AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-09, 14:16   Link #1
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quick fan sub comparison (Mai-Otome)

Whitch is better Static-Subs or Doremi? Static-Subs seems to be alil better but I donno my brain is fried >< *L*
Old 2006-01-09, 14:45   Link #2
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Aethestics aside, anyone who can't understand japanese would be just speculating without basis since they won't know exactly what has been said. Therefore, for people like me, opinion is just that... an opinion. And we all know arguing with each other in order to prove whose opinion's 'more right' is a fruitless venture.
Old 2006-01-09, 14:49   Link #3
LonelyWolf

Which witch is a witch?

Considering the plusses and minusses of both sub groups I must say that I love the work of both

Haven't I seen this thread somewhere else before?
Old 2006-01-09, 14:55   Link #4
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Yea but sadly the thread was lost in the great forum hack of '05..... we lost alot of good threads back then. They lived like data but died like..... you know I dunno where im going with this

Hm well both are good subs but im biased towards Static because I followed them through Mai Hime, I watch the Doremi first and keep the Static ones when they come out. For translation wise sometimes i prefer the doremi ones and sometimes static so hard to say.
Old 2006-01-09, 14:56   Link #5
xat
*Fansubber

Well, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Perhaps SS is preferable on the initiative, but I've found it very interesting to watch Doremi's progression, because they really started to improve after the first one or two (or three?) episodes.
Old 2006-01-09, 15:31   Link #6
ZippyDSM

ya I noticed Doremi's kicking into gear with change's and improvements ^^ I just lsot what I had and wanted to re watch it all again,wanted to know what the picky pll say about the top 2 ^^
Old 2006-01-09, 15:41   Link #7
Zafo
Then up comes Zafo.

Translations

Yes, Static did translate Mai HiME and did a kickass job of it. But remember, a fansub group is just that, a GROUP of people, one of whom is the translator. You also have the encoders, QA, and distributors.

Static was good at Mai HiME because of thier translator. Whomever they have translating Mai Otome is not doing as good a job as the Doremi translator.

The Static subs themselves continue to be prittier, and easier to read, but as long as I can read them, I'll go with the better translator.

Doremi had a few mistakes in the beginning, but as of episode 5 have been the better group. What you need to look for in a group is how literal thier translations are. Most groups should leave the "-chan" "-sama" suffixes on names, and leave words like "onee-chan" as they are, because calling someone "sister" all the time in English is odd. But Nina calling Sergey "Otousama" all the time is translated to "Father" because that still works in English minds.

The translation job needs to be done for people with a rough understanding of the Japanese language and culture. "-chan", "onee-chan" and the like need to stay untranslated. I know there are a lot of ways to type a lot of sentances in English from thier Japanese counterparts, but you need to be loyal toa translator that knows not only to translate the word's meaning in the most literal way possible, but also maintain the feeling and idea that is trying to be conveyed by the words.

It's a very hard thing to do, and usually one group can be relied upon for consistantly stable performance. But in this translating art form, right now Doremi is doing a better job then Static, and that's a shame since Static did so well with Mai HiME.
Old 2006-01-09, 16:02   Link #8
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafo
groups should leave the "-chan" "-sama" suffixes on names
+1

I really don't like it when the honourifics are removed, I like seeing them in subs. And agreed, seeing 'Sister' or 'Big Sis' and similar phrases is kinda weird. An english person would never say 'Hey older sis' in a conversation. At most it'd be just plain Sis.
Old 2006-01-09, 17:33   Link #9
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

I used to download the Doremi subs, then the Static when they came out. But with a combination of Doremi's improvement and Static's not being as good, now I don't bother with Static. I miss subtitles in the color of the speaker, but sacrifices have to be made for speed. Doremi is both faster and more accurate now.
Old 2006-01-09, 18:42   Link #10
lordneon
The pirate master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xat
Well, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Perhaps SS is preferable on the initiative, but I've found it very interesting to watch Doremi's progression, because they really started to improve after the first one or two (or three?) episodes.
you dont watch you encode and encode faster!
Old 2006-01-09, 19:18   Link #11
Akuma-sama
Purr, good kitty...

The one thing that bothers me with Doremi is the fact that they (still) get a few names wrong (Shwartz comes to mind...). But otherwise, they're doing a pretty damn good job at it
Old 2006-01-09, 20:29   Link #12
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
I make corrections based on written proof. So far I am wrong on the majority of my opinions. But don't make that stop you getting my translations! I find ways to improve!
Old 2006-01-09, 20:37   Link #13
wingsky

I actually think Doremi's subs are getting alot better, at the moment it is better than static's. The only reason why i'm keeping SS subs is that theres inconsistencies between doremi's releases.. torias gualderobe etc
Old 2006-01-09, 20:43   Link #14
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

I prefer Doremi's work to this point, but I appreciate all the hard work both groups are putting into bringing us this series.

*bows*
*looses balance*
*face hits keyboard*
*files lawsuit*
Old 2006-01-09, 21:29   Link #15
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
I prefer Static-Subs, but I get Doremi's fansubs because they are quicker. Really, I'm not so much as fan of people who make constant corrections to their work, but I can deal with them. I never understood the reasoning for spelling it "Shibarutsu" because the official site spells it "シュバルツ" (Shyubarutsu).
Old 2006-01-10, 03:39   Link #16
coefficientX
mayo is yummy~(‘∇’)

I hafta say sometimes SS' translation is more accurate on certain parts while Doremi's translation is more accurate on other parts.

If only the 2 subgroups' best parts are compiled together.

Doremi, haf y'all consider of changing the arial typeset to some other nicer fonts? To suit the more bubbly feeling from mai-otome.
Old 2006-01-10, 03:52   Link #17
babuji
Alston De Ventigo

In my opinion, I have tried both fansubs and found that by vidoe quality Static Subs did a better job and on top of that thier wordings are much easier too be read....however, as for Doremi Fansub, thier translation are top notch. They follow most of the words accurately maybe only for 1 or 2 episodes. Doremi Fansub retain the original words and it is more japanize. But for SS thier traslation are base more of the western way of conversation.

Conclusion: Both fansub are doing very good and by speed Doremi wins. Keep up the good work guys.
Old 2006-01-10, 04:58   Link #18
ZippyDSM

I always go for translation myself but..but.....sicne I tend to collect things......I just wish Doremi would make a version 2 of the eailer subs....oh well its not liek thier not busy liveing or doing other things :P

MMmmm...I dun realy want to download both......Mmmmmmmmmmmmm but then it wont stop me 0-o
Old 2006-01-10, 07:52   Link #19
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by coefficientX
I hafta say sometimes SS' translation is more accurate on certain parts while Doremi's translation is more accurate on other parts.

If only the 2 subgroups' best parts are compiled together.

Doremi, haf y'all consider of changing the arial typeset to some other nicer fonts? To suit the more bubbly feeling from mai-otome.
Bubbly? Like Erstin's rack?

The Arial font is here to stay as far as I know. It's unobtrusive and easy on the eyes. Besides, hair-color-matching is fruity and doesn't suit this anime. The harem needs to be larger for it to work (Large = Negima sized).
Old 2006-01-10, 08:23   Link #20
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
There are plenty of other fonts apart from Arial which are plain but are less grating on the eyes. Sure keep a nice standard timeface and keep it simple, heck even Times New Roman would be better just pick something other than Arial as it really does grate on the eyes.

-gumbaloom
Closed Thread