AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-25, 13:06   Link #61
Munty192
Life is a Game...

without a doubt all the SH will learn some form of haki......we need to remember haki isn't some ultimate power and from what i see apparently most high powered individual knows some form of it, so yes the entire strawhat crew will learn SOME form of haki
Old 2010-08-25, 13:40   Link #62
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Spoiler really spoiled my day (4w?). But, that might mean, 2 years can pass within a month (hopefully), which I can say a good thing, since the expectations have already been set.
Old 2010-08-25, 13:48   Link #63
John D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
[...]but most likely the Okamas know about it too and can teach Sanji ..
Considering that Sanji has rough days ahead, I wouldn't be suprised if his two years of running from lush okama and his battles with the 99 Okama Kenpo masters would awaken his Haki (his ambition to stay a man amongst men!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
as for Zoro - [...]utilising that breath of all things shtick may be better - Zoro already knows some of it and appearantly it might be superior to 'armor Haki'[...]
Zoro's breath of all things I-can-predict--where-all-the-rocks-are-going-to-fall is suspiciously similar to Observation Haki though, and I personally see it as foreshadowing for his aptitude for that particular genre of Haki (Rayleigh did say that people excel in one Haki aspect).
Old 2010-08-25, 14:01   Link #64
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Well it should not come to a shock for the SH since they still got the news but when see OP again i expect just 2 or 3 chapters showing us what happen to the OP world

Well, maybe most of the crew will read the news every once in a blue moon, but I pretty much expect them to ignore the happenings of the world for the most part while they focus on their training. I'm at least confident that Luffy will be in the dark about the events that will transpire during this time, as he barely reads the papers in the first place.

BTW, I know before that I said that Buggy might become a Shichibukai, but I'm still kinda hoping that he'll reject the position so he'll get a nice beefy bounty on his head. I also can't wait to see Moria in two years, as well (maybe he'll lose a little weight by that time so he'll actually have a chin again ).....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
I knew about this from the old thread, but is there any explanation for why this is?

This is retarded.

Why? The guy's been busting his ass for a long time now (ESPECIALLY during the last few years, since he also had to juggle movie 10 into his schedule). The guy also has a family to take care of, so I say that he's earned this break. Besides, as someone else in this thread said already, this is a good way to build up suspense for the upcoming skip......

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
One Piece is turning into Naruto

God, why do people always think of Naruto when it comes to timeskips?! Do people literally consider that series to be the chief representative of how timeskips should be handled?! I could easily name much superior examples of manga that used timeskips to greater effect, such as Dragonball, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Berserk. Naruto's skip doesn't work because Kishimoto pretty much rushed the main characters' growth (and almost completely ignores the secondary characters while doing so). Oda doesn't do that, so I'm very much confident that he'll make much better use of a timeskip than Kishi can.
Old 2010-08-25, 14:27   Link #65
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Why? The guy's been busting his ass for a long time now (ESPECIALLY during the last few years, since he also had to juggle movie 10 into his schedule). The guy also has a family to take care of, so I say that he's earned this break. Besides, as someone else in this thread said already, this is a good way to build up suspense for the upcoming skip......
More than that, this is a great way to really flesh out (with his editor) what Oda wants to do with the series.

Quote:
God, why do people always think of Naruto when it comes to timeskips?! Do people literally consider that series to be the chief representative of how timeskips should be handled?! I could easily name much superior examples of manga that used timeskips to greater effect, such as Dragonball, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Berserk. Naruto's skip doesn't work because Kishimoto pretty much rushed the main characters' growth (and almost completely ignores the secondary characters while doing so). Oda doesn't do that, so I'm very much confident that he'll make much better use of a timeskip than Kishi can.
Naruto's time skip was great because it allowed the main characters to grow without needing to worry about the antagonists (etc). Specifically, the main antagonists could only enact their plans after a certain time limit, during which the main characters could all train. Oda, though, doesn't do this, instead allowing the other characters, all of which have a head start on Luffy and the Strawhats, to create an even further gap between the groups.

Dragonball and Berserk follow a similar pattern - while skipping through time, nothing of importance happens.

That being said, JoJo simply changes characters instead of actually having a time skip for the actual characters.
Old 2010-08-25, 14:43   Link #66
Rurik
Golden

^I agree, Naruto timeskip was good, while I don think that the title character got the short end of the stick.

Quote:

And a one month break will mean the author is going to come out fresh with solid and interesting stories, Oda always delivers a good reading for the manga followers. So, a One month break here, is a positive thing for the story and doing this break on the eve of a mayor timeskip is understandable, Im just happy this isn’t Berserk or HxH mangakas.
Old 2010-08-25, 15:06   Link #67
Gin
*Artist

Quote:

BTW, I know before that I said that Buggy might become a Shichibukai, but I'm still kinda hoping that he'll reject the position so he'll get a nice beefy bounty on his head.
of course Buggy will turn down the invitation, the Great Captain Buggy would never become a government dog.

Quote:
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but Oda could also use this time to help write the filler arc that OP has been putting off for awhile.
Old 2010-08-25, 15:54   Link #68
james0246

^Do you mean anime or manga filler arc? Kind of a strange question (how can the author's work be filler?), but I have been hoping for a straight adventure arc sometime soon that has nothing to do with the overall story (similar to Skypiea, which, while providing some important info, was ultimately an arc that had little bearing on the One Piece world), so it constitutes a form of filler inbetween the story arcs...
Old 2010-08-25, 16:01   Link #69
Gin
*Artist

Anime, they've been stalling for a long time and dragging out what they can, but eventually it will have to go to filler... I guess it would be what T-dubs calls 'anime canon'
Old 2010-08-25, 16:21   Link #70
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

So, the 3D2Y theory was correct after all...

I was surprised at Zoro's decision, but I definitely like the idea of him and Mihawk becoming sort of friends (like Shanks and Mihawk's relationship).

Luffy is actually capable of using all three types of Haki, the armor one he uses consciously by attacking and I guess he'll use HH and Mantra (I like this name better instinctively when he needs them most (just like he dodged stuff until now and made those people and dogs in Amazon Lily and Impel Down faint).
Old 2010-08-25, 16:23   Link #71
Kallen4life

he hasn't actually used armor-one so far to my knowledge

but I'm sure he'll use all three .. armor-one will be essential vs Akainu
Old 2010-08-25, 16:26   Link #72
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I am, by far, most interested in what Usopp will look like in two years.
Old 2010-08-25, 17:04   Link #73
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Naruto's time skip was great because it allowed the main characters to grow without needing to worry about the antagonists (etc). Specifically, the main antagonists could only enact their plans after a certain time limit, during which the main characters could all train. Oda, though, doesn't do this, instead allowing the other characters, all of which have a head start on Luffy and the Strawhats, to create an even further gap between the groups.

I think my biggest problem with Naruto's skip (aside from the aforementioned rushed character growth) is that Kishimoto didn't really use that time to further develop that series' world. As I already mentioned before, Oda's clearly setting things up so that it will be like the Straw-Hats will have a brand new world to explore post-timeskip, which would bring back that element of surprise that was present when Luffy and co. first arrived in the Grand Line. I can't help but think how much more interesting it would have been if Kishi had introduced us to more of the Jinchuuriki in part 1 (y'know, instead of just Gaara), maybe a couple of the Kages (definitely Raikage at least), and we got to explore their homelands/cultures a bit. Instead, he pretty much rushed straight to "Let's take down Akatsuki/Rescue Sasuke!" right from the get-go. True, the more recent chapters have shown us a bit more of the world (like that place with the Chakra-using samurai, and we even got to learn a bit of Kumogakure's history), but I feel that this is just too little, too late (especially since it seems the series will reach its endgame within the next year or two)......

And apart from the sloppy world-building, the story focuses almost exclusively on the Team 7 characters while the rest of the cast are pushed aside for the most part. Then when we DO get those rare few instances of secondary characters getting development, they either get killed off (Asuma, Jiraiya), or pretty much pushed back to the sidelines after having their brief moment in the spotlight (Shikamaru, Hinata). Meanwhile, Naruto gets a short training session with frogs and he's suddenly able to take on the most powerful bad guys in the world? Puh-leaze. Of course, Sasuke's level of BS far exceeds that of Naruto's, but the less that's said about him, the better, methinks.....

So tl;dr: I think Naruto would've been a lot better if it had more story, less fightey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Dragonball and Berserk follow a similar pattern - while skipping through time, nothing of importance happens.

That being said, JoJo simply changes characters instead of actually having a time skip for the actual characters.

My main point about those timeskips is that none of them rushed the story like Naruto did. I mean heck, even in DB we saw Toriyama develop his characters a bit post-skip (like seeing Gohan go to high school, becoming a superhero, dating Videl, etc.). I just think little things like that gives a story a little more flavor, y'know?

As for Jojo, while it's true that the story skips ahead by generations, it's not like all characters are abandoned. Hell, Jotaro appears in all parts 3-6 (though it's true that part 3 is obviously his most prominent role). Hell, all of the storylines in the series (save maybe Steel Ball Run) are even connected to each other, though it's true that some of them are more loosely connected than others (particularly parts 4 and 5), with their key link between them being Dio Brando and his exploits. So yes, I still say that Jojo is a particularly good example of timeskips being handled well.....

Anyway, to go back on topic, I've been thinking about Zoro's situation, and..... well, as strange as it is that he'll be training under Mihawk, I think I can see a way for Oda to preserve Zoro's ambition without belittling Mihawk's character: Oda will simply build him up to be the Boss to Zoro's Big Boss.
Old 2010-08-25, 17:19   Link #74
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:

So tl;dr: I think Naruto would've been a lot better if it had more story, less fightey.
That is exactly why I stopped watching Naruto (I never even started reading it). The increasing number of fights, the decreasing number of funny scenes (I like a bit of humor in everything) and the lame story (don't know if it has improved since NS 100 or so) just made me lose interest and think "WTF am I watching?".

The same with Bleach.

But what I realized I like most about One Piece is that the main and side characters are truly free - and they aspire to freedom. They don't work for some government, they don't have a boss telling them what they must or should do, they do everything for themselves and enjoy it!
Old 2010-08-25, 17:33   Link #75
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Regarding Zoro. Zoro's ambition is to become the world's greatest Swordsman, not defeat Mihawk. Mihawk was simply Zorro's goal since he currently holds the title. Training under mihawk doesn't mean abandoning his dream, as the relationship changes to one where he is a disciple trying to one day overcome his master, the world's greatest swordsman. I guess this is a subjective interpretation, as I do not take throwing away his pride, as the same as abandoning one's dream.

If you really think about it, it is not so strange that Zorro did this. Zorro walked into his original dojo to try to defeat the Dojo's master. When he lost to Kuina, he decided to train there.

Quote:
God, why do people always think of Naruto when it comes to timeskips?! Do people literally consider that series to be the chief representative of how timeskips should be handled?!
As for the two year time skip, the only reason I think it compares so much to Naruto, is that it is a 2 year training arc, the exact length Naruto's training arc was. I do agree it is being done differently, however my objections is that these type of time-skips actually often change the very feel of the story. Dragon Ball v.s. DBZ are fundamentally different. One of the actual series I think a time skip was handled reasonably well was Gurren Lagann, however this changed the pacing of the series.

I think that this time skip is going to be used as an excuse to speed up the series, and I'm worried it won't be enough to flesh out the details. There are a lot of things taht have been left out in the open. What is the Will of D, Ancient Weapons, Void Century, Vegapunk, Fishman Island, Black Beard.
Old 2010-08-25, 18:36   Link #76
Blackbeard D. Kuma

2 years is ample time for the strawhats to get stronger, because right now they're far from ready for entering the New World. In order for them to contend with the big players, that's a reasonable amount of time to train. Good decision by Oda, I feel .
Old 2010-08-25, 19:11   Link #77
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Time skipp woot can't wait to see Franky, and Robin after , I'm kinda disappointed in/at Zoro didn't expect him to ask MiHawk for help -_- I'd expect him to find his own way
Old 2010-08-25, 19:18   Link #78
zaner

So anyone See the Straw hats dealing with one of the Supernova Crews Strait out of the gates when the come back from the time skip?

I see them getting back together meeting up with law (Not fighting this time, I would be very sad if they did)

I'm still thinking the "Breath of all things" is a form of haki weather its just another name for Matra or if its a mix of Matra and Armor.

Sanji - Martal Arts, (Okama-Kempo, learning things from it more defined fighting style rather then the very kick related style now, I hope he doesn't change much persionality wise, it just wouldn't be Sanji.

Zolo
is is a dissappointment that he asked to be traied by Mihawk, but it makes sense if you can't beat them join them as they say.

Ussop I think this will be the biggest change of all the strawhats he really is the weakest of all them and other then a few smart ideas (Impact Dial to speed the ship) he is kind of bad, (No ship battles, I so want to see one happen though)

Franky Any predictions? this seems like its going to be an intresting change, not only should we get a lot more info about Veggepunk but Upgrades baby!

I see Luffy or Robin Changing the least out of all the crew members

Anyone see anything happening to the 1000 sunny?
Old 2010-08-25, 19:18   Link #79
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Monkey D Luffy won't exist for 2 years.

He's going to train on the Island until he gets a grasp of Haki, at least one of the forms of Haki. I'm sure he'll be off the island within a year to get training somewhere else. The island is full of hostile animals. This is where he'll learn to read his opponents, I suspect.

He may have to go somewhere else in order to get the armor haki since I don't see how he'll learn to hit the intangible on an island full of wild beasts. Who knows? There could be hostile ghosts, mythical creatures, or elementals on this island.

He could then go to the third site to learn about his haoushoku haki.
Why would he need to change islands? He can learn and use all three colors right there the same way Rayleigh did.

Haki's armor form can be used on anyone/anything. As long as you learn it you gain the skill to hurt a logia user.

On the chapter itself though, it was well past amazing. I can't wait to see what the Straw Hat crew'll be like after 2 years. As it was also said, can Luffy finally get a coat? All the top tier people in OP have it, he needs one too. The only painful thing is of course going to be the wait. 2 weeks are hard enough!
Old 2010-08-25, 19:19   Link #80
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Read the chapter. It was amusing to see that Mihawk actually laughed for the first time in the series. =p

Also scary Hancock is scary. But it's understandable that Rayleigh wouldn't want any of the women coming around.

That last panel looks to me like one the entire series could've ended on, which shows me that this is defiently the end of something.