AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-01-04, 07:50   Link #1
PinkHat

Animes with Enviable Female Characters?

Hi all, I am new to this board - I stumbled upon it while searching for anime suggestions. I still haven't found what I'm looking for so maybe someone here can help

I've always loved all Studio Ghibli films but I haven't watched a ton of anime series. I think Death Note was my first actual series. One Piece is my favorite and I've been caught up for a few years now. I just started watching Fairy Tail and am loving it so far; I got my boyfriend into those as well as Fullmetal Alchemist so I don't watch them without him.

What I'm looking for is the type of anime I prefer to watch alone, which I haven't found a lot of. The first one I remember watching was Suzuka a couple years ago, and more recently Fruits Basket. I really liked both of those, especially Suzuka. I started watching Ouran Ouran High School Host Club but I haven't been able to get into that one as much as the others.. Anyway what I'm specifically looking for is an Anime which has a female main character or supporting character that I would want to look up to, who is near-perfect, has a great personality, good looks, etc. that all the male characters are drawn to.

Thanks in advance!
PinkHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 08:24   Link #2
Arya

mmm, first thing that comes in mind is Cross Game, like Suzuka is a sport anime ... and it is not
Another anime that I'd suggest is Crest of Star Saga, it's old but has a nice and strong female character.
My suggestion will end with two recent anime, Kokoro Connect and Tari Tari. In both series you could find some nice female characters. One in Kokoro Connect, and two, if not three in Tari Tari.
Oh, I add Nana to the list.
I just tried to give you a different kind of characters, so probably not all of them will fit your tastes, but they are all worth watching

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 08:26   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Homura Akemi from Puella Magi Madoka Magica (the first three episodes seems lighthearted but things get serious after that) and Akane Tsunemori from the currently airing Psycho-Pass are characters that you're looking for.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 08:45   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Frankly, there’s a lot of “perfect girl” characters in anime, but I think many of them really have no prominent roles or just badly used.

Anyway, if you’re not limiting the category into just school-life setting, here’s my addition of anime with inspiring girls (I attach the genre beside the titles):

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (romance, comedy, drama)
Zetsuen no Tempest (fantasy, drama, mystery)
Kokoro Connect (drama, slice-of-life)
Amagami SS (romance)
I"s (romance, drama)
Kare Kano (romance, drama)
Shinsekai Yori (fantasy, mystery, drama)
Fate/Stay Night (fantasy, action)
Girls und Panzer (slice-of-life, action)
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (also known as Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal) (drama, romance, action)
Dance in the Vampire Bund (fantasy, action)
Kimagure Orange Road (romance, comedy)
Spice and Wolf (fantasy, romance, economy-trading)
Gosick (mystery, romance).

I can keep going, but I think I’ll stop here for now. Read some synopsis before watching those titles just to give you a better idea of the shows. Mind you that some of them are still on-going.
Old 2013-01-04, 11:00   Link #5
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Chihayafuru: Chihaya's nickname around school is "the beauty in vein" because she has really good looks (her sister is a model afterall) but she has a real tomboy personality so she doesn't really care about her looks,but that doesn't bother every guy

Cross Game:Aoba is the most popular girl in school and every guy wants to go out with her (she's also likely the greatest female pitcher of her generation, due to talent but also how hard she works),she might be the only one who doesn't realize how great a girl she really is.

Kemono no Souja Erin: Erin is very similar to a "ghibli heroine" she's a good hard working girl,the anime is quite long so while she starts out as a 8 year old (he mom is a great mother figure as well) you'll watch her grow up over the years.Not much romance but a whole lot of people look up to her.
Old 2013-01-04, 11:01   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The best candidate in my mind is Balsa from Moribito. She is a thirty-year-old spear-wielding bodyguard who is tasked with protecting a young prince from assassination. Balsa is one of the finest women in anime with a strong moral character and an elaborate back story.

A younger contender is Erin, of Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, based on another novel by the author of the Moribito series. Erin wishes to follow her mother and become a veterinarian to mystical beasts. Later she discovers she possesses an unusual ability to communicate with them and becomes embroiled in the center of a political struggle. We see Erin develop from about age eight to eighteen. (I can't link to the fansubs for Erin because it is licensed, but they have a superior translation to Crunchyroll's efforts and are worth searching for.)

Another strong teen-aged female is Shion, the heroine of Shion no Ou. She witnesses her parents' brutal murder at age four and becomes mute in response. We pick up her story at age thirteen when she is contending to become a professional Shougi ("Japanese chess") player like her adoptive father. I found Shion's rise through the ranks of Shougi players more interesting than the solving of the murder mystery which runs in parallel to her story.

I'll also recommend Nina Fortner, the main female character in Monster. Though Nina gets less screen time than the main lead, Dr. Tenma, she is a brave and intelligent young woman and definitely worthy of admiration.

Another excellent choice would be Kou Shurrei who is the star of Saiunkoku Monogatari. Shurrei desires to become the first female official of her country (modelled on T'ang China). The problem you'll face is finding a copy to watch. It went out-of-print a couple years back and only torrents remain. They are a bit hard to find, though.

Finally I'll suggest Nakajima Youko of Junni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms" in English). At the outset Youko is a timid high-school girl who is suddenly whisked off to the world of the Kingdoms where she discovers her true identity and role in life. Her growth as a character is unmatched in anime that I've seen. By the end she is truly an inspiring character, as are the young ladies who join her.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 11:26   Link #7
PinkHat

Wow! Lot's of great responses, this gives me a lot to look for By your descriptions I am most intrigued by Kemono no Souja Erin, Cross Game and Chihayafuru - I will have to read more about the others! Thank you all for the quick replies!
Old 2013-01-04, 13:38   Link #8
kitten320

Does the genre matter? If no I'll list what I know:

From ongoing series you could try Magi which are fantasy action series. Morgiana is a great character who starts as slave but then gains freedom and does everything in her power to help. From side characters Ren Hakuei caught my attention. She is a strong and rightful as well as fearless leader of a country who will do everything in her power to keep peace.

Angel Beats! - character Kanade really caught my attention. At first she is a mystery but later we start to learn more about her. Series are comedy/drama set at school setting.

Chihaya from Chihayafuru is a good choice. She is a teenager who spent most of her childhood admiring her model sister. One day she finally discovers something she becomes very passionate about aka Karuta. Since that moment she does everything in order to promote Karuta and become better at it. She does not plan to give up easily.

Ga-Rei: Zero - something more dramatic and action orientated. Yomi is an excellent character, probably the most memorable of the series. To be honest, if not her I would not like the series as much I did. She is strong, beautiful and carrying but sadly life decided to be nasty to her... You might get disappointed with her at some point but in the end you still will admire her and feel sorry.
Series show future events first and then go into flashback to show how we got where we are.
A bit more gory series.

If it's fine, in this case I would like to recommend manga... Series are called Love Hina. Anime is not bad but it misses lots of material and does not develop the character properly. The one I'm talking about is Motoko who is kendo student and hates males. She also is not very feminine. But she is strong and determined. Out of all anime/manga I've seen her character probably develops the most and you can't not like her. For me she used to be a real model because of how much her tomboyish character reminded me of myself. If you compare her at the start and the end of the manga, it is almost like a different person yet she still seems the same. It is really hard to describe.

Homura from Madoka does deserve admiration too. She seems cold at first but once you learn her back story you just can't not like her at least sympathize. She went through a lot and I would love to have a friend like her.

Mmmmm, duno if it will work but maybe The iDOLM@STER? Series are lighthearted and mostly episodic but it has one very memorable arc and character. The girl seems distant and cold and at first make you dislike her. Gradually you start to learn more about her and the problem and when it finally comes to conclusion you can't help but be happy for her and admire her.
I lost count how many people said that they cried at episode 20. I defiantly had several goosebumps. Episode 21 is a nice follow up and conclusion to her story that strengthens admiration factor.

Hope some of them will work for you.
Old 2013-01-04, 21:10   Link #9
Dawnstorm

I think you might like this one:

Mouretsu Uchuu Kaizoku: Kato Marika finds herself inheriting a space-pirate license from her father (whom she's never met). If she doesn't take the job as captain of the Bentenmaru the crew will be out of their jobs. Can she juggle school and pirating? A fun adventure show with a great female lead (and other good female characters, too).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 23:49   Link #10
Darthtabby

Two of my favorite characters might fit the bill.

Macross Frontier has a superstar singer named Sheryl Nome among its main characters. She can seem like a bit of a stuck up prima donna early on due to her treatment of a host whom she doesn't feel is taking her concerns about one of her concerts seriously, but ultimately proves to be a compassionate character with incredible drive and determination.

Mai-HiME stars Mai Tokiha, a first year high school student attending a prestigious private academy on scholarship along with her sickly little brother. She's a lot more ordinary than Sheryl in many respects (if you discount her being granted magical powers and being forced to fight alien monsters and all that jazz) but like Sheryl she's both incredibly strong and incredibly human.

I should probably warn you that both characters get put through hell during the later parts of their respective series though. I don't refer to them as strong for no reason.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 10:46   Link #11
kitten320

Mai HiME has lots of female characters, huge variety in characters as well so it could be a good try
I personally find Natsuki quiet admirable.
Old 2013-01-07, 01:51   Link #12
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

You may try Ah! My Goddess! that has several cool female characters. Belldandy, the female lead, is your conventional "ideal girl", but if you want something less ideal and more fun, there is always Urd, Bell's big sis.

Mai-HiME features many great female characters.

I made this (short) list a few years ago, it contains my favourite anime ladies. You may find some series fit for your taste there as well.
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 09:47   Link #13
PinkHat

I've decided that Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail is my ultimate role model x.x She is so awesome and reminds me of myself.. I need more like her!

I started watching Chihayafuru so far, on like episode 6 or so

Ouran Ouran is starting to get a little better lol

I will definitely check out Mai-HiMe next!
Old 2013-01-10, 10:21   Link #14
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHat View Post
I've decided that Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail is my ultimate role model x.x She is so awesome and reminds me of myself.. I need more like her!

I started watching Chihayafuru so far, on like episode 6 or so

Ouran Ouran is starting to get a little better lol

I will definitely check out Mai-HiMe next!
Just dont be the dumb scenes of her like the fanservice form xD except for your boy.
Old 2013-01-10, 10:53   Link #15
PinkHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Just dont be the dumb scenes of her like the fanservice form xD except for your boy.
I can do without those bits, but what can ya do right
Old 2013-01-10, 12:25   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Having just rewatched most of Kamisama Hajimemashita with my daughter, I'll toss in a suggestion for Momozono Nanami, the heroine of that show. She's a spunky high-school girl who becomes homeless. When a strange man meets her and kisses her on the forehead, she is transformed into the "land god" of a run-down shrine where she meets two childlike will-o'-the-wisps and a fox youkai who becomes her familiar.

SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 15:11   Link #17
PinkHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Having just rewatched most of Kamisama Hajimemashita with my daughter, I'll toss in a suggestion for Momozono Nanami, the heroine of that show. She's a spunky high-school girl who becomes homeless. When a strange man meets her and kisses her on the forehead, she is transformed into the "land god" of a run-down shrine where she meets two childlike will-o'-the-wisps and a fox youkai who becomes her familiar.

Thanks for the link! I just watched the first episode it was quite good
Old 2013-01-11, 01:33   Link #18
Darthtabby

Since fan service came up, I should maybe warn you that Mai-HiME has some, although its generally not too bad if you discount the notorious (but hilarious) fourth episode. (And the info/character shorts that accompany the DVD version of each episode, but those can easily be skipped -heck, I'd recommend skipping them the first time through anyway because they seem to have been made with people who have seen the series before in mind.)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 08:50   Link #19
PinkHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHat View Post
Thanks for the link! I just watched the first episode it was quite good
Addicted to this show now, on episode 9 but I like Tomoe the best lol
Old 2013-01-14, 13:52   Link #20
Eragon
Still Alive

This is like way out there...........................

Blood+................................ yeah it's out there but, try watching a few eps and see if you can get into it.