AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-04, 13:24   Link #21
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Incidentally, they should even be able to re-cast all the original device voice actors if they can get them, because the Engrish is just the way the lines were written. For example, the VA for Raising Heart was also the Narrator voice in the English dub of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, which was in perfect English and even had a slight Irish accent (very nice voice, IMO). So it's not like the VAs were incompetent, they just read the lines they were given. It's mostly a case of bad writing and bad voice direction, which makes sense since all the writers and producers were Japanese. I think it'd be sort of cool if they got the original voices back to re-do the Engrishy lines, but we'll see. Probably too much work.
Old 2007-03-04, 14:37   Link #22
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

strange how the VAs had no input to fix up the bad english though...
Old 2007-03-04, 15:03   Link #23
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAce View Post
strange how the VAs had no input to fix up the bad english though...
as relentlessflame said the VAs just reads from the script that they are given so its not like they dont want to but rather they cant ~ then again i like they engrish as it reflects how i imagine machines with semi intelligence would talk

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-03-04, 18:45   Link #24
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
You're like the third person on this site to call me that! Its BLOODSEEKER, dammit! Two Es, no Us, no Cs!

On topic: Indeed.
Sorry, man. Really, I should just copy/paste people's names online. Too many people with names far too similar for me to not reisk mixing it up.

VA's - In Japan, it's considered immensely rude to correct a superior. In