AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-02-15, 22:24   Link #5201
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Eeni, the issue isn't with age gaps, the issue is with her being underage at the time and the questionable morality and legality of it.
In your example both parties were of age, which is fine. And if they'd waited a couple of years, it would also have been fine. But some old guy creeping over a kid is just wrong :s

As for Judau and Haman, sorry, FalsePrime. But in my book a girl crushing on some guy who doesn't want to hear anything about it doesn't count compared to a real relationship; as nothing actually happens.
But that's just my opinion...
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 23:14   Link #5202
FalsePrime

Actually nevermind. Your complete dismissal of a woman doing the samething but to a little boy and then excusing it because she didn't get with him (not by her own choosing, but his) and then to go so far as to dismiss it as a crush tells me I can't take you seriously with this stuff.

Last edited by FalsePrime; 2013-02-15 at 23:40.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 00:15   Link #5203
Eeni

Thank you Ikuze, that was indeed much more different then what I remembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Eeni, the issue isn't with age gaps, the issue is with her being underage at the time and the questionable morality and legality of it.
In your example both parties were of age, which is fine. And if they'd waited a couple of years, it would also have been fine. But some old guy creeping over a kid is just wrong :s
Older guys creeping over younger girls is always just wrong. But a cute, wealthy guy crushing on a girl is less wrong. I kid. I don't know what to think of those situations.

Someone said it earlier in the thread, I think it was Ikuze (too lazy to look it up), that scudeliapooping with an underaged partner happens often in gundam, like Traize fathering Mariemaia somewhere around the tender age of 16/17. And who knows how old Leia was, I personally think she looked older then Traize... so I guess that makes her a felon.

We see some of this in CardCaptors Sakura. Nadeshiko was 23 when Sakura was born, and I believe Toya was a good 6-8 year older then her, making Nadeshiko 15- 17 years old when he was born. On top of that, her husband Fujitaka was 11 years older then her!

So ya, Eric could have been a gentleman and kept his hands off his trophy wife for a while, but I've yet to meet a man who's kept his hands off his wife so early on in a marriage. Hormones happen, and at the bare minimum, we should be glad that he didn't force himself on her (at least not that that has been mentioned).

Felons all around!

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-17, 21:07   Link #5204
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

@FalsePrime: sure, whatever. For the record, I'm not saying it is not a similar sentiment, but I'm looking at this in terms of whether something tangible has happened- or if it's a felony or not. There are no "thought crimes" and therefore I do not count people's unrequited desires on the same level as those who are living it out. Wouldn't have minded hearing your argument, but seriously cba with attitude so this conversation is over.

@Eeni: I.... hm, I'm not sure if Leia was actually older.....but waitaminute, didn't he basically get molested by his mom too or something? Poor guy. We never knew how screwed up he probably really was...
No, truth be told you're right- GW always did family, relationships and procreation really, really wrong if you think about it. It's not as if this started in FT, you have the married teenager Wufei, the teen dad Treize, Quatre of the 40 sisters (wtf, I still can't figure that one out) , Zechs and his loving stalker, and a girl who yells from cliffs.
It's not as if pedobear and his bride are any weirder than the rest of these people... in fact....

.....this series is just a conglomerate of felons

Speaking of Sakura, that series has one of the most weirdcreepy moments of my childhood. There's that teacher who gives his primary school student a ring, remember that? :s I tried explaining that one away for my peace of mind many times, but with no success.
Yeah, CCS had a lot of weird relationships also...
Old 2013-02-17, 23:52   Link #5205
Javiersansano

Quote:
@FalsePrime: sure, whatever. For the record, I'm not saying it is not a similar sentiment, but I'm looking at this in terms of whether something tangible has happened- or if it's a felony or not. There are no "thought crimes" and therefore I do not count people's unrequited desires on the same level as those who are living it out. Wouldn't have minded hearing your argument, but seriously cba with attitude so this conversation is over.

@Eeni: I.... hm, I'm not sure if Leia was actually older.....but waitaminute, didn't he basically get molested by his mom too or something? Poor guy. We never knew how screwed up he probably really was...
No, truth be told you're right- GW always did family, relationships and procreation really, really wrong if you think about it. It's not as if this started in FT, you have the married teenager Wufei, the teen dad Treize, Quatre of the 40 sisters (wtf, I still can't figure that one out) , Zechs and his loving stalker, and a girl who yells from cliffs.
It's not as if pedobear and his bride are any weirder than the rest of these people... in fact....

.....this series is just a conglomerate of felons

Speaking of Sakura, that series has one of the most weirdcreepy moments of my childhood. There's that teacher who gives his primary school student a ring, remember that? :s I tried explaining that one away for my peace of mind many times, but with no success.
Thaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnkssss... finally someone remebers to bring up teh CCS example... well, let's not turn this thread into a CCS now, so i'll refrain from giving more examples from that serie

Anyway, the Wu-fei and treize examples... how old were they and their respective spouses

the sisters are test tube babies, like most people born in the colonies, as according to the plot, the conditions make a delivery a 100% sure kill for the mother...

and, who is zechs stalker? Noin? I have to dissagree with that one
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 15:51   Link #5206
Eeni

Quote:
Yes I do! I think he was roughly 10+ years older and that was a promise ring he gave her, saying that he'll wait for her to come of age. Ya, there's no explaining that one away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
Thaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnkssss... finally someone remebers to bring up teh CCS example... well, let's not turn this thread into a CCS now, so i'll refrain from giving more examples from that series

Anyway, the Wu-fei and treize examples... how old were they and their respective spouses

the sisters are test tube babies, like most people born in the colonies, as according to the plot, the conditions make a delivery a 100% sure kill for the mother...

Ya, CCS had a whole cast of interesting relationships...

Anyways, WuFei and MeiLan were the same age (14) when they were wed. But seeing as how they disliked one another I doubt that they would have even slept under the same roof. MeiLan came off as a girl who would rather punch him in the face then let him anywhere near her and WuFei looked like he just didn't give a damn.

Leia's age isn't given, as far as I've ever seen.

And Zech's stalker is Noin's older brother Disfxxsjk;gnjbjkbsk. Creepy kid...

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Old 2013-02-18, 21:51   Link #5207
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
LMAO, no. This one was more of a joke about Dixneuf and his creepy ways (but it works with Noin too, actually. I jest.).

Credit for bringing up CCS goes to Eeni though <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeni View Post
Yes I do! I think he was roughly 10+ years older and that was a promise ring he gave her, saying that he'll wait for her to come of age. Ya, there's no explaining that one away.
I thought he was even older than that. Sakura& Co were 10...
................and the wiki lists him as mid thirties actually.
So, basically a 30-something year old preying on a 10 year old. Nice. That's not illegal and deeply disturbing at all.
That Eric is healthy and normal by comparison xD

Quote:
Anyways, WuFei and MeiLan were the same age (14) when they were wed. But seeing as how they disliked one another I doubt that they would have even slept under the same roof. MeiLan came off as a girl who would rather punch him in the face then let him anywhere near her and WuFei looked like he just didn't give a damn.
Lol, yep. Those two could've done whatver they wanted though, being the same age. Just that they were married is weird. I guess age in general is done weird in GW though. Everyone looks much older than they are, too.
Treize looks as if he's in his thirties for example..

Quote:
And Zech's stalker is Noin's older brother Disfxxsjk;gnjbjkbsk. Creepy kid...
Eeni understands me and my silliness ;-; Dat creepy mr i'll take your face and your waifu cos i'm a creepy siscon who stalks you, yah
Old 2013-02-19, 09:07   Link #5208
susyia

Wufei and meilen consummated their marriage....... in a official interview with the creators of the series they confirmed this information
susyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 09:11   Link #5209
susyia

"According to one of the interviews with the producers of Gundam Wing in which a fan asked if all of the pilots had ABC experience (sexual experience in varying degrees), the producer answered, "Heero no, Duo yes, Trowa yes, Quatre no, Wufei ... conjugal relationship with his wife." Upon hearing this response, countless fans were more unhappy than glad to have such information. However, it should be noted that ABC does not necessarily mean "all the way", it can also mean varying degree of 'bases' one has gone to. In other words, it can very well be that Duo and Trowa has only gone to A (kissing phase)..."

http://users.animanga.com/gundamwing...analysis1.html

I don't like this site very much because what they said about trowa being raped but this part
can tell us something.....
Old 2013-02-19, 10:51   Link #5210
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
No, truth be told you're right- GW always did family, relationships and procreation really, really wrong if you think about it. It's not as if this started in FT, you have the married teenager Wufei, the teen dad Treize, Quatre of the 40 sisters (wtf, I still can't figure that one out), Zechs and his loving stalker, and a girl who yells from cliffs.
29 sisters. Let's not go overboard. xD

