AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-13, 02:39   Link #1
Lucier
Lunar Translator

Samurai 7

I just saw ANBU released a promo, so I guess it counts as fansubbed now.

I watched eps 1-2 this morning and this series is absolutely AMAZING!

Though, the inclusion of mechs and such probably made Kurosawa turn over in his grave XD...

Thus, if one tries to compare this to the original Seven Samurai, you'll be in for a disappointment...

However, if you think of it as its own series, I think you'll be in for one of the best series this year ^_^
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 02:46   Link #2
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

I didn't realize they had already aired.

I'm a little apprehensive about this (cause I liked the movie so much), so I'll try to think of it as its own thing.
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 03:30   Link #3
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I never saw the movie but I grew interested in it after watching the promo. I was excited to hear that they had 're-created' it and I was anxious to see a Rurouni Kenshin type anime. When I saw the mechs, the bomb dropped. I was like "OMFG! What the hell? Don't talk about noble samurai's and then show us freaking typical Gundam/Macross scenes!!"

I might try it out seeing as a few of the fansubs I watched have become licensed recently. What exactly was so amazing about it Lucier? You can't just say it was amazing and leave it at that

Last edited by Roots; 2004-06-18 at 21:42.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 04:53   Link #4
lamer_de

To me, it looked like a clear "Let's use 95% of our budget on cool, flashy 3D-Animations and ignore every other aspect" anime. The 2D is pretty, pretty weak in my eyes. Can't say too much about the story, as I only watched parts of it. Oh, and the opening sequence gets the "Most unrealistic scene ever" award from me :P

I'll see how it turns out, but judging from the first episode, it's just hyped imho.

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2004-06-13, 05:03   Link #5
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Just watched episode 1. The animation is indeed very well done, both CG and cell art. There's not much you can decide how good the story/plot is going to be from just one episdoe, so I shall not comment on that.

Query to Lucier: How do you watch Episode 2 when Episode 1 only got broadcasted on June 12th...?
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 06:26   Link #6
a7m4

I seriously banged my head on the wall after watching this promo.
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 06:48   Link #7
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Query to Lucier: How do you watch Episode 2 when Episode 1 only got broadcasted on June 12th...?
IIRC, it's going to be two episodes per week.... or something like that. I've seen people on other forums who also said they saw both raws.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 06:57   Link #8
stpehen
kisses for all

Samurai 7 proves once again that simply adding robots and lasers does not improve a classic tale.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 07:48   Link #9
foxdie

Saw the promo too, I think it looks great. It does look like a baku-ten stykle anime in a way that they use flashy visals combined with cell-art but if it's done like, for instance Last Exile I'm all for it.

I don't think placing a story into another timeline and replacing samurais with mechs has to have a great impact on the story as a whole. Look at the Romeo and Juliet that Baz Luhrman made a few years ago, it only improved on a rather boring tale to begin with. Classics may be classics, but not everything can stand the test of time forever

(not that I'm saying taht Kurosawa's classic as aged that dramatically, just that, THIS IS ANIME folks, it's supposed to be over the top sometimes, at least in my book). And the mechs did look great , do you really want to see a step by step anime remake of Kurosawa's classic, why not watch the original instead. No need to do that again
foxdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 08:54   Link #10
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdie
I don't think placing a story into another timeline and replacing samurais with mechs has to have a great impact on the story as a whole. Look at the Romeo and Juliet that Baz Luhrman made a few years ago, it only improved on a rather boring tale to begin with. Classics may be classics, but not everything can stand the test of time forever
I thoroughly disliked the new Romeo and Juliet and don't see how the old one was boring to begin with. I think that's one story that's stood the test of time quite well, actually.
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 09:03   Link #11
foxdie

It's all a matter of opinion I guess. I also like a good remix of a good song
Old 2004-06-13, 10:51   Link #12
Lucier
Lunar Translator

" Query to Lucier: How do you watch Episode 2 when Episode 1 only got broadcasted on June 12th...?"

In responce, though already answered... both eps aired on june 12th...
Do a bit of searching and I'm sure you can find them yourself...

I like a lot of anime... (especially one's I translate, such as ai shiteru ze baby), so maybe claming "anime of the year" was over the top...
However, after watching the first scene, I was rather stunned... in the "holy shit, this is awesome!" mode...
The two songs I totally fell in love with as well as the whole musical score...

I'll certainly agree it's not realistic at all... but if I wanted realistic, I wouldn't be watching anime at all... (or movies... or playing games... I'd probably go fishing, or something lol)

I wrote up my post right after finishing ep2, so I was totally in the mood of the anime, and even now I feel that it has a lot of potentional given then chance...
The plot may be weak... who knows... We'll see that after a few eps have aired and the story (possibly) gets moving...
(PMK's story didn't start "getting good" till near the end, so...)
It's a 26 ep series (or so I read), so I guess the best option is to "wait and see"...

Though I throughly enjoyed the first two and plan to continue watching them as they air =)

(If you wanna see what I mean by the first scene being amazing, go download the raw... their's virtually no Japanese in that scene, so anyone can follow it pretty easily...)
Old 2004-06-13, 12:19   Link #13
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier
" Query to Lucier: How do you watch Episode 2 when Episode 1 only got broadcasted on June 12th...?"

In responce, though already answered... both eps aired on june 12th...
Do a bit of searching and I'm sure you can find them yourself...
Yeah I realised that a few hours after I posted when I saw the ep2's appear on the trackers. Didn't know it was a 2-episode broadcast, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier
(If you wanna see what I mean by the first scene being amazing, go download the raw... their's virtually no Japanese in that scene, so anyone can follow it pretty easily...)
Though the first versions I got were audio-less (they wanted to give subs without sound, fast distro strat), I can certainly recommend everyone to have a look at the visuals and cinematics. It is of good quality.

The first episode is the begining of the search for the 7. There is nothing terrible here nor very good in terms of story or plot because it is just one episode. Since we cannot judge a show very well just on first showing (unless it really really blows on first episode), just give the series a chance before pre-judging that it blows.

I'll join Lucier in watching future episodes to see how it goes.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 12:27   Link #14
.Rurouni.
Anime addict

Send a message via ICQ to .Rurouni. Send a message via MSN to .Rurouni.
I'we watched both episodes now of Samurai 7 (Yes they did air 2 eps) and I like it
.Rurouni. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:11   Link #15
zepher

saw the promo....one word.

Ridiculous.
zepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:21   Link #16
.Rurouni.
Anime addict

Send a message via ICQ to .Rurouni. Send a message via MSN to .Rurouni.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepher
saw the promo....one word.

Ridiculous.
Talking about yourself?
.Rurouni. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:32   Link #17
zepher

no, talking about this anime.
lets see....giant robot samurai who fought a great war in space, and giant robot samurai bandits who steal the rice from poor farmers?

I would like to see who ok-ed this one for production.....and punch him in the face.

Akira Kurosawa is rolling in his grave >_>
zepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:43   Link #18
ubb

I hear that it's licensed by bandai? Is there such a possibility?
ubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 13:46   Link #19
Lucier
Lunar Translator

It's not licensed yet... though I can definitely see it licensed before episode 13...
Old 2004-06-13, 14:55   Link #20
foxdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepher
no, talking about this anime.
lets see....giant robot samurai who fought a great war in space, and giant robot samurai bandits who steal the rice from poor farmers?

I would like to see who ok-ed this one for production.....and punch him in the face.

Akira Kurosawa is rolling in his grave >_>
he, a samurai got to eat right!

Tags
action, historical