AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-06, 00:43   Link #181
Nvis
Where are the good animes

They also don't wear pants to be able to use those devices....

Charlotte's my fav in this one........so nicely proportioned.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 01:14   Link #182
Sakome

I know its early in the show but does anybody have a list of each girl's RL reference, weapon, and rank? Not sure if there was like a japanese magazine article on the show or anything that might have listed it. If I had time I think I could list the weapons the girls are using but I don't even know the names of most of them yet. Such a huge cast
Sakome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 01:29   Link #183
Nemuru

Just a curious question.

But are the listed torrents on animesuki for strike witches are actually translation by the group or did they plagiarised them from the official subs on animebost. While I have no qualms myself with fansub group subbing this series I pray they at least have the integrity to fansub it themselves.

And also how is animesuki treating the fansub of strike witches? Even though it has a time limit being placed on free streaming on youtube/CR. Would it be better to moving it back into the fansub section if your allowing it to be listed on AS.

Last edited by Nemuru; 2008-07-06 at 01:43.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 02:43   Link #184
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
They also don't wear pants to be able to use those devices....
The Plugsuits the Skygirls wore at least seemed designed. Even the little tail part probably had some practical purpose.

Quote:
Charlotte's my fav in this one........so nicely proportioned.
Yep. She's pretty much the only one you can look at without feeling awkard.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 02:50   Link #185
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
Just a curious question.

But are the listed torrents on animesuki for strike witches are actually translation by the group or did they plagiarised them from the official subs on animebost. While I have no qualms myself with fansub group subbing this series I pray they at least have the integrity to fansub it themselves.
The very first sub, which was released midday yesterday, is primarily subtitled from GONZO's subs, though I don't know if they made any moderations.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 06:16   Link #186
Seiryuu

To those complaining about the weaponry: aside from the fact that I and others have pointed out, that the weapons are magically enhanced to produce more kick, one should realize that this is the start of the story. The girls can carry some heavy stuff but there's still limits, and if they've already determined that Neuroi can generally be taken out with this level of magic combat, then they're not going to waste the big stuff until they're in a situation where they need it. After all, this is a law of anime: the big guns are always reserved for major crises, and any weapon capable of destroying an enemy with one shot is used only as a last resort.
Simple question: shouldn't this be moved to the fansubbed section, or the subs of this "licensed" anime be removed?
I will say one thing about this anime's fashion. It seems in at least one area the this makes more sense than real life: they recognize the fact that their swimsuits reveal every bit as much as their pantsu, and so they don't differentiate between one and the other. No offense, but it seems a little off for people to flaunt their bodies in tiny swimsuits and then get so upset about undergarments that often actually cover more.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 06:54   Link #187
Wesley84

Sky Girls didn't start using more powerful weapons as the series progressed. At least the girls themselves didn't. I think the Neroui will increase numerically, rather than having a "Monster-of-the-week" where they get progressively more powerful every episode.
Old 2008-07-06, 08:20   Link #188
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
btw about animesuki listing the episodes
http://animesuki.com/search.php?query=strike+witches
it would seem the episodes were categorized as the ova and thus were allowed..
someone need to fix that..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 08:24   Link #189
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Bloomer girls with kanokon ears, I'll give it a few more episodes. However, Charlotte is damn hot! She's like a magnet that pulls me back from dropping this anime, so I'll give it a chance for her sake.

On a more serious note, is this confirmed to be 1-cour only?
Old 2008-07-06, 08:44   Link #190
kaosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
The Plugsuits the Skygirls wore at least seemed designed. Even the little tail part probably had some practical purpose.

there wasn't any magic involved in sky girl,remember?
and also,how long are you going to compare this to sky girl,except the mecha-musume V.S alien concept,they're completely different.
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 09:01   Link #191
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosmos View Post
and also,how long are you going to compare this to sky girl,except the mecha-musume V.S alien concept,they're completely different.
That and the fact that both had their teams on a ship in the ocean. Why do all series like this happen on a ship in the ocean. It's not just Strike Witches and Sky Girls, I've seen others, like Raimurio Senkitan (off the top of my head)
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 09:12   Link #192
Jiyuu

thats easy..
is there anywhere else where huge fights can be fought without killing people and blowing up their houses?
if its possible to fight where you wont hurt your people you would do it.. thus fighting over water is ideal..
Old 2008-07-06, 09:20   Link #193
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
thats easy..
is there anywhere else where huge fights can be fought without killing people and blowing up their houses?
if its possible to fight where you wont hurt your people you would do it.. thus fighting over water is ideal..
good point
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 10:00   Link #194
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

my iestion is why is it gonzo limited the vewing time i mean come on atleast make it always veiwable

also the story and plot seem a bit dumb and uninteresting(except for the girls "yeah call me a lolicon"ahahha)
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 10:08   Link #195
Jiyuu

your judging the plot and story(same thing?) by the info you got on the first ep?
i mean they basically just said "well theres aliens killing people and heres the striker unit with which witches can fight them"
thats about the same as judging a series by its synopsis..

about the viewing time thou it should be checked.. nothing about that was mentioned in the past and its kinda odd in a way,
on the other hand when you compare youtube/crunchy to what the Japanese are getting on their tv you have a larger window of opportunity,
i mean think about it they need to start watching exactly when the episode start, you have 10 hours to choose from..

but yeah, from an internet only viewpoint it is pretty strange..
Old 2008-07-06, 11:53   Link #196
4Tran

Quote:
No kidding? Do you have any recommendations for a British Ace? And wouldn't the Indian girl technically be closer than the Canadian?
What Indian girl are you talking about? The only character with a darker complexion is Lucchini, and she's Italian.

I like Roger Tuck, but there's a number of other British pilots who'd do. Here's a list for interest's sake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ar_II_air_aces. By the way, this list is why I'm not surprised that there are tons of Germans in the show.

Quote:
I would have prefered that over the ears and tails.
The tails and ears seem to be a regular feature for Mecha Musume, so it'd be out of character for Shimada to not include them.

Quote:
There's probably some magical buff to the weapons ontop of everything else. Otherwise conventional forces wouldn't be getting their asses handed to them so badly.
For sure. My point though, is that regular firepower doesn't seem to be all that important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakome View Post
I know its early in the show but does anybody have a list of each girl's RL reference, weapon, and rank? Not sure if there was like a japanese magazine article on the show or anything that might have listed it. If I had time I think I could list the weapons the girls are using but I don't even know the names of most of them yet. Such a huge cast
I don't know about any magazine article, but you can check it out on the official website: http://s-witch.cute.or.jp/

To make things a little easier, I stole this chart from somewhere (please don't mind the panties):

This chart doesn't have the ranks or weapons, so here they are (the show itself seems to be using Army ranks):

Yeager - Captain - BAR .30-06 / M1911A1 .45 pistol
Lucchini - 2nd Lieutenant - .30 Browning Machine gun
Clostermann - Lieutenant - [Not sure] / FM24/29 7.5mm Light Machine gun
Bishop - Sergeant - Boys .55 Anti-tank Rifle
Sakamoto - Major - Type 99 13mm Machine gun / Katana
Miyafuji - Sergeant - Type 99 13mm Machine gun / M712 Schnellfeuer 9mm Machine pistol
Wilcke - Lieutenant Colonel - MG42 7.92mm Machine gun
Barkhorn - Captain - MG42 7.92mm Machine gun / MG131 13mm Machine gun / MG151/20 20mm Autocannon
Hartmann - Lieutenant - MG42 7.92mm Machine gun / MP40 9mm Submachine gun
Juutilainen - 2nd Lieutenant - MG42 7.92mm Machine gun
Litvyak (MiG-60) - Lieutenant - Rocket launcher

The big incongruity is that Lynette Bishop is patterned after William Avery Bishop. But he wasn't British, he didn't fight in World War II, and to my knowledge, he never flew a Spitfire. There's also the MiG-60 vs. Yak-1 thing going, but it appears to be done on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosmos View Post
Aside from one show taking place in the future using magi-technology, and the other taking place in the past using magic, there really isn't all that much difference between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
That and the fact that both had their teams on a ship in the ocean. Why do all series like this happen on a ship in the ocean. It's not just Strike Witches and Sky Girls, I've seen others, like Raimurio Senkitan (off the top of my head)
The reason for a carrier is that it gives an excuse for the entire crew to stay together, while also allowing the action to take place in different locations. It's a fairly common setup since at least the Space Battleship Yamato days simply because of all the storytelling opportunities it opens up.

As an aside, the carrier in question is the Akagi. In real-life, it had a crew complement of around 2000 to support its 60-90 aircraft. There's less than a dozen Strike Witches, and they don't need very much runway to either take-off or land on, so what's all the rest of the space going to be used for? Moreover, it got blown up at Midway, so wouldn't it be bad luck to use it as the main ship of the show?
Old 2008-07-06, 12:13   Link #197
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
my iestion is why is it gonzo limited the vewing time i mean come on atleast make it always veiwable

also the story and plot seem a bit dumb and uninteresting(except for the girls "yeah call me a lolicon"ahahha)
If I were to hazard to guess it seems as though Gonzo is trying to encourage DVD sales which should be the main priority of every anime studio. Having an allowable time for free viewing is something I approve of as it allows people with the inability understand Japanese to view the show but creates an incentive for those who enjoy to go out and buy the DVD copy but of course as a viewer you're going to put in more effort and setting up alarms to catch the show airing. In some way it brings anime on the net closer to being a routine TV show, equality as I would called it, as those living in Japanese are watching this late at night, time zone difference aside I’m incline to believe the free period of streaming is considering those living in different time zone although I can sympathises with those who sleeps more than 10 hrs ^^.

To me it's the same as watching something on TV but you're given a greater window of opportunity to view it as Jiyuu said in his previous posted. In a sense it allows to studio to give the fans what they wanted simultaneous streaming with the Japanese station and control of the illegal distribution to some degree. So by rights fansub are not needed since the studio are provided the sub so the incentive for subbing decreases.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 12:22   Link #198
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
What Indian girl are you talking about? The only character with a darker complexion is Lucchini, and she's Italian.
The Italians had an airforce?

Quote:
I like Roger Tuck, but there's a number of other British pilots who'd do. Here's a list for interest's sake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ar_II_air_aces. By the way, this list is why I'm not surprised that there are tons of Germans in the show.
That's very interesting. What'd also be interesting to know is the average kill/mission ratio, especially since the article mentions how German Aces flew until they died, while experienced Allied pilots were regulated to training duties. Realistically, I suspect pilots wouldn't get more than a few per mission due to ammo/fuel limitations.

Quote:
As an aside, the carrier in question is the Akagi. In real-life, it had a crew complement of around 2000 to support its 60-90 aircraft. There's less than a dozen Strike Witches, and they don't need very much runway to either take-off or land on, so what's all the rest of the space going to be used for? Moreover, it got blown up at Midway, so wouldn't it be bad luck to use it as the main ship of the show?
They seem to be launching conventional planes at the end of the episode. Apparently, for this show at least, the military isn't satisified with the idea of leaving the fate of the world in the hands of a few teenagers.
Old 2008-07-06, 12:37   Link #199
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
Quote:
The Italians had an airforce?
Yes we have one too
At the time i think it was called Regia Aeronautica, but now it's called Aeronautica Militare.
Old 2008-07-06, 13:00   Link #200
kaosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

Aside from one show taking place in the future using magi-technology, and the other taking place in the past using magic, there really isn't all that much difference between them.
I might be the only one to think that this is enough to make them completely different then...

bah W/E and thanks for finding this chart,i was looking for something like that.
(the panties aside...)
kaosmos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume