AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-05-30, 20:56   Link #41
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Why not just autoload them from the Avisynth plugin folder?
My experience is that this easily causes more problems than it solves. Sure, it makes things a bit easier, you don't have to manually load plugins, but it can also cause weird, hard-to-diagnose problems when you just load a bunch of filters, some of which might be badly coded in one way or other.
When someone can't get Avisynth working I usually tell them to clear out their Plugins folder, and it almost always works.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 21:01   Link #42
comatose

Indeed. Autoloading is the devil.
comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-30, 21:13   Link #43
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatose View Post
Hey Dark Shikari, how did you get the dump in the first post?
strings filename.mkv | less
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
My experience is that this easily causes more problems than it solves. Sure, it makes things a bit easier, you don't have to manually load plugins, but it can also cause weird, hard-to-diagnose problems when you just load a bunch of filters, some of which might be badly coded in one way or other.
When someone can't get Avisynth working I usually tell them to clear out their Plugins folder, and it almost always works.
Hmm, I have like 100 filters and have no issues except when debugging, since one of them has some anti-debugger protection on it. So I move them out when I'm using gdb, but that's about it.

Good point though, when you have a huge number it probably speeds things up to stop autoloading.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 17:07   Link #44
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Instead of autoloading I just wrote a bigass .avs which had a LoadPlugin line for every filter, then just import that .avs at beginning of all my scripts. Of course a majority of the lines are commented out because I hardly use even a 1/4 of the filters I have, and also AviSynth is limited to like 60 (?) filters loaded at any one time. So I just comment/uncomment from that huge loader avs and handle it that way.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 23:42   Link #45
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Well, it didn't take me very long to find out who Dark Shikari was referring to.. Tbh I've never even heard of this show.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 23:47   Link #46
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Well, it didn't take me very long to find out who Dark Shikari was referring to.. Tbh I've never even heard of this show.
If you haven't heard of the anime that I'm referring to here, you got the anime wrong. I can guarantee that 99% of the people on these forums know all about this particular anime

(Hint: Kyoto Animation)
Old 2008-06-01, 00:51   Link #47
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
If you haven't heard of the anime that I'm referring to here, you got the anime wrong. I can guarantee that 99% of the people on these forums know all about this particular anime

(Hint: Kyoto Animation)
I guess I'm that 1% that has no clue what anime you're talking about even if I've probably seen it.
Old 2008-06-02, 00:28   Link #48
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Then I wouldn't know heh, since most of their shows are licensed.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 00:58   Link #49
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
The lack of additional hints is really pissing me off. <_<
Old 2008-06-11, 23:13   Link #50
Vicfred
free software enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Vicfred Send a message via Yahoo to Vicfred
tags: 'hint: macross frontier' ... wtf?
Vicfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 22:25   Link #51
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
Kyoto isn't doing anything this season...
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 22:52   Link #52
WoodsieLord

Hello there people.
I'm new to the forums!. I've found this topic and looks interesting. About the x264 trivia from the first post, I couldn't guess any of them. Not to mention I didn't know that using x264 streams inside an AVI container is not convenient. I always thought that the container was just a container, where some of thems allows you to put some streams (like ass subtitles vs srt or more than 1 video stream...) where others can't.

I have questions about x264. I'm currently using the "Death the sheep" video for windows compilation (libx264 core 58 svn-747 bm). I wanted to know more about the parameters mentioned in the first post. Also, I'm very interested in the multi threading part. Right now I have a dual core processor but, hopefuly I will be upgrading to 8 threads soon. Of course I do not encode for living, I started lerning encoding more seriously about the DivX 5 days. Right now I feel comfortable using avisynth scripts and virtualdub/mod (also I'm loading some plugins from a custom folder, smartssiq was one of them if I remember correctly. Others, are autmatically loaded. I never noticed any performance loss from autoload although I don't many filters either).

I would like to learn more about encoding. I always found it interesting, and I thought I might join a fansub to learn more. Now that I've seen this post and the thread about fansubs recruiting, I'm almost sure that no fansub would actually recruit me to 'teach me' / do the 'staff training' thing. I really need to read more. I've always felt discouraged because I can't seem to find more advanced guides easily explained for dummies. ...I've already downloaded Megui, I will have a look at it tomorrow. Now that I know AVI will drop x264 streams quality, I should start using mkv.
What should I do advance some more steps? I'm interested in x264 and Xvid, I still use the last one with my Palm media player

I think I said all I wanted to, however I must apologize in advance. I know my english is a bit... -rusty-.
WoodsieLord.
WoodsieLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 09:10   Link #53
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsieLord View Post
using x264 streams inside an AVI container is not convenient.
AVI is bad for H.264 because it doesn't properly handle B-frames or frame reordering, both of which H.264 require. It works, but many players don't support it, and its an ugly hack.
Quote:
I have questions about x264. I'm currently using the "Death the sheep" video for windows compilation (libx264 core 58 svn-747 bm).
Update to the latest r891, silly.
Quote:
I wanted to know more about the parameters mentioned in the first post.
Start reading then.
Quote:
Now that I know AVI will drop x264 streams quality, I should start using mkv.
Its not a quality issue, just a compatibility one.
Old 2008-08-04, 10:28   Link #54
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
The person who encoding the file in the first post should really be banned from life. Can we get the fashion police on them at least or something like that?

The funny thing is, he probably works for an R1 anime company doing their DVDs. LOL!
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 22:18   Link #55
helms

Dark Shikari, how do you find out what x264 settings are used to encode a video after it's been encoded?
helms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 23:34   Link #56
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helms View Post
Dark Shikari, how do you find out what x264 settings are used to encode a video after it's been encoded?
strings filename | less
Old 2008-08-13, 07:39   Link #57
helms

Where do you type "strings filename | less" ?
Old 2008-08-13, 08:01   Link #58
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by helms View Post
Where do you type "strings filename | less" ?
In a UNIX'y shell, eg. on a Linux system.
But you can use anything that opens binary files to see it, like a hex editor.
x264 just stores a string containing the encoding settings inside all H.264 streams it produces.
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 08:28   Link #59
helms

Hmm, I downloaded Notepad++ (hex editor), I'm on windows, and I dragged and dropped a file and I see gibberish.
Old 2008-08-13, 08:46   Link #60
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Keep scrolling through the gibberish. You'll spot them eventually.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
encoding, x264