Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-31, 12:10   Link #641
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
Tamaki used the throat thrust to inflict pain and fear in the opponent. this is wrong. it is against kendo principles.

she then offered a helping hand in spite and malice.

Tamaki needs to understand that even if the spirit of kendo does not apply to others, it still applies to her. And winning with those principles is what will make her a true champion.
If she puts a stop to a bunch of bullies that have been causing spite and malice to other children for a while then that might not be a bad thing. Remember she used a thrust earlier to stop a bully then too. The difference is she has control, where as your average person doesn't. Now if Tama decided to cripple the person for good, (I believe she has the ability), then what you are saying is true.

Also how can anyone say that the sensei acts like an adult oO
Old 2008-01-31, 12:16   Link #642
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Her father didn't forbid her to use the thrust against anyone but experienced men for nothing.

I doubt Tamaki fully knows her own strength. She could, quite conceivably, seriously hurt someone without meaning to.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 12:19   Link #643
grey_moon

The main aspect of most martial arts is about self control. Personally I believe at Tama's level she does know her own strength, but she just hides it well for reasons mentioned earlier. Her father told her not to use it when she was much younger I believe. Also is using the thrust against rules? If it is the she is wrong, if it isn't then she was well within her rights to use it.
Old 2008-01-31, 12:23   Link #644
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
The trouble is that she could have very well killed the girl (WOOT?) if she wasn't careful. She may have confidence in her abilities but others don't know her as well as herself

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 12:29   Link #645
grey_moon

Personally I think this whole incident should be filed under the poking a sleeping bear category. Some people will want to persecute Tama for it, but to be honest bullies and cheats like Gin (?? is that her name), end up prodding the wrong person and she is lucky that this wrong person has a huge sense of moral justice.
Old 2008-01-31, 12:48   Link #646
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Personally I think this whole incident should be filed under the poking a sleeping bear category. Some people will want to persecute Tama for it, but to be honest bullies and cheats like Gin (?? is that her name), end up prodding the wrong person and she is lucky that this wrong person has a huge sense of moral justice.
yep thats cause oor Tama-chwan has been influenced by the might that is BLADE BRAVER!!! It really does deserve its own spinoff
Old 2008-01-31, 14:34   Link #647
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Quote:
Isn't that done on a daily basis?

skill =/= maturity.

little kids, child prodigies, may have book smarts, but that doesnt replace experience with learning how to deal with pressure.

Tamaki is in highschool, so that makes her an adult now and Tamaki daddy said she can use throat thrusts.

and what Tamaki learned in this episode is that the bad guy does not have the heart of a true kendo warrior and uses dirty underhanded methods to win.

but here is what she doesn't understand yet, just because someone cheats does not mean you are allowed to.

Tamaki used the throat thrust to inflict pain and fear in the opponent. this is wrong. it is against kendo principles.

she then offered a helping hand in spite and malice.

Tamaki needs to understand that even if the spirit of kendo does not apply to others, it still applies to her. And winning with those principles is what will make her a true champion.
Is the throat attack a valid attack in kendo matches? Is it allowed in junior matches like this? If the attack is allowed, I don't think what Tamaki did is wrong. Just think about it from a strategic stand point, if she drags the match on with regular attacks, her ankle's condition might get worse, she may not win. Using a one hit ko attack is probably the best strategic decision.

<vulgarity removed>

Last edited by monir; 2008-01-31 at 19:14. Reason: Removed pointless spoiler tag
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 19:48   Link #648
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

The tsuki attack is allowed in kendo, but usually only kendokas with at least a few dans in ranks will use it. Younger practitioners aren't usually allowed to use it anyways. Well the thrust attack is probably not a popular choice of attack as it's not easy to accurately stab at the right spot.

Ishida will probably reprimand Tama for using it as what she did was very dangerous. If her opponent did not wear her protective gear properly, such an attack may be fatal. Remember the episode where Miyamiya did the thrust at Saya? That was dangerous as the blade could go in between the protective gear.

Anyway this shows that however awesome Tama is, she still can't control her temper when it matters. Well it's another step towards adulthood. (I can imagine Tamaki Father with tears in his eyes)
musashiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 23:48   Link #649
grey_moon

STOP!!!

Repeat after me.

Age does not = maturity (recycle a few times)

Gosh the idea that she is too young and therefore would not act appropriately is astonishing, especially when comparing her to the sensei. Age might be a general indicator to how mature someone acts in a faceless average, but for individuals age means bugger all. I've seen adults behave far worse then children, and throw in competitive sports its ZOMG.

I've been chatting and the tsuki (is that how it is spelt?) is allowed in competitions as the face guard has a section that will protect the throat.

My source said that saying that Tama might kill someone if they were not wearing the protective gear properly is stupid. A person who is in competition and doesn't ensure their own protective gear in on correctly is putting themselves at risk. They also pointed out that they have never heard of anyone complaining about using the thrust in competition and it sounds as stupid as blaming games for violence.
Old 2008-02-01, 00:01   Link #650
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

football players wear protective gear does that mean they dont run the risk of getting paralyzed when their spine breaks?

every sport has risks. protective gear does break. Sure, Bamboo blade is over dramatizing it.

Tamaki has far more maturity than most girls her age. however, there were plenty of signs during that episode that showed her lack of self control. I'm not going to point them out.

but I will tell you, that out of the two, Yuji is far more sensible, even though Tamaki has greater skills. This is not something new. there were faint hints in every other episode. Yuji and Tama do not talk much. so when they say something, it is very important although it may seem only trivial at the time.

you are making tamaki out like she is some sort of heavenly goddess sent to conquer the bamboo world. which is part of the series basis.

but would that be interesting if we didnt get to see her character development? of course not. everyone wants Tamaki to have the most screen time, right?
(except me, I want more reimi :x )
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 00:13   Link #651
JediNight
キズランダム

Just watching EP11 right now. Some curious choice of camera angles for the first couple minutes of the episode lol

*chest shot while bending over stretching camera*
*skirt shot camera*
*panning from skirt to chest camera*

I guess he was just a little drunk at the time and not careful where he was aiming the camera ...
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 00:17   Link #652
grey_moon

I'm not making her out to be anything other then godly at kendo and a hero freak.

I just think that saying that Kojiro is able to teach her anything in the two is rather blinkered with the whole teacher/adult knows best thing. Kojiro is one of the most immature teachers I have seen in anime and how has he done anything for the kendo club that wasn't self motivated. He might realise now the truer feelings for it are, but as Yuji keeps pointing out, they were not that way.

Yuji is the most mature of the characters, Tama was initially displayed as she and unsocialable and the show has been about her overcoming that. The fact that she is Tsumukari when she holds a shinai is neither here or there. It is a fact in this show. The only weakness she has shown so far related to kendo (and sign of immaturity maybe*) is when she was reminded of her mum. She was able to own sensei 2, and he had to go full out to avoid loosing to her, and he seems to be the type of person who has been really serious about it unlike Kojiro.

Kojiro is best suited as he has shown to be about teaching people about life, but only in the sense of coasting their way through and having a good time..

*If her mum has died, then I don't think it is a sign of immaturity to get distracted by a reminder of her. I know i still get distracted about any reminders of my dad.
Old 2008-02-01, 00:34   Link #653
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

She was able to own sensei 2, and he had to go full out to avoid loosing to her, and he seems to be the type of person who has been really serious about it unlike Kojiro.

This point is mute.

no one is arguing her battle skills. she clearly won the match and almost broke her sword.

the point is how she used those battle skills. was it done in discipline or done in anger?

this is the issue.
Old 2008-02-01, 00:42   Link #654
Boohahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I'm not making her out to be anything other then godly at kendo and a hero freak.

I just think that saying that Kojiro is able to teach her anything in the two is rather blinkered with the whole teacher/adult knows best thing. Kojiro is one of the most immature teachers I have seen in anime and how has he done anything for the kendo club that wasn't self motivated. He might realise now the truer feelings for it are, but as Yuji keeps pointing out, they were not that way.

Yuji is the most mature of the characters, Tama was initially displayed as she and unsocialable and the show has been about her overcoming that. The fact that she is Tsumukari when she holds a shinai is neither here or there. It is a fact in this show. The only weakness she has shown so far related to kendo (and sign of immaturity maybe*) is when she was reminded of her mum. She was able to own sensei 2, and he had to go full out to avoid loosing to her, and he seems to be the type of person who has been really serious about it unlike Kojiro.

Kojiro is best suited as he has shown to be about teaching people about life, but only in the sense of coasting their way through and having a good time..

*If her mum has died, then I don't think it is a sign of immaturity to get distracted by a reminder of her. I know i still get distracted about any reminders of my dad.
Not quite, even the best of people can lose it in the heat of the moment. Kojiro most likely saw this. Remember Kojiro does have more experience, and nothing can substitute that. A soccer player in a team can be more skillful than the captain or the coach, but that doesn't exempt them from being told off if they do something wrong. That is the role of a coach and a captain of a team.

Maturity goes along with age, it only depends on how the individual grows. I can tell you I was more mature when I was 21 as to when I was 17, and now I am more mature than I was 21 years old. Experience in life shapes and changes an individual. Hence in general age does = maturity.
Boohahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 00:58   Link #655
ThoHell

Quote:
She was able to own sensei 2, and he had to go full out to avoid loosing to her, and he seems to be the type of person who has been really serious about it unlike Kojiro.

This point is mute.

no one is arguing her battle skills. she clearly won the match and almost broke her sword.

the point is how she used those battle skills. was it done in discipline or done in anger?

this is the issue.
Even if sensei 2 went all out her still would of lost. Tama tries to keep her skill lvl around those around her. Just because she was shocked by seeing an ascension stance, which reminded her of her mom, doesn't mean she was going to loose. She has been fighting adult since was little, and mainly they were all males. She has encountered that stance several times. It's a one attacking determining move, the fastest win. Only things sensei 2 had on Tama was strength and reach. Strength in this type of sport doesn't bring home a win, it just delays the loosing moment. The techniques and skill lvl she displays during competition and practice are nothing compared to that of her private/solo training.

The trust was indeed a powerful move, but isn't her most advance nor most powerful. At first she wanted to discipline, but the malice leaking from her opponent lead to her anger. Anger is a secondary emotion, it always follows another. To want to discipline (this isn't an emotion so doesn't rule out anger as a secondary emotion) is born through anger from an unjust act.

And as for Tama's maturity lvl, she is VERY mature. That's why she is so unfamiliar with common things and also emotion. Lack of interaction due to force maturity. This series is not only about building a kendo club, but to introduce the joy of life and such to Tama(emotional experience and growth), which she missed out on a lot during her childhood.

Last edited by ThoHell; 2008-02-01 at 01:19.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 01:15   Link #656
grey_moon

Quote:
This point is mute.

this is the issue.
No it isn't moot, it is very very valid to the point of this discussion. Sensei 2 is a kendo-ka of no small skill and unlike Kojiro I believe he has kept up his passion and training. For him to acknowledge Tama's concentration and skill shows what level it is at. That means arguments that she might kill someone because she doesn't know her own strength are just wrong.

Anyways why the persecution of Tama? Why not bully girl? Bullying is a huge issue no matter what country you are in, but in Japan it seems it is a very big problem that your mature adults have no idea how to deal with and it leads in deaths via suicide all the time.
Old 2008-02-01, 01:30   Link #657
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

just drop the killing part already. no one thinks tama was trying to kill anyone.

Just beacuse your teacher is a lazy old man now doesnt mean he doesnt deserve respect. he was japans national champion in the past, btw.

he could have zero kendo skills and be the world's worst ping pong champion, but if he can teach Tamaki the difference between what she should or shouldnt do that, between right and wrong, then he has every right to be her superior.

you are treading a fine line here. it's almost as if you are saying that the strongest should have the right to decide.

stength is not justice.

neither is knowledge, wisdom.

wisdom only comes with experience and patience. claiming a teenage girl is wiser than her 40 year old teacher is foolish.
Old 2008-02-01, 01:41   Link #658
grey_moon

Quote:
just drop the killing part already. no one thinks tama was trying to kill anyone.

Just beacuse your teacher is a lazy old man now doesnt mean he doesnt deserve respect. he was japans national champion in the past, btw.

he could have zero kendo skills and be the world's worst ping pong champion, but if he can teach Tamaki the difference between what she should or shouldnt do that, between right and wrong, then he has every right to be her superior.

you are treading a fine line here. it's almost as if you are saying that the strongest should have the right to decide.

stength is not justice.

neither is knowledge, wisdom.

wisdom only comes with experience and patience. claiming a teenage girl is wiser than her 40 year old teacher is foolish.
What you smoking? Actually what are you watching? Give me a list of all the adult like things that Kojiro has done? Even his positive actions were tied into him ignoring Tama breaking the school rules. The kendo club was something he did to firstly get a free meal and secondly to try keep his job.

And how am I saying might makes right? I just said that the bully girl poked a sleeping bear and hopefully will learn a lesson from it.

What a load of crap. Knowledge is not wisdom? What show are u trying to talk about? This is bamboo blade, and the issue is about if the sensei tries to lecture Tama about using the thrust.

Show me something that says that Kojiro is 40 and wise and i'll say you need to take your meds. Kojiro is learning as much as Tama is, but in different things.
Old 2008-02-01, 01:47   Link #659
ThoHell

Quote:
And stating such a thing is ignorance. No matter how old or how mature you are, you will always have immaturities, even the Pope does. Looks at President Bush Jr. (he holds on of the most powerful, influential, and prestiges positions in the world, but he still makes bad choices), Bill Clintion while in office, Hilary Clinton while running for office. Many people with so called experience, patience, and wisdom, who have done more chaos, murder, and reek havoc on the world are adults...........to state a teenager can't be smarter than a 40 year old teacher is foolish. Being wise isn't only in one field, but many. Some people can be wiser in certain fields than others and vise versa. Everyone is different!

Last edited by ThoHell; 2008-02-01 at 01:57.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 02:14   Link #660
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I feel like I'm arguing with two 12 year olds who think they should stay up past their bed time when mom says the curfew is at 10.

REGARDLESS of how immature an adult CAN BE, that does not mean MOST of them are DUMBZ.

Quote:
And stating such a thing is ignorance.
do you even know what this word means?

Quote:
Show me something that says that Kojiro is 40
its called a generalization. Let me put it another way, I am going to assume he is older than you since you are watching a shoujo anime and he is a high school teacher.

Quote:
Give me a list of all the adult like things that Kojiro has done?
YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW? watch the next episode where he tries to make Tamaki forfeit the match. YES I'M CALLING IT. he will try to make Tamaki forfeit or have her substituted.
If this happens, I win, you lose. If I'm wrong you win and I will vote for your teenage sister for US president as soon as she is on the ballots.

I will not reply to any more arguements about this issue unitl the next episode airs. Get your pot shots in now!

Tags
comedy, seinen