AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Old 2008-04-08, 01:12   Link #341
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Worth a watch for serious Bones alone; completely in another ground when compared to last year's Skullman or DTB.
That's because Nakamura and friends were really busy with SWORD OF THE STRANGER last year... which should be arriving on blu-ray this weekend for me! WEEEEEEEEEE! WEEK OF BONES LOVE! <3
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 03:13   Link #342
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

We made a Soul eater summary earlier in the day but didn't post it.

That said

Spoiler:
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 05:09   Link #343
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

I waited until midnight but still no raw release . . . so I try again tonight . . . still at 25.0% . . . the torture of waiting! x_x

Anywayz, whoa! So many posts just talking about the performance of Maka's VA. She was okay for me in the trailer . . . but I'll check out the actual episode first to hear for myself.
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 05:14   Link #344
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I couldnt hold up much longer .. downloading those humongous raw file is a pain ;_;
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 05:49   Link #345
wao
OK.

Oh god, I completely forgot to watch this and only got to see the first half But from what I saw...

-I normally like "rough" or unusual voice acting like the characters from TokiKake, but I'm sorry to say Maka's totally ruined the atmosphere for me. I guess I can get used to it though, but man. It wouldn't hurt to have new seiyuu start off as side characters first, yanno...

-Bones and their animation... Just from the first half there was some really obvious Yutaka Nakamura. 7th is right, it's on a different level rom DtB or Skullman. An Irie-only OP... wow. And look at the angle-shifting.

-But for some reason the story and characters absolutely don't interest me at all. The headmaster annoys me, Maka's dad is not funny, Soul Eater is also boring, Maka could be interesting but I wouldn't know... If this was done by an average anime company I'd have stopped watching halfway.

This is it guys, I need my brain checked, normally I enjoy this sort of thing and eat at least 50% of whatever Bones throws at me... especially if it's shounen fare and has loads of lovely animators! orz
Anyway I heard the story picks up by around episode 4 so maybe I'll hang on until then. I want to like this!
Maybe watching all this stuff in crappy streaming quality doesn't help either.
Old 2008-04-08, 05:57   Link #346
duckroll
綺羅星★!

It the story doesn't "pick up" around ep4. That's when the story -starts-. :-)

Ep1-3 are simply prologue eps that introduce the 3 leads and their weapons.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 06:53   Link #347
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yeah episodes 1-3 will be based on the 3 one shots/short stories which were popular enough that he combined them into one series. Episode 4 is the proper start, I was wondering if Bones was going to skip these 3 prologue episodes and go straight into Chapter 1: Extra Lessons but they decided to go with the prologues first. If anyone is put off by the soul collecting aspect don't be since that gets dropped real quick.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 07:03   Link #348
solomon

Oh yea, like westlo says. The show isn't all each week a new soul, theyve already set up a very important plot point for later (much eariler then in the manga) and a REAL powerful baddie shows up real quickly (the kind you have to wait at least 7 books for in a regular shonen to see). So while it isn't very different in content, it is quick and to the point, which is nice.

I finnally saw the first episode. Not much to add to what everyone else said in terms of visuals.

As for acoustics; I now love Resonance, even though I prolly shouldnt. I like I Wanna Be now, even though the song really isn't that great (but hey I love What's up people from Maximum the Hormone and I HATE metal so go fig).

I like the casting choice for maka, and even though she doesn't sound "TERRIBLE" to these ears, she does lack that more accentuated feel to the acting that typifies anime seiyuu acting, so in comparison, yea she sounds "flat". (I don't think we need to have whole boards devoted to it though).

Everyone else was fine, two big surprises were Toru Ohkawa and Rikiya Koyama, I know them mainly for thier serious play it straight roles, but they got the comedy perfectly. Koyama especially, he sounds just like I imagined Shinigama-sama would sound like, but I seriously wouldn't have recongnized the voice as Koyama. (on it's own)

Anyways, this is great early week junk food, bring on some more!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 08:05   Link #349
wao
OK.

OK, excellent. You guys have me more interested, I guess I'll hold out till episode 5 at least. Thanks. I just hope I have more damn luck in watching the show, when there's such good animation it's a real bummer when I see a laggy muddy-looking encode. (Or, for the 20492409th time, I should just make myself learn to use Other Means)
Old 2008-04-08, 08:08   Link #350
arkxkra
全力全開

erm, overall are ok, the style was special, story look interesting, but dun like the voice
Old 2008-04-08, 09:32   Link #351
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

FINALLY saw the episode.

It was WOW.

Animation and music were so fantastic for words *_*

As for the voices, I was shocked on Soul's voice on the trailer because it was incredibly deep, but now that I get to watch it, it actually suits him xD And his VA is good Maka's was okay . . . though I agree she did lack emotion in some parts, but she was okay. Death Scythe's VA did good comedy . . . as for Shinigami-sama . . totally didn't expect that kind of voice for him O_O

Looking forward to Black Star's episode But I'm more excited for Kid's!!! Favorite seiyuu + favorite character is a lovely combination xD Episode 3's gonna kick ass!!!

What is taking April 21 so long???? Wahehehehehhe xD (yes, I am THAT excited =3)
Old 2008-04-08, 09:41   Link #352
Westlo
Lets be reality

I can't wait to see Death The Kidd in action, Mamoru Miyano should do an awesome job voicing him
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 10:05   Link #353
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Shinigamisama's voice was really totally unexpected.. i thought it should be funky crazy.. but not that funky crazy XD

Blair is .. delicious as expected XD

Soul's VA fits him .. Maaka's on the other hand, sound like some primary school kids reading textbook

Overall enjoyed the fighting scene.. and eagerly awaits uncut version XD!
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 10:11   Link #354
Rembr

Lol @ the VAs.

The girl's voice is cute and unique, but she's gonna need to seriously work at it.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 10:11   Link #355
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Blair's VA!!! Yes, she is soooo great xD I love it when she switches from flirty to happy to evil voice xD
Old 2008-04-08, 10:17   Link #356
Medousa
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Medousa
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Shinigamisama's voice was really totally unexpected.. i thought it should be funky crazy.. but not that funky crazy XD
Well, it fit him. XD

And yes, Blair is cute. >w< The first time I saw her in the manga, I didn't really like her, but now, I think she's cute. (Pump~Pumpukin~Pumpukin~.xD) Her VA's great.
Old 2008-04-08, 11:08   Link #357
Iron Maw
Banned

Hmm... Does anyone know how well the show has been received among Japanese fans? I'm rather worried that Maka's not so great VA could effect the show in the long-run.

I really do hope she will improve soon, as I like the style of her voice.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 11:11   Link #358
deffusse
otaku[SK]

Maka sounds like someone, who has been caught on the street, some freak amater who has been told by someone >> "lets dub our new show as Maka"
but on the other hand, after watching this ep. 1, I realy mean >> it suits her a lot

btw, the show is realy good, still missing some plot causality.... but it's allready on my watchlist
deffusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 11:23   Link #359
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Hmm... Does anyone know how well the show has been received among Japanese fans? I'm rather worried that Maka's not so great VA could effect the show in the long-run.

I really do hope she will improve soon, as I like the style of her voice.
Nico comments indicate disbelief at Maka's VA's incompetence, satisfaction with the animation, and so-so on the storyline.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 11:34   Link #360
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Ok so....1st episode was interesting.
Shinigami Sama is a total pimp i must admit.
and cat witch blair......HAWT
\

btw i dont get the deal with the "special episodes" are they like more fan-servicey....or whut?

btw I also hope this doesn't turn into another fan-service show
MercFH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, death the kid, shounen, soul eater