AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-09-20, 19:18   Link #301
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If you aproach it as a pure stealth game, yes. But Deus Ex isn't a pure stealth game. It's a "chose what you want to do" game. You can go in a possible hostile base sneaking, or you can go in guns blazing. You can knock out all the guards, or just sneak by them, hack a terminal and tell the local turrets and bots to open fire. Or you can leave them alone. Sometimes you can even talk a guard or boss into giving you access to the base.

In Deus Ex, the question is never "is [insert playstyle] as good as others in the genre?" but "can I do it?" It's a game of choice. A jack of all trades. And with being a jack of all trades comes the natural downside that its also a master of none.
well.. It feels to me that the options presented aren't polished enough. I feel that it doesn't really reward experimentation. And there's really only two play styles. Either you avoid a fight, or you fight through it. And the game encourages you to not get into an open fight.

When it comes to multiple options to finish an assignment, I was hoping something like the Hitman series if it were a stealth game or something like Vampire the Masquerade if it were an RPG. This game was neither.

I also don't like that the only way you can physically interact with the environment is to move crates and boxes. Is that arm just for show? why can't I break through a door? how about turning off the electricity and using my aug vision to get a sneak at the enemy? It could have been so much more, but it's not there yet.

It could learn a lot from the Metal Gear Solid series. Speaking of which.. the boss battles.. they need a lot of work
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 11:19   Link #302
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
It could learn a lot from the Metal Gear Solid series. Speaking of which.. the boss battles.. they need a lot of work
MGS became a continuity wreck. Deus Ex managed to avoid that. The game rewarded experimentation. Go down all the way in a worker tunnel? Find a praxis kit. Combine a fragmentation grenade with a mine template? Congrats, you just got a mini claymore.

HR's experimentation was largely based on exploration, and it encouraged both fight and flight. You could snipe someone from the roof, sneak up on someone and kill and the person next to them, or you could just throw a grenade and hope for the best result.

Human Revolution is only really 'stiff' when it comes to augmentation. You have to know what will best for your playstyle, otherwise it'll be possibly wasted. This can be handwaved by a steep learning curve, however.

It was less of a "Play like this, or that way" and more of a "You can play like this, and mix it with that".

The game didn't really reward experimentation? Oh, you. Though yes the boss battles needed a lot of work.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 19:24   Link #303
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
well.. It feels to me that the options presented aren't polished enough. I feel that it doesn't really reward experimentation. And there's really only two play styles. Either you avoid a fight, or you fight through it. And the game encourages you to not get into an open fight.
Well......you could also get a robot/turret to do the fighting for some parts for you.

There's also the option of doing non-lethal takedowns instead of lethal takedowns.

In any case I found that even maintaining a killer's streak you still get enough praxis points to upgrade most of the necessary augs. It just takes a bit longer but not that much so long as you continue to explore and such.

Quote:
When it comes to multiple options to finish an assignment, I was hoping something like the Hitman series if it were a stealth game or something like Vampire the Masquerade if it were an RPG. This game was neither.

I also don't like that the only way you can physically interact with the environment is to move crates and boxes. Is that arm just for show? why can't I break through a door? how about turning off the electricity and using my aug vision to get a sneak at the enemy? It could have been so much more, but it's not there yet.
Uh there are places where you can turn off the breaker in order to move into another area as well as blast open weak walls to access other areas.

But in regards to the door that's just gameplay for you.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 21:24   Link #304
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
But in regards to the door that's just gameplay for you.
In one mission, I unintentionally had a hostile mech blew up a door just as I was about to hack it.

...It was a total action-comedy movie scenario
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 05:43   Link #305
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Here's a mod to remove the Gold filter in the game

Deus Ex Mod Removes "Gold" Filter, Game Suddenly Looks Even Better
Old 2011-09-24, 16:45   Link #306
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Here's a mod to remove the Gold filter in the game

Deus Ex Mod Removes "Gold" Filter, Game Suddenly Looks Even Better
Wow. Well to be fair the gold-filter version looks aesthetically better.
Old 2011-09-24, 17:20   Link #307
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
In one mission, I unintentionally had a hostile mech blew up a door just as I was about to hack it.

For that matter I just realized there are three options to doors.

1. Hack the lock
2. Find the keycode from someone else
3. Blow the damn door open

I seriously did not know you could simply blast your way in so long as the door is not reinforced.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 19:00   Link #308
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

I seriously did not know you could simply blast your way in so long as the door is not reinforced.
I had suspected but never proven up to that point (I mean, what with hacking becoming easier...)
Old 2011-09-24, 21:01   Link #309
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
For that matter I just realized there are three options to doors.

1. Hack the lock
2. Find the keycode from someone else
3. Blow the damn door open

There is a reason why they give you the ROCKET LAUNCHER silly.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 21:05   Link #310
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
There is a reason why they give you the ROCKET LAUNCHER silly.
"Little piggy, little piggy, let me in~!"
Old 2011-09-25, 03:05   Link #311
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Shotgun works too, I've heard.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 04:17   Link #312
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
"Little piggy, little piggy, let me in~!"
And I'll lock, and load, and blow your door down!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 06:18   Link #313
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Use Vending Machine. Much more better.
Old 2011-09-25, 06:48   Link #314
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Vneding Machines - the all purpose multi-tool. Weapon, Key, Food.
Old 2011-09-25, 07:08   Link #315
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Vneding Machines - the all purpose multi-tool. Weapon, Key, Food.
Don't forget, Stepladder.

Narf.
Old 2011-09-25, 08:06   Link #316
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

A tribute to Vending Machines.

Old 2011-09-25, 12:21   Link #317
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Use Vending Machine. Much more better.
Vending machines, you say?

IZAAAAAAAAYAAAAAA~!

Old 2011-09-25, 13:45   Link #318
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
now that I have played in finished it I can say my opinion:

It IS a worthy prequel to Deus EX, it ties in nicely with the original game and the setting itself gives a feeling of "Golden Age about to collapse". The game being in french I had not much complaints about the dubbing that had managed well.

+ The story. Thrilling, captivating and never manichean. Even Taggart and his faction who appeared at first like first class douchebags have gained in depth, and dimension beyond RAWR WE ARE EVIL.

+ The options. Combat, stealth, social and hacking. You have it and it satisfied me. Many will reproach stealth and hacking to be more rewarding than plain run & gun. In my opinion, it is fine that way. Run & gun vets should not have problems using what they have learned from other FPS to deal with what Deus EX HR throws at them and may need less augmentations than the others (they may need what? The inventory expansion? The icarus landing system? Anything else). I myself found out that I would not know where to put my praxis points, because I have filled anything I needed, inventory, hacking, stealth and social.

+ The music. It's in tune with the Cyberpunk + Renaissance theme that the designers wanted to convey.

+ Adam Jensen. As a character, he have been shining a lot for me. He was more than the player in-game avatar. He had a place in the world, questioned it and had his ideas on many things.

+ The Social Battles. Where we could see a glimpse of Jensen's character and really I LOVED them.

- The stealth was actually lacking for me, who was used to Metal Gear Solid AND *shivers* COMMANDOS. Yes, the masochist inside me WANTED the game to be as HARD as the Commandos series.

- Which brings me to... The AI. Many instances where the AI got hilariously bad. At least, in MGS2, and onward, the sentinels sent in a team when one of them did not answer to their radio call.

- The boss fights were a middle finger to what Deus Ex have been about. You know, a sandbox where you could choose your way to defeat your enemies. This kind of boss fight have their place in the Metal Gear Solid, and at least MGS made them compelling. Barret pissed me off, Yelena was over the instant I "marked" her and Jaron got stunlocked by me stunlocking him with the explosive rounds of my faithful revolver.

- The animations, some of them were cringeworthy, it could have been done better I think.

Overall? It thoroughly enjoyed the game and if they wanted to remake Deus EX 1 to follow up on Deus EX HR, PLEASE DO IT.

EDIT: And really, I can't understand the complaints about "Not enough weapons". Maybe if you have this "Another FPS" mindset, yes. But Deus EX is not and have never been a true FPS. Many players will use at most TWO weapons, preferably modded with the upgrades. Mine were the assault rifle and the revolver. Everything else were grenades and mines.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Sheba; 2011-09-25 at 13:57.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 21:11   Link #319
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:

And you didn't even scream "Successful break and entry!"? My god, and people say I have a poor sense of humor.

Though I didn't even know you could do that to doors. Would've made my kill-everything-that-moves playthrough so much more satisfying.

Also I hate the mechs. Deus Ex makes each one of them an utter bitch to kill.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 21:16   Link #320
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recite View Post
And you didn't even scream "Successful break and entry!"? My god, and people say I have a poor sense of humor.
Well in the real world, you just blinked and go "Oh, Okay..." "That's one way to do it I guess..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recite View Post
Though I didn't even know you could do that to doors. Would've made my kill-everything-that-moves playthrough so much more satisfying.

Also I hate the mechs. Deus Ex makes each one of them an utter bitch to kill.
The first time I had to fight a mech I panicked because I didn't carry any heavy weapons with me. As I desperately searched my inventory for a way to save Malik, I noticed this weird blue colored object at the corner of my screen.

EMP Grenade.

Never leave home without it.