AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-10-05, 04:01   Link #1
Kisumi
where's my identity?..

Chuunibyou IRL

Children quite a lot act like chuunibyou at some moment, almost all my friends who like anime admit, that in some moment they've been pretending to be Naruto or Sailor Moon or other interesting stuff. I was doing similliar things, too, but I never want to stop. For me, 'chuunibyou' is a great form of self-expression and even an art-form.
So, what do you think? Share your thoughts and experiences.
And if you are still a chuunibyou or know where to meet one, please let me know :3
Old 2014-10-05, 15:04   Link #2
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is that anime about?
Old 2014-10-05, 16:06   Link #3
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What is that anime about?
I don't think the topic starter was talking about the anime. On the second thought, maybe the discussion is about the anime.

This "middle school sencond grade student" label started in 2ch BBS. The BBS had a lot of trolls and flammers. They noticed some of the trolls are very childish. So, they call these trolling act as "middle school second grade student's disease", or chuunibyou. When the trolling happened during summer, they call it as chuuni on the summer vaction. When the trolling happend during the winter, they called it as chuuni on the winter break.
At least one guy wrote the book about chuuni. Chuunibi has several special traits. It includes evil eye(aka believing he has super power). See the eye patch reference in anime Another.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 09:36   Link #4
Kisumi
where's my identity?..

I asked this question not about the anime, but about the phenomenon, when people act like they have super powers or copy favourite character's behaviour, dressing style and stuff like that ^^
Old 2014-10-06, 17:01   Link #5
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisumi View Post
I asked this question not about the anime, but about the phenomenon, when people act like they have super powers or copy favourite character's behaviour, dressing style and stuff like that ^^
Taking it seriously as an adult is a sign of mental illness. Nothing wrong with it if you're just playing around, though.
Old 2014-10-06, 20:10   Link #6
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisumi View Post
Adults do that all the time. The only thing that stops them from being put in an institution is that they are supported by organised religion.
Old 2014-10-06, 23:30   Link #7
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Adults do that all the time. The only thing that stops them from being put in an institution is that they are supported by organised religion.
I don't think the religon fits the description. Chuuni-byou(illness) was originally coined byHikaru Ijūin's radio program(1/11/1999). The peson develped the special value during the time of puberty:Self-righteous, arrogant, feels not understood, conscious, feeling miserable.

The published book classify three types of chuunibyou.
1. DQN: anti-social or the holligan behavior
2. サブカル系(subculture): who prefers non-mainstream hobby and culture.
3. 邪気眼系(evil eyes): who fantasized supernatural stuffs

It means these people take their preferences to the extreme. Not all religious people are crazy.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 00:01   Link #8
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Never said all religious people are crazy. Just that crazy people can avoid treatment by using religion.
Old 2014-10-07, 06:27   Link #9
Kisumi
where's my identity?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
The published book classify three types of chuunibyou.
1. DQN: anti-social or the holligan behavior
2. サブカル系(subculture): who prefers non-mainstream hobby and culture.
3. 邪気眼系(evil eyes): who fantasized supernatural stuffs
So, in some ways, we can call hikkikomoris and /b/tards chuunibyou, because they have that DQN one? And all the hipsters are chuunibyou, too? o.o
Old 2014-10-07, 07:26   Link #10
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'd also conjecture that there should be a 4th classification called Political/Radical Chuunibyouism where people have delusions of grandeur about military or political exploits. I believe its been a strong factor behind the radicalisation of western muslims to terrorists groups throughout the 9/11 wars, but more recently to the ISIS. The romanticising of ISIS's brutal terrorism into a legitimate rebellion that aims to make history has not only been attractive to the men but also to young girls and women.

I highly recommend watching Episode 2 of Ghost in Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG, which I think illustrates political chunnibyouism pretty damn well. (It's a self contained episode so you don't have to watch the rest of the series to understand it.)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 16:35   Link #11
Jaden

scififan's post was the first time I heard of a real definition for the word. I feel like it's just a meme these days.

And what the OP is describing sounds no different from roleplaying, really. And that's been just as popular for as long as I can remember. When anime was not a thing we would take our inspiration from books and comics or just make up our own shit. Also there was a new trading card game that myself and my friends picked up called Doomtown, which turned into a great setting for roleplaying. It's like a western film with supernatural and steampunk elements, so basically anything goes.
Old 2014-10-08, 19:48   Link #12
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Do remember that CERTAIN types of "Chuunibyou" are considered PERFECTLY mature and acceptable by westernized society.

For example, it is considered a sign of maturity and intelligence to worship the ground walked on by some British dude called joe-pee-pee-maltin who scribbled some crap called play-of-chairs about incestuous medieval assholes who throw innocent children out windows while whoring out their own-sisters' virginity for the eggs of fire vomiting lizards with wings.

Whereas, (actual personal experience) if you DARE to openly love K-ON! and A Certain Scientific Railgun, (Anime/Manga of friendship, courage, hopes and dreams) over play-of-chairs in the Australian Fanboy Community, you are an immature, deluded, evil white hating Asian-supremacist pedophile.

Last edited by Yui Is My Wife; 2014-10-09 at 02:58.
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 21:59   Link #13
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

If you understand how annoying it is to have other people insulting what you like, please refrain from insulting what other people like.
Old 2014-10-09, 05:11   Link #14
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
If you understand how annoying it is to have other people insulting what you like, please refrain from insulting what other people like.
Insults is a game to earn submission AND respect or give ire and humility, both at the same time. Just play.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 05:25   Link #15
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Do remember that CERTAIN types of "Chuunibyou" are considered PERFECTLY mature and acceptable by westernized society.

For example, it is considered a sign of maturity and intelligence to worship the ground walked on by some British dude called joe-pee-pee-maltin who scribbled some crap called play-of-chairs about incestuous medieval assholes who throw innocent children out windows while whoring out their own-sisters' virginity for the eggs of fire vomiting lizards with wings.

Whereas, (actual personal experience) if you DARE to openly love K-ON! and A Certain Scientific Railgun, (Anime/Manga of friendship, courage, hopes and dreams) over play-of-chairs in the Australian Fanboy Community, you are an immature, deluded, evil white hating Asian-supremacist pedophile.
I honestly have no idea who or what you're talking about.
Old 2014-10-09, 05:56   Link #16
EroKing

Game of Thrones...
Old 2014-10-09, 08:10   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Game of Thrones...
Oh, that explains the rant. Amazingly, I've never watched it.

Also, Yui, now that someone translated your rant for me, I'm quite sure that we happen to share a hobby that many people look down upon even if they're being hypocrites. Don't let it get to you. What you're describing is not chuuni syndrome, but the bias of pockets of culture. It's not the same type of delusion.
Old 2014-10-09, 08:49   Link #18
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Oh, that explains the rant. Amazingly, I've never watched it.

Also, Yui, now that someone translated your rant for me, I'm quite sure that we happen to share a hobby that many people look down upon even if they're being hypocrites. Don't let it get to you. What you're describing is not chuuni syndrome, but the bias of pockets of culture. It's not the same type of delusion.
Thank You, fellow Madoka-chan worshiper, for being that pat on the shoulder of kindness like our Goddess of Hope.

Sorry for getting this mad. I once made the "mistake" of being angered and offended by a (former) friend play-of-chairs-fan LOUDLY YAWNING "Phew, I thought it was someone important" at the tragic death of Kawakami Tomoko (the voice actress of Misuzu from "AIR") who THEN rubbed salt in the wounds by adding "at least she isn't a "real" actor like that dwarf from play-of-chairs (whose name I DONT care to remember for this insult)"

A "mistake" the chair-players (as I refer to their ilk, and by extension ALL black-hearted cynical backstabbers who stomp their heels into the hopes and dreams of decent people) deemed punishable by a YEAR of internet gang-bullying on Facebook, tearing down each and EVERY pro-Asian-culture pro-Anime remark as a gesture of yellow-supremacy and white-hate, compounded with badmouthing to my other friends behind my back that only ended when I blocked and unfriended ALL of them and everyone they knew to sever the network dead.

This kind of bullying is hard to forgive and even harder to forget.

Funny how you are allowed to be PROUDLY chuunibyou for medieval asshole stories written by a British dude, and not the same for stories of love hope and friendship like AIR, CLANNAD and K-ON!

And equally funny, how medieval fantasy fans, infamous for being loners, are more united than anyone in defending the supposed superiority of their little fairy-lands of midgets with hairy feet and pointy eared tree hugging anorexic Aryan stereotypes playing with bows and arrows.

Last edited by Yui Is My Wife; 2014-10-10 at 04:07.
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 09:38   Link #19
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Just to let you know, George R R Martin is American.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-09, 13:45   Link #20
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe it is a style thing. Or just a personal issue. I seem to recall overreactions to certain things before that were maintained even when unnecessary. Especially when it comes to happenstance potental racism only by virtue of filming location extras and non-native staring actors.

Tags
chuunibyou