Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-04-07, 09:29   Link #101
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
I say yes.

Because at some point, like Vexx alluded to, you've simply seen the basic stories there are to tell, in anime, in twenty or thirty different ways.
I wasn't really talking about stories, and I don't believe that's the #1 reason why fans drift away from the hobby. But anyway, some franchises can last decades and bring freshness to old fans in newer times, stories constantly change, characters change, relationships between characters change. Yes, there is no such thing as infinite number of ways to tell a story, but the aforementioned elements do change and give stories new faces. For example, Noir, MADLAX and El Cazador may all look the same with rehashed material, as they are from a specific trilogy with a specific mindset behind it, but they still differ from each other and they offer a different experience in a different time.
Basically, what I'm trying to say is that overanalysing anime as forms of intellectual masterpieces may as well bring disappointment and bitterness somewhere along the way, because most of the time they're clean entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. I try to enjoy anime in the heap of the moment, I try to forget what I've seen and what I may expect of the series.
It's good that you keep in mind that anime is just another form of entertainment; you shouldn't suffer through the content, but at the same time you should know that you're bound to meet freshly rehashed material somewhere on the way. I was reminded of that pretty soon actually and I believe that I'm dealing pretty well with it after 4 years of my fanhood. I've watched moe anime back then and I watch it now. Countless stories have already been rehashed infront of my eyes, yet I still find a character I can adore, I still find a story that entertains me... I guess I don't nitpick too often. As soon as you start doing that regularly, you're most likely looking for reasons to quit. Taking a short break wouldn't be such a bad idea at that moment, probably.

Though I do believe that after a few years I'll have problems communicating with other fans in my area about the hobby because of my upcoming age. Let's face it, fans come and go, but those who remain get older and more lonely. Can't hang out with teens when you're ~40 other than your kids, that's for sure. Thank the gods for the internet.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 13:06   Link #102
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Can't hang out with teens when you're ~40 other than your kids, that's for sure. Thank the gods for the internet.
Sure you can, but people around you might get the wrong idea unless you're a teacher or something

Animes are kinda like videogames nowdays. As time goes by, there's more and more older fans and you can see that there's more animes focusing on the older segment of the viewer's demograph (Noitamina).

Believe it or not, i used to play DAoC (MMORPG) with 2 retirees and my server had a few gramps playing the game with their grandchildren. Beside, if you don't pursue your hobby/interest after retirement... you're just wasting time waiting for the reaper to claim you.
Old 2007-04-08, 01:25   Link #103
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Sure you can, but people around you might get the wrong idea unless you're a teacher or something
That was my point.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 12:49   Link #104
AnbuItachi

i can see myself watching anime when im 90
AnbuItachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:08   Link #105
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Nobody's ever too old to watch any anime...as long as you like it and it doesnt disturbe your live in any way thats wrong.

dont have to look at someone else s age...

you can watch anime till you end up six feet under X)
Tatsumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:57   Link #106
Islaya
Secchan

It depends on the series. If your 40 and watching Cowboy Bebop, I don't see anything wrong with that. However, if your 40 and watching Pokemon or something, yeah, your too old for that.
Islaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:23   Link #107
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islaya View Post
It depends on the series. If your 40 and watching Cowboy Bebop, I don't see anything wrong with that. However, if your 40 and watching Pokemon or something, yeah, your too old for that.
What if you're 25 and watch stuff like, Naruto, Bleach, Kiba, etc...?

I have noticed myself slowly watching less and less as of late. But saying that, staying in one night of the week and watching non-stop anime is one of my favourite pleasures.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:59   Link #108
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post

I have noticed myself slowly watching less and less as of late. But saying that, staying in one night of the week and watching non-stop anime is one of my favourite pleasures.

You and me both...One night out of the week is usually dedicated to watching the good stuff for me aswell...I remember when it was damn near everyday...Long time ago, but still that one night of non-stop dopeness seems to be more than enuff for me nowadays...
Old 2007-04-08, 15:17   Link #109
Islaya
Secchan

Quote:
That's ok IMO, but there comes a point where a certain age group shouldn't watch certain anime series. Naruto and Bleach are geared for the older teen/early 20's age group, but a series like Cardcaptor Sakura isn't really geared for that age area.
Islaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 19:56   Link #110
sinshenron

Well I am 41 and am an anime nut.I have been collecting since 1983.I have over 300 gigs and 500 dvds.
sinshenron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 19:59   Link #111
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
i used too like almost every kind of anime, now im 21 and i only feel attracted to dark,twisted anime...
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 20:01   Link #112
Rahan

Quote:

Well, I am 25 and I am still watching Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.
However, I am getting less interested by Naruto and Bleach (One Piece may be the one destined for the younger teens, but it doesn't take itself seriously so it's ok) and I have not started a new shonen for months/years.

I am also worshipping Mushishi and Kino no Tabi (that I have only seen recently) while I would have probably labelled them as boring and uneventful a few years ago. (now the only part of Kino no Tabi I don't like is the tournament !)
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 03:17   Link #113
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Why do I have to post this again PEOPLE !!! Trying to make a point here

Age doesnt freakin matter!!!!

If anyone finds you weird or too old to watch an anime then dont listen
What you watch or like is up to you not other people's comments!!!
Tatsumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 05:15   Link #114
Mr JeburtO

well my dads 51 and he started to watch the cowboy bebop movie on the sci fi channel yesterday, but turned it off when my mum came in
Mr JeburtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 07:19   Link #115
tsukari

I guess there's no age, but i do think it depends on what you're looking.
I can't imagine a 40-year old watching digimon.
I like it now, as a 16 year old. I'll see when i get 40
tsukari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 08:57   Link #116
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Having raised a now teen-aged daughter, one of my favorite genres is what I call "plucky girl" animes whose protagonists are usually preteen girls. Series like Noein, Angelic Layer, and Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu all fall into this category though the subject matter in each is quite different. BTW, my daughter at fifteen doesn't want to watch these types of series any more; she's "too old" for them now!

I also enjoyed watching Pokemon episodes with my daughter when she was in her Poke-phase (anybody want to buy a good card collection?), and I was about fifty. Sure they got old after a while, but I always took an interest in what she watched to see what themes and issues were covered and how they were resolved. Watching an anime together could often give us some common ground for discussions about how to deal with life's conflicts, how to relate to people, and so on.

At this point I'd rather watch a show like Bartender, Hataraki Man, or Saiunkoku Monogatari, of course, because they cover more mature themes. But I can still laugh hysterically at School Rumble even though I graduated from high school forty years ago.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 18:41   Link #117
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover

Send a message via MSN to Kinku
hehe i remember in highschool when i was watching evangelion my dad told why are u watching a childish show.... but he watch the the last few ep with me plus the movies and it change his mind... he was like "wat kind of cartoons is this..,this isnt for kids" hehe i guess alot of people see anime th they just think it just for kids
Kinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 02:02   Link #118
Mattguy

That's the exact same with me also! One night I was catching an episode of the first season of ghost in the shell stand alone complex on t.v and my dad came down and started watching it with me. He turned to me and said " You know watching cartoons at your age isn't healthy. Than he turned and saw motoko get her head blown to pieces. Then I turned to my dad and said " I'm not old ENOUGH for this" then he kind of slinked off to bed...
Mattguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 02:07   Link #119
Bill

Look at the crap people are watching on TV regularly. MadTV, Chapelle's Show, South Park. If I want to sit down with a story that has character development, plot and good production values, is that a crime?

There is no too old for Anime, just too bored. As long as it's compelling, I'll keep watching it.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 04:42   Link #120
Jordus

I hope to be watching anime while I am on my death bed many many many many years from now.