AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-21, 14:02   Link #141
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I agree the move to do this with FFX makes sense. It's not as hard a game to update to HD, though can see they are actually adding to make it fit the wide screen. Also I'd say it was the last good FF game they made so it'll be nice to go through again looking a little better.

Would be nice to get something done for FF6 or 7, but is what it is. Not a bad choice.
Old 2013-05-21, 16:37   Link #142
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm one of those people that agree completely with Spoony's review of every Final Fantasy game he's ever reviewed.

Seriously squeenix, stop putting horrible ear-gratingly annoying male protagonists. Do female MCs. You're better at it!
Haha, no... just need to make more Zack's and Less Tidus's
Old 2013-05-21, 17:03   Link #143
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

What's wrong with Tidus?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 17:08   Link #144
Kirayuki

Maybe that is from english dub, but frankly I think FF male protagonists always manage to get great Japanese VA to cover their voices. At least I rarely see people have problem with their voices.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 18:17   Link #145
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i hope they have the japanese voice track as a selectable audio..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 01:45   Link #146
domomonster
Badass

Unfortunately I never got round to finishing X on my PS2, and tbh I just cbf setting it up again to play it... So I would love the chance to play it all the way through on my PS3
domomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 02:08   Link #147
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Haha, no... just need to make more Zack's and Less Tidus's
Nothing about Final Fantasy VII is good.

Final Fantasy VI is clearly the best Final Fantasy game ever created, and it has a female protagonist who is handled very, very well--she isn't just a "man with tits" and actually has a lot of character development during the World of Ruin arc that takes her femininity into account.

Without making her weak, helpless and utterly incompetent. I really love how Square handled Tina as a character, making her badass but realistically vulnerable, feminine but eminently capable. And she wasn't immediately thrown into the "love interest" category, with Square choosing to halfheartedly ship Locke and Celes instead.

Seriously squeenix, what the hell happened?

(Yes, yes, I know FFVI actually had an ensemble cast, and depending on which part of the game the viewpoint character changed... but Tina is arguably the main character.)

Edit: Also FFVI is the most awesome Final Fantasy because it has a gamebreakingly powerful loli that uses weaponized paintbrushes and can chain-cast Ultima for massive damage. Seriously what's not to love?
Old 2013-05-22, 07:21   Link #148
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

No! Only boys with swords! ONLY BOYS WITH BIG SWORDS!

XD Ye-no...

I liked Zack, Cid and Vincent from FF7, the rest.. eh.. I was the typical FF7 fanboy for a while but grew out of it. I know your desire for more female characters in FF games but it shouldn't always be set on one gender. Why not have both?.... a male and female.. not shemale XD
Old 2013-05-22, 10:54   Link #149
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:

Final Fantasy VI is clearly the best Final Fantasy game ever created, and it has a female protagonist who is handled very, very well--she isn't just a "man with tits" and actually has a lot of character development during the World of Ruin arc that takes her femininity into account.

Without making her weak, helpless and utterly incompetent. I really love how Square handled Tina as a character, making her badass but realistically vulnerable, feminine but eminently capable. And she wasn't immediately thrown into the "love interest" category, with Square choosing to halfheartedly ship Locke and Celes instead.

(Yes, yes, I know FFVI actually had an ensemble cast, and depending on which part of the game the viewpoint character changed... but Tina is arguably the main character.)

Edit: Also FFVI is the most awesome Final Fantasy because it has a gamebreakingly powerful loli that uses weaponized paintbrushes and can chain-cast Ultima for massive damage. Seriously what's not to love?
A typical Final Fantasy rant. Are you really talking about Tina? Celes was more of a protagonist since she is the one who leads the team after all the chaos and had bigger problems than amnesia. Ashelia from FF12 was a better protagonist than Terra and it's because she had flaws she accepted and wanted to overcome them
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 11:19   Link #150
Xagzan

Quote:

Whaat? FF7 is fine. Not my favorite, but I wouldn't rate it any better or worse than other FFs. Just cause by now it's been milked to death and had its characters flanderized into generic shounen cutouts doesn't take away from the original.

Actually, 7 was the first one I ever played, and before 13, 6 was the last (went 7-12, then backtracked with 1-6).

But it's 9 that stands above the rest for me. Despite its deformed character art style, the cast was the most engaging, felt the most human, it had great themes about life and death, home and memory, and the locations felt unique and organic. It even had a Shakespearean comedy homage scene! To quote you, what's not to love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
A typical Final Fantasy rant. Are you really talking about Tina? Celes was more of a protagonist since she is the one who leads the team after all the chaos and had bigger problems than amnesia. Ashelia from FF12 was a better protagonist than Terra and it's because she had flaws she accepted and wanted to overcome them
Eh. Celes was the Samwise Gamgee of FF6. She took center stage for a bit while Terra was otherwise unavailable, but I still wouldn't rank Sam over Frodo in terms of character status.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 13:02   Link #151
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Ashelia??

Tina/Terra is infinitely more developed as a character.

There is no Final Fantasy that develops his characters so well as Final Fantasy VI, taking into account the number of characters. (and the number of characters is huge).

Final Fantasy VII is only the first that many people played and the first in 3D. Nothing more. Final Fantasy VII didn't bring anything new to JRPGs.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 14:00   Link #152
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Needs more medieval setting FFs.
Old 2013-05-22, 15:21   Link #153
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Ashelia??

Tina/Terra is infinitely more developed as a character.

There is no Final Fantasy that develops his characters so well as Final Fantasy VI, taking into account the number of characters. (and the number of characters is huge).

Final Fantasy VII is only the first that many people played and the first in 3D. Nothing more. Final Fantasy VII didn't bring anything new to JRPGs.
Actually there is really not much development because the first time I finished it I barely remembered some guys' names and finishing backstories wasn't necessary to end the game. I could just skip some guys and go to fight Kefka. If I think of something new that FF7 brought was that Materia system which made magic more practical but I don't know what you are searching for. I don't remember FF6 bringing anything new.

FF4 was the one that defined RPGs thanks to its story, characters and fighting system. The twist of Golbez being Cecil's brother was mindblowing by the time it was released. Cecil and Rydia got big changes in their techniques as the story continued and they stayed in the party.

About medieval settings there haven't been many new ones other than FF9 and FF12. FF6 appeared to be based on the Industrial Revolution while FF7, FF8 and FF13 took a more futuristic tone. FF10 appears to be a mix of premodernism and futuristic. FF1-5 were medieval if I remember right.
Old 2013-05-22, 15:34   Link #154
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Ashelia??

Yup, FF7 was just at the right place at the right time.

I enjoyed Crisis Core way more than FF7. Zack is way more likeable than Cloud.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 15:34   Link #155
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Final Fantasy VI was the first mainline FF game to completely step away from the Job system used in previous titles and focus on more broad character customization. That said, it didn't bring anything new to the genre, really. It just took everything that already existed and polished it to a gleaming shine.

I agree completely that FFIV was the defining game of the series. It was really when the game stopped being a basic dungeon-crawler RPG similar to the old Gold Box AD&D titles, and started seriously showing the differences between Western RPGs and Japanese RPGs.

Personally the mainline games rank up like this for me (I don't like most of the spinoffs, but the Tactics series is friggin' gold all around). I consider 6, 4, and 9 to be the absolute best of the series, with 5 and 3/2/1 coming in as runners ups. I had a lot of good memories of FFXI, so I actually kinda tack it on the end of 5/3/2/1 lump. From here, the rest are pretty much bad, with 13 being the best of the bad, followed by 7 and 12 in the middle row, then 14 1.0 (ugh, such a terrible launch).

The absolute worst, in my opinion, are 10, 10-2 and 8, with 10 being much better than 8 due to the combat system being pretty much awesome (even if everything else is horrible). FF8 was just a complete and utter trainwreck all around--terrible combat system, terrible logistical systems, terrible enemy scaling, terribly translated terrible story that relies way too much on knowledge of Japanese culture for the average Westerner to understand...

It's just terrible all around.

And 10-2 is just idiotic. Good idea, terrible, terrible execution. I could have really gotten behind an all-female cast with lots of open world exploration and things to poke and prod at, but the absurd fanservice and Charlie's Angels crap really, really, really killed my ability to enjoy the game. Dresspheres were probably one of the absolute best implementations of the old Job System ever, though.

FF14 2.0 I haven't seen enough of to call judgment on, but if it continues the way it's going, and Squeenix stays far, far away from free-to-play payment models and cash shops selling power, I think it'll be ranked up there pretty high.

I haven't played FF13-2 yet, so I can't say anything about it.
Old 2013-05-22, 15:44   Link #156
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Actually there is really not much development because the first time I finished it I barely remembered some guys' names and finishing backstories wasn't necessary to end the game. I could just skip some guys and go to fight Kefka. If I think of something new that FF7 brought was that Materia system which made magic more practical but I don't know what you are searching for. I don't remember FF6 bringing anything new.

FF4 was the one that defined RPGs thanks to its story, characters and fighting system. The twist of Golbez being Cecil's brother was mindblowing by the time it was released. Cecil and Rydia got big changes in their techniques as the story continued and they stayed in the party.

About medieval settings there haven't been many new ones other than FF9 and FF12. FF6 appeared to be based on the Industrial Revolution while FF7, FF8 and FF13 took a more futuristic tone. FF10 appears to be a mix of premodernism and futuristic. FF1-5 were medieval if I remember right.
Although not required to finish the game, the backstories are there. FF4 is centered on the story of a single character basically, while in FF6 is the story of many.

The Materia system is not new, is basically the Esper system under another name and small changes in mechanics.

And I did not say that FF6 brought something new. But it is usually said on FF7 as if had brought innovation in JRPGs. Its not true. If FF6 brought something new was the storytelling without focusing exclusively on a single protagonist (can even finish the game without Tina in the party).
Old 2013-05-22, 20:56   Link #157
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Although not required to finish the game, the backstories are there. FF4 is centered on the story of a single character basically, while in FF6 is the story of many.

The Materia system is not new, is basically the Esper system under another name and small changes in mechanics.

And I did not say that FF6 brought something new. But it is usually said on FF7 as if had brought innovation in JRPGs. Its not true. If FF6 brought something new was the storytelling without focusing exclusively on a single protagonist (can even finish the game without Tina in the party).
Actually FF7 brought the whole archetype of the spiky haired hero wielding a giant sword. Lots of anime started imitating that to the point Cloud even appeared in Gintama in an online RPG game. Also, FF7 brought the innovation about to the development of new games due to how they cost. I really don't get the whole FF7 hate and it is starting to appear to me that FF6 is the one being overrated with all these rants that nobody asked for and this isn't even a FF6/FF7 forum.
Old 2013-05-22, 21:18   Link #158
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Actually FF7 brought the whole archetype of the spiky haired hero wielding a giant sword. Lots of anime started imitating that to the point Cloud even appeared in Gintama in an online RPG game. Also, FF7 brought the innovation about to the development of new games due to how they cost. I really don't get the whole FF7 hate and it is starting to appear to me that FF6 is the one being overrated with all these rants that nobody asked for and this isn't even a FF6/FF7 forum.
This is the innovation of FF7? Really?

And I speak on innovations in rpgs: storytelling and gameplay not in visual of anime characters. In this matter FF 7 didnt innovated. Only update in graphics for the old FFs.
Old 2013-05-22, 23:23   Link #159
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Actually FF7 brought the whole archetype of the spiky haired hero wielding a giant sword.
Weren't these guys created before Cloud?

Spoiler for o_O:

Spoiler for o_O:

The only real innovation FF7 brought was it being 3D?

edit: Oh yeah and FMVs!

Last edited by Sassarai; 2013-05-22 at 23:33.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 11:19   Link #160
Vajra
So Like A Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
No! Only boys with swords! ONLY BOYS WITH BIG SWORDS!
How about chicks with BIG SWORDS, female Sephiroth or more Beatrix/Celes/Lightning types

I am still to this day a huge FF7 fanboy, but I am a fanboy of all thing Final Fantasy so the numbered entries are irrelevant. After playing through Final Fantasies 1-6, and going back doing VII; there really are only a few small things that this game established for the FF/JRPG franchise and even then the most obvious is Materia/out of the box magic system and even that didn't carry over to other titles except for entries within the CoVII. Don't get me wrong VII is a great game, just that in retrospect all it really was/is just a traditional JRPG with fancy 3D Polygonal graphics with a 180 degree rotating camera with top-down view and pretty cinematic sequences.
Vajra is offline   Reply With Quote