AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/stay Night Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 27 15.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 28.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 26.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 34 20.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 5.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.37%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-04-25, 21:21   Link #261
Shrimpcraft

Seeing Saber with dual swords wouldn't make sense....knights only wield one sword =S and if they said her origin was in England...even more impossible with the Knight's code of honor.
Shrimpcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 21:28   Link #262
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpcraft
Seeing Saber with dual swords wouldn't make sense....knights only wield one sword =S and if they said her origin was in England...even more impossible with the Knight's code of honor.
Yep, thats what i said - but a fan can still dream.
Old 2006-04-25, 21:32   Link #263
kamikazex

soo...now that she seen her caliburn...would she keep using excaliber?
if her other sword is better..
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 21:36   Link #264
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazex
I think not if it keeps disappearing on her and draining Shirou's mana. Excalibur will probably still be her main weapon.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 21:38   Link #265
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
In a way, that wasen't her Caliburn - and i'm sure Saber would rather use her own sword, then a traced copy.
Old 2006-04-25, 21:57   Link #266
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
In a way, that wasen't her Caliburn - and i'm sure Saber would rather use her own sword, then a traced copy.
A copy wouldn't be as good as the original in the first place, much less a noob traced weapon.

Of course, unless the weapon was....you know what I mean.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 22:01   Link #267
kamikazex

well..her excaliber didnt do jack damage to beserker
Old 2006-04-25, 22:08   Link #268
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
well..her excaliber didnt do jack damage to beserker
But Saber's NP would have.
Old 2006-04-25, 22:17   Link #269
kamikazex

can she use caliburn w/ NP
cuz that'd be even better probably
+ if she got her sword case
Old 2006-04-26, 00:10   Link #270
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I wonder if she is able to use NP with caliburn.. Because if you look carefully at when she uses it, it doesn't seem like the sword is causing dmg but the mana and the magic around the sword that seems to shoot out...

But of course with Shirou's determination seen in episode 16 when he says he will make the sword just like it, Just maybe he may accomplish it? Haha ^^
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 00:56   Link #271
kamikazex

woudnt be suprized if she can
Old 2006-04-26, 01:32   Link #272
Fire Ice
Almost dead inside...

Y'know...This might not be the greatest episode thus far...But I'll give it a seven for one reason...And one reason alone...

Berserker talked :O
Fire Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 01:43   Link #273
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
A copy wouldn't be as good as the original in the first place, much less a noob traced weapon.

Of course, unless the weapon was....you know what I mean.
Any weapon Shirou traced will be de-ranked by one. (e.g. Excalibur is rank A++, Shirou trace one, the best it can be is rank A+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
But Saber's NP would have.
Scary beam weapon it is...
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 03:51   Link #274
Mirtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpcraft
Time for me to play the smartass, sorry about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia.com
There was no single code that served as a definition of how a knight should act, but there were several lists written down during the Middle Ages. One example code can be found in the book Chivalry by 19th century French historian Leon Gautier.

* Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches, and shalt observe all its directions.
* Thou shalt defend the Church.
* Thou shalt respect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
* Thou shalt love the country in the which thou wast born.
* Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
* Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy.
* Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
* Thou shalt never lie, and shall remain faithful to thy pledged word.
* Thou shalt be generous, and give largess to everyone.
* Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.
And as far as I remember our teachings in school and my visit to europe (especially malta) and their castles and history there is no rule that would forbid wielding two swords. At least none I would have ever heared of.
The reason we see Knight on drawings, etc. ... wielding only one sword is that around the 13th century longswords became like the state of the art and were used two-handed. Now using it with one hand was first stupid since you lost all it's advances (like the attack power, etc. ...) and second almosst impossible since they were damn heavy (everyone who ever saw some of them in a museum knows what I mean here).
I don't see why she could not use two swords at once, this is an anime. The swords have no real weight there and we all know that style counts more than realism.
Spoiler:
Mirtual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 04:11   Link #275
Hiruma_ya_ha

Episode 16 was ok, it did have some pretty good scenes and I never thought that Berserker would speak .
Hiruma_ya_ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 04:38   Link #276
gammaoh
Reality Marble User

Thanks for all this info.

Although I'm French, I didn't know about this book. But it's true there are a lot of codes for that.

The thing is, as you said, wielding a two-handed sword with one hand is extremely difficult.

First, you gotta be extremely strong. I've tried to wield and swing a real two-handed sword (a friend of mine has one from the Middle Ages...) and I can assure you that you have to brush up your skills before being really able to do such a thing.

Second, two-handed swords were not that used. Sure, they had their meanings during some wars but it was impossible to wield them while riding... The heavy cavalry always used a lance while charging, one-handed swords in other situations. And two-handed swords when unmounted (though that it's not so sure, since they also wielded a shield, which would mean that they kept on using a one-handed sword).

For instance, people used to ride their horse on the left of the road because people were usually right-handed... thus, could fight properly during a nasty encounter.

The British have kept this system but Napoleon imposed a drive on the right system in Europe. (As Napoleon always failed to conquer Britain, they kept this system).

I don't know why I'm talking about this...

Sorry for playing the smartass as well
gammaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 05:57   Link #277
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Two handed swords are usually not for fights, but rather, to cut through heavy armors and shields. For users of these swords, their skill is not rated at how they wield the swords, but how many swings they can do within a limited time. Because of the power of the sword itself packs, there's no need for skill. Shield or armor, it just cuts through...all the swordsman needed to do is chop, move on to the next target, chop, and so on...(scary...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtual
And as far as I remember our teachings in school and my visit to europe (especially malta) and their castles and history there is no rule that would forbid wielding two swords. At least none I would have ever heared of.
The reason we see Knight on drawings, etc. ... wielding only one sword is that around the 13th century longswords became like the state of the art and were used two-handed. Now using it with one hand was first stupid since you lost all it's advances (like the attack power, etc. ...) and second almosst impossible since they were damn heavy (everyone who ever saw some of them in a museum knows what I mean here).
I don't see why she could not use two swords at once, this is an anime. The swords have no real weight there and we all know that style counts more than realism.
usually a knight have many swords, but when in battle, they bring one and only one sword, which is the one their lords give them to. Chivary doesn't limit them to use other swords, but doing so would show that they'd use someone else's swords rather than the one their lord have given them. This would imply that they don't trust their lord and show disloyalty to them. The other swords a knight keep are for sparing, decorations, defense and for their squires to clean(for no darn reason, yeah right) and train with.
Old 2006-04-26, 07:30   Link #278
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Well, since she doesn't use it one handed, I take it both her swords are two-handed, or a bastard sword. To wield a two-handed sword in one hand, you have to be some sort of giant, or have a feat that allows that, but imposes a -2 penalty on attack. If you want to wield a bastard sword in one hand, you need an exotic feat. To dual-wield you need all the line of Two-Weapon Fighting feats and insane dexterity. In D&D, the muscle is not required, but it is essential, if you want to negate all those dual-wielding penalties.

... I think I love you. ^_^

Two Weapon fighting
Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Exotic Weapon Specialization (Bastard Sword)

... that should do it. I'm assuming Saber's a high enough level character, and is a figher class, yes?

^_^

-Andiyar
Old 2006-04-26, 07:39   Link #279
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar
that should do it. I'm assuming Saber's a high enough level character, and is a figher class, yes?
Yes, but she isn't the type of warrior to use two swords, and the fact that she wouldn't use Caliburn - because its not her original version.
Old 2006-04-26, 09:02   Link #280
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Anyways...it's really unsuitable for a girl to hold heavy weapons...(I guess I don't have the right to say that myself...)