AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-03, 21:42   Link #1281
lordshadowisle

A second thought on the episode: Weren't the same tactics were previously against the Ades? a) Using smokescreens to cause the numerical superiority of the Ades to work against themselves (early on in the series), and b) Causing some ice/rock collapse to damage a large number of enemy ships at once (Sky pirates). I guess the Ades admirals really need to start sharing stories of their defeats with each other

A lot's been said about the flagship being sunk by a single hit, so I really think the Ades should work on having redundant systems, or at least some form of advanced damage control. Unless of course, their design philosophy is "Big guns with engines strapped on", which then makes sense why they have more ships than just about everyone else...
lordshadowisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 21:48   Link #1282
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Spoiler for megami nsfw:
Old 2011-12-03, 21:50   Link #1283
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshadowisle View Post
A second thought on the episode: Weren't the same tactics were previously against the Ades? a) Using smokescreens to cause the numerical superiority of the Ades to work against themselves (early on in the series), and b) Causing some ice/rock collapse to damage a large number of enemy ships at once (Sky pirates). I guess the Ades admirals really need to start sharing stories of their defeats with each other

A lot's been said about the flagship being sunk by a single hit, so I really think the Ades should work on having redundant systems, or at least some form of advanced damage control. Unless of course, their design philosophy is "Big guns with engines strapped on", which then makes sense why they have more ships than just about everyone else...
Sky pirates use ice/rock collapse to create gas tornado that enables the Sky pirates to escape. It didn't cause any damage to the 3rd fleet.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 22:11   Link #1284
DangerMouse

Hmm, and the problem with learning from the communications problems in smoke cover is that it's a technological limitation, maybe there's something they could do but it'd probably be trying to minimize it by being more prepared but until they actually develop ship-to-ship communication they'll always have to rely on signaling. There's no real way around this until they make the technological leap to radio/real-time communications.

On upgrading their ships, I agree, they're probably already at work on ship changes at least for the next line of ships though those will obviously be slower than the weapons that they're already in the midst of trying to roll out since those weaknesses are part of the hull design, we'll probably see some patchwork attempts coming up.

Looking at those cockpits and computer-style displays and how refined their designs look going by their fighters, Glacias is really impressive, they've got some stuff approaching what's usually associated with the Guild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Spoiler for megami nsfw:
There we go.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-12-03 at 22:43.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 22:46   Link #1285
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Is it Glacias, or Gracies? I'm hearing both pronunciations, either way, this episode was certainly full of excitement and combat to make up for the previous episodes of just hunting ships. What language are the Gracies pilots speaking, I noticed that sudden change of language and the writing below their words. So I figured it was another language. But other then that, those ships they have are quite amazing. Able to take down an Ades ship with ease.

Poor Gisey, Fam really needs to find out what's going on or it will definitely be bad. I'm definitely expecting an argument to arouse from these two in future episodes. It's true that the Ades admirals need to share stories of how they lost.. Losing to smokescreen twice in one season is quite a disappointment
Old 2011-12-03, 22:58   Link #1286
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshadowisle View Post
A) In this case the Silvius was actually using it as cover and sniping Ades ships turrets along the way. It wasn't actively using the enemies signals against it self. The Ades ship don't have good ears, that's their real problem. While Cecily is really good, wait, more like godly, she's a living sonar!

B) The rocks were a side effect of the Silvius making itself a path where there used to be a dead end. Blowing the cliff up made big rocks flew everywhere... The Sky pirates used the ice/rocks as a mean of escape by causing a airflow tornado.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 23:01   Link #1287
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Spoiler for megami nsfw:
The picture dives a point home for this episode as Fam has:

Spoiler for what Fam did:

Thing is Fan is just dead insensitive. She does what she does and she do take responsibility, even if its unnecessary. But its she never thinks how others feel about it.

Now that Fan has completed her contract, either she goes home with Gisey, or stay with Millia. I'd be surprised if she did went home. Also now that the Silvius is damaged, due to Tatiana's smile, it may return to Anatoray for repairs and, for hard core fans, finally meet the rest of the older cast of this series, especially Claus.

Now that I thought about it, didn't he had the same problem with Lavie?

off-Topic:

Welcome Julio!

And can anyone tell me which issue of Megami is that so I can order it already?
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 23:16   Link #1288
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Is it Glacias, or Gracies? I'm hearing both pronunciations, either way, this episode was certainly full of excitement and combat to make up for the previous episodes of just hunting ships. What language are the Gracies pilots speaking, I noticed that sudden change of language and the writing below their words. So I figured it was another language. But other then that, those ships they have are quite amazing. Able to take down an Ades ship with ease.

Poor Gisey, Fam really needs to find out what's going on or it will definitely be bad. I'm definitely expecting an argument to arouse from these two in future episodes. It's true that the Ades admirals need to share stories of how they lost.. Losing to smokescreen twice in one season is quite a disappointment
I've got the same question! Guess we'll have to wait until Monday for the Funi stream for at least the temporary official name until we get to the BD/DVD release.

They're speaking Russian.

Yeah djmaca Fam's gonna need to face and "get" what's going on with Gisey and not just refuse to face it/hopefully not remain insensitive about it as while it's probably not effecting her as much since her insensitivity also is what helps her act in a crisis/combat, it was ofcourse a low moment in their team taking out Millia since we never saw her ask Gisey and she hasn't tried to pep talk Gisey as strongly, she needs to step up and reconnect with her partner, it feels like Gisey's gonna snap at her which might kick that off since like Claus Fam'll need to be hit over the head with it as she's pretty insensitive in this area to realize she's been taking her partner for granted with all the support she's been giving Millia to rebuild herself after the collapse of her "world" while not noticing or at least acknowledging Gisey's collapse.

They didn't really lose to the smoke screen though and they didn't start shooting at each other through it this time, the Silvius used it on itself in this new tactic as cover as they made their move, as azarhal mentions with Cecily they didn't need visual targeting.

TheKage already pointed out below the ice one which was not an attack or meant to damage ships. And the rocks here were just debris from the Silvius blasting it's way through part of the cliff in a surprise move since to most sonar officers they'd be caught and those ships that got hit by the debris would have had them, this was a pure surprise maneuver due to the Silvius being the Silvius, even Sadri was taken aback (dropping his cane, acknowledging it as the reaper) and he's no slouch as evidenced from this battle.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-12-04 at 00:06.
Old 2011-12-03, 23:17   Link #1289
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Glad to be here.

I was watching some of the earlier episodes today, and I caught something interesting regarding the Sylvius. I don't know how many actually caught this, but I like to show it anyway.
Spoiler for sylvius:
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 23:26   Link #1290
TheKage

The Sky Pirates didn't use ice/rock to destroy any type of fleet. The collapse of the ice/rock formed a gustnado (a word apparently accepted by mostly those in the midwest of the US since they usually happen in that area) that the Sky Pirates used to rapidly escape into what is normally a very tumultuous airspace. The reason that Orang's fleet couldn't do anything after that was because the grand birds were just too many that it was hard for any shooters to be able to fire on them.

Don't know when or if anyone's noticed, but the japanese site for Fam now lists the Glacies craft we saw. Would be interesting to know what it's about. Curious though, I haven't seen that red vanship that is featured near it (not Tatiana's)

Funico's subs use Glacies so I'll be using Glacies unless it's changed for some reason.

I've just realized that the ED is engrish. xD

As far as I can tell, the shot through thin sheet of bedrock was a maneuver out of what seemed (to the Ades Federation) a trap that they won't be able to get out of the mountain and would be forced to give in against the fleet. Unfortunately for Sadri, Silvius's armament has weapons enough for a thin sheet of rock that Cecily can find that is enough to blast through and give the Silvius an escape. Neither hits on ice/rock (Sky Pirates in ep 7 and Silvius in ep 8) were meant to cause damage but to escape.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 23:37   Link #1291
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
this time they didn't even make a mistake on how the enemy might used the environment of the battlefield, this was a pure surprise maneuver due to the Silvius being the Silvius, even Sadri was taken aback and he's no slouch as evidenced from this battle.
I don't think anybody could suspect that that Silvius had weapons that could blow up cliffs. Also, using the other ship as spring board was genius, so was using the big canons to create a "trampoline" with the Grand lake and slow down the Silvius's descent. Those canons have a lot of recoil too if it slowed down the Silvius just by firing. Not sure about the real world physics, but it was "cool" to watch.

I find it funny that Sadri and his XO though she wanted to destroy the ship, because she wasn't surrendering. I guess it's the standard in the "Grand Lake", when you are in a dead end or heavily damaged. This might explain why the Sky pirates have it easy at stealing ships.

@TheKage: The smaller vanship is a racer as seen in episode 6.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 23:44   Link #1292
TheKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I don't think anybody could suspect that that Silvius had weapons that could blow up cliffs.
@TheKage: The smaller vanship is a racer as seen in episode 6.
It should be noted though that those weapons aren't enough to blast any hole through any part of a mountain. It has to be a thin sheet of bedrock or else they'd probably have to fire a few more shots than the one they had fired in this episode.

Welp, no wonder. I didn't pay attention to any of the vanships except for Fam's or what's his name's during the race.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 23:52   Link #1293
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Glad to be here.

I was watching some of the earlier episodes today, and I caught something interesting regarding the Sylvius. I don't know how many actually caught this, but I like to show it anyway.
Spoiler for sylvius:
The large cannon was spotted earlier and there was mention of those guns being the equivalent to the Schwerer Gustav - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 00:03   Link #1294
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I find it funny that Sadri and his XO though she wanted to destroy the ship, because she wasn't surrendering. I guess it's the standard in the "Grand Lake", when you are in a dead end or heavily damaged. This might explain why the Sky pirates have it easy at stealing ships.
Fixed my post, the ice last time too also wasn't really a mistake or a tactic.

Yup there's no way anyone could have expected that weapon, nor that the Silvius' listening officer rocks and could find a spot their weapon could shoot through even if they could have made that lucky guess, this was pure Silvius proving itself.

Yeah, she wasn't done fighting her way out yet Given the circumstances I could also see them possibly jumping to the conclusion she was going to sacrifice it since they still have no idea where that ship comes from as the ship's still a mystery to them, they might be thinking they're the type that would destroy it to keep their secrets.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-12-04 at 00:27.
Old 2011-12-04, 01:09   Link #1295
stormwaltzing
Little Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
And can anyone tell me which issue of Megami is that so I can order it already?
I wish someone who was buying the monthly anime mags could scan the Fam features if it's in any of them. '-' I'd hate to miss on more images like this, and I sadly can't afford buying three a month anymore, baw.
Old 2011-12-04, 01:38   Link #1296
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwaltzing View Post
I wish someone who was buying the monthly anime mags could scan the Fam features if it's in any of them. '-' I'd hate to miss on more images like this, and I sadly can't afford buying three a month anymore, baw.
That would be really cool if it's appeared in any other issues.
Old 2011-12-04, 01:40   Link #1297
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well this is hilarious.

NSFW

EDIT: I just watch ep8 again and notice the OP has change a little during the part Fam and Millia turn into wings.

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2011-12-04 at 01:56.
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 01:49   Link #1298
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Holy shit....godly ep....

The insert BGM, and the air battle....

First we have the carrier battles of the Pacific redux and then we have demonstration of Cold War era tech lol

The USSR Glacies is now my favorite faction....

MiG 25 vs WWII era craft....major curbstomp...

And is that radar I see that they're using....

Also....they really need to make their craft tougher...if someone with a sidearm can take out a capital flagship....WTF

I wonder if Glacies will now counter-attack Ades...

And dammit the Russian flight leader is hot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
What's this? Russian language in Last Exile? And the ED sang in Russian too!?
Thank you Animax for understanding and subbing the ED!

Anyway, that was a magnificent battle. Those Rocket Vanships from Glacies were damm amazing and overkill! Their Vanships are Jets with Cannons! And they're all Russians!(Actually Japanese VAs speaking Russian but at least one of VA's is an actually Russian.)

So is the script that everyone seems to be using Russian or Greek?

Quote:
Don't know when or if anyone's noticed, but the japanese site for Fam now lists the Glacies craft we saw. Would be interesting to know what it's about.
Unfortunately the script is too small to be seen...does a bigger version exist?

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2011-12-04 at 02:13.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 05:27   Link #1299
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
speaking of pics: do have have news of when the artbooks appear?
Saint X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 06:02   Link #1300
Mercurius.H
King of Hg

Glaciesian in this show is scripted by Jenya, a Russian seiyuu currently working in Japan. She also plays one role.

http://ameblo.jp/jenya/entry-11097673835.html

According to her blog, although it was denoted as "Glaciesian", it's not based on Russian but Russian itself.

Since I don't speak Russian, could anyone tell if the pronunciations are Russian or more Russhian?

I have discovered a truly remarkable signature which this margin is too small to contain.
Mercurius.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, science fiction