AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-10, 07:22   Link #221
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
The "health" related oddities are going to be worth keeping an eye on. Someone who actually knows medicine can correct me, but aren't collapsed lungs usually associated with physical trauma, or injury? I wonder if it's relevant that his father specifically mentions that he had it happen twice.
I'm guessing the collapsed lung in this case is Primary Spontaneous Pneumothorax which has no known cause but family history and the male gender are risk factors. There's also Secondary Spontaneous (caused by an underlying lung disease) and Traumatic (the one you're thinking of). MeoTwister can give a better answer...

But yes i also think that piece of information is relevant. Imo I think the collapsed lung in this case isn't hereditary in the genetic sense...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 07:23   Link #222
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

The way the entire 'feeling' of the town reflects the genre well. The darker tones of the animation and the background music used are well suited to the show's mysterious and dark atmosphere.

And I have to say that by the end of the episode, I started 'reminiscing' about past horror movies and shows and guessing how this new one will play out.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 07:32   Link #223
Jerseykid

Maybe it's just the order I am watching things in but thank goodness we have something serious this season.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 07:38   Link #224
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Haven't had time to watch the show dammit due to duty and crazy ass patients, but anyway...

Without a history of trauma or an underlying lung disease yes it's primary spontaneous pneumothorax. I've seen two cases of it since I started clerkship and both had no history other than it suddenly happening. One of the main primary theories is that genetic mutations causes weakness in the tissues of the lung visceral pleura, making the surface tissue of the lung more susceptible to rupture during the stretching effects of respiration, but of course I don't think they've found that gene yet.

Anyway I'll catch up with the show later tonight and I'll maybe try to explain what medical conditions they have.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 08:33   Link #225
casval cehack

This reminds me of "Fragile" and the Thai film "Seeing Ghost" in its haunting style. Very good episode as expected of P.A. Works.
Old 2012-01-10, 09:16   Link #226
Kakkou
Tch.

Count me in the camp that actually likes the OP lol. I don't like the sequence though. Even if the song wasn't too fitting, the sequence could have made it better. So far only the Rozen Maiden staff and Beetrain have been able to make good use of an AliPro song imo.

Well that aside, the first episode was good, if not lacking in the animation department. The visual quality and music was top notch and the atmosphere good, but the doll transition cuts feel like they're trying a bit too hard to make things eerie.

The mystery itself has been established well enough, with a lot of hints that nothing is right and a very big secret is being kept from Kouichi. As unsubtle as it was presented, it felt necessary. Here's to hoping the rest of the buildup and revelations will be worthwhile and accompanied by some good horror scenes that are well, actually horrifying.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 09:18   Link #227
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I like the dark atmosphere. The art is great and detailed. Story seems interesting. And i like the fact that the classmates looks differents & detailed.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 09:24   Link #228
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami-chan View Post
Okay, I call it. By the end of this series, there's gonna be people stalking him or something
I won't be surprised if that does happen considering the really strange behavior of those students.

Also, anyone else noticed that the adult female characters looked so young? The character design for this series is just gorgeous. To be more precise, I'm referring to the aunt and the assistant homeroom teacher. >.<
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 10:50   Link #229
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Hmm, I'm not as taken with the show as everyone else seems to be but I'll give it another few episodes to see if I warm up to it. I do have a theory though, what if Mei Misaki isn't actually a ghost but instead each class three in the ninth grade chooses one person to sit in the dead girl's seat/be ignored at them like she really is a ghost to keep the girl's memory alive? The aunt did hint that the facade didn't end after graduation and this would be keeping with the tone of the series thus far.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 11:05   Link #230
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Wow not a single ray of sunshine in this pilot, and it even looks like smiles are a rare and limited commodity. Everyone's faces looks so glum and sullen, the men look downright anemic, the women look like they've been having a period for more than 2 months, the voices are so hushed you'd think someone would get the firing squad for speaking out loud, and those dolls creep me the fuck out.

Just the way I like it. I think it's probable now that the thin red line between sickness and death is one of, if not, the central focus of the story
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 13:40   Link #231
king12354

What's Chihiro doing in this show? Well I guess she would fit right in because she has a condition as well.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 14:03   Link #232
ookamigirl

Kouichi met Mei.
The whole thing just had such a weird vibe.
At least his new classmates were friendly.. up to a point.
I will be watching this one.
Looks very interesting!

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 15:19   Link #233
xizro345
King's Justice

Seems interesting from what I see. However in these kind of works the screenplay can kill or let the show live, so I'll see how it develops. Only negative for me, ALI project doing the OP.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 16:30   Link #234
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Echoing what everyone has said, they did a great job making the atmosphere creepy - a bit too good perhaps, after a while I think they might be laying it a bit too thick. It's not bad or anything though, and I like the more subtle touches they have as well. Lots of things are already mentioned that I won't bother repeating them, but I want to highlight the Sakakibara family situation.

Obviously it's going to be important, what's with Mei's warning at the end and all, but I like how much of his family is still shrouded in mystery as well. One thing I probably missed though, did they mention how long ago has it been since Kouichi's mother passed away, and how did she die? Because it seems like it's been quite a while, yet the Grandpa is still obsessing over it - to the point where even the parrot starts repeating after him. Also, another trivia that may or may not be important - the aunt says that she went to the same school 14 years ago, so it's very possible that she was around Kouichi's age now when her sister is pregnant with Kouichi.
Old 2012-01-10, 16:30   Link #235
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

I'm hoping this creepiness continuous. Being chased around in a highschool at night by...something, sounds interesting by my standards. A few deaths here and there are what i'm expecting when Kouchi continues to hassle and disturb what the other student are trying so hard to ignore.
Old 2012-01-10, 17:18   Link #236
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Damm, this premiere exceeded my expectations, and it's probably the best one this season. The production quality is outstanding. There was so much detail in each classmate as if they were part of the main cast.

Call me crazy, but I think everybody is already dead or about to died at some point. The whole class is just weird and the fact that its being treated differently from the other classes raises some questions.

I'm going to make this my night show, just before my bedtime.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 19:40   Link #237
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Just watched this. I liked the beginning where they set up the "urban legend" and showed a lot of interesting images that just flashed by. Then the OP hit.

The OP was easily the worst thing in this episode, and my only complaint about it. It was purely Narm, and didn't fit the mood at all.

Liked the hospital details. It added a touch of realism, and Noizi Itou always does great work with the designs. The BGM actually fit the mood, as I felt creeped out at least a few times during that episode, especially Mei's walk down the basement corridor.

It feels like people want to fill in Kouichi on some of the details of whatever happened in the village, but they don't. Certainly, the meganekko girl's reaction to Kouichi seeing Mei is telling that something very bad happened.

The teacher's line about "in prime health" felt like foreshadowing. Then finally, Mei's talk with Kouichi on the roof felt like she was angry that nobody has told him yet about whatever the secret is. Was she warning him away because the class might harm him or was she trying to keep him out of it because he's innocent?

Spoiler for death flags:

Finally, seeing that Mei has the same uniform as everyone else makes me wonder. If she's a ghost, does that mean that middle school has uniforms that are stuck in the 70s. Yikes.

I give this episode a 8.5 out of 10. The OP was just bad and that subtracted points for me.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 19:43   Link #238
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Compently told story and clearly established tone and themes spotted in first episode
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 19:57   Link #239
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Standard Japanese horror: Introduce you, tell a yarn then creep you out...

I like it XD
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 20:44   Link #240
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post

It's an psp game right? Is it really that scary?
Go try out the game, if you have a PSP.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, seinen