AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-21, 20:54   Link #241
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2.

This show has serious potential. At the rate this is going, if this series doesn't end up being the best of the season, I'll eat my hat.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 22:47   Link #242
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, I didn't think that the dialog in ep. 2 was forced. I don't expect people in power to be emotional about what was being decided. Shuga, however, did show a little emotion. The Holy Sage, on the other hand, isn't going to be emotional about anything imo. He's obviously done some dirty dealings before.

I thought that the dialogue was very much essential to explaining the world order.

I think that Gurren Lagann will take the best of season title.
Old 2007-04-21, 23:01   Link #243
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I wouldn't say the dialogue was forced, but the overall direction of the episode and sequence felt quite...safe. I'm not expecting Gurren-level of visual direction whatnot, but the integration of the feel felt very wuxia-ish. It can both be a curse and a blessing here, and I hope it's going to be the latter.

I still think Saiunkoku Monogatari Season 2 will the best of spring so far (( Dennou Coil haven't debuted yet, but I have hopes )), but that's a topic for someplace else.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 09:01   Link #244
Lost

Caught episode 2, and to the contrary; the dialogue was impressive. In no way did I feel it was overly long; rather, I have to applaud the way it does not seem out-of-place or forced despite the fact that it revealed a lot of information - I find that it's easy in such cases to have dialogue that seems it's dialogue for the sake of dialogue ( if you get what I mean - well, it's just there for the sake of being there) - it wasnt the case with this.

However, aside from that, I don't feel that the episode did anything else special; as Nightengale says, it seemed pretty safe as a whole. That's not much against it however, and I'm looking forward to episode 3.

(Haha I see the new spoiler button in use.)
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 09:31   Link #245
DieH@rd

I just saw first few minutes episode 3 [chinese subs]. Damn impressive combat from Barsa!
DieH@rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 11:20   Link #246
shinjit

I've just seen episode 3. The fight is so intense and simply great. However, I still think the fight in the book is better.
Spoiler for the fight (TV, summary):

Spoiler for the fight (book, in detail):

By the way, Barsa in the anime is good though too young, but Tanda looks quite different. It's written he is a babyface and has a round nose. (Tanda in the book)
shinjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 11:40   Link #247
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Ha-ha. Tanda looks like a hobbit. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 12:05   Link #248
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

@Shinjit

I think the character are redesigned to gain mass appeals (not that it's a bad thing though).
Old 2007-04-22, 13:01   Link #249
Aniki Meiski

I suspect that in Episode 3 they altered the storyboard later on. I remember the trailer footage from last year showing Balsa protecting Chagum while fighting against the hunters some what similar to the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxlOpDJx2YA
Aniki Meiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 13:13   Link #250
shinjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki Meiski View Post
I suspect that in Episode 3 they altered the storyboard later on. I remember the trailer footage from last year showing Balsa protecting Chagum while fighting against the hunters some what similar to the book.
I've noticed the fight in the trailer is different from the fight I saw today. In the trailer, Barsa fights against Mon and Jin in the wilderness. Perhaps we're going to see another fight soon.

Last edited by shinjit; 2007-04-23 at 00:37.
Old 2007-04-22, 15:35   Link #251
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Well well, if anyone was disappointed or let down with episode 2, episode 3 makes up to you twice over with the amount of I.G infamous action sequences.

Full fluid fight scenes, no cheap "flash of blade", no special power, no holding back. It's scary how long the fight sequence went on for an anime episode, the power of NHK funding and I.G animators is truly awesome.

Spoiler for epi3:
Old 2007-04-22, 15:38   Link #252
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki Meiski View Post

That isn't a trailer, just a pilot film used to promote the series. We're probably not going to see any of those scenes in actual anime. As for episode 3... downloading right now, my connection is really slow today for my cousin is leeching my bandwidth with his laptop.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 17:35   Link #253
DieH@rd

It's a stupid question, but is there english translation of "Moribito" novels??
DieH@rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 17:39   Link #254
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieH@rd View Post
Not so far... but didn't someone licensed them?
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 18:01   Link #255
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Oh, brother, did I love episode 3... And not, not just because of the fights, which were certainly wonderful, but primarily because of the nuanced characterization of the Hunters.

Think about it... we'd probably not see them again at all, yet Production I.G actually spends time with them, making them more than simple mindless goons, but actually people with history, with character, with underlying drama. Competent men against a competent woman. It was amazing how they dedicated so much effort to characters that won't even appear again in this series.

And that wolf straight out of the Twelve Kingdoms. How cool was that?!? And Chagum's journey, and Barsa's halucinations about Jigoro and her mind splicing past and present together.

A great episode. And episode that made this series for me and, I suspect, will make this anime for many other viewers. Wow. What a treat!
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 18:43   Link #256
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieH@rd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Not so far... but didn't someone licensed them?
Yes, Scholastic Books. I think they will release them in 2008.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 19:35   Link #257
shinjit

The hunters' codenames sound alike for me and I'm often confused.
Spoiler for meaning of the Hunters' names (spoiler?):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I think the character are redesigned to gain mass appeals (not that it's a bad thing though).
Yes, I know. It's okay. The following characters are clearly written as good-looking in the books: Chagum (no wonder, because his mother is beautiful), Saya (Barsa once saved her from rogues), and Shuga (intelligent-looking, not necessarily very handsome. No silver hair ).

Now, we're going to see the fight between Torogai and the hunters next week. It's going to be great too, I believe.

Last edited by shinjit; 2007-04-23 at 19:23.
Old 2007-04-22, 20:05   Link #258
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Is the lack of appropriate bleeding from wounds/ blood that's actually red due to some broadcast standard?
Old 2007-04-22, 20:54   Link #259
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
...A great episode. An episode that made this series for me and, I suspect, will make this anime for many other viewers. Wow. What a treat!
One word: yes. More words: I loved the way we had locations interweaving for a while there, creating just the right amount of tension all round.
Spoiler for ep3:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 21:38   Link #260
Joojoobees

Aargh! I watched the first few minutes of the raw so I could see the fight. Now my heart is racing and I can't sit still.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.