AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 39 24.68%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 28.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 51 32.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 10.13%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 3.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.63%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-09, 19:38   Link #101
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
A few possibilities. She may have realized that she didn't know which room it was. More likely she knew what they were going to find at some level. At least that's what I'm thinking.
Maybe her detective senses tell her that something is wrong and she hesitates.

Or her god-like senses tells her that someone has died and she hesitates.

But I think it was a faked death, theres too little blood at the wound, and no blood spilled. It's just not possible when youre stabbed at this part of the body.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-05-09, 20:06   Link #102
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningTARGET
Being forced on a relationship seems ugly but its not all so bad, after all Japan has a great deal of aranged marriages, though awkward at first they get used to it as they get to know each other. I'm sure Kyon will get used to it down the road.
lol way to go generalizing based on animes and dramas..japan does NOT have a great deal of arranged marriages, very little to almost none infact.. even among the extremely wealthy and powerful
Old 2006-05-09, 20:10   Link #103
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
I'm willing to bet that it's really Kyon that started the entire mess 3 years ago and not Haruhi.
Remember the foreshadowing set down in the film in the first episode, which contained more truths than we first thought (Correctly pointing out all the people's true identitities)?

Perhaps, when the moment of truth came, Kyon (in the movie, represented by... forgot his name, Esper-smiley boy) ended up picking Mikuru instead of Haruhi. And the world as they knew it three-years ago came to an abrupt end.
Old 2006-05-09, 20:21   Link #104
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
lol way to go generalizing based on animes and dramas..japan does NOT have a great deal of arranged marriages, very little to almost none infact.. even among the extremely wealthy and powerful
Yes and no. "Arranged marriages" or 'Miai's still make up 1/5-1/4 of all marriages in Japan (quote: modern japanese history course). Except now "miai" usually refer to an 'arranged introduction' (with or without parents in tow) and not an 'arranged marriage' that is set in stone as we usually take the term to mean. An example of a current "miai" would be like the 'arranged meeting' Hermes-tan's mom tries to get her to go to in Densha Otoko.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-05-09, 20:26   Link #105
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS-Brigade
It would be episode 8 according to Haruhi (the one we jsut watched, this episode, is 9 according to Haruhi)
so we skip backwards eh? at leased its not that much of a leap.

P.S: this was posted with my PSP, took forever All hail link2 the super linux browser!!!
Old 2006-05-09, 20:36   Link #106
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Remember the foreshadowing set down in the film in the first episode, which contained more truths than we first thought (Correctly pointing out all the people's true identitities)?

Perhaps, when the moment of truth came, Kyon (in the movie, represented by... forgot his name, Esper-smiley boy) ended up picking Mikuru instead of Haruhi. And the world as they knew it three-years ago came to an abrupt end.
No Kyon is not represented by Itsuki,
Spoiler:

Old 2006-05-09, 20:44   Link #107
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.

But I think it was a faked death, theres too little blood at the wound, and no blood spilled. It's just not possible when youre stabbed at this part of the body.
I was thinking more the first one than the second. The first one only implies she took a look at the situation, and realized how similiar it is to a murder mystery though perhaps not quite on the concious level. It doesn't mean the person is necessarily dead. The second means it's an actual murder, or it wouldn't have triggered that reaction. Being an actual murder seems a bit out of place in this series. Not to say it isn't impossible though.
Old 2006-05-09, 20:57   Link #108
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Quote:

The thing that makes it seem like she didn't know which room was that she looked through the three doors repeatedly. Although I most certainly do think that it was also her sensing something weird going on, it somehow looked like she was lost.
Maybe she gets meitantei powers in that moment?

Master had placed a small book into his pocket, thougn I'm not sure if it was the same side as where he was stabbed. That could be the reason why there wasn't too much blood. Although this isn't really a concrete fact since he could've removed it sometime in the middle of him leaving and discovering his body.

I loved Kyon's "Which one's the beach ball??"
Old 2006-05-09, 21:10   Link #109
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
I loved Kyon's "Which one's the beach ball??"
I loved his expression lol

An actual murder is indeed out of place in this show, but

Spoiler:

Old 2006-05-09, 21:19   Link #110
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Yes and no. "Arranged marriages" or 'Miai's still make up 1/5-1/4 of all marriages in Japan (quote: modern japanese history course). Except now "miai" usually refer to an 'arranged introduction' (with or without parents in tow) and not an 'arranged marriage' that is set in stone as we usually take the term to mean. An example of a current "miai" would be like the 'arranged meeting' Hermes-tan's mom tries to get her to go to in Densha Otoko.
There's also the "matchmaker" arranged marriages (ala Harmony, etc) often used by professional people when "mom's connections just aren't enough". You see examples of this in Azumanga Daioh (the PE teacher), Futari Echhi, etc. Its very popular with the professional people looking for mates.
Old 2006-05-09, 21:39   Link #111
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
nice out on a technicality but an "arranged marriage" means to me, one that is family arranged and can not be turned down..one that is set in stone...an "arranged meeting" is more like being set up on a blind date or being hooked up with a chick by your buddy (or a chick being hooked up with a guy by her girlfriend) etc....which are not similar at all to an arranged marriage
Old 2006-05-09, 21:40   Link #112
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
There's also the "matchmaker" arranged marriages (ala Harmony, etc) often used by professional people when "mom's connections just aren't enough". You see examples of this in Azumanga Daioh (the PE teacher), Futari Echhi, etc. Its very popular with the professional people looking for mates.
"matchmaker" type stuff, and being set up on an arranged meeting..is still nothing at all like an arranged marriage
Old 2006-05-09, 21:41   Link #113
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:

I suppose in Japan its a good thing, with all those young workaholic non-social courting skilled professionals.....something that is slowly catching up in the western world to be honest...
Old 2006-05-09, 21:46   Link #114
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I like the bit where Itsuki rushed to the door in desperation. It gives the character Itsuki life, also telling us viewers this fact: "Itsuki is not a random hero with super natural power, he is still a human with emotions!"

Itsuki is yet my favourite anime character...

Side note: Kyon's sister is sooooooo cuuuuuuute!
Old 2006-05-09, 21:54   Link #115
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
nice out on a technicality but an "arranged marriage" means to me, one that is family arranged and can not be turned down..one that is set in stone...an "arranged meeting" is more like being set up on a blind date or being hooked up with a chick by your buddy (or a chick being hooked up with a guy by her girlfriend) etc....which are not similar at all to an arranged marriage
That is why I said "yes and no". In this case its a matter of 'semantics'. What an 'arranged marriage' means for a Japanese now and what it meant before (in Tokugawa Japan and before)/what it means in the western usage of the term is now different. If you speak to a Japanese about 'Arranged Marriages'/'Miai' what I described is what they will think of.

It is just like what the term 'boyfriend'/'girlfriend' means is different; in Japan a boyfriend just means a friend who is a boy, while in the western usage it is meant to denote an intimate relationship. The Japanese equivalent would be 'kareshi'/'kanojo'.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-05-09, 22:45   Link #116
Cal-Reflector

I detect a certain pattern of behavior from Kyon towards Mikuru emerging, one which I'm sure Japanese fans will eventually parody in their artwork. The pattern is generally:

1)Some undesirable event occurs/is placed upon Kyon, costing him money, time, convenience, etc.
2)This event tends to lead to some opportunity in the form of interaction with Mikuru
3)Kyon says "Well, as long as Mikuru is (insert something positive), I guess (undesirable event) is worth it."

Parody fanart I'm expecting to see: Mikuru, in her bunny waitress uniform, goes Higurashi. Blood and guts are all over the place, but at the end of it all she smiles sweetly at Kyon, who, bystander as he always is, remarks with a loopy smile, "Well, as long as Mikuru-san is happy, I guess some casualties is alright..."
Old 2006-05-09, 23:05   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Feel free to ignore us but you'll still look silly if you look aghast in Japan when someone mentions an "arranged marriage".
Old 2006-05-09, 23:10   Link #118
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Finally got around to watching the episode (subbed). Initial impressions:

Spoiler for For this episode:
Old 2006-05-09, 23:25   Link #119
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

also keep in mind that not all the members of the various organizations *agree* with the plan of action (noninterference, observe) ...
speculation: I full expect some of the less agreeable factions to "insert a little extra fun" at some point.
Old 2006-05-10, 01:09   Link #120
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
also keep in mind that not all the members of the various organizations *agree* with the plan of action (noninterference, observe) ...
speculation: I full expect some of the less agreeable factions to "insert a little extra fun" at some point.

woohoo! tailgrabbing galore¬!