And sorry to butt in, but you kinda lost me on family. How does any of this look "really, really wrong?" D:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Okay, you were probably just joking but now that you mention it, it got me thinking. Although there are many parents (or rather fathers) in different Gundam series who are complete jerks to their kids, GW is oddly devoid of those. In fact, GW does family really, really right. The Darlians, the Peacecrafts, the Winners, Father Maxwell and Sister Helen and every sibling out there are/were very loving towards their family members. Heck, even Wu Fei is a total nut for his wife. The only jerk I can think of is Dekim with Mariemaia.

Contrast that with FT, which gives us Angelina making out with her favorite son and treating him like some sort of messiah while the other, who adores her, gets treated like dirt. Or her hubby Hundert, who doesn't give a single crap about his lunatic wife and leaves her in a mental hospital to pretty much rot. Or the relationship between Duo, who might or might not be Jr.'s father, Hilde, who might or might not be Jr.'s mother, and Duo Jr., who thinks he's an orphan although he's a freaking carbon copy of Duo. The best parent of the bunch is probably Zechs, who leaves one of his kids in the care of a drunkard, who passed out right before him and later drops Naina at an orphanage, to be picked up by her father years later. That reminds me, where was Mille during that time?

In any case, BEST PARENTS EVER.

I can't argue with the romantic relationships though. GW is indeed weird in that aspect. Relena's and Heero's first interactions just make me laugh, facepalm and bang my head against a wall. But... compared to FT, yelling from a cliff seems pretty sane. At least Relena didn't go and ask Marquis Weridge to marry her when she became the ruler of Cinq. Neither did she propose to Dorothy when things got really bad.

Quote:
In Quatre's case, that never made sense to me. a) The Winners are loaded, how come they are the last to get the birth issue solved? b) According to EZ, it's because the family lived in space for too long. But that would mean Quatrine is a Winner by birth. That doesn't make sense, since the heirs are all male. So if Zayeed is the one with the messed up genes, how come it affected Quatrine? What, were they from the same family? In that case, it may have more to do with incest and less with living in space. :S

Quote:
LMAO, no. This one was more of a joke about Dixneuf and his creepy ways (but it works with Noin too, actually. I jest.).
Dunno. Noin's habit of counting the days since she last saw Zechs isn't exactly a turn on either.

But true, compared to Dixneuf that's nothing. Only the likes of Shinji Ikari can compare to him... Oh, and Angelina.

Quote:
I thought he was even older than that. Sakura& Co were 10...
................and the wiki lists him as mid thirties actually.
So, basically a 30-something year old preying on a 10 year old. Nice. That's not illegal and deeply disturbing at all.
That Eric is healthy and normal by comparison xD
You know, it's pretty telling for a series if it's in the list of examples of pretty much every messed up trope there is. CCS along with Neon Genesis are everywhere.
Your creepy teacher? Listed under "The Jail Bait Wait."

Quote:
Lol, yep. Those two could've done whatever they wanted though, being the same age. Just that they were married is weird. I guess age in general is done weird in GW though. Everyone looks much older than they are, too.
Treize looks as if he's in his thirties for example..
The biggest shock for me was Sally being 19. I bet Irea and the rest of Quatre's sisters are nineteen, too, even though she's a doctor already.

As for Wu Fei's age when he was married off, I guess you can either take it seriously or not. The pilots being fifteen (and everyone else being too young) in the series was only done for the target audience (fun fact: the series itself never gives ages). Since EZ happens before the series and they wanted Wu Fei to be married, they had to make him fourteen. For the peace of everyone's minds they left it ambiguous whether the marriage was consummated or not.

Now, if you're taking it seriously, I guess it does make some sense to marry that young. The whole Long Clan appears to consist of pure-blooded Chinese, as they're the only ones in space who actually look like what they are. Meaning the number of possible matches was limited if you wanted to secure that aspect and avoid incest and ensure strong progeny and uphold traditions and blah. You get the point.
Marrying young would give you the chance and time to grow used to one another and learn to like your spouse enough to have kids with them without wanting to punch their face, as Eeni put it. Considering Mei Lan, being the clan's heir, likely had no real choice in that matter, I actually find it quite nice of them to at least give her quite some years before she's supposed to start popping out babies. Considering how her grandmother is ancient, I don't see her being pressured into becoming a young mother. Heck, Wu Fei and Mei Lan weren't even pressured into getting along if the lack of chiding at their hating each other's guts is any hint. xD Never mind that the approach worked, albeit ending up being more tragic than anything else...

Anyway, I doubt Sumizawa gave the whole deal this much thought when he wrote it, but the fact that he was gracious enough to leave room for a sane explanation is highly appreciated, given how uncomfortable it might make some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susyia View Post
"According to one of the interviews with the producers of Gundam Wing in which... -blah blah blah-"
I've stumbled upon this, too, and while I don't have anything against the author of that site, you ought to state your exact sources when you spout stuff like that. I tried looking up this ominous interview but every other site I found quoting this information referred to this fan site as their source. So for all I know it's something pulled out of that author's butt, since I can't find the "official" interview s/he mentions.

Nothing against you susyia, but I don't see this information as valid enough to decide what level of intimacy each pilot has experienced.

Besides, it's wrong anyway. In EW Heero totally got to second base when he dove headfirst into Relena's chest.

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2013-02-19 at 11:33.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 11:31   Link #5211
susyia

like i said i don't like this site... its wierd ......the information could not be 100% true but some parts he would not get this information from nothing......
the oficial interview is not in this site but in another site i don't remember ... i read years ago when gundam wing was fresh and new i think 2001 .. 2002 so it was easy to find good sites with original content
Today we can't find any ........ so in that time i remember in a oficial interview the author said wufei consummated his marriage is true
if you believe or not is up to you to decide but...is true
Old 2013-02-19, 14:01   Link #5212
Javiersansano

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
29 sisters. Let's not go overboard. xD

And sorry to butt in, but you kinda lost me on family. How does any of this look "really, really wrong?" D:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Okay, you were probably just joking but now that you mention it, it got me thinking. Although there are many parents (or rather fathers) in different Gundam series who are complete jerks to their kids, GW is oddly devoid of those. In fact, GW does family really, really right. The Darlians, the Peacecrafts, the Winners, Father Maxwell and Sister Helen and every sibling out there are/were very loving towards their family members. Heck, even Wu Fei is a total nut for his wife. The only jerk I can think of is Dekim with Mariemaia.

Contrast that with FT, which gives us Angelina making out with her favorite son and treating him like some sort of messiah while the other, who adores her, gets treated like dirt. Or her hubby Hundert, who doesn't give a single crap about his lunatic wife and leaves her in a mental hospital to pretty much rot. Or the relationship between Duo, who might or might not be Jr.'s father, Hilde, who might or might not be Jr.'s mother, and Duo Jr., who thinks he's an orphan although he's a freaking carbon copy of Duo. The best parent of the bunch is probably Zechs, who leaves one of his kids in the care of a drunkard, who passed out right before him and later drops Naina at an orphanage, to be picked up by her father years later. That reminds me, where was Mille during that time?

In any case, BEST PARENTS EVER.

I can't argue with the romantic relationships though. GW is indeed weird in that aspect. Relena's and Heero's first interactions just make me laugh, facepalm and bang my head against a wall. But... compared to FT, yelling from a cliff seems pretty sane. At least Relena didn't go and ask Marquis Weridge to marry her when she became the ruler of Cinq. Neither did she propose to Dorothy when things got really bad.

In Quatre's case, that never made sense to me. a) The Winners are loaded, how come they are the last to get the birth issue solved? b) According to EZ, it's because the family lived in space for too long. But that would mean Quatrine is a Winner by birth. That doesn't make sense, since the heirs are all male. So if Zayeed is the one with the messed up genes, how come it affected Quatrine? What, were they from the same family? In that case, it may have more to do with incest and less with living in space. :S

Dunno. Noin's habit of counting the days since she last saw Zechs isn't exactly a turn on either.

But true, compared to Dixneuf that's nothing. Only the likes of Shinji Ikari can compare to him... Oh, and Angelina.

You know, it's pretty telling for a series if it's in the list of examples of pretty much every messed up trope there is. CCS along with Neon Genesis are everywhere.
Your creepy teacher? Listed under "The Jail Bait Wait."

The biggest shock for me was Sally being 19. I bet Irea and the rest of Quatre's sisters are nineteen, too, even though she's a doctor already.

As for Wu Fei's age when he was married off, I guess you can either take it seriously or not. The pilots being fifteen (and everyone else being too young) in the series was only done for the target audience (fun fact: the series itself never gives ages). Since EZ happens before the series and they wanted Wu Fei to be married, they had to make him fourteen. For the peace of everyone's minds they left it ambiguous whether the marriage was consummated or not.

Now, if you're taking it seriously, I guess it does make some sense to marry that young. The whole Long Clan appears to consist of pure-blooded Chinese, as they're the only ones in space who actually look like what they are. Meaning the number of possible matches was limited if you wanted to secure that aspect and avoid incest and ensure strong progeny and uphold traditions and blah. You get the point.
Marrying young would give you the chance and time to grow used to one another and learn to like your spouse enough to have kids with them without wanting to punch their face, as Eeni put it. Considering Mei Lan, being the clan's heir, likely had no real choice in that matter, I actually find it quite nice of them to at least give her quite some years before she's supposed to start popping out babies. Considering how her grandmother is ancient, I don't see her being pressured into becoming a young mother. Heck, Wu Fei and Mei Lan weren't even pressured into getting along if the lack of chiding at their hating each other's guts is any hint. xD Never mind that the approach worked, albeit ending up being more tragic than anything else...

Anyway, I doubt Sumizawa gave the whole deal this much thought when he wrote it, but the fact that he was gracious enough to leave room for a sane explanation is highly appreciated, given how uncomfortable it might make some.

I've stumbled upon this, too, and while I don't have anything against the author of that site, you ought to state your exact sources when you spout stuff like that. I tried looking up this ominous interview but every other site I found quoting this information referred to this fan site as their source. So for all I know it's something pulled out of that author's butt, since I can't find the "official" interview s/he mentions.

Nothing against you susyia, but I don't see this information as valid enough to decide what level of intimacy each pilot has experienced.

Besides, it's wrong anyway. In EW Heero totally got to second base when he dove headfirst into Relena's chest.
and I bet he got close to home during the whole year Relena took care of him accordin to the flashback of FT... now, how much closer he got to home... I won't especulate
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 14:10   Link #5213
Gundamx

isn't the legal marriage age in japan = 16 for girls?
(But no matter how you look at it >>> he is lolicon...)
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 22:27   Link #5214
Eeni

I believe that Iria was stated as being 30 during the series... the wiki page claims 29.

I don't believe that Quathrina was in any way related to the Winner family before getting married. I was always under the assumption that she was simply another (wealthy) colonist who caught Zayeed's eye.

Anyways, I've never been able to understand how the Winner family could have lived in space for "too long". The oldest colony is only 93 years old, that gives us about 2-3 generations of Winners living in space. With that timeframe, I will assume that Quatre and his sisters are the, at the latest, the 3rd generation. Weird.

This whole consummation of marriage talk is actually making me feel uncomfortable... I will continue to pretend that they hated each other enough to not live under the same roof.

Old 2013-02-20, 13:37   Link #5215
susyia

they were married how they would live in separate houses??????????? ..... they were a clan with traditions....and married 15 years was a part of it .....how many countries we know it culturally acceptable? why to portray this in an anime shocks people so much?will change something to look at Wufei now and know that he is not a virgin anymore?
Old 2013-02-20, 15:54   Link #5216
Eeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by susyia View Post
they were married how they would live in separate houses??????????? ..... they were a clan with traditions....and married 15 years was a part of it .....how many countries we know it culturally acceptable? why to portray this in an anime shocks people so much?will change something to look at Wufei now and know that he is not a virgin anymore?
His virginity or not doesn't change the character at all. Him getting married at a young age doesn't change him either, it builds on his character. The only reason I said that what I did was because in the Ep.0 story, both of them didn't want to be married. MeiLan felt insulted to have to marry someone of lesser breed/ lower standing and WuFei simply stated that he didn't want to be married either. He actually walked out in what appeared to be the very beginning of the ceremony (probably the first time they'd ever actually even seen each other!), disrobing, and telling her (and anyone listening) to "go to hell!". At that point, I wonder if the marriage ceremony even took place seeing as how the groom literally left the bride at the altar... shrine... whatever they use.

He obviously doesn't care about becoming an heir. He was so young and forced into something he didn't want. Like in most arranged marries that I've read about, the hope was that over time they'd grow to accept one another and at least produce an heir. The bottom line is, he was a means to an end and being the scholarly boy he was, I'm sure he certainly knew that.

Knowing all this, I can easily picture him as just going back to his home every night and curling up with a book in his own bed as a big "F*ck you all".

Old 2013-02-20, 16:41   Link #5217
susyia

yeah i can too but... in the end whe can see that he well.... is not love but has some feelings for her i think if meilen wasn't dead they would became a real couple
the flower field scene was cute!
Old 2013-02-20, 19:23   Link #5218
Eeni

I agree, had MeiLan lived, they would have grown to like each other, and heck, maybe even love each other and been a cute couple.

Old 2013-02-22, 17:43   Link #5219
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
I believe that Iria was stated as being 30 during the series... the wiki page claims 29.
Oh, okay. Thanks for the info. The fail!novelization of the series claimed Quatre's sisters to be close to his age, hence my assumption. Then again, the stupid thing also said that they all had different mothers, so yeah. It's obvious it was written before EZ was out, which I guess makes most of its claims invalid.

Quote:
Anyways, I've never been able to understand how the Winner family could have lived in space for "too long". The oldest colony is only 93 years old, that gives us about 2-3 generations of Winners living in space. With that timeframe, I will assume that Quatre and his sisters are the, at the latest, the 3rd generation. Weird.
Maybe they were in space during the first colonies' constructions, too? I don't know.
I still don't get whether living in space resulted in some sort of gene mutation or if it was simply the environment that caused the trouble during birth. Either case doesn't justify how the wealthiest folks are the last to be "cured." The whole business just sounds fishy. :/
It would've made more sense to me if they simply said Quatrine had some sort of ailment and that she wanted to deliver at least her last child personally before her illness claimed her (which would have had to be somewhat soon, otherwise her death would've been stupid like in EZ).

Quote:
MeiLan felt insulted to have to marry someone of lesser breed/ lower standing and WuFei simply stated that he didn't want to be married either. He actually walked out in what appeared to be the very beginning of the ceremony (probably the first time they'd ever actually even seen each other!), disrobing, and telling her (and anyone listening) to "go to hell!". At that point, I wonder if the marriage ceremony even took place seeing as how the groom literally left the bride at the altar... shrine... whatever they use. [...]
Considering how they refer to each other as husband and wife, I'd actually say him taking off happened at the end of the ceremony. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise.
I'm also surprised that he'd dishonor himself like that. Aren't Chinese obsessed with "losing face"? Pretty sure telling your wife, who is of higher standing than you, and your clan's master off like that isn't well received in Chinese culture. Or any culture for that matter.

Anyway. While I don't argue with Mei Lan being displeased with her hubby, I don't think her problem with him was that he was of lesser breed or lower standing. In fact, the EZ postface states him being part of the elite. More than anything, she was annoyed that he was a scholar who was sticking his nose in books all day instead of training like everyone else. Taking into account how she prided herself in being the strongest in a clan of warriors, I can see how it would ruffle her feathers greatly to have a husband like that.
Until she challenged him and he kicked her butt, that is.

As for Wu Fei, I agree that he didn't appear too thrilled at the idea of being married, which makes it odd that he went through with the whole deal. As you said, he likely knew what was expected of him and seeing how he didn't exploit any benefits that union brought and even dishonored it, one is left wondering why he agreed in the first place. I mean, I didn't see Master Long holding a shotgun or some such. xD

Personally, I've explained it away with a strong sense of duty, either towards his parents, who may have arranged it, or his clan, simply because I can't think of anything else that would fit.

Quote:
I agree, had MeiLan lived, they would have grown to like each other, and heck, maybe even love each other and been a cute couple.
...you sure that wasn't the case already? I mean, you don't take a killing blow for someone you don't like. Likewise, you don't follow someone into battle in a MS with absolutely no weapons if you don't care about them. Or discard your entire way of life to adopt one you think would please your better half.

It wasn't full-blown love but they were definitely in the beginning stages of it.

And yes, I ship 'em. Sue me.

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2013-02-22 at 17:55.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 09:33   Link #5220
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
...you sure that wasn't the case already? I mean, you don't take a killing blow for someone you don't like. Likewise, you don't follow someone into battle in a MS with absolutely no weapons if you don't care about them. Or discard your entire way of life to adopt one you think would please your better half.

It wasn't full-blown love but they were definitely in the beginning stages of it.

And yes, I ship 'em. Sue me.
Agreed 100%.

Any word on when the next GoL chapter is coming out?

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing