AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 02
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 36 19.78%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 49 26.92%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 43 23.63%
7 out of 10: Good... 32 17.58%
6 out of 10: Average... 16 8.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 1.10%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 0.55%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-18, 07:16   Link #421
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Spoiler for Official website preview of Episode 3:
Nice But can we post it in this particular thread? Just clarifying. If we can then it's all good.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-07-18 at 09:04.
Swordstriker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 07:23   Link #422
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
Nice But can we post it in this particular thread? Just clarifying. If we can then it's all good.
I don't see the problem with it. If a moderator asks me to take it down, then I don't mind. I don't think they're worried about previews as much as they are about novel spoilers.

By the way, for those who want to be updated on when these come out, you can follow their Twitter feed, which is also on their site. I feel like I'm advertising for them, but whatever, everyone who cares is a fan anyway .
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 09:03   Link #423
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The rule says that "Posting and discussing content found on official sites or blogs" is permitted "provided that [it is] posted under clearly marked spoiler tags". So in this case, you should add spoiler tags. That said, given that this is an Episode 2 thread, it'd probably be better to discuss this in the two speculation threads instead of in here (because it's basically off-topic here).
Old 2012-07-18, 12:11   Link #424
halibonga

i see that ep 2 got a pretty average rating (bit above average), wonder why
halibonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:26   Link #425
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by halibonga View Post
i see that ep 2 got a pretty average rating (bit above average), wonder why
A bit above average? I'm assuming you're basing this on the votes, correct? Because if it's the latter, the votes don't imply that at all; if anything, they imply it was pretty good. *shrug*
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 12:44   Link #426
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The rule says that "Posting and discussing content found on official sites or blogs" is permitted "provided that [it is] posted under clearly marked spoiler tags". So in this case, you should add spoiler tags. That said, given that this is an Episode 2 thread, it'd probably be better to discuss this in the two speculation threads instead of in here (because it's basically off-topic here).
Noted. I just tend not to browse either speculation thread (especially the novel readers speculation), and I tie next-episode previews with the episode before them so much that I figured here was the best place for it . Next time, I'll post it in the proper place.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 13:26   Link #427
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenapan View Post
Combine that with the fact that hes been on floor 1 for a month. Hes had plenty of time to cap out his XP/gold/stats until diminishing returns means he gets practically nothing from killing stuff down here. He's overleveled AND experienced. If anything hes just being super cautious not exploring/attempting the boss by himself.
You are still assuming that a single character can solo the boss, which is not the case: Kirito already couldn't even solo a -boss add-, which was a mere Ruin Kobold Sentinel: he was forced to switch on various occasions and other parties had to do the same.
So having a single character roaming in a dungeon is simply suicide.
Quote:
Furthermore, its not like he was the only one in the beta who managed to get up floors. there were others like Diabel who can recognize the door to the boss room without going into it as we saw in this EP. Where are the beta testers that grouped before? Diabel obviously CHOSE to take the risk of a brand new party for the chance at getting the special item on the last attack since the new players would have no idea about that but I'm sure more of the experienced betas would have stuck together if anything just to stay ahead of the front line a little. Even if they expected changes to stuff like the boss' final attack routine nothing stops them from exploring the dungeon long enough to find the telltale signs of the boss room, then tell others to try it first or go with them.
Diabel had to -look- for the Boss Room with a party as well. You really ignored a lot of what he said, and despite being a beta tester, he needed a raid, which was more like around 30-40 players than "just 20".
Quote:
I just find it hard to believe the only group that made it that far is 20ish new players led by one beta tester though Agil also looks fairly experienced.
That's exactly the reason why it needed 1 month. You argument is quire contradictory: you don't get why it took a month to find the boss room, yet you complain that there were a lot of new players. You basically answered your own question: the vast majority of SAO players never touched the Beta, and all of them have their first "real life threatening" experience ingame. Combining with obvious issues of a MMO dealing with so many players upon release date, there is no room for debate that one month is actually normal.

A point you made before that is not valid either: you expect them to go through the floor 24/7. That's not possible: even if they aren't in their own body, their brains cannot have an active and permanent activity all the time, so there has to be a point where they simply cannot play and has to recover one way or another (lack of game stimuli and whanot). It is irrealistic to expect players to be remain "awake" all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegasonic View Post
wait? is that really the case? that makes this game seem a bit too easy.
No, actually it is the exact opposite: the enemies do not scale with the party or population of the floor. That leads to drastic issues:
1) the number of "good loot" is awfully restrained. This also explain why Diabel took the risk of trying a Last Attack for the Kobold Lord special item: if you have to defeat a Floor Boss for that kind of item, that means the number of players with a decent/great gear is narrowed to the elite.

2) The above points lead to another problem: should elite players die later on, there is -no way- to get the items back, considering how Diabel disappeared. Therefore, there is no way to substitute the loss of manpower -and- equipment

3) That also means that grinding and all is not as rewarding as usual MMORPG with instances/frequent respawn timers. You are stuck with a fixed amount of legendary/elite items, which means you cannot have a large amount of players with decent gear. That leaves to craftmanship which leads to resources issues and potential danger in traveling in hostile areas and/or dungeons for the material alone.

Simply speaking, such point prevents dungeons farming, leading to a sheer umbalance in term of equipment, which is a vital problem in regard to a "hardcore" mode MMORPG.
Old 2012-07-18, 14:29   Link #428
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Not really disagreements, but precisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
You are still assuming that a single character can solo the boss, which is not the case: Kirito already couldn't even solo a -boss add-, which was a mere Ruin Kobold Sentinel: he was forced to switch on various occasions and other parties had to do the same.
He probably could solo a Ruin Kobold Sentinel, if he had to. It's just more prudent, careful, and efficient to cooperate. From his POV, a 99% chance of not dying isn't nearly as nice as a 99.5%, I guess...

Quote:
So having a single character roaming in a dungeon is simply suicide.
Spoiler for Aria in the Starless Night, on dungeon crawling:

Quote:
Diabel had to -look- for the Boss Room with a party as well. You really ignored a lot of what he said, and despite being a beta tester, he needed a raid, which was more like around 30-40 players than "just 20".
Spoiler for Aria in the Starless Night, raid group numbers:
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 15:23   Link #429
Hmm....

In anime, there are only 33 of them at most, from what I counted ^^"
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 23:14   Link #430
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Well he did take out the log out button... XD
for shits and giggles....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
In anime, there are only 33 of them at most, from what I counted ^^"
33 what exactly?
Old 2012-07-18, 23:23   Link #431
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegasonic View Post
33 what exactly?
33 raiders in Episode 2.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:35   Link #432
Awrya
U mad?

The number shouldn't be 33, an odd number.
Assuming Kirito&Asuna got left out because the other groups were full, 31 in groups +2 extra. 31 can't be divided clearly into groups.
From what I remember we don't know the party limit yet, but it shouldn't be 31, a prime number
Old 2012-07-19, 05:02   Link #433
huntermad

Spoiler for Party and Raid Group:
huntermad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 06:32   Link #434
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
The number shouldn't be 33, an odd number.
Assuming Kirito&Asuna got left out because the other groups were full, 31 in groups +2 extra. 31 can't be divided clearly into groups.
From what I remember we don't know the party limit yet, but it shouldn't be 31, a prime number
Yes I do think the number in anime is odd as well
My guess would be that they devide into 5 group of 6 (30) + left over party (KiriAsu) + Lone Leader who attempt to LA Boss (Diabel).
When diabel take command in early boss fight, There are only group A B C D E F which Kirito's being group F. That indicated there are indeed only 6 parties in the whole raid.

picture ? here.
Images
After boss fight
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
This screenshot should account to all raid survivor. 32 in total + 1 KIA, unless, of cause, there were more casualty during boss rampage after Diabel's death.

Other one that come close is
Images
During meeting
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
At the meeting, 29 in total, KiriAsu were offscreen (They shouldn't but they were, oh well ) We can assume that some were behind those pillars.

Other scenes show only 20ish of them at most I believe.

Remember that I'm talking about anime here, and how bravely anime SAO raiders are, not a pussy novel player who dreamt for 2 raid groups
Old 2012-07-19, 09:35   Link #435
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
2) The above points lead to another problem: should elite players die later on, there is -no way- to get the items back, considering how Diabel disappeared. Therefore, there is no way to substitute the loss of manpower -and- equipment.
Makes me wonder if stuff is BoP/BoE, or if you could pass it off in your dying moments if you wanted to.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 12:07   Link #436
R.LocK
My turn

I'm a bit slow but... am I the only one who feels that Asuna and Kirito sheathing their swords in completely different styles are completely like Vergil and Dante from DMC3 respectively?
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 13:48   Link #437
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenapan View Post
Spoiler for length:
I simply don't see how it's hard to believe that it takes people longer than usual to do whatever you think they ought to be doing, experienced or not, in a game where you can die easily, with limited equipment and unstable state of mind. (P.S. Kirito never said anything about soloing his way to the top floor, even if you are to take his bluff seriously. He only said he reached further than anyone into whatever top floor the Beta-testers made to. That could simply be a scenario where he's reach deeper into the dungeons than the rest. Doesn't mean he soloed his way there. His point still stands: He'd seen monsters that others haven't. Nothing more.)

It's not uncommon to take the top guilds several weeks or even months to clear new contents in today's MMO, and that's with repeated attempts of trial and error while death is cheap. And I'm speaking from first hands experience. Now you only have one life. I'd say taking only a month is pretty damn impressive with such a small group of players trying.

If you still don't find it tolerable in the slightest, then can we at least agree that this is simply a personal preference thing? YMMV after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Makes me wonder if stuff is BoP/BoE, or if you could pass it off in your dying moments if you wanted to.
I would hate to think they bind... it's only gonna make resource even scarcer, and trading would be nigh impossible. As if HC mode isn't nasty enough already
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 14:43   Link #438
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
I simply don't see how it's hard to believe that it takes people longer than usual to do whatever you think they ought to be doing, experienced or not, in a game where you can die easily
Well, to be fair, most people (at least ones that have the luxury of talking about anime on the internet) simply have never experienced anything in their life that would really give them any frame of reference on what it's like to live and fight with their life on the line day in and day out.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 22:20   Link #439
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Finally saw ep 2 ... I am enjoying this series quite a bit so far - they're really doing a very good job imo.

Am almost tempted to pick up the novels that have already been tl'd into eng over at bakabt....
Old 2012-07-19, 22:43   Link #440
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
I would hate to think they bind... it's only gonna make resource even scarcer, and trading would be nigh impossible. As if HC mode isn't nasty enough already
Spoiler for Soul Bind system. Information from "Aria in the Starless Night:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-07-20 at 08:48.

Tags
weekly episode discussion