AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series > F/SN UBW TV Spoiler Threads (for Franchise Veterans)

Notices

View Poll Results: F/SN UBW TV - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 10 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 37.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 12.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 5.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.50%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-05-12, 14:57   Link #121
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Also, the Aniplex subtitles are starting to drive me insane.
What's wrong with Aniplex subtittles?
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 14:59   Link #122
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
What's wrong with Aniplex subtittles?
They can't decide if they want to go with "I am the bone of my sword" or with "My body is made of swords". In Rin's dream with the chant, the former was used, but when Rin said it this episode the latter was used.

Also in the second fight between Archer and Lancer the scene where Lancer says "you call her a dog?" which should actually refer to Lancer himself.

Then there is the next episode preview where Lancer talks as if his master was female.
Old 2015-05-12, 15:16   Link #123
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Japanese: 「今のオレの目的は、衛宮士郎を殺すことだけだ。それを阻むのならば―――この世界は、おまえ が相手でも容 赦はせん」

What it should mean in English: "My only objective right now is to kill Emiya Shirou. If you try to stop me... I will not show you mercy, even in this world."

What Aniplex thinks it says: "The sole objective of the current me is to kill Emiya Shirou. If you try to prevent that, the world will not show mercy, even to you."
Really? Are you sure?

It says お前が相手でも which means "Even if you are the opponent", therefore there is no questioning "even to you"

It says この世界は plainly, which is "this world". It does not say この世界(の中)でも or この世界では. There's no reason to translate it as "in this world".

Quote:
They can't decide if they want to go with "I am the bone of my sword" or with "My body is made of swords". In Rin's dream with the chant, the former was used, but when Rin said it this episode the latter was used.
Legit criticism. I cannot refute this.

Quote:
Also in the second fight between Archer and Lancer the scene where Lancer says "you call her a dog?" which should actually refer to Lancer himself.
Can you give me the exact JP? Otherwise I have nothing to stand on...

Quote:
Then there is the next episode preview where Lancer talks as if his master was female.
Another legit criticism. It is premature for a translator to assume a gender like that.
Old 2015-05-12, 15:31   Link #124
AzumaYugi
ずっと一緒だよ

Quote:
Really? Are you sure?

It says お前が相手でも which means "Even if you are the opponent", therefore so there is no questioning "even to you"

It says この世界は plainly, which is "this world". It does not say この世界(の中)でも or この世界では. There's no reason to translate it as "in this world".
Actually, now that I think about it, Archer could be referring to Unlimited Blade Works when he says この世界は. Since grammar likes throwing itself out of the window when it comes to these Japanese novels, I always went with the idea that Archer was referring to himself and Saber since it goes with the rest of his dialogue in context, which he kinda still is, just... metaphorically.

Other than that, yeah, GreyZone pretty much covered why the subtitles bug me in general.
Old 2015-05-12, 15:35   Link #125
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Actually, now that I think about it, Archer could be referring to Unlimited Blade Works when he says この世界は. Since grammar likes throwing itself out of the window when it comes to these Japanese novels, I always went with the idea that Archer was referring to himself and Saber since it goes with the rest of his dialogue in context, which he kinda still is, just... metaphorically.
I thought a lot about what the "world" symbolizes and I had some crazy ideas as to what he meant. I'm too lazy to write them down and explain them in an understandably manner XDD But you may be right, he might be referring to Unlimited Blade Works.

Quote:
Other than that, yeah, GreyZone pretty much covered why the subtitles bug me in general.
2 mistakes! We can forgive them

Translation is a hard process, it sucks. I wish all of us could magically speak JP and just not need a translation at all. Even if we had the most competent translator of the world, there would still be a lot of assumptions made during the process. It's impossible to do it perfectly.
Old 2015-05-12, 15:42   Link #126
ShadowSamurai365

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
It's really strange... the disappointment many people voice here right now is the disappointment I felt when I read this part in the VN... and yes, I was already massively spoilt because I had already watched F/Z before reading the VN, as well as having been spoilt Archer's identity like 7 years ago. Mind you, I read the VN maybe 1-2 years ago.

I am not sure how I felt at the Saber contract scene. But I don't think it leave any impression on me at all. Also the Archer RM scene was just as bad in the VN, no actually I liked it more in the anime, because Shirou being able to suddenly swordspam 18 swords at once with 1 projection's worth of prana was an asspull in the VN.
For me, I can't believe that most people are upset with the change (of Shirou using projection instead of the swordspam) since that seems like the logical outcome/thing (as far as this series is concerned), considering Shirou's condition at the time (makes me wonder if Ufotable is doing the slow and steady learning/growing in strength, rather than quickly rushing it like the VN).
ShadowSamurai365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 15:44   Link #127
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The lack of swordspam thing was because the VN did not actually say he swordspammed, and people just misinterpreted it.
Old 2015-05-12, 15:50   Link #128
勝利は単純な魂の中に

Quote:
Really? Are you sure?

It says お前が相手でも which means "Even if you are the opponent", therefore there is no questioning "even to you"

Yes, I agree. The other translation is from mirrormoon but that doesn't mean it's perfect. I'm going to assume the translator mentally read the phrase with the extra で particle, a reasonable mistake.
It's pretty clear to me that Archer means that UBW is not going to be showing any mercy to Saber.

As for the other errors, they sound more like typos to me (editor's fault). As for Rin switching "I am the bone of my sword" or with "My body is made of swords", I blame Nasu for making the English/Japanese versions of the UBW chant differ slightly. When someone says 体は剣でできている, you have to interpret whether they are saying the first line of the chant or just saying it in a regular sentence and translate it as such for English, leading to such discrepancies.

By the way, was anyone else reaaaaally disappointed when Saber went back to her old hairstyle after rocking that ponytail in the fight against Archer? I was kinda hoping they would keep that around.
Avatar of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 15:55   Link #129
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The lack of swordspam thing was because the VN did not actually say he swordspammed, and people just misinterpreted it.
Some people on another forum (I really should stop visiting that place...) said that the swordspam CG is shown in both directions, though it seemed more like it was "from above" to me. It's really hard to analyse what happens from VN CGs...

Oh and another improvement by ufo is that Saber rescued Rin from the cage of swords, while in the VN she was still trapped until Archer kidnapped her...
Old 2015-05-12, 15:58   Link #130
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Dreams View Post
Yes, I agree. The other translation is from mirrormoon but that doesn't mean it's perfect. I'm going to assume the translator mentally read the phrase with the extra で particle, a reasonable mistake.
It's pretty clear to me that Archer means that UBW is not going to be showing any mercy to Saber.

As for the other errors, they sound more like typos to me (editor's fault). As for Rin switching "I am the bone of my sword" or with "My body is made of swords", I blame Nasu for making the English/Japanese versions of the UBW chant differ slightly. When someone says 体は剣でできている, you have to interpret whether they are saying the first line of the chant or just saying it in a regular sentence and translate it as such for English, leading to such discrepancies.

By the way, was anyone else reaaaaally disappointed when Saber went back to her old hairstyle after rocking that ponytail in the fight against Archer? I was kinda hoping they would keep that around.
I agree with you too and thinking more clearly, there's no doubt that Archer was referring to Unlimited Blade Works in my mind now. xD
Old 2015-05-12, 16:00   Link #131
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
I agree with you too and thinking more clearly, there's no doubt that Archer was referring to Unlimited Blade Works in my mind now. xD
To be honest when I read the subs I thought of the possibility that "the world" was refering to Alaya for some reason.
Old 2015-05-12, 16:00   Link #132
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
To be honest when I read the subs I thought of the possibility that "the world" was refering to Alaya for some reason.
That's exactly what I went with before realizing it was UBW.
Old 2015-05-12, 16:02   Link #133
AzumaYugi
ずっと一緒だよ

To be fair to Aniplex, I don't think any full English translation has accurately transcribed the Unlimited Blade Works chant ever. The Japanese and English arias are two different sides of the same coin, with one chant adding context onto the other (via ruby text in the VN), but aren't translations of each other. But translators seem to just always go with either JUST the English chant for everything, when ideally they should use the English chant and a translation of the Japanese chant depending on which one it is. Aniplex's other mishaps are a different story though, for example having Shirou describe Archer as "the man in white" in the first cour (not sure if this was fixed in the Blu-ray).

Quote:
Can you give me the exact JP? Otherwise I have nothing to stand on...
Lancer to Archer is Japanese: ...狗といったな、アーチャー? (Did you say "Dog", Archer?)

Quote:
That's exactly what I went with before realizing it was UBW.
Alaya wouldn't make much sense in that part of Archer's dialogue. Unlimited Blade Works makes the most sense, seeing as how in the VN, he says that line right before invoking it.
Old 2015-05-12, 16:04   Link #134
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Lancer to Archer is Japanese: ...狗といったな、アーチャー? (Did you say "Dog", Archer?)
The translator made an assumption... <_<

But your translation is probably the safest and the most correct, if we want literal. Aniplex translator was a bit care-less.

Quote:
Alaya wouldn't make much sense in that part of Archer's dialogue. Unlimited Blade Works makes the most sense, seeing as how in the VN, he says that line right before invoking it.
You're absolutely right, it was silly for me to connect it to that. Funny how UBW completely slipped my mind xDD
Old 2015-05-12, 16:13   Link #135
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
You're absolutely right, it was silly for me to connect it to that. Funny how UBW completely slipped my mind xDD
Yes, it slipped my mind too and I realized in a moment that Alaya made not much sense and since I couldn't remember Archer ever saying it in the VN, I just assumed it was a mistranslation... turns out aniplex was actually correct this time.
Old 2015-05-12, 16:26   Link #136
AzumaYugi
ずっと一緒だよ

Quote:
It makes the flow into UBW so much better now in retrospect. This whole time I was running on the same assumption that the mirrormoon translators did, especially since Archer was giving a hint-hint-nudge-nudge knowing Saber "elsewhere" in the rest of the dialogue. "Kono sekai" = UBW totally went over my head.

Spoiler:

Last edited by AzumaYugi; 2015-05-12 at 19:26.
AzumaYugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 00:11   Link #137
Rev Okkin
Yorokobe, (Insert name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzumaYugi View Post
The episode was rather disappointing compared to how much I liked the previous episodes. The Ufotable polish wasn't there and it felt rushed, even if you don't compare it to the VN. Among other things, I agree with Kanon - I don't feel like they did Rin's contract with Saber justice at all. Also, the Aniplex subtitles are starting to drive me insane.

This mistranslation, in particular. Because alongside Ufotable already skipping over what are, to me, crucial lines of dialogue in this episode... Aniplex's mistranslations just makes English-only speakers lose out on even more context:

Posted my full thoughts on the episode here.
Yup read your blog and watched the vid and I don't know your beef.

First off, I do agree that the pacing was off in this episode like there were bits missing and the beginning parts felt like it belonged to the episode previous but because of the intended viewing by marathoning, that shouldn't be a minus. However, in terms of missing stuff, that is to be put off till the actual BD release which should have everything uncut, animation polished and OST made louder.
The Rin and Saber contract was good and done well with the OST following suit to the buildup. The new level of power Saber got can be physically seen and felt as mana was around her like an aura. In contest of power, Saber easily forces Archer down with upper body strength alone which Lancer in the previous episode wasn't able to do even with full body weight pressing on Archer. It's also to note that Archer against Saber was on his knees with a lower centre of gravity so his defence against an attack from above should be at its near best where was Archer against Lancer was standing.
Plus Rin. Rin already had the kind of face of stern worry in the whole section before UBW casting. And it's one thing to know about inner worlds and it's another to know Archer can cast them. What basis does Rin have that Archer can cast them? All what we saw before hand is that Archer has knowledge of them, the suggestion that HS are skilled in both martial and magical arts, all of his multiple projections, visions of an inner world (which doesn't mean it can be recreated just because of such) and Shirou's abilities which show nothing of being able to go that far in magecraft. Again, it's one thing to see a fictional world in TV but another to be brought into that fictional world.
Unlimited Blade Works... I have no problem with it as it looks fittingly fake as its caster and contents imply. It looks as desolate as it can be with the far off horizon to show there is no end to the world itself. The lack of soundtrack other than the foreboding bell highlights the howling wind which implies emptiness and of course, that fits the characterization of Archer and the reality marble itself. Nothing is really lost with the change of lifting swords to projecting them. Heck, it lends to prove that Archer can make as much copies as he needs of the same quality and of the same power. It also makes Shirou's improvement on his abilities more believable because he's projecting the same thing over and over again, pushing himself farther than before. With only one template to work with all he had to improve is the speed of his projections, the quality and the strength. As shown in the ep, he goes from destroying his own projection, to mutual destruction of both Archer's sword and his. As for the abrupt change in location, I would wait for the BD on that.
The thing about HS and Servants, is there anything lost when not mentioned? Is there an incident where it comes to play like a summoning later down the line and the HS acts like an earlier series didn't happen? Say like Diarmud being summoned later on the timeline but isn't crying blood or anything like that?
I don't understand your beef with the Lancer and Saber thing. It looked like Saber making sure that Lancer is their ally and questioning how Shirou and Rin got him. Lancer looked occupied with thoughts of Archer being a dick and what Kirei is planning.
I have no love for the VN OST. A whole lot of it are poorly composed, doesn't use the instruments in their potential (heck even wrongly in some ones) and jarring to listen to at times. I would take ufotable's UBW OST which is special tailored for the series itself and it shows well the on point coordination between the two over the VN OST which quite frankly repeats itself to no end unnecessarily with no feeling of progress (I actually muted Church on the Hill because of my said reasons).
#betteranimation #betterediting
Rev Okkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 01:09   Link #138
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
(I actually muted Church on the Hill because of my said reasons).
I couldn't listen to this either. Until the Vita version came along, I really like the Vita OST xD
Old 2015-05-13, 02:29   Link #139
AzumaYugi
ずっと一緒だよ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Okkin View Post
First off, I do agree that the pacing was off in this episode like there were bits missing and the beginning parts felt like it belonged to the episode previous but because of the intended viewing by marathoning, that shouldn't be a minus. However, in terms of missing stuff, that is to be put off till the actual BD release which should have everything uncut, animation polished and OST made louder.
Sorry, but this is the broadcast edition and I'll point out its pros and cons accordingly for what it is. If the BD release fixes those flaws, then I'll have a separate and possibly more positive view about that.

Aside from animation touch-ups and the common perks of a home release, if what I heard of the BD of the first cour is true, I'm not going to expect anything major added to the BD release of the second cour in terms of story. If it does, then great, I'm all for it. But again, this is the broadcast edition and I'll comment accordingly to what they chose to show to the public first as a professional work.

Also, I'm already not that fond of the OST of Ufotable's UBW to begin with. It's not bad, but it's just underwhelming and not very memorable to me. I prefer Kawai Kenji's compositions based on the VN for the DEEN anime/movie and Kajiura Yuki's compositions for the Zero anime.

Note that for everything non-music related, I've been liking the Ufo anime better than the VN's UBW until now.

Quote:
The Rin and Saber contract was good and done well with the OST following suit to the buildup. The new level of power Saber got can be physically seen and felt as mana was around her like an aura.
The difference between Ufotable's fresh Rin!Saber and Saber's other appearances with Ufotable's famous blue auras is miniscule to the power surge she had in the visual novel.

Spoiler:

VS.

Spoiler:

I love Ufotable's animation. With Ufotable's talents, they could have easily showed the true extent of how much of a nightmare Saber is at her full potential with Rin as her source of mana, but they didn't. With what they've done to impress me so far, this was very underwhelming. (Although I like Saber's ponytail.)

Quote:
Plus Rin. Rin already had the kind of face of stern worry in the whole section before UBW casting. And it's one thing to know about inner worlds and it's another to know Archer can cast them. What basis does Rin have that Archer can cast them? All what we saw before hand is that Archer has knowledge of them, the suggestion that HS are skilled in both martial and magical arts, all of his multiple projections, visions of an inner world (which doesn't mean it can be recreated just because of such) and Shirou's abilities which show nothing of being able to go that far in magecraft. Again, it's one thing to see a fictional world in TV but another to be brought into that fictional world.
Was talking about his identity as a magus before he died, but okay.

Quote:
Unlimited Blade Works... I have no problem with it as it looks fittingly fake as its caster and contents imply. It looks as desolate as it can be with the far off horizon to show there is no end to the world itself. The lack of soundtrack other than the foreboding bell highlights the howling wind which implies emptiness and of course, that fits the characterization of Archer and the reality marble itself.
Agree to disagree. I thought that Unlimited CGI Works looked ugly in comparison to what we've seen glimpses of before in this anime and the Vita opening of UBW. Although I still thought it looked cool because... well, it's Unlimited Blade Works. But honestly it made me retract my Unlimited Budget Works jokes for good (which were ultimately just jokes, Ufotable definitely have talented people, but they don't redefine animation imo, they're just really consistent - so I don't give them too much shit about it).

Quote:
Nothing is really lost with the change of lifting swords to projecting them. Heck, it lends to prove that Archer can make as much copies as he needs of the same quality and of the same power. It also makes Shirou's improvement on his abilities more believable because he's projecting the same thing over and over again, pushing himself farther than before. With only one template to work with all he had to improve is the speed of his projections, the quality and the strength.
My point was that Archer/Shirou doesn't need to project weapons in Unlimited Blade Works. When deployed, his constructs are already there to use. In the real world, his Reality Marble grants him the ability to project/strengthen weapons or create a rain of swords in the air. But in his inner world, he is able to use any of the weapons he calls on immediately into his hand and levitate the swords that are already there to make a rain of swords.

The caster using projection in UBW is incorrect, period.

Quote:
The thing about HS and Servants, is there anything lost when not mentioned? Is there an incident where it comes to play like a summoning later down the line and the HS acts like an earlier series didn't happen? Say like Diarmud being summoned later on the timeline but isn't crying blood or anything like that?
It's, uh, a pretty important thing to think about considering what happens to the central character in UBW. Because whether or not Archer remembers this particular summoning is a pretty big piece of information for people who aren't just passively interested in the series and want something to linger on about.

And also within the Nasuverse, Heroic Spirits not remembering what happened to themselves in another series is a pretty huge detail. Hell, within FSN, Saber remembering what happens to her in previous summonings signifies she isn't even a normal Heroic Spirit.

It also pertains to Archer's work as a Counter Guardian as well. The rules apply there too.

World-building is a cool thing, yo.

Quote:
I don't understand your beef with the Lancer and Saber thing. It looked like Saber making sure that Lancer is their ally and questioning how Shirou and Rin got him. Lancer looked occupied with thoughts of Archer being a dick and what Kirei is planning.
My beef is that originally Saber's reaction made me laugh and Lancer getting agitated as hell about Archer kidnapping Rin was what made me start to really like Lancer in the first place.

I put myself in the shoes of a first-time viewer for a second, and to me Lancer looked ambiguous enough and Saber was just stern as always. I thought it was a shame that the scene wasn't as fun as it was in the VN, or when Lancer teases Rin in the anime (which I liked better than the VN).

Quote:
I have no love for the VN OST. A whole lot of it are poorly composed, doesn't use the instruments in their potential (heck even wrongly in some ones) and jarring to listen to at times. I would take ufotable's UBW OST which is special tailored for the series itself and it shows well the on point coordination between the two over the VN OST which quite frankly repeats itself to no end unnecessarily with no feeling of progress (I actually muted Church on the Hill because of my said reasons).
Like what you like, but for the record, video game music tends to loop until you reach a scene where it's supposed to change...

Original or Vita (for me, original wins some, Vita wins some), the VN music was tailored for the series too. Obviously music made for a visual novel and music made for an anime would differ because the mediums are very different. But I liked what Kawai Kenji did to make those familiar pieces fit into the animation medium. Music is the only thing I prefer DEEN Fsn over Ufotable Fsn.

I don't think Ufotable's music is bad, but it's not really memorable to me. Coming from a person who enjoyed the Tales of Symphonia OVA OST more than most of the game's music, it's not based on purism. lol In UBW, I didn't really care when they never used the more minor tracks (on that note, I thought that one time they decided to do an arrangement of Sorrow of all things was strange), but with Die Lorelei out of the way and this episode lacking the dramatic flare Whirlpool of Fate added to Unlimited Blade Work's desolate surroundings, I wouldn't be too thrilled if they didn't use EMIYA accordingly, or at least something that matches up to it. I would prefer it being the former, because it's Shirou/Archer's friggin' theme.

Quote:
I couldn't listen to this either. Until the Vita version came along, I really like the Vita OST xD
Mighty Wind Vita version~

Last edited by AzumaYugi; 2015-05-13 at 03:25.
AzumaYugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-13, 02:38   Link #140
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
I don't think its really fair to say "it'll be better in the BD so it's okay now." I know you aren't really saying exactly that, but I feel like it still needs to be said: if the BD version is better, that's great, and I wholeheartedly approve of adding content and touch-ups afterwards.

But if you are going to release something on television, you kind of have to be prepared for it to be treated as a finished product, because frankly, it SHOULD be a finished product. "They'll fix it later" is never an acceptable response for a professional, released work.

That being said, my complaints with the episode are probably more towards the direction than the technicals. I feel like UBW was about as underwhelming here as in the VN (why'd you even bother if you couldn't maintain it for any longer than that?), but I feel like they could have made the whole scene a lot more impactful, especially the transition out of it.

Hopefully ufotable can afford to smooth out things in the coming episodes. I feel like these last few have suffered because they are kind of pre-climax, which worries me as to how they are going to deal with Lancer and Kirei's exit, as well as Assassin vs Saber v2. I'm not to worried about Archer and Gil's remaining fights, since they are pivotal enough that I can trust in the reputation of Unlimited Budget Works, but if these last few episodes are any indication, we might be in for some more unnecessarily underwhelming scenes, which would be a real shame.
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote