AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Old 2010-04-02, 14:33   Link #441
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I watched (well, skimmed) the TS and this show is really impressively fuckingdumb.jpg. I mean really, I expected it to be dumb, but it really went far beyond anything I could possibly have expected.

Imagine Haruhi (the show looks a LOT like Haruhi, to the point of being a blatant ripoff, except the animation isn't very good), except all the girls haveeveryone has ridiculous weapons, and it takes place in the afterlife and everyone's fighting "angels" (read: a Yuki Nagato clone with a sword in her arm) while being in high school. Also, people do NOT die when they are killed (this gimmick is used at least three times). Also, there's a concert with the main female character as the vocalist for no apparent reason whatsoever. Also, there will inevitably be melodrama. Also, lots of blogging. Also, a Lia OP.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 14:38   Link #442
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I'm more disappointed by the idea that the animation quality might not be very good than the fact that the entire thing is dumb. If it's really not that good, I guess PA Works + Aniplex isn't as much of a godly combination as I thought.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 14:45   Link #443
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I hear that there is a lot negativity on 2ch over it, surprisingly.
Browsing that right now, since I didn't get to catch the show myself. (Wasn't really interested either until I heard about a potential backlash) Someone just said they tried to use the color pallet to disguise the crappy key animation.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 14:47   Link #444
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Eh, the animation is quite okay. Overall, the best thing it has going for it right now is the visual side of the spectrum. The backgrounds are nice, there's some amazing animation on the concert scene and nice throughout the whole episode and uh... that's it, yeah.

Overall, I'm not sold. The comedy bits weren't exactly funny and the climax scene of the episode was somewhat weak, probably because it kept alternating between the concert, which was great (everything but the music, I'm a bit eh about it, the last 20 secs or so are nice but orz), and the other extremely weird scene.

Oh well, let me save my judgment for when I get to rewatch it with subs. So far, it wasn't as impressive as I was expecting it to be, but I guess my expectations were very high.
Old 2010-04-02, 14:58   Link #445
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

So either this is bad because it's overhyped and 2ch loves to complain or it's bad because it's bad.

Not sure which yet, but I'll have to see for myself.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 15:02   Link #446
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
So either this is bad because it's overhyped and 2ch loves to complain or it's bad because it's bad.

Not sure which yet, but I'll have to see for myself.
The direction is... horrible... and it stumbles over its own feet in setting a consistent tone the entire time. It screams TAKE ME SERIOUSLY! And then characters have ten ton weights dropped on their heads. It spits out 5 minutes of exposition about how important things are, and then somebody interrupts by slipping on a proverbial banana peel. Then there's the concert which has no purpose or place in the episode. They just cut back and forth to it while bad pop plays in the middle of what would seem to be a dramatic scene... if not for the pop music and the fact that they keep cutting away to watch girls dance.

If it could settle down and pick whether or not it wants to be a gag comedy or more serious, it would work A LOT better, but the presentation this episode was really painfully undirected and haphazard at best.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 15:35   Link #447
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
The direction is... horrible... and it stumbles over its own feet in setting a consistent tone the entire time. It screams TAKE ME SERIOUSLY! And then characters have ten ton weights dropped on their heads. It spits out 5 minutes of exposition about how important things are, and then somebody interrupts by slipping on a proverbial banana peel. Then there's the concert which has no purpose or place in the episode. They just cut back and forth to it while bad pop plays in the middle of what would seem to be a dramatic scene... if not for the pop music and the fact that they keep cutting away to watch girls dance.

If it could settle down and pick whether or not it wants to be a gag comedy or more serious, it would work A LOT better, but the presentation this episode was really painfully undirected and haphazard at best.
Eh, wasn't the concert part of their "plan" in luring out God / trying to take out Tenshi?

And Kaisos, apparently this is getting trolled and reverse-trolled on both 2ch and 4chan, so I don't think they can be a legitimate source of impressions right now.
Old 2010-04-02, 15:38   Link #448
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Browsing that right now, since I didn't get to catch the show myself. (Wasn't really interested either until I heard about a potential backlash) Someone just said they tried to use the color pallet to disguise the crappy key animation.
Yeah, for what some people on /a/ were translating the complaints were generally about Yuri being too much like Haruhi, pacing, heavy exposition, BGM and random stuff like the concert, basically what the The Fluff and aroduc have already said.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 15:43   Link #449
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Yeah, for what some people on /a/ were translating the complaints were generally about Yuri being too much like Haruhi, pacing, heavy exposition, BGM and random stuff like the concert, basically what the The Fluff and aroduc have already said.
While I must admit that the Haruhi comparison is a legitimate claim, I don't think it's fair to bash this series on the first episode alone. We don't know how she's going to develop and how things will turn out. It's episode 1, I really don't understand what the big deal is. Regardless, I'm still eager to see the first episode subbed so I hope they release it soon.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 15:47   Link #450
Key Board
Carbon

if I were to describe the first episode in one sentence it would be: TRYING TOO HARD

7 out of 10 for content
8.5 out of 10 for production values. This is expected however for the first episode, and I know things willl usually go downhill from there.

will keep watching, but I have no real expectations
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 15:49   Link #451
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
While I must admit that the Haruhi comparison is a legitimate claim, I don't think it's fair to bash this series on the first episode alone. We don't know how she's going to develop and how things will turn out. It's episode 1, I really don't understand what the big deal is. Regardless, I'm still eager to see the first episode subbed so I hope they release it soon.
Honestly, I suspecting the reaction is more to the due show being overhyped as the "Second Coming" and not living up then it being bad.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 15:59   Link #452
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Wow i have a feeling this will became Baka Test of the season for me.
Which means is overhyped and getting lame as more episode passed by...
Old 2010-04-02, 16:02   Link #453
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Honestly, I suspecting the reaction is more to the due show being overhyped as the "Second Coming" and not living up then it being bad.

I don't know who had their expectations that high but I sure didn't. This is the first time Jun Maeda is doing something like this, it's also way out of his comfort zone. This is definitely not his typical genre and only 13 episodes to work with. I had a neutral expectation level from the very beginning so the fault only lies on the audience for building the hype up.

I wouldn't blame the producers or Jun Maeda because they want people to watch it so it's expected that they would promote it like it's the "Second Coming" so that should be a given (as a matter of fact, any creator would build up hype for their show.) Like I said, I didn't expect this to be on Clannad's level but I'm just hoping that Mr. Maeda can give us something different and something we can all enjoy.

What I'm saying isn't necessarily aimed at anyone in particular (although I'm quoting you, it's just a general response,) so I hope some don't get the wrong idea. I just believe that a show being over-hyped is only a direct result of the audience that expects too much from it. All I know is that I'm not going to condemn a show off the first episode, there's a difference between judging and criticizing.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 16:02   Link #454
Roardel

Well, it's entertaining. I love this show.
Live and battle for getting ticket! I laughed several times.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 16:15   Link #455
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

So far, watched first 5 min and already Yuri has the SAYA in her! WOO!

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 16:32   Link #456
Roardel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
So far, watched first 5 min and already Yuri has the SAYA in her! WOO!
Saya! That's a new perspective for me.
I thought the F class led by Haruhi wages war against a Contractor in Hinamizawa.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 16:35   Link #457
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

Classic Key formula in action. So much for the fanfare about the visuals. For those disappointed by the animation, ah ha ha ha {repeat ha indefinitely}! Let's hope Maeda doesn't read too much into the negative comments and attempt to hop off a building again.

Turn this into aud+slide show and it's still enjoyable, though I'd rather have it as a VN due to proper length and pacing concerns. Pity they didn't trust Sawashiro enough to let her sing though.
Old 2010-04-02, 16:59   Link #458
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 17:31   Link #459
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Just watched it. Kind of impossible for it to live up to the hype, but it was mildly entertaining... I guess... everything felt really forced, though. I agree with the others who said that it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be: comedy? Drama? Action series? Floor wax? Dessert Topping? Pick one and go with it.

Usually you do get some comedy in the early episodes, if only to get the viewers to like the characters before tearing their hearts out later on, but this just didn't work.

It felt like one of those package tours where they drag you around a major city in 4 hours and give you whiplash. "Now you should be feeling angst... and now quick! Laugh! Now, run for your life! Hurry, shoot! Aww, you got impaled. Now quick! A witty comeback!"

The animation was all over the place-- good in some places, bad in others-- and if that's the episode 1 effect, I'd worry about the budget for later episodes.

All that said, it could always get better over time. I'll keep my fingers crossed for it to succeed, because it would be sad for this sort of enterprise to fail in these economic times.

Besides, there's plenty of bad anime out there-- we don't need any more of it. Right now, I'd say 6.5/10. Needs improvement.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 17:32   Link #460
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Watched it. It was slightly above average tier, but not amazing and definetly not bad. It will be the trolled show of Spring 2010 that everyone hates on 2ch and 4chan /a/ but everyone watches it anyways because for all it's flaws it's better than most of the other shit that's going to air this season.

HERE COME THE TROLLS.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key