AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2015-03-18, 05:10   Link #56321
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Err... at the time of her entrance to ISA she should be around 213cm tall. Roughly 7 feet.
Old 2015-03-18, 05:24   Link #56322
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
Err... at the time of her entrance to ISA she should be around 213cm tall. Roughly 7 feet.
- That's abnormally tall and bordering on someone afflicted with Gigantism. IMHO I don't think they might be qualified for IS piloting--not because of height but because of other factors like poor blood circulation (eg more susceptible to passing out from g-forces) and more easily damaged bones (since your skeleton is carrying much more weight than normal human bones are meant to carry).

Just as a reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow

This is by no means a generalization, though. Some giants (wrestler Andre the Giant being the most famous one) have no problems with physical exertion or damage to bones.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-18, 05:29   Link #56323
demino_hellsin
That one guy

And that is where this gets all weird and abnormal as she is a normally functioning human being with absolutely no signs of gigantism. She actually does very well on physical examinations and has a perfect bill of health. Well not PERFECT but you know what I mean.
Old 2015-03-18, 05:52   Link #56324
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
And that is where this gets all weird and abnormal as she is a normally functioning human being with absolutely no signs of gigantism. She actually does very well on physical examinations and has a perfect bill of health. Well not PERFECT but you know what I mean.
- ...I smell the interference of a rabbit. No, seriously I have this odd feeling...you're making me think of the Elementals from Battletech.

It would make sense. Tabane trying to raise a squad of giant IS pilots to protect her imouto-chan...
Old 2015-03-18, 06:06   Link #56325
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That could work

But she's supposed to be normal. Her history of being bullied stems from the fact she is big, like tall big. And basically she can do everything just as well as everyone else can without any handicaps that people her height can since they are usually afflicted with gigantism. The bullying mostly stems from girls who are basically queen bee of her primary and secondary schooling years. They always made a point to humiliate her because she was already getting attention for being so tall but being athletic and smart was also some of her traits, even to the point she could contend for the position of smartest and most athletic in her school year. She's naturally soft-spoken and fair tempered so when she gets bullied, she doesn't tell anyon and thinks she has to bear the burden on her own. She's bullied so bad it actually puts a subconscious trauma in her that makes her perform worse than she actually should whether in athletics or academics.

Her whole Schtick is bullied tall girl moe.(starts running away from feminazis)
Old 2015-03-18, 06:52   Link #56326
The 48th Ronin

Been thinking of some one-shot ideas, such as Ichika and Dan watching a wrestling PPV.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-18, 07:11   Link #56327
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- I think all current IS that use kinetic rounds (eg not beam weaponry) are caseless and it's possible they just appear on the barrel, since neither the LN or the anime shows anyone reloading magazines. Not even the Rafale Revives which look like they should have conventional style magazines in their weapons. On the other hand, Autumn did mention that she ran out of ammo in her rifle when she was fighting Ichika, if I remember right?

- I'm thinking electrical. Guns as big as used on an IS are bigger than a conventional weapon and has higher explosive power (if we talk about conventional kinetic rounds). Charl's two P90-like SMGs might very well be a M134 minigun encased in a P90-like frame.

- Anything IS-related should at least be geared for small vehicles, so 12.7 (aka .50cal BMG) would be IS rifle sized (the standard rifle caliber for Rafales), and "SMG" rounds would be 7.62mm. AN IS shotgun would probably be firing something more like Grapeshot as opposed to a real life shotgun gauge round.

It's tough to say this is certain because the only IS featured regularly that use conventional firearms are the Rafales in general and Charl's Rafale Revive II specifically. Every other major IS shown either uses exotic weapons (Beam rifles, air pressure cannons, electromagnetic railguns). If only Izuru did a bit more world-building with the older 2nd-gen IS (3rd-gen Is and later started using the exotic weaponry)

- That's a very tough argument I'm too scared to take on. I used to argue with people about .45acp vs 9mm and that was a very nasty argument.
I suppose that we'll have to take this matter in the artillery mindset. Replace MOA with something like CEP or NATO mil (or raise the spectrum. I don't think that sub-MOA accuracy is needed. Maybe 2 or 4 (same as assault rifles)?

In the case that the amount of ammunition is truly infinite (or near. I don't think that they would take 250k rounds per kill like with human - remember that most IS battles happen in the open.), then of course most wouldn't mind about size or weight of the round. PIC may also help with the recoil, thus firing rounds like 12.7x99mm would not be a problem.

An AK-47 could be melted, after all:

Not to mention the residues. Unless you make some holes to vent the hot gas air quickly (For example, a pistol that has one compensator behind the barrel instead of the ejection port), it's going to be a hell to clean it.

(Cosmoline, anyone?)

In short, I think that 12.7mm is still too big. I'd rather has something like the .308 Lapua Magnum on steroid. And no lead, possibility depleted uranium core and has fins.

Extra: Do you think that ergonomic is that important in IS firearms?

Also, they made pink ammunition and even revolver. Wonder wether would they do it with IS?

Last edited by Fireminer; 2015-03-18 at 20:49.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-18, 09:10   Link #56328
Frosty
He who loves to sing
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Been thinking of some one-shot ideas, such as Ichika and Dan watching a wrestling PPV.
What would be their reaction then? I bet Ichika in canon does not understand English at all lol. Correct me if I am wrong
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-18, 09:38   Link #56329
The 48th Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybola View Post
What would be their reaction then? I bet Ichika in canon does not understand English at all lol. Correct me if I am wrong
Ever heard of All-Japan Pro Wrestling?
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-18, 13:54   Link #56330
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
That could work

But she's supposed to be normal. Her history of being bullied stems from the fact she is big, like tall big. And basically she can do everything just as well as everyone else can without any handicaps that people her height can since they are usually afflicted with gigantism. The bullying mostly stems from girls who are basically queen bee of her primary and secondary schooling years. They always made a point to humiliate her because she was already getting attention for being so tall but being athletic and smart was also some of her traits, even to the point she could contend for the position of smartest and most athletic in her school year. She's naturally soft-spoken and fair tempered so when she gets bullied, she doesn't tell anyon and thinks she has to bear the burden on her own. She's bullied so bad it actually puts a subconscious trauma in her that makes her perform worse than she actually should whether in athletics or academics.

Her whole Schtick is bullied tall girl moe.(starts running away from feminazis)
In other words...

Japanese women are SHORT. So 189cm is enough to appear like a giant.

Even so, this idol herself was shunned because she was so tall, and kept growing taller. But unlike your take, she turned out over-the-top genki.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-18, 18:29   Link #56331
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Well the one I had in mind is American, so she had to be a freak even by American standards. 189 cm is probably up there but not weird tall yet
Old 2015-03-18, 19:51   Link #56332
Frosty
He who loves to sing
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Ever heard of All-Japan Pro Wrestling?

Nope. I think I should read something
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 07:13   Link #56333
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Next part. There's some segments that may well be edited out or rewritten later out of this draft.

Quote:
The workshop was cleared of the earlier pile of parts, and Stark had begun connecting power cables to the large object in the room's center. The machine had the appearance of a giant resting moth. Dormant, with a dull red-brown color. The armor was still incomplete, but Ange was growing impatient. Shay had left earlier. No matter how hard Ange tried, Cunningham did not seem interested in the latest version of her IS.

He who laughs last, Stark smirked. Most IS designers worked with theoretical designs in a virtual space and let factories craft the machines. Although Ange designed her machines in a holographic system, the actual equipment still had to be put together by hand. Having her father's machine shop and lathe machines helped.

"Timestamp 4:03 AM 28th of the 8th." Ange began while the remote cameras rolled, following her every movement. "The frame's finished. All I need to do is pop the core in."

The recording equipment were part of an old system, one her father set up lifetimes ago in his garage. Ange simply took the old systems and applied them to her own little workshop--She kept the cameras and low-technology robots for sentimental value, as she remembered playing with them in her toddler years. It also meant that there were limits to the recording. Instead of a virtual camera tracking her every move, it was a remote tracked vehicle with an arm. Every now and then it would stumble over a cable, or else reach for a fire extinguisher for no good reason.

"In case you're wondering about the getup," She indicated the coveralls and construction worker's helmet she wore while filiming this documentary. "I've learned my mistake from my 3rd attempt, and have taken apropriate safety measures. Eddy doesn't like me walking in on him with all my clothes burned off. I think he's just a prude."

She stepped up to the resting machine.

"This one is Mark 1 Model 27. Took only three weeks to finish, because there were enough whole parts salvaged from Model 26 to build it off." Ange tried to keep the embarrassed blush to a minimum. "I've finally worked out the Fold-Out Armor system. Not as fancy as the 4th-Gen Akatsubaki, but it should do the job. I still haven't worked out the secret of the IS Core, but I've got a gut feeling this combination will work."

There was a long, unsure silence as the robot cameraman tilted it's view.

"I know what I'm doing." Ange reassures the machine, then turns away to roll out a hardened suitcase she had set aside. "Trust me."

The robot bent it's camera downward, shaking in disgust.

"Look, YOU have a better idea?"

The robot camera hunched over in defeat, then resumed filming.

"Okay, here goes everything." Stark rolled the suitcase in front of her. She then backed away, using a pair of remote robotic arms to deliver it's contents. The IS Core was a baseball-sized crystal and was not radioactive. Ange just thought the cameras had to record something dramatic. "Installing the core. Hasn't happened yet, but here's to hoping it doesn't explode."

It was an IS Core, registered number 56. All Infinite Stratos exoskeleton systems required one to function, and a limited number of them existed in the world. The brainchild and creations of Doctor Tabane Shinonono, no one else knew how to build or maintain them. The alien-looking object had been in her father's possession in the early days of IS technology, kept mainly for research purposes. Thus, it had never been mated to an exoskeleton till now. As far as Ange knew, her father hadn't cracked the core's secrets. She was also the only one to ever attempt installing this core into an actual IS. There was a satisfying click as the robot arms installed the core into the model 27's frame. Almost immediately there was a satisfied hum and drone of machinery, signs of an IS coming to life.

And then: Ker-Plunk.

"Oboy." Ange's eyes widened. "That. Can't. Be. Good."

The previously solid suit suddenly started dancing as if electrocuted, flapping rudimentary arms and legs wildly even as the winglike fold-out armor spun crazily along it's back.

Without another word, Ange yelped and leapt behind her worktable. Even the camera robot ducked as the Model 27 started throwing parts of itself all around the room, some with enough force to bury themselves in the wall. Every joint was smoking, and a distinct scent of charred metal and rubber was in the air. The machine jittered and jerked for a little while longer before finally freezing in a squatting position, as if sitting on a throne. A loud POP sounded, and the IS core rolled out the machine's rear end.

Ange took a full minute before she peeked over the table and became convinced it was safe. It was another minute before she worked up the courage to touch the blackened heap.

On cue, the squatting machine collapsed into fist-sized bits of scrap metal.

"...yeah. That went well." Ange took off the helmet and threw it over her shoulder. "Timestamp 4:38 AM 28th of the 8th. Core synchronization attempt with Mark 1 Model 27 failed. Nothing salvageable from Model 27 remains. Back to the old drawing board."

<--------------->

Shay fought the urge to say 'I told you so' to Stark's face. Partly because Ange was sitting facedown at her desk, bleary-eyed and worn out. There was a distinct smell of instant coffee on her school uniform, and signs of being hastily cleaned. A faint hint of a snore could also be heard.

"Don't you get enough sleep at home?" Cunningham mumbled. MacAllister College in Providence, Rhode Island was once a prestigious girl's school. It now focused on training pilots and developers for the Infinite Stratos exoskeleton. As IS were only usable by females, institutions such as MacAllister's grew in importance. As a research and technical school, it was the best in the United States while keeping its image as an elite girl's school.

The way Ange dozed was hardly representative of the school's students. Stark's snoring continued despite Cunningham's attempt. Shay then clapped a hand loudly on the desk.

"Whah." Ange popped her head up, and slowly turned to Cunningham. "Oh. Had to clean up my workshop." Stark replied half-dazed from lack of sleep. "Just some things I needed to take off the wall."

This time, Shay couldn't resist. "Screwed up again, did you?"

Ange said nothing, and her pouting silence said all.

"Ange, I'm not telling you to stop." Cunningham sat in the seat next to face her friend. "I'm just asking you to put your pet project on hold long enough to turn up at school."

"Ah, school." The snigger in Ange's voice was unmistakable through her drowsy drawl. "Where feeble minds turn into eggplant wizards and get a job and great minds turn to mush."

"ANGE."

"Tabane Shinonono doesn't have a monopoly on brains. I can build a better IS than she ever can." Stark's voice was turning defensive. "Just a few more adjustments and I've got it licked."

"Supposing you're right and you DO build the third 4h-Gen IS exoskeleton in existence. What then? It's not exactly original."

Ange opened her mouth but suddenly found nothing to say.

"So it's an ego thing." Cunningham

"I can hear the grand poobah herself marching in." Ange mumbled, but sat up straighter. Shay shot her one of her disaaproving glares but said nothing as she turned in her seat to face front.

A heavyset woman with a permanent frown strode into the room, and all was silent. Professor Abagail Pollock insisted her name be spelt 'with an A not an I', and cast her horrible stare at the whole class. As the head teacher for biometrics and exoskeletal interface systems, she found teaching students about the IS thoroughly insulting. Pollock's short temper was legendary, and even the principal cowered before her rage. She was one of the least liked teachers on campus, consistently harping on how her rudimentary exoskeleton concepts should have been chosen over the IS. Even showing the slightest interest in her claim would have the listener inundiated with complaints that the Professor's nanoskin gel was superior to the bodysuits IS pilots wore when it came to biometric interfaces.

No one in school dared to incur her ire. With one exception.

"Miss Stark." Pollock's voice was deep and grating, sounding like it belonged more to an crocodile than a woman. "I can see you have decided to grace us with your presence today."

"Yeah, I kind of ran out of useful things to do at home." Ange smirked. The whole class held their breath. Some in class secretly enjoyed watching Stark bait Pollock but would never admit it in public. "I'm up for a new challenge. How about you?"

The Professor turned instantly livid, and was about to burst into another one of her tirades when a skidding noise of sneakers was heard just outside. A red-haired girl poked her head in and tried to catch her breath while speaking, only succeeding in a cough and gasp as she tried to talk and breathe at the same time.

Pollock looked the girl head to toe with disgust. "You're late."

"Sorry, Professor Pollock." The harried new girl managed to wheeze between gasps of air. "The train was running late."

"Get in your seat." Pollock spoke as if she wanted to skin her alive. The girl gulped, and quickly scampered to her seat.

Dead silence, but everyone could see the Professor boring her sights down on the redhead. To Ange's surprise, it seemed Pollock had forgotten all about Stark and now poured her trademark venom onto the new girl.

"Miss Brogan, if you are under the delusion that you can graduate solely on your athletic scholarship, I will have you know you are sorely mistaken. " Pollock then glared at all the other students. "THIS is the problem with students like you. If you do not pass my course, I will personally have you expelled."

To the new girl's credit she did not whimper, but seemed frozen to her seat. Pollock was now pulling out test papers from her bag. For some reason, the Professor demanded her assignements be done on actual paper as opposed to digital copy.

Never seen her before, Ange grimaced, tapping Shay's shoulder. "Hey. who's the redhead?"

Cunningham did not turn around. "If you actually turned up to class, you'd know---"

"That we have a mysterious exchange student?"

Shay looked at her friend, counted to ten and rolled her eyes. "That's Jess Brogan. Transferred on a Track and Field scholarship last month."

"This school does sports scholarships?"

"She's a sprinter." Cunningham took a deep sigh. "Macallister can't be all just technology and development. There's inter-school sports, too."

"She always this late?"

Shay muttered under her breath. "At least SHE turns up to class."

"So she's like the mysterious transfer student that transfers in the middle the school year who's secretly the daughter of a superpowered villian." Stark held back a laugh. "I've seen this in a Power Rangers episode some months back. I bet you she'll suddenly have green glowy eyes and next a big giant robot dinosaur comes in and stomps all over the school."

"I don't know you." Shay covered her face behind her notebook. "I. Do. Not. Know. You."
Old 2015-03-20, 07:46   Link #56334
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
* KMD-2 Uchigane: The world’s first mass-produced 2nd Generation I.S. It successfully brought acceptance by armies all over the world to integrate I.S into their structures. While being obsolete compares to later series (the American Ulysses, Russian кабан (Wild Boar) and French Rafale-Revive), its maneuverability, simplicity and ruggedness is nothing to be looked upon. Units are still in use with the Japanese Self-Defence Force and I.S Academy.
- Armaments:
+ Taipu 56 Batoruraifuru o nyūryoku (Type 56 Battle rifle): A modular rifle with internal system derived from the AEK-973S, but replacing the hammer with a striker. Fires the new 7.5x65 mm armor-piercing round in semi-auto, 4-round burst and full-auto. Usually equipped with the Type 56 or Type 57 for more suppressing power. Quite accurate for its class, but the size and weight make it quickly became unpopular with pilots. The Type 58 can’t be equipped with Type 60 Bayonet.
+ Taipu 57 Mojurāgurenēdoranchā O Nyūryoku (Type 57 Modular Grenade Launcher): Mounted under the Type 56 or used individually, it launches the 50mm caseless grenade. Ammunitions include fragmented, smoke, high explosive, flare, thermobaric and infra-red.
+ Taipu 58 Mojurāshottoganshisutemu O Nyūryoku (Type 58 Modular Shotgun System): Mounted under the Type 56 or used individually, it utilizes the 45mm canister shot that contains dozens of shrapnels (treated with phosphate to burn when fired). Deathly but the effective range is extremely short.
+ Taipu 59 Sentaku Kanō Asarutobatoruraifuru (Type 61 Selectable Assault Battle Rifle): Or SABR in short. Developed from the Type 58, it’s capable of firing both the common 7.5x65 mm and the 30x110mm airburst rounds. It feature an interesting system in which the two long-stroke piston working as counterbalancer of each other, thus making the Type 59 can fires from both barrels at the same time. Both the Type 57 and 58 can still be attached on the Type 59.
+ Taipu 60 Bayonetto (Type 60 Bayonet): Multi-purpose knife. Hand-carried or mounted on the Type 61 (between the KE and HE modules). Most Uchigane carry two or more of these (since the Type 62 is difficult for the average pilot to master, thus limited their CQC option to this).
+ Taipu 61 Shikisensha Kurōzuku Ōtākonbattosāmaru Gatana (Type 59 Close-Quarter-Combat Thermal Katana): Designed for CQC, the Type 62 and Type 60 combination called a Daisho by some (However, it’s interesting to note that the Type 58 is inspired by the Odaichi design, while the type 60 is a Tanto). The blade temperature could be raised up to 750°C for 30 minutes. After that, the blade is prone to break. Rarely used by the JSDF pilots due to its size and difficult to master.
I wonder whether Google translate has been working properly.

You know, it's actually funny to see someone mounts a cup holder on a Picatnny rail.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-20, 07:49   Link #56335
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That's how they train recoil control. You must not spill a single drop XD
Old 2015-03-20, 08:52   Link #56336
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

That awkward moment when you're leaving for Japan in five days and you feel like visiting the places where your OCs supposedly lives... o.O
Old 2015-03-20, 08:55   Link #56337
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That's not awkward, that's writer's spirit.
Old 2015-03-20, 09:00   Link #56338
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Heh, I suppose so. Though I still can't get a proper lead on the most probable location of the IS Academy.

First, I thought it would be in Tokyo but it's too squeezy to fit the anime scene of it. Then I thought it could be somewhere off the coast of Ito, seeing as there are seaside towns and it leads to the wide view of the ocean. I don't know man, it's a mix of thrill and awkwardness. Since I have the rail pass, I could scout locations if I had the time.
Old 2015-03-20, 09:04   Link #56339
demino_hellsin
That one guy

well visiting generally means sight seeing anyway. Enjoy yourself a little. Breathe in some clean mountain air after breathing in the light Tokyo smog.
Old 2015-03-20, 12:24   Link #56340
lovetospoon73

another idea: a device that allow 2 or more IS units to fused, creating a new form that allow them to use both their abilities/weapons
lovetospoon73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest