AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-06-04, 05:07   Link #4901
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Here's a question from me, for once, directed at anyone with background in physical-fitness training.

What other kinds of exercise would provide exertion equivalent to running 5km to 10km (3 miles to 6 miles) in 30min or less?

I'm asking because I'm embarking on what is for me a fairly challenging regimen of running (15km) and stair-climbing (three sets of climbing up and down 25 floors with an 8kg/18-pound load) exercises every week, on top of gym sessions to come. The strain on my legs is getting considerable, and I'm beginning to feel old injuries in my right calf/hamstring and left knee acting up again. So, if possible, I'd like to switch to another drill that wouldn't further impact my leg muscles over the week, while still getting sufficient aerobic-fitness training.

For example, if I were to swim instead, how many laps would I have to do roughly?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 05:24   Link #4902
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Here's a question from me, for once, directed at anyone with background in physical-fitness training.

What other kinds of exercise would provide exertion equivalent to running 5km to 10km (3 miles to 6 miles) in 30min or less?

I'm asking because I'm embarking on what is for me a fairly challenging regimen of running (15km) and stair-climbing (three sets of climbing up and down 25 floors with an 8kg/18 pounds load) exercises every week, on top of gym sessions to come. The strain on my legs is getting considerable, and I'm beginning to feel old injuries in my right calf and left knee acting up again. So, if possible, I'd like to switch to another drill that wouldn't further impact my leg muscles over the week, while still getting sufficient aerobic-fitness training.

For example, if I were to swim instead, how many laps would I have to do roughly?
Here is how I trained for the 21km AHM before a pretty lady removed part of my leg muscle :

Run in graduation, train stamina first - the most basic being cutting 2.4km to 9.40 and below. If you can't do that, don't run anything more, just give up because you're going to kill yourself. Then add 1.2km by 1.2km each time, adding 5 minutes to the first 1.2km added, 7 min to the next 1.2km added after consistently.

If you are in the gym, aim for cardio workout. I never went to the gym to train before because I don't think I needed it. But I constantly went swimming right after I finish my regime run, on a 2x per day basis every weekend. 30 mins of non-stop swimming, then resting for awhile before gauging my lungs by diving underwater at the deep end, and seeing how far I can reach before coming up for air.

And finally, I walked every opportunity I can, most of the time alighting 2-3 stops before reaching my house and walking all the way home, before going out for a jog.

One weird thing I did is that I kept reducing my sleep hours on weekends so as to tire myself out and make my body get used to physical exhaustion.....I was told that it is incredibly dangerous as it can cause permanent brain damage.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 11:32   Link #4903
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
I just heard about the story of Oedipus
and I was like wtf, he married his own mother

and they had children too

question:
are Oedipus' children, his siblings at the same time?

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 14:19   Link #4904
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
are Oedipus' children, his siblings at the same time?
If they share a common parent, then I would think so.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-07, 00:18   Link #4905
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Parousing the internetz, I've come across many Japanese-related manga/light novel (?) titles that continually say, "Bunko Smash." What are these things? And why do I find very little on the titles they describe? More importantly, I'm interested in this. Would someone mind elaborating as to what I'm looking at?
Old 2011-06-07, 21:33   Link #4906
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
The Japanese publishing company PHP Institute (PHP Kenkyuujo) will start a new light novel label that's titled "Smash Bunko" (スマッシュ文庫). Its described as a super light new dimension light novel label that's loaded with illustrations.
Maybe they would add more illustrations and use less kanji....

Is there a custom console making person that will change the color or whatever of your console? Ordinary PSP -> Halo-themed PSP or something like that
Old 2011-06-11, 09:08   Link #4907
HasuMasu
*Artist

*ahem* this is probably the silliest question i've ever asked, so please bear with me

it's been lingering in my mind for some time now, and i doubt i could get answers from anywhere other than this forum

no, i think destiny brought me to this place so that my many questions may be answered by this all-knowing forum

that being said, i want to ask "how do i fall in love"?

it's been 2 years since i've liked anyone "in that way", needles to say it ended in disappointment (just like every other one) but i'm over it

the problem is, it's like i've become "immune" to love, no, it's worse than that, i can't even feel "shallow infatuation"

it's crazy, i feel like i'm gonna turn out alone just because i can't feel any attraction, that is lame

what's wrong with me? IS there anything wrong with me anyway?

i kinda figured that if i came across the right person, there wouldn't be a problem, but it's not like those can be found all over the place right?

i need insight on this, you guys are all i have to talk to, as sad as that may sound
Old 2011-06-11, 10:33   Link #4908
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What kind of girls do you like?
Old 2011-06-11, 12:10   Link #4909
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
Check out the Dating thread in this forum. It's more of a general romantic relationships thread now and there's plenty of nice people there that would give good advice surely
Old 2011-06-12, 23:22   Link #4910
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
In my opinion and experience, it happens when you least expect it and when you don't even want it. The more you look for it, the harder it is to find. You still need to do work to grasp the opportunity when it appears, of course.

Quote:
iwhat's wrong with me? IS there anything wrong with me anyway?
Depending on your age, it may be normal, or it may be a result of something else. Without knowing more about your life situation, social connections, and views on relationships, it's hard to say.
Old 2011-06-16, 04:34   Link #4911
Seitsuki
Onee!

Alright this one is kinda weird.. but hopefully that's what this section is for >.>

What are your thoughts on underwear? I've always been wearing them blindly because that's what I've been taught, but recently when it was really hot and humid I've tried leaving them off and it's soo much cooler and not damp/uncomfortable (don't look at me like that!) which led me to a terrible inner conflict: do I keep wearing them because I should conform to society, or do I liberate myself from the tyranny of undergarments? What if my pants fall down for some reason while I'm in the street?? (and stuff like that. yeah I need more hobbies)

So? *terribly lost and in need of guidance*
Old 2011-06-16, 05:09   Link #4912
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Alright this one is kinda weird.. but hopefully that's what this section is for >.>

What are your thoughts on underwear? I've always been wearing them blindly because that's what I've been taught, but recently when it was really hot and humid I've tried leaving them off and it's soo much cooler and not damp/uncomfortable (don't look at me like that!) which led me to a terrible inner conflict: do I keep wearing them because I should conform to society, or do I liberate myself from the tyranny of undergarments? What if my pants fall down for some reason while I'm in the street?? (and stuff like that. yeah I need more hobbies)

don't let the man tell you what to wear under your pants

i wear them because the feel comfy, if they didn't i'd do away with them entirely

so HELL YEAH STICK IT TO THE MAN
Old 2011-06-16, 08:23   Link #4913
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post

Considered from a hygienic standpoint, underwear serves a purpose. There are trace amounts of feces on a person's underwear, and there will be no matter how much you wipe yourself. If you're not wearing underwear, this will be transferring to your pants, instead. Generally, people change and wash their underwear a lot more than they change and wash their pants. If you go without underwear for long enough then your pants will likely smell rather unpleasant, and I suppose there's the possibility that you could start giving yourself a rash.
Old 2011-06-16, 09:16   Link #4914
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Where can I get a penpal from Japan? I decided I need some extra motivation to practice my Japanese skills for school. :P

(btw, don't say internet, I've looked around, all the sites look...dodgy, at best. Seriously, if there's someone called MANGAGURL15 on it, I'm not going to touch that.)
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 13:40   Link #4915
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Where can I get a penpal from Japan? I decided I need some extra motivation to practice my Japanese skills for school. :P

(btw, don't say internet, I've looked around, all the sites look...dodgy, at best. Seriously, if there's someone called MANGAGURL15 on it, I'm not going to touch that.)
Back when I was studying Japanese I had this idea, too. My school had a number of Japanese language interest groups, but it was more about random conversation.

What I ended up doing was getting into a Japanese MMORPG. I wouldn't play it much (most of the language was beyond me), but I'd hang around the common areas and randomly chat in Japanese with people. That worked my reading and writing (sentence structure and basic kanji) skills, and because it was all real-time, worked the "think on your feet" abilities that come from actually speaking the language. It's no substitute for actually speaking, of course, but I thought it was pretty beneficial - and fun, too. I picked up a few email addresses from the game and took the correspondences to email. It's not all high schoolers, either - I was conversing with a law student and a "salaryman" (office worker), and I found them through that game.

The game I played back then was called Yogurting - it was one of those free to play games, but you could use real money to buy in-game items. I don't know whether it's still active, but there are a lot of those J-MMORPGs (usually made in Korea, but brought to Japan). I still get emails about the latest MMORPG from the company that did Yogurting in Japan, so if you can't find anything, contact me and I can direct you to what ever their latest spam was about. You're on your own as far as creating an account, though.

It's worth noting that I did this when I was in my third semester of Japanese study (roughly 1.5 years of Japanese study). If you're less than a year into Japanese study you may not get much out of it.

Also, remember your time zone difference with Japan. I found that people were most willing to just sit around and chat when it was extremely early in the morning for me (~1-3 AM Pacific, which translated to around 4-6 PM Japan time). I could even get a group of people in conversation - just walk around like an idiot in-game trying to talk to people, and if someone gives more than two lines to you, tell them that you're from wherever you're from. That always seemed to get people interested for me, but of course, not everyone wants to spend their game time chatting with someone who can barely speak their language. So don't feel down if you get cold-shouldered here and there. (It may help you play the game enough so that your character doesn't give you away as a total newb, although you don't have to go too far into the game.)

Have fun!
Old 2011-06-16, 20:05   Link #4916
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

A rather weird problem. I read in a light novel a quoted poem from Rabindranath Tagore, the titre was said to be ''百年後'' ( A hundred years hences); given than the original was probably writed on bengali I searched for a official translation of it but I only found different one ( some aren't even cut like the other... ), could someone indicate me which one is the closest to a official translation ?
Old 2011-06-17, 22:42   Link #4917
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Physics question:

I've seen many depictions of supernovae as being instantaneous explosions of light and energy, yet it always seems as if the light itself is travelling much farther in so little time than light seems to be capable. So my question is this; when something with absolutely ridiculous amounts of energy detonate/implodes/etc, does the level of energy dictate how fast light and energy can actually travel? Say, a nuclear bomb sending out a wave of light at a rather acceptable speed, compared to the preposterous energy wave of a hypernova. Does light speed ever really change depending on the energy involved? Does the light from a supernova travel just as fast as any other light stream?

Thanks for any answers. Felt this question was a bit to complicated to google.
Old 2011-06-18, 00:32   Link #4918
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I'm not a physic expert but according to the theory of relativity you cannot, locally, exceed the speed of light in vacuum. There is no difference whatsoever between the speed of light that comes from a candle, a lightbulb a nuclear bomb or a supernova.

Now it's my turn to make a silly question:

Has a trap ever participated in a saimoe league?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 00:46   Link #4919
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I'm not a physic expert but according to the theory of relativity you cannot, locally, exceed the speed of light in vacuum. There is no difference whatsoever between the speed of light that comes from a candle, a lightbulb a nuclear bomb or a supernova.

Yes, and animals too.

Cheers.
Old 2011-06-19, 03:22   Link #4920
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

Depends if you mean in the main event then Natsuru Senou was a [sorta] of a trap[gender bended canonly so girl and guy]; otherwise not yet except during the exhibition matches; though there has been a reverse-trap Charlotte[IS], and a Steins;Gates could change that as...
Spoiler for spoilers from episode 8~10-ish:
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious