AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-16, 15:43   Link #61
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Just watched episode 2, this isn't really my cup of anime. While the character designs are decent, the rest just isnt my kinda stuff (from mech design to pilot "cockpit")

There's nothing wrong animation wise but the mecha CG doesn't fit in too well with the rest imo, not to mention the slow ass combat. While some folks might find it majestic, I find it yawn-inducing. There's just no hook in the first 2 episode for me. Gonna give it one more episode before dropping this.

Spoiler for episode 2:

Man.... i hope the next batch of anime comes out soon with some good ones. Only thing left for me to watch atm is Nodame Cantabile and Code Geass.
Old 2007-03-17, 00:05   Link #62
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

After reading this thread, now I know why I had a RahXephon nostalgic feeling while watching the first two episodes. Although the scene where Reideen solidified from the "cosmic rays" was beautiful to watch in episode 2, everything else was a bit dull. The fight scene, like everyone already mentioned, was too s.l.o.w. and didn't have much motion to it.

At least Ayato was fortunate that RahXephon didn't strip him of his clothes each and every time he gears up to fight ...and keep'em, too . I guess after each battle, Saiga would have to run off into the bushes to gear down ...rather inconvenient, I must say. This will be quite disadvantageous. Not only is he endangering his own life to save the world but also his wallet for having to replenish his closet more often. The dryer didn't eat my socks...Reideen did .

Eh, I'll give this show a couple more episodes but if the action doesn't speed up soon (which I hope it does because it holds some promise), I'm calling it quits. The one thing I do like about this series though is the main male protagonist. Personality aside, he doesn't look your typical bishounen and all that.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-17, 13:06   Link #63
solomon

OK, it's wierd but I actually kind of LIKE the way they animated the robots in Reideen. It's very realistic and adds scope to the fights. HOWEVER, if the show is far too focused on that slow robot action it will indeed become tedious.
I for one like the direction, I think Hongo did want everything to be slow and meticoulous, gives a good sense of realism.
Characters and story; too early to tell, I hope we get some rather nuanced development out of them.
Visually it kicks ass (I would say naturally scince it's IG, but then again Blood+ underwhelmed me visually), I rather like Saito's designs even if they are a little bit simple. Wonderful coloring and nuanced animation (just like Macross Zero actually)
Music was nice but not too memorable and as far as I know all the Seiyuus sounded good.

I'll keep up with this, It has mildy intrigued me.

EDIT: about the robots, i like the way they move. It's the DESIGNS themselves that are a tad iffy with me.
"nother edit: I LOVE TOMIKO VAN's OP!!

Last edited by solomon; 2007-03-17 at 14:09.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-17, 22:13   Link #64
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
New rule for SRW shows: If it moves slower than ANYTHING in SRW: Scramble Commander for PS2, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I'll stick out the show for a bit longer, assuming the group doesn't drop it due to some kinda evolved hatred of how it goes.
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-18, 21:52   Link #65
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I tried watching a couple of episodes and had a good laugh. Way to revive the Golden Age of mecha with a plastic 3DCG (however, it was to be expected, since it's Mitsuru Hongo, after all)...

Still, this didn't seem like a complete waste of time. The CG is lame, but still, it wasn't all that bad. I'll try watching more. Here's hoping that the battles speed up a bit. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 10:52   Link #66
Hunter Nin.

I was quite sceptical of the CG in this but I think it turned okay, certainly not the disease ridden pustule on the face of the beautiful anime that could have been. I'm growing quite fond of it and I don't usually watch mecha anime, the 2D animation really is top notch so it will be a shame if the CG battles can't catch up.
Hunter Nin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 12:51   Link #67
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Just watched the first two eps.... well, i guess i am a bit disappointed I don't mind the CG robots much... actually, i kinda like them for some reason. And the scene where Reideen "materializes" looked kinda cool, i'll give it that.

But the "action" is indeed yawn invoking. If i want to watch something that makes me yawn and appreciate the show for being able to do so i watch Aria The pace better pick up soon, or else...

Aside from the cheezy and cliched setup i think this has potential. I was not especially attracted by the first two eps, but hey - a lot of shows i am following are about to end, so might as well stick with this >.<

Btw - was i the only one who thought of Resident Evil with the zombie hospital ?
Old 2007-03-20, 18:24   Link #68
Hunter Nin.

I just watched ep 2 and I really don't mind the slow combat at all, doesn't seem to make a difference for me. Everything about the show just exudes quality, loving the cool soundtrack and swoosh noises when Reideen appears.

Heh, the hospital did remind of resi actually though those mind control zombie types seem to be pretty weak.

My only problem is what the hell happens to his clothes? He really needs to remember to use the "Clothes... Fade in" command once he is finished beating the bad guy. Are they stowed away in some alternate dimension perhaps... Is this another of Reideen's abilities? Amassing a large amount of clothes for the "God's Closet" special move ... I will keep watching this show because for a start I think it's pretty good and also just to see if they ever reveal what happens to his clothes. Perhaps they are actually part of the summoning process and are used as payment with the removal of clothes generating the energy required to materialise Reideen, maybe it is just one of the ancient civilisation's practical jokes or maybe it was just a fatal flaw in the design process. This is one question that is in dire need of an answer.

Damn I want to see the next episode, looks like we will be finding out more about vigilance and that mysterious girl.
Hunter Nin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 18:39   Link #69
zalem

Watched episode 3 just now....

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-20, 18:49   Link #70
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Never saw the original but decided to watch the remake. The first two episode were not bad it did spark some curiosity in me. The mech designs are nice and i do like how the mechs are moving around at high speed but move according to their gigantic size. I think i will stick with it for a while and see how it pans out
Old 2007-03-20, 19:48   Link #71
Lost

I'm watching Reideen with no prior experience in the Golden Age of Mecha, as Prophet puts it. I found the 2D character animation to be very realistic, and the rest of the animation smooth, and in that it attracted me. The 3DCG they used for the Mechs were something entirely new to me - it really does look dated, not the CG itself mind you, just the designs (I think I saw shoulder pads ). More in the sense of all that gold and reflections; as well as the Mech's build/structure, well, you never see anything like that today. That aside, it's something I can get used to and even come to like. Most of all, however, I think the girl in the OP is really cute, and I want to find out more about her. Her smile...
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 19:01   Link #72
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

In the search for decent (note, not good or great) series this winter season I decided to try the first episode of Reideen (unsubbed even). It wasn't the best episode ever nor it was even great per se, but it had Junki's mom in it - and that was awesome. Junki's mom is awesome and made of pure win. She's really hot - would you expect a woman of two kids to look that sizzling!?

The OP introduced another one of them hot'uns. That's great, because I won't mind the snail-slow fight scenes between Reideen and that enemy mecha; I won't mind the zombies; I won't mind the wussy-like attitude of Junki - though I'd think he'd still bag that girl in the OP.

But I'd say this - his mom is FINE ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 08:44   Link #73
maohayato
Evil God

in ep 2: Anyone noticed how Reideen automatically teleported to a more distant location to fire his God Gorgon(dunno if its the correct name, otherwise just call it his god arrow attack)?

So he fights super slow, but he can teleport??!!??
maohayato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 08:58   Link #74
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

It's prob a lttle thing called "self-preservation" . Only a real idiot would want to be caught up in that explosion imo.

I think the "monster film" type battle speed is fun. It's what those guys are aiming for anyways so you shouldn't be expecting the battle speed to increase too much imo.

Spoiler for ep.3:
Old 2007-03-23, 18:30   Link #75
zalem

For ep 3.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-23, 23:50   Link #76
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

for ep. 3
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-24, 00:48   Link #77
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by maohayato View Post
in ep 2: Anyone noticed how Reideen automatically teleported to a more distant location to fire his God Gorgon(dunno if its the correct name, otherwise just call it his god arrow attack)?

So he fights super slow, but he can teleport??!!??
Answers:
Spoiler:
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 12:34   Link #78
sirtao

Quote:
Originally Posted by maohayato View Post
it's called God Arrow here-

in the old anime the God Arrow was the standard version, the God Gougan the energy-powered version.
sirtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 07:45   Link #79
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
No wait, I just remembered - the guy behind episode 18 of Chevalier and the 3rd OP of Blood+ is the animation director for episode 5! No guarantee it'll turn out anything like either of the two, but I'll be damned if I don't watch it. Damn you I.G., tempting brainless sakuga freaks like me!
Just watched ep 4 (nice ep, bit more oomph to the action at last), but the preview to ep 5 looks quite interesting - the animation seems to be very different to the first four (less staid, more energetic), so it looks like Shiotani is getting a free reign after all.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 05:59   Link #80
mouhitori

Spoiler for episode 3:

Last edited by mouhitori; 2007-03-29 at 06:08. Reason: fixed spoiler tags
mouhitori is offline   Reply With Quote