AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2013-06-20, 22:21   Link #2041
AnimeFan188

A New Drug Could End Chronic Pain Forever:

"Treating pain is a tricky business—especially when it comes to the chronic,
perpetually debilitating type. For things like back injuries, osteoarthritis, and bone
cancer, you're really only left with two options: deal with the often dangerous,
unpredictable side-effects of prescription painkillers or suffer through it. But all that
might change soon thanks to a Moroccan "cactuslike plant" and its toxin's potential
to kill localized pain—forever."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/a-new-drug-could-...ever-518774657
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 06:45   Link #2042
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Prairie dogs' language decoded by scientists
Quote:
Flagstaff, Arizona (June 21, Fri): Did that prairie dog just call you fat? Quite possibly. On The Current, biologist Con Slobodchikoff described how he learnt to understand what prairie dogs are saying to one another and discovered how eloquent they can be.

Dr Slobodchikoff, a professor emeritus at North Arizona University, told Erica Johnson, guest host of The Current, that he started studying prairie dog language 30 years ago after scientists reported that other ground squirrels had different alarm calls to warn each other of flying predators such as hawks and eagles, versus predators on the ground, such as coyotes or badgers.

He found that the animals make distinctive calls that can distinguish between a wide variety of animals, including coyotes, domestic dogs and humans. The patterns are so distinct, Dr Slobodchikoff said, that human visitors that he takes to a prairie-dog colony can typically learn them within two hours.

CBC NEWS

LISTEN TO STORY ON NPR
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 07:06   Link #2043
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Scientists find neighbor star with three planets in life-friendly orbits
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95P00U20130626
Old 2013-06-26, 13:09   Link #2044
AnimeFan188

Quantum transistors at room temp:

"The world might still be 20 years from the end of Moore's Law, but the hunt for
technologies to replace semiconductors is going on right now. A group from Michigan
Technological University is offering one such alternative: a quantum tunnelling
transistor that operates at room temperature."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06..._at_room_temp/
Old 2013-06-27, 23:30   Link #2045
AnimeFan188

The 6 Most WTF Scientific Theories About Existence:

"The universe is a really strange place, and as science progresses, it just keeps
looking weirder. So when fringe theories like the below come about, your first
impulse is to laugh them off, but then you think, "Is it really that much stranger than
what we know now?"

So we're not saying that any of these mind-blowing theories about the nature of
everything are accurate, we're just saying that they were proposed by people
smarter than us, and it's fun to think about how ..."

See:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20484...existence.html
Old 2013-06-28, 00:28   Link #2046
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
A New Drug Could End Chronic Pain Forever:

"Treating pain is a tricky business—especially when it comes to the chronic,
perpetually debilitating type. For things like back injuries, osteoarthritis, and bone
cancer, you're really only left with two options: deal with the often dangerous,
unpredictable side-effects of prescription painkillers or suffer through it. But all that
might change soon thanks to a Moroccan "cactuslike plant" and its toxin's potential
to kill localized pain—forever."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/a-new-drug-could-...ever-518774657
This disturbs me.... as a health care provider...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 01:35   Link #2047
Zakoo

Doesn't matter. Not feeling pain doesn't mean your body isn't in an execrable state. May be useful for soldiers who wish to fight to death but for common humans, it's better knowing it hurts after a shock than not feeling anything and having aggravation where it can't be seen : the interior of the body.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 01:54   Link #2048
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's for chronic pain. For "common humans" (soldiers aren't common?) who happen to be damaged in a way where they'll be feeling pain forever and not be able to do much about it. Not people who just got hurt and may need a band aid.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 02:01   Link #2049
Zakoo

Yea I saw it, but if you see it for chronic it's should only be a matter of time before it's sold in pharmacy like paracetamol

Anyway, even if there's a breakthrough in the field, it won't come before at least 13 years.
Old 2013-06-28, 02:21   Link #2050
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's for chronic pain.
Patient who are in terminal stage of illness experiencing chronic pain... to be specific...

I won't likely think of it being given to post op patients or chronic chest pain.....
Old 2013-06-28, 03:26   Link #2051
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Yea I saw it, but if you see it for chronic it's should only be a matter of time before it's sold in pharmacy like paracetamol
Yeah, because we don't have any painkillers that are variously restricted. They're all sold over the counter in any pharmacy.

Quote:
Anyway, even if there's a breakthrough in the field, it won't come before at least 13 years.
And where do you get that number from?
Old 2013-06-28, 04:08   Link #2052
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

NASA telescope to probe long-standing solar mystery
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95Q12320130628
Old 2013-06-28, 04:24   Link #2053
Zakoo

Commons knowledge in pharmaceutical industry, a drug takes at least nine to ten years to be able to go on the market. There has been so much case where a drug was put on sold so quickly it did much bad than goods (thalidomide). So there s a lot of normes in European union. Not only you need to test your molecule ( 3 steps) but you also need to synthetisis all the derived if there are stereocenter and also test them. The amount of money and time is such that when there s a new drug you can literally consider that the synthetisid path is 10 year old.

As to how my number is higher. It s simply that more or less 80% of things put here are either inaccurate, false, or it s the daily things you can hear constantly from the mainstream media done by half assed and unknowledgeable journalists that needed to write something to please their boss.
Seeing how optimistic i m today, i only considered as inaccurate so the number increased. You cant really blame me for this, there s too much things on the level of cold fusion here.
Old 2013-06-28, 04:28   Link #2054
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Scientists find neighbor star with three planets in life-friendly orbits
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95P00U20130626
This could create an interesting story if done right.
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 05:17   Link #2055
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Commons knowledge in pharmaceutical industry, a drug takes at least nine to ten years to be able to go on the market. There has been so much case where a drug was put on sold so quickly it did much bad than goods (thalidomide). So there s a lot of normes in European union. Not only you need to test your molecule ( 3 steps) but you also need to synthetisis all the derived if there are stereocenter and also test them. The amount of money and time is such that when there s a new drug you can literally consider that the synthetisid path is 10 year old.

As to how my number is higher. It s simply that more or less 80% of things put here are either inaccurate, false, or it s the daily things you can hear constantly from the mainstream media done by half assed and unknowledgeable journalists that needed to write something to please their boss.
Seeing how optimistic i m today, i only considered as inaccurate so the number increased. You cant really blame me for this, there s too much things on the level of cold fusion here.
I totally can. "13 years" is sounds artificially accurate in a way "a dozen years" doesn't. Besides, we don't really know how far along in their tests they are.
Old 2013-06-28, 05:44   Link #2056
NoemiChan
Banned

Hope it's cheap..... and not some "for rich people only" medications....
Old 2013-06-28, 06:17   Link #2057
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Britain to allow three-person IVF

Well this is gonna be awkward for the child if they introduce their three parents.
Old 2013-07-01, 02:56   Link #2058
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Whale whale whale, what do we have here.

Voyager 1 Discovers Bizarre and Baffling Region at Edge of Solar System
Quote:
Not content with simply being the man-made object to travel farthest from Earth, NASA’s Voyager 1 spacecraft recently entered a bizarre new region at the solar system’s edge that has physicists baffled. Their theories don’t predict anything like it.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 12:42   Link #2059
Haiprbim
Banned

3DS Mirror Direct Link by Nintendo.

In addition to the already-known incoming Direct Link purchase, a Mirror Direct Link was announced by Nintendo.
No specific info was released, but it should be something with double-purchasing and/or returning.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 18:16   Link #2060
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

New NASA satellite to begin sun-watching mission
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...06-28-04-30-20