AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-19, 14:36   Link #261
Random Wanderer

Hmm... is it just me, or was Alice's voice often a bit higher-pitched than normal in episode 1? As if she was deliberately speaking falsetto most of the time. On the other hand, it IS still her voice (she came down to her normal range some of the time).

This felt like a very normal Aria episode. Happy and gentle. The ED is absolutely beautiful, easily my favorite ending theme out of the series thus far. Just... beautiful.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 18:00   Link #262
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrebMarkt View Post
Humm... by the beginning of Origination Akaru & Aika must be around 19-20 and Alice around 17-18.
Yes the still have the same height in the Origination as in the Animation or the Natural.
No, unless they decide to discard some certain manga stories.

Spoiler for manga contents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrebMarkt View Post
Everyone know that Ai-chan will be the next Pair in Aria Company
[kidding]Ai-chan is actually a natural spirit can only be seen by Akari. She interacts and be seen by others is only (day-)dreams Akari has and believes to be true.[/kidding]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Say, just because Akari eventually becomes a prima, that doesn't mean Alicia HAS to retire, does it? I know Aria company keeps things small, but Alicia's not old or anything. She's an expert undine, still attractive, loved, and she loves doing her job. I can't see her quitting just to keep Aria company with a single prima.
Off course it is not. Grandma has served as prima in Aria for decades since she built it. She had apprentice(s) before Alicia. If Aria company really has such a rule of only-one-prima-at-one-time, then what happened on the apprentice(s)? Moreover, it is really a cruel rule and totally against the "spirit" of Aria Company (happiness) if you think it carefully. So I suggest the answer is no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Quote for agreement
Spoiler for ep2:
Old 2008-01-19, 19:11   Link #263
itis

Can Ai even operate a Gandola? In Venice, Gondala's can only be operated by oarsmen who are Venetian borned. Speaking of which, how did Akari become a gondolier? I guess that is why they had the glass episode in the second season.
itis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 19:18   Link #264
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itis View Post
Can Ai even operate a Gandola? In Venice, Gondala's can only be operated by oarsmen who are Venetian borned. Speaking of which, how did Akari become a gondolier? I guess that is why they had the glass episode in the second season.
Well, that's why this is "new" Venice (Neo Venizia) rather than the old one, I guess. This Venice is meant to be a beautiful place that everyone can love and want to become a part of. And Ai was certainly accepted by Aqua... She met the king of cats, after all. I say she definitely belongs there with Akari.
Old 2008-01-19, 19:29   Link #265
itis

Do you know that Venice is a real city on the planet Earth that we live on? Venice is still a beautiful place that everyone can love and be part of.

What does having met the "king of cats" and being accepted by Aria have anything to do with the requirements of being a Gondolier? The anime tries to follow the tradition of the real Venice. Actually, on second thought, it doesn't follow the tradition of the real Venice. Gondoliers have to be born in Venice and they can't be women. (not sure if the latter still applies in modern times) However, I understand what you mean. That is why I mentioned the glass episode from the second season.

Last edited by itis; 2008-01-19 at 19:41.
Old 2008-01-19, 19:47   Link #266
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Venice is still a beautiful place that everyone can love and be part of.
Not if they restrict gondoliers to being males who have been born there.

Quote:
Do you know that Venice is a real city on the planet Earth that we live on?
No way!

Quote:
What does having met the "king of cats" and being accepted by Aria have anything to do with the requirements of being a Gondolier?
The idea came up in Natural that perhaps Cait Sidhe (Sith, however that's supposed to be spelled) is actually the spirit of Aqua itself. Ai has gone through two special events with Akari that involved the cats. She felt that she had been welcomed by Aqua, and I agree. The world accepts her. She belongs there. And I doubt Aria company would turn her away.
Old 2008-01-19, 20:40   Link #267
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Not if they restrict gondoliers to being males who have been born there
Actually, last year Venice had its first female gondolier.
Only took 913 years....
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 22:07   Link #268
itis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Not if they restrict gondoliers to being males who have been born there.
wow, nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Actually, last year Venice had its first female gondolier.
Only took 913 years....
Actually, she doesn't have an official title. She has the right, but not the title. It is sad, but it is tradition.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2008-01-19 at 22:58. Reason: Please avoid double-posting.
Old 2008-01-20, 01:20   Link #269
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Quote:
wow, nice one.

Actually, she doesn't have an official title. She has the right, but not the title. It is sad, but it is tradition.
Now that's easy, just give her the title of Prima.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 01:24   Link #270
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSil80 View Post
Here here. Perhaps something in addition to the moniker.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 01:33   Link #271
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

So to say,Akari actually break the record for being the first man-home native to become a full-fledged undine in Neo-Venezia,assuming that all those undines in Neo-Venezia were native of Aqua.But i guess there's no such tradition in Neo-Venezia stating that an undine must be born in Aqua in order to become an undine...issit?
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 02:39   Link #272
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
But i guess there's no such tradition in Neo-Venezia stating that an undine must be born in Aqua in order to become an undine...issit?
Well, yeah... such a policy wouldn't make all that much sense in Neo-Venezia because, when the whole thing basically started, there were no natives to Aqua.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 04:40   Link #273
itis

It's hard not to compare the traditions of the real Venice with this anime. Let's assume that the city is real. So they replicated the city of Venice, including it's customs, festivals, food, landmark, etc but they changed the most important requirement of being a Gondolier; they changed a male dominated tradition to a female oriented occupation. There hasn't been any male oarsmen in the series. The mailman doesn't count as he is not considered a gondolier. So either in this futuristic setting the position of gondoliers were deemed as women's only and they felt the need to change a 1000 year old tradtion or the author is clearly a feminist.

Anyways, who cares? It's not real.

Back to the topic, I don't think Ai should become a gondolier. She is too annoying. Also, the story is told from a narrative perspective from Akari to Ai. If that changes, who would Akari email to every day?

Last edited by itis; 2008-01-20 at 04:50.
Old 2008-01-20, 05:03   Link #274
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSil80 View Post
According to the article, she can't steer and she can't sing. Give her two gloves and call her a pair.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 09:10   Link #275
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
So to say,Akari actually break the record for being the first man-home native to become a full-fledged undine in Neo-Venezia,assuming that all those undines in Neo-Venezia were native of Aqua.?
I'm not sure how long ago the use of undine was established, but I'm assuming that in about ~100 years this has happened at least once before.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 03:40   Link #276
Liingo
Love Hina?

Just a heads up that episode 2 subs are out. I won't say anything further for fear of bringing hellfire on top of my head.

Oh, and episode 1 was adorable!
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 03:49   Link #277
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Rats, you beat me to it...

In any case, it's almost 4am here and I'm in dire need of sleep. Good thing it's a holiday weekend in the states ^^;;
Old 2008-01-21, 03:51   Link #278
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Y'know, while it isn't illicit to mention the existence of fansubs, going out of the way to announce every episode is a bit much. Don't do it again. Now that people know fansubs exist, let us let them search them out for themselves. If you want people to be aware episode 2 exists, then just discuss the bloody thing and they'll get the hint!

In other news: Yay! I'm gonna go download it now!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 05:52   Link #279
Tabris

I'm starting to burst with excitement waiting for Aria (in a manner of speaking) so I decided to skin my R4DS with an Aria theme
Spoiler:
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 06:27   Link #280
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
If you want people to be aware episode 2 exists, then just discuss the bloody thing and they'll get the hint!
Not... really. Too many folks wander around talking about the raws already. Discussion of an episode has nothing to do with whether it's available subbed or not.

Anyway. All this discussion of Aria has made me unable to resist going back and watching the previous two seasons again. I'm going to blame all of you for that.

...Thanks!

Tags
hal, sci-fi, slice of life