Kentaro Yabuki endcard is awesome.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 18:06   Link #242
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Spoiler for Endcard:

Kentaro Yabuki endcard is awesome.
Yeah ... wasn't expecting him to show up.....
Old 2012-01-17, 18:11   Link #243
Dop
Mmmm....

Well, this series has gone up a bit in my estimation after this week. The ending of the episode was a bit reminiscent of Usagi Drop, but Yuuta is significantly younger than Daikichi was, and a student, so will have bigger hurdles to climb.
I do kind of agree with TurkeyPotPie above about the ecchi elements not meshing, hopefully that'll be downplayed for the dramedy.

I'm also wondering if the parents are confirmed dead, or just missing presumed dead? The latter does leave things open for a happy reunited ending.

This has gone from a 'maybe' to a 'definite' in my watch list, for now, anyway
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 18:36   Link #244
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Superficially this episode may have ended a note similar to Usagi Drop, but unlike Usagi Drop this show is severely lacking in all departments of execution, setting the mood right, and having a clear focus for the show (And lets get real here, Usagi Drop is leagues better than this, and also much more grounded, realistic, and classy).

I think this is exemplified by just how much this show fools you into believing it is some lolicon ecchi affair until the moment that shit actually hits the fan at the end of the episode.

Quite frankly, that scene's dramatic punch whiffed on me. So little effort was put into a proper build up and a real emotional upswing. Firstly, the main character's reasons for making the decision this episode just were pulled in way too suddenly. We have little to no idea of the relationship with his sister, put they tucked in 1 flashback which apparently became the catalyst for sympathizing with the 3 girls. But it isn't even just that, it just feels like such a contrived scenario in the first place. He loses his parents, siblings stick together. Now his sister dies, siblings stick together happens again. Yeah, stories are often about the uncommon things, but this just seemed sort of weird, especially considering how little insight we had into any of these sorts things in his character earlier in the story.

Secondly, I cannot believe the characters in Chihayafuru showed more of an emotional reaction to the events taking place around a game of Karuta than the characters in this funeral scene. The main character you would think would be more distraught about losing his sister, but no, not really. Just extremely rushed scene in general. It flowed badly. The girls also were not as distraught at you might expect, and the voice acting was pretty subpar.

The foreshadowing could have been better, but it was also just the transition. Yes, just like in real life these things happen suddenly and without warning, but that's not what I am even talking about. It's just how the accident happens, we get little to no transition form then to the scenes in the funeral. These inbetween scenes are just OH so critical to establishing the proper dramatic crisis of the event.

At this point, despite yeah boo hoo, we got a sad death and now our main 19 yo character is going to end up adopting some kids (That he most likely should not be able to support), I am lead to believe that the story didn't seem to give much care to establishing the premise very properly. If this is the sort of writing I am to expect down the stretch oh boy...

On the plus side, at least this episode convinced me this show isn't exactly lolicon fanservice trash, though it has been treading that line... Will continue cautiously for now, but expecting mediocrity to continue.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 18:37   Link #245
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Looks like Sentai licensed this one too.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 18:41   Link #246
broken270
Defying gravity

Well, that was a slap in the face. After everything that has happened between them from the awkward start to them singing "twinkle twinkle little star" was cute and sweet. I really liked how his older sister sang the same song to him when they were younger. Then, there was a late night news flash about a plane crash, and the mood gets rather dark. I sincerely hope it is missing and presumed dead rather than a confirmed death. In any case, glad that Yuuta is stepping up to the plate. I know his intentions are good, but can he do it? Hina and Miu can take care of themselves since they are in school, but what about Hina? He can bring her with him to college everyday, and I've seen parents bringing their children to school before, but his "friends" are not among ones with the best influence. Raika is more or less going to tease him. His friend who cooks and cleans his room for him might become a disturbance. The president is already...strange (for lack of wording), and I hope the loli radar does not turn on for him.
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 18:54   Link #247
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

To go along with Reckoner's post, the premise of this show was always very weak if it was going to be anything other than an ecchi comedy. I don't know what family law is like in Japan, but the idea that a 19 year old male college student would be given custody of three children (especially ten and fourteen year old girls that he has no blood relation to) always struck me as absurd if we're supposed to take the drama seriously. The plan to split the girls up among the father's relatives was more realistic, and I have a hard time imagining a responsible adult relative would be willing to let their nieces go live with a young, immature college student who probably can't support himself (especially since his sister is now gone) much less three other kids. Even if he was loaded, who would let their nieces go live with a guy they've barely met and are not related to? Yeah, the setup works for an ecchi show, but the dramatic elements just don't ring true.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 19:22   Link #248
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
WHAT!? No no no no no no no! This was suppose to be one of those happy animes where we could joke about the girls and enjoy the heart warming moments the entire way through!
I'm not really surprised, having read the manga.

The story of guys taking in kids had always been a doubtful theme. But masking the real theme with a happy episode, then slap them with sudden tragedy is just the kind to make an impact. My Girl, Usagi Drop, and of course, this, had taken the plot in different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie
The plan to split the girls up among the father's relatives was more realistic, and I have a hard time imagining a responsible adult relative would be willing to let their nieces go live with a young, immature college student who probably can't support himself (especially since his sister is now gone) much less three other kids.
That's a bit of troubling if the kids don't want to be apart. With the guy put in the same situation as the girls before, he can relate to their troubles. Add that the MC knows just how much his sister fought for his guardianship. In this situation, he's trying to take the same path his sister did before him. And the relatives seems like an apathetic bunch.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 20:33   Link #249
sikvod00

I really don't know how "realistic" it is to split up siblings who've just lost their parents. At least in the United States, child social workers consider it imperative to keep all the children together save for extraordinary circumstances. Assigning them all to the same guardians would have been a no-brainer. The fact that their own relatives didn't understand how important it is to their well-being to be with each other, especially after such a traumatic experience, is a little much...
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 20:35   Link #250
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Still complains about fanservice... I begin to believe that some of you can only watch anime taking place in the middle of winter in a house without heating for the characters to be appropriately dressed

Anyway, I can also see the financial problems from raising three children, while studying, I mean could hardly support a girlfriend when I was studying But I guess owning an appartment, social care, two wrongful death settlements, plus support from the extended family and a part time job will do the trick if four people can fit in 20 sq.m... Japanese tend to come in mini sizes

Other then that it is the best decision not to split siblings (otherwise you risk Koi Kaze developments), but joking aside why some people think that every teenager is a rabid dog that would prey on young and usually not very innocent girls. Being or not blood related does not matter, as long as one cares about the people under his care humans always put their loved ones' interests above their animalistic desires.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 20:46   Link #251
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Lets not kid ourselves here. There is exactly one reason why they have pantsu shots of these young girls, as well as that shower scene in this show. Regardless of what the main character is thinking, it's meant for certain audiences to get off on that type of shit.
Old 2012-01-17, 20:53   Link #252
Setsuna Asuka

And that's a problem why exactly?
Old 2012-01-17, 20:58   Link #253
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Because the show seems to be going for something more than just a trashy ecchi lolicon display, it feels disruptive to the story and also just very cliche.

Also personally, fanservice of really young girls doesn't turn me on at the slightest.
Old 2012-01-17, 20:58   Link #254
Seiryuu

As I understand it, lots of people are "missing" after the crash. I get the impression it might have been a crash over water perhaps? There's no identifiable bodies, so Yuuta and everyone feel some hope that they might be alive. If they're really gone, then getting separated now would almost definitely mean being separated for the rest of their childhoods. Telling a group of children who just lost their parents that they're also going to have to say goodbye to the rest of their family and live with people they visit with on occasion is really harsh, even if it's the best way for them to prosper.

I think the possibility that his sister might come back may have made the commitment a little easier on Yuuta, just as the probability that she won't made it feel all the more vital. Living separate with different people would have allowed the girls to have room, and it would have made sure that their guardians would be able to support them. But there's far more to "happiness" than wealth and comfort, and hard as it may have been I doubt someone who'd been through the same thing could allow this plan. And since the family knows how painful it is, and his side of the family knows quite well how much family means to him, I imagine it would have been a little difficult to refuse Yuuta.

On the positive side for Yuuta, Sora's already 14, so it won't be too long before she's old enough to start working part-time and straight from the start she'll be able to help a lot in the task of taking care of her sisters. It'd be harder on him really if all the girls were grade-school age or younger.

At the very least, I thought the family's plan for Sora was rather cruel. At least Hina and Miu were being sent to live with a family, but Sora was to be shipped off to a boarding school. You could hardly even say that she'd have a "home" or "family" in that case. They may have figured she's old enough to take care of herself, but the truth is she's still very much a kid, and needs a real family.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 21:04   Link #255
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Considering this show is pretty clearly positioned as moe comedy, I found myself surprisingly moved by the flashback of Yuuta's sister pledging to raise him. Aside from that, the highlight was getting to know Yuuta's new family. Someone may need to impose some serious sanctions on Japan for blatantly developing weapons-grade cuteness in the form of Hina. She's got some pretty epic hair for a three-year-old, but I'll let that slide. Miu should be good for some laughs, and as for Sora, I'm typically a sucker for the mouthy tsundere in small doses, but I can see those antics wearing thin if she doesn't get at least a little development.

After episode 1, are we really surprised that there's a little fanservice from the sisters? "I am shocked, shocked, to find gambling going on in this establishment!"

Speaking of service, I admit I'm looking forward to Raika's return. I even kind of miss Yuuta's roommate.

The ED is really catchy, but I ground my teeth a little at the heavy auto-tuning. Maybe that part will grow on me. I like it otherwise.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 21:05   Link #256
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Episode 2 was considerably better (because I'm a sucker for good characters who stand up against selfish adults), but nothing in this show is "special" to me. By no means is it bad, but I want something that will leave a lasting impression, and so far this show hasn't done that. With this new development I'll give it one more episode too see if I'll stick with it.
I haven't watched it yet (since it's a late night show dammit), but if it takes 4 episodes to cover volume 1, I would suggest giving it another 2 episodes. The last 2 chapters (chapters 5 and 6) less epilogue are the best parts of volume 1. Right now, based on the discussion, I supposed that it has covered only up to chapter 2.

@Reckoner
I've already complained elsewhere just yesterday about how certain things and events are glaringly unrealistic in the story, but I still find a few parts to be pretty overwhelming (or maybe I'm just weak against such stories) ;_;, so I'm going to follow this no doubt.

On a side note, Hina really makes me want to have a daughter
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 21:26   Link #257
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Because the show seems to be going for something more than just a trashy ecchi lolicon display, it feels disruptive to the story and also just very cliche.
Psst. just between you and me: For a long time now, no anime had been original. So I was thinking you must have hated every anime since then. And no, Madoka isn't original. We have Narutaru, Eva and Bokurano to thank for past decons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Also personally, fanservice of really young girls doesn't turn me on at the slightest.
That... is your own problem.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 21:34   Link #258
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Why not just leave it to the fact that (to use broad, sweeping strokes of generalization) some people mind the fanservice elements in this series and some people do not, and have neither side make jabs at the other when they express their opinions on the matter?

That way the thread can move on like "normal" (lets not get into the issue of defining what makes a thread normal though )....
Old 2012-01-17, 21:37   Link #259
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna Asuka View Post
And that's a problem why exactly?
The problem is the guilt complex that lecherous men and phobic women develop, trying to blame it on anything other than themselves

Get over it it's three girls living with a distant relative, nothing explicit will happen however many pantyshots they show, unless the people complaining take papa's place... and then we'll get OniChichi, instead of PapaKiki
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 21:37   Link #260
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I did feel how they revealed the tragedy was a miss. The atmosphere didn't fit right so you didn't feel it as much as you should have. Plus they had to rush the end so he could make his initial stance to take care of the girls. Be nice if in the next episode they could show the reactions a bit more. Can argue that since everyone is 'missing' it's harder to react as much as one normally would since it's possible they are still out there somehow. Still could have given more time to reacting at the end of the episode.

Still can understand Yuuta's decision here. His sister did everything possible to keep them together and make it so he could go off to college. The least he can do is the same thing here. He may technically only be 'related' to one of the girls, but the other two became part of his sister's family which means they are his family. It also lines up with how firmly his sister said Yuuta was part of their family.

Certainly an odd situation though. Happily singing songs and then it all goes to hell.

Tags
light novel adaptation, romantic comedy, shounen