AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-15, 03:09   Link #261
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
Damn it you guys. STOP posting all the animated gifs!! I'm reading this thread right now through an old computer and you LITERALLY killing my computer's responsiveness with cuteness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Oh man, i'm using cheap modem with incredibly low speed access and all these gifs totally kills my connection T_T

Guess i should just stay away for now
I put the animated GIFs from the last two pages in images tags (so they won't load by default). Going forward, I'd like to ask all avatar/gif-makers to please do the same.
Old 2013-04-15, 03:35   Link #262
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I completely understand bro; you just want her for her body.
How rude! I like everything about her! ... I mean ... I don't!
Old 2013-04-15, 03:44   Link #263
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
How rude! I like everything about her! ... I mean ... I don't!
What, you want all of her precious as well? Thats kinda bold... but I'll leave it as that.

*walks off with the wrong impression*
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 04:42   Link #264
larethian

errh.... if there's anything to talk about, discuss the characters or episode proper. the excessive shipping and waifu posts just make it harder for a series to get a subforum......

Last edited by larethian; 2013-04-15 at 05:23. Reason: added 'excessive'
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 04:48   Link #265
novalysis

I am not really that convinced that our MC has PR skills initially, to be honest. Perhaps it's the lack of confidence that undermines that informed trait. Perhaps, it's also because the character design reminds me of a certain trap from Minami-ke.

Now, if the MC was designed in a more Shojou protagonist manner, I think, ironically, his pre-curse self would be more credible. And I think this anime would be even better regarded - cliche Shojou protagonist loses his inhibitions to a enchanted cat statue, and ends up behaving like a particular variant of a Harem protagonist, rather than a Beta herbivore who screams Harem protagonist in mannerism and deed from the get-go.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 05:15   Link #266
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

*dons glasses*
I'm guessing it's something resulting from translation issues. While 'PR skills' can be attributed as 'tatemae', it's not strictly that. The 'tatemae' and 'honne' concept can be simplified as "the mask(tatemae) and the real face(honne) behind it'. In a cruder way, it's about 'lies' and 'honesty'.

Yokodera seemed to burst out lies and excuses almost instinctively to avoid problems and it worked, brilliantly . What I initially found unconvincing though, was why he thought he needed to get rid of this 'tatemae' in order to get closer to girls. I mean, RL pimps strive on their 'tatemae' to score in a partner, among other tools in their disposal.

Though, I can guess the reason being however impure his thoughts are, Yokodera still wants any relationship he has to be a pure one. Purely perverted relationship with consent from both parties
Old 2013-04-15, 05:18   Link #267
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I am not really that convinced that our MC has PR skills initially, to be honest. Perhaps it's the lack of confidence that undermines that informed trait. Perhaps, it's also because the character design reminds me of a certain trap from Minami-ke.

Now, if the MC was designed in a more Shojou protagonist manner, I think, ironically, his pre-curse self would be more credible. And I think this anime would be even better regarded - cliche Shojou protagonist loses his inhibitions to a enchanted cat statue, and ends up behaving like a particular variant of a Harem protagonist, rather than a Beta herbivore who screams Harem protagonist in mannerism and deed from the get-go.
First, what do you mean by "convinced" and "PR" skills? I'm guessing "PR" was a word chosen by certain translators for "Tatemae" (was CR using this?). I personally think that it is an acceptable translation but still might be misinterpreted (though I would believe that the context should drastically lessen the chance of that happening).

'Tatemae', where one does not speak his true voice/thoughts, is pretty much a characteristic trait of Japanese and in fact a valued etiquette. Which means practically all Japanese practice it, to one degree or another. Surprisingly,I found that there is actually an English wiki article on it after looking it up in ja wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honne_and_tatemae. So how is it hard to believe that he doesn't have PR skills (Tatemae)?

Though this episode merely illustrates the MC unable to decline becoming the successor to the T&F team's captainship (maybe the steel bar has some effect too of course ), I would presume the LN might have other anecdotes or monologue on how Tatemae is causing him problems in his life to give a better picture.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
*dons glasses*
I'm guessing it's something resulting from translation issues. While 'PR skills' can be attributed as 'tatemae', it's not strictly that. The 'tatemae' and 'honne' concept can be simplified as "the mask(tatemae) and the real face(honne) behind it'. In a cruder way, it's about 'lies' and 'honesty'.

Yokodera seemed to burst out lies and excuses almost instinctively to avoid problems and it worked, brilliantly . What I initially found unconvincing though, was why he thought he needed to get rid of this 'tatemae' in order to get closer to girls. I mean, RL pimps strive on their 'tatemae' to score in a partner, among other tools in their disposal.

Though, I can guess the reason being however impure his thoughts are, Yokodera still wants any relationship he has to be a pure one. Purely perverted relationship with consent from both parties
I wonder about this too, but I'm guessing that some critical info has been cut out from the novel......
Old 2013-04-15, 05:23   Link #268
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It feels very disjointed though- isn't there a better way to translate it?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 07:00   Link #269
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Is "honne" = true face/feelings/emotions and "tatemae" = facade a decent translation for the two terms?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 07:51   Link #270
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

<--- This girl is only mine. Anyone else is just a faker.

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 08:33   Link #271
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Images
Surprisingly good Wallpaper
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
How do you make gifs anyway? Is there a nice little software I can use?
well it's kinda complicated to learn after that you get used to it and become easy

i dont think there is small and easy software to make gif

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 10:42   Link #272
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
every named character in this anime is cute. even the MC
Funny enough, the MC could pass for a trap with a little tweaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I like the track captain well enough in concept, but I'd like to see a bit more depth beyond just the "Army Drill Sergeant" exterior at the moment. I think we saw a little glimpse of it, but still not much yet. If she has the personality I'm expecting beneath the surface, I think I'll like her too.
Well you can say the same about pretty much every character so far, but I am indeed looking to how they will all fleshed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Koutetsu no Ou is one of my main reasons to watch this

She is going to be absolutely hilarious. I only say MIT. No, don't ask if you don't know the connection already, it would be a spoiler.

She's already damn hilarious.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 10:54   Link #273
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Is "honne" = true face/feelings/emotions and "tatemae" = facade a decent translation for the two terms?
For honne, I would say yes. 'Honne' essentially = speaking your mind
For tatemae, it would depend, for certain context and situations, it might be appropriate when there's some overlap, I guess......

(Note that, if I end my reply with just the above, it will be a sort of tatemae )

My opinion and undertsanding (not to be quoted as truth ):
However, on the whole, in this particular context of the show, if I had to choose between the two, I am of the opinion that 'PR 'would be the closer translation than 'facade'.

From my understanding, a 'facade' is more like putting up an act, a front, to deceive, to pretend, to conceal, to be superficial, to be hypocritical. There can be many reasons and purposes for a person to put on a facade, but to put on a 'tatemae' would imply that the person has the intention to be polite, to not hurt the feelings of the other party, to preserve harmony, to not oppose, to follow the crowd/majority. Of course, one can put on a 'facade' for similar reasons, but the scope is less restrictive than 'tatemae', and I also get the impression that a 'facade' is more of persistent behavioral pattern and specific to an individual, but 'tatemae' is more situational and societal-based and usually with respect to verbal communication.

Spoilers
Spoiler for example with reference to OreShura

Incidentally, I just went to look up the origin of tatemae (建前). It's quite interesting but a pain to translate and put into English

However, fortunately, there are also a surprisingly large number of articles in English that explains tatemae:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/communit.../#.UWwg5aIwre8
http://www.kirainet.com/english/honne-and-tatemae/
http://www.mynippon.com/RomanceNews0201/story12.htm
http://wlconline.drake.edu/japanese/...honne-tatemae/

I'm no expert in linguistics, so read them yourself and judge which is a 'better' English word for 'tatemae' yourself.
In short, I think 'facade' can work as well, but the intention behind putting on the facade will be lost in translation compared to 'PR'.
Old 2013-04-15, 11:02   Link #274
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
So, I can't be the only one who likes the track captain.

...right guys?
To be frank, I'm one of those on the bandwagon as well. I just hope there's more to her than the demeanour that led to her famed moniker of "Kotetsu no Ou".
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 11:11   Link #275
User68604
Disabled By Request

hnngh these girls are drawn so moe
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 12:29   Link #276
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Funny enough, the MC could pass for a trap with a little tweaking.
I sense foreshadowing....
Old 2013-04-15, 13:36   Link #277
Megacrash Gr
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
Yea this episode is pure win. All those characters are awesome. I say MC is very lucky before he made that wish
Old 2013-04-15, 13:49   Link #278
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Images

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 14:31   Link #279
chaos_animagic

Just watched ep 1

I Laughed at:

Images
Your choice? LOL

"Hentai Ouji" should be promoted to "Hentai Ou" after being down a certain Blond Flat Chested Loli Princess, LOL
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 15:42   Link #280
CptChaos

That was cuteness overload. I'm kinda tired of Kaji's voice, YuiKaori sure is a plus. Pretty unusual performance by Yukarin here. If only they'd add Hocchan as well to complete the double duo.
CptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, harem, romantic comedy, seinen, supernatural, tsundere