Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-02-10, 10:31   Link #81
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsumei View Post
^ Thanks. She's going to be living with a foster family while she's there teaching. She want a place where she can go out have some fun and buy some stuff (food, clothes, etc.) once in a while without breaking bank. Out of all the places you mention above, which place is closest to meeting her needs? Thanks again.
I think Tama is better. It's actually closer to what the others mentioned, and getting into Tokyo is fairly easier, just use Chuo Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post

I want to live in the Saitama Prefecture. I originally wanted to live in Tokyo but over these long seven years I decided on a different location. Saitama looks more relaxing and nicer. Nonetheless I will still venture to Tokyo and Osaka...and Kyoto.

Saitama? That'll prove troublesome. I suggest looking west of Tokyo, like Tama, Kanagawa and the likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylaran View Post
Japan's prices are relatively standard, at least from what I've heard. I'm not sure if there'd be a significant difference between living expenses in the suburbs or the big city, so your sister might not really have that option. You can still find relatively cheap places all over Tokyo (she'd have to check areas out individually). But trying to squeeze every cent's worth in Japan is a bit difficult. Highest per capita income isn't very helpful either. ^^;
Not true. In Tokyo and Kanagawa, yes. Even Saitama, Chiba. But Tama seems to be the odd one out. Probably because it's a bedtown for Tokyo and that it's relatively less accessible to other parts of Japan, but OK when it comes to going to Tokyo.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 11:53   Link #82
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Saitama? That'll prove troublesome. I suggest looking west of Tokyo, like Tama, Kanagawa and the likes.
I did consider Tokyo, and I definitely would still, although Saitama does look a more fitting place for me. Saitama is my preference location although I would still love to settle for various Tokyo or Osaka locales.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-10, 19:30   Link #83
rio

Quote:
I did consider Tokyo, and I definitely would still, although Saitama does look a more fitting place for me. Saitama is my preference location although I would still love to settle for various Tokyo or Osaka locales.
i agree with ShimatheKat, Kanagawa is a very good prefecture to live in.(For me, even more than Tokyo)
So i recommend Kanagawa. What's more, Kangawa has a very good big city Yokohama, so you can enjoy even if you don't go out to Tokyo.
Old 2009-02-11, 03:46   Link #84
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
i agree with ShimatheKat, Kanagawa is a very good prefecture to live in.(For me, even more than Tokyo)
So i recommend Kanagawa. What's more, Kangawa has a very good big city Yokohama, so you can enjoy even if you don't go out to Tokyo.
Kanagawa is nice, but I didn't like it much because it's pretty rural outside Yokohama, Kawasaki and the other areas near Tokyo. Tama is better because government offices are slowly being moved there, which is accompanied with other amenities.

And Saitama is expensive in the city, rural out of it, unless you're looking at Tsukuba.
Old 2009-02-11, 07:05   Link #85
Amray

Quote:
Kanagawa is nice, but I didn't like it much because it's pretty rural outside Yokohama, Kawasaki and the other areas near Tokyo. Tama is better because government offices are slowly being moved there, which is accompanied with other amenities.

And Saitama is expensive in the city, rural out of it, unless you're looking at Tsukuba.
I see.
I would not at all mind living in a more rural area although I would like it to be close to a city. That is of course if a rural was a main preference, but I would like to live in a nice city. A city near a rural area would be fine.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 22:47   Link #86
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
@ Amray - Please don't take anything I say as discouraging, because I love to see people chase after their dreams as long as they're careful, practical, and realistic about it, and would hate to be the reason someone gave up on theirs. If you want to work for the police in Japan I think your options are very limited, in that you would find it extremely difficult to get hired outside of an area with a high population of foreigners. And even then, it would be difficult. Someone please jump in if they've heard of anyone, but I don't think I've ever heard of a non-Japanese working for the police or a similar position. But again, don't get discouraged with this. You just have to research your options.

A question: Does anybody here have dual citizenship with Japan and another country? If so, do you know the whole low down on the 21 years old deal? Cause I've heard it go both ways. That you have to choose at 21, and also that it's ok to keep both as long as no one really finds out. I’m just a little worried because, I'm going to be turning 21 soon and I would absolutely freak out if somehow my Japanese citizenship was cancelled due to some procedure I failed to follow.

And then onto a lighter topic, a few years ago my Dad was participating at the Sapporo Snow festival and he was talking to some guy who was from, I think, Sweeden or Norway that happened to live in Hakodate, Hokkaidou. The guy told my Dad about this deal that the Gov of Hokkaidou does where they'll give you free land in exchange for you living there. I think it's a pretty sweet deal as land is really expensive, and Hokkaidou is just beautiful. Only problem is that pretty much everything I want to do work-wise, would be down in Tokyo so I wouldn't be able to live there. I wonder if they have some deal for second houses that you'd just visit occasionally. Probably not.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 00:01   Link #87
oompa loompa

mmm well.. in a few months i will be in japan ( finallyy.. ive been looking forward to this.. unless the whole plan completely crashes ). I'm actually going to do a bit of teaching english there, dont know how good ill manage considering ive only done a year of japanese, and by the end of the year ( academic year) ill only know.. mm ~100 kanji? if thats any indicator.. so i guess itll be kinda tough, but i'm sure ill have a great time..

though, i'm wondering more about my future - in 4 years specifically.. ideally id want to go and work in japan for a few years.. i mean, i'm just a freshman now, so i havnt thoroughly researched what my opportunities are, at any rate since im already working there this summer, hopefully ill get an internship next summer etc etc ( yes, getting the internship is not really the problem..) and do so for atleast 1 more year after that.. id like to work in japan for a little while ( undecided time period - very flexible ).. im a econ+comp sci double major ( yeah i know its not the best time for econ.. hopefully itll be better by the time i graduate ) and a math and japanese double minor ( if i can fit the japanese minor in - it might get sticky towards the end ).

any opinions on the route i should/might take? ( havnt really decided on what i want to do career wise - after going through a few phases where i would decide i always quickly change my mind -so i'm putting that off for now - hence my options are open )
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 07:28   Link #88
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
@ Amray - Please don't take anything I say as discouraging, because I love to see people chase after their dreams as long as they're careful, practical, and realistic about it, and would hate to be the reason someone gave up on theirs. If you want to work for the police in Japan I think your options are very limited, in that you would find it extremely difficult to get hired outside of an area with a high population of foreigners. And even then, it would be difficult. Someone please jump in if they've heard of anyone, but I don't think I've ever heard of a non-Japanese working for the police or a similar position. But again, don't get discouraged with this. You just have to research your options.
Whoa, wall of text and codes. Whatever.
I can only say this... go ask about in the Tourist Police section. I think that's the best idea IMO.

Quote:
A question: Does anybody here have dual citizenship with Japan and another country? If so, do you know the whole low down on the 21 years old deal? Cause I've heard it go both ways. That you have to choose at 21, and also that it's ok to keep both as long as no one really finds out. I’m just a little worried because, I'm going to be turning 21 soon and I would absolutely freak out if somehow my Japanese citizenship was cancelled due to some procedure I failed to follow.
OK... I dunno about this. I hold a BNO passport, with a registered address in HK.

Quote:
And then onto a lighter topic, a few years ago my Dad was participating at the Sapporo Snow festival and he was talking to some guy who was from, I think, Sweeden or Norway that happened to live in Hakodate, Hokkaidou. The guy told my Dad about this deal that the Gov of Hokkaido does where they'll give you free land in exchange for you living there. I think it's a pretty sweet deal as land is really expensive, and Hokkaidou is just beautiful. Only problem is that pretty much everything I want to do work-wise, would be down in Tokyo so I wouldn't be able to live there. I wonder if they have some deal for second houses that you'd just visit occasionally. Probably not.
That's true, but then...
  1. Distance. Usually, they're far from most facilities, and you'll probably get lots of land, but the only amenity is probably a train stop.
  2. I think that you can use it for a second home, IF you can find a way to rent the house out at other times of the year
  3. You might not like the place they assign to you.
  4. JR Hokkaido's train fares are higher than in any other part of Japan.

So, think about it carefully.
Old 2009-02-26, 09:35   Link #89
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:

My dream job is to be a detective. If I end up remaining in England doing that then that is fair enough, although I would love to live and work in Japan more.
I believe you need Japanese citizenship to become a government employee. Might be a little hard.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 15:07   Link #90
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Whoa, wall of text and codes. Whatever.

Quote:
OK... I dunno about this. I hold a BNO passport, with a registered address in HK.
What's a BNO passport?
Quote:
That's true, but then...
  1. Distance. Usually, they're far from most facilities, and you'll probably get lots of land, but the only amenity is probably a train stop.
  2. I think that you can use it for a second home, IF you can find a way to rent the house out at other times of the year
  3. You might not like the place they assign to you.
  4. JR Hokkaido's train fares are higher than in any other part of Japan.
So, think about it carefully.
Hmm...so it was true. I didn't know you had no choice in the land. Don't worry, I'd do plenty of research if it got to the point where I was serious about this. It's nice to know that options are available though.
Old 2009-02-27, 09:39   Link #91
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
There was a lot of coding in your text.

Quote:
What's a BNO passport?
British National Overseas.

Quote:
Hmm...so it was true. I didn't know you had no choice in the land. Don't worry, I'd do plenty of research if it got to the point where I was serious about this. It's nice to know that options are available though.
They give you a few choices, but that's about it. They release in batches usually.
Old 2009-02-27, 23:00   Link #92
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
There was a lot of coding in your text.
That's what's making me go . What coding are you talking about? Or are you saying I speak in code somehow?

Quote:
British National Overseas.
なるほど

Quote:
They give you a few choices, but that's about it. They release in batches usually.
Hmm...oh well, one can't complain about free stuff.
Old 2009-02-28, 08:30   Link #93
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
That's what's making me go . What coding are you talking about? Or are you saying I speak in code somehow?
Formatting. Verdana, black, and others. it's default, afaik.

Quote:

Mmhmm.

Quote:
Hmm...oh well, one can't complain about free stuff.
In any case, i'm not interested in the scheme.
Old 2009-03-17, 04:58   Link #94
christine_cute
A total anime freak^^

although i want to go to japan.......i would prefer not to settle there since the population on that island is growing rapidly......it is causing lot of pollution and deforestation.......but i would not mind to go there for a trip
christine_cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 14:21   Link #95
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
i would prefer not to settle there since the population on that island is growing rapidly
Actually it's one of the few countries with a declining population. And to counter that, there's a lot of discussion going on, on whether or not to let foreigners supplement that decline.

We may see a very different Japan in the not so distant future. It’s something that has me worried. I don't believe that Japan should end up like the States, but I would like to see some xenophobic elements axed from society.
Old 2009-03-17, 15:06   Link #96
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
i dont want to move to japan
there is a not-harmonic clima, the everyday life is stressful (i heard so) and the air is not that clear as in germany

if i am wrong plz correct me
Old 2009-03-17, 16:21   Link #97
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
i dont want to move to japan
there is a not-harmonic clima, the everyday life is stressful (i heard so) and the air is not that clear as in germany

if i am wrong plz correct me
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this part. But for the rest, you just don't have to live in the cities and you'll be fine. It doesn't take long to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Old 2009-03-17, 16:31   Link #98
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
i meant that the atmosphere is surely very disorderd, neighbours don't know each other and so on
u already mentioned it
Old 2009-03-17, 17:02   Link #99
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
i meant that the atmosphere is surely very disorderd, neighbours don't know each other and so on
u already mentioned it
Isn't that the same in any large city?
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 05:44   Link #100
christine_cute
A total anime freak^^

Quote:
Actually it's one of the few countries with a declining population. And to counter that, there's a lot of discussion going on, on whether or not to let foreigners supplement that decline.

We may see a very different Japan in the not so distant future. It’s something that has me worried. I don't believe that Japan should end up like the States, but I would like to see some xenophobic elements axed from society.
ya maybe you are right and anyways i highly acknowledge and respect the japanese culture and my location doesn't matter.......there are many people like you who have the same thoughts(makes me a bit sad) and i actually feel its right for you to think so.......(i so wish i was born as a japanese)........but my primary concern is anime which i love through my heart^^
christine_cute is offline   Reply With Quote