AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-08-26, 16:11   Link #1
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I need Help recovering file in XP- DOS

I can't seem to understnad what the heck is going on .
Every command I try to use it says "not reconized as an internal or external command"

I just want my file back >,< i burned an episode and it says it is corrupt! AHHH
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 16:18   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

What command (or commands) are you trying and where are you trying them?

Your thread title says "XP- DOS": XP and "DOS" are totally different things, but you might be confusing the Windows XP "Command Prompt" (or "Console Window" as it is often refered) with "DOS", as by default they both use a similar white on black text based interface and support similar commands; like "CD" and "DIR".
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 17:14   Link #3
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

well it comes up as
C:\ Documnets and Settings\USER

I menat to say I'm using DOS on XP server. I got the command prompt from the "start", "programs", "Accessories".

Whn I try the commads of undelte and so forth of even trying to find somthing it comes up with the error. I did it once but I'm a noob and can't figure out anything

Opps I meat to say I was using the DOS on XP if that made a difference. I need your help ^-^"
Old 2004-08-26, 17:34   Link #4
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Sorry, long-ish post ^_^;

undelete was indeed a command you could type in DOS to attempt to recover a file once deleted. However XP has no such command. That command worked because of the way files are deleted on the "File System" DOS used. That is the files were never really erased completely. The (default) "File System" in XP (NTFS) is very different from that of DOS (FAT-12, FAT-16 or later FAT-32). There are ways you can recover a deleted file from XP's "File System", it just needs a different tool because the method is different.

However, you also need to bare in mind that in both systems, although the file's data isn't really erased completely, the "File System" doesn't know about it anymore and will let other programs write over it.

In fact the more you use your computer the lower the chance of recovering the file. I'm guessing you only have one disk drive "C:", which the file was on? As this is a system disk (one with Windows files on it) windows has probably written over it by now. Thus, if the file you are looking for isn't in your "Recycle Bin" (on the desktop) ... chances are it has gone for good.

As I said, there are file recovery tools you can download to recover files mistakenly deleted. They come in two flavors. One protects your files by not really deleting (let alone erasing) them when you try to delete them (it deletes them a few weeks later, to give you a chance to change your mind). An example would be Symantec's "UnErase" program (part of "Norton Utilities"). This has the down side that it must be installed and running before you try to delete the file. No good for you now.

The second type might be more helpful. These are disk utilities that can read the disk directly and attempt to rebuild parts of the "File System" that have been removed or disconnected from other parts of the "File System". Most have Wizards to help you use them but are normally quite complicated and can cause more problems if used incorrectly.

Is the video so important that you must recover it?
Can you re-download it? It might be easier than trying to use a recovery tool -- although I'm sure we can offer you some help if you really must.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 18:01   Link #5
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Well the episode seems to only come in a batch. That would cause alot of work to free up enough space it fit the batch.

Once I thought I deleted a video. I managed to work it and find it throught the commmand prompt. But realized I didn't need to recover it (I found I burt it alreday). I did it once...I don't know why I can't remember how to do it again

I would really lve some help ^-^"

I did download a recovery tool but it pissed me off and messed up some stuff.
Old 2004-08-26, 18:36   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
You can download single episodes of a batch with Azureus. Also, you don't need to have that much free disk space since you can instruct Azureus to not preallocate the disk space but to fill it in as you download. Follow the link in my signature if you are interested.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 21:49   Link #7
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

For BitTornado.
- Click on Details
- Right click on the files you do not want and select Never Download.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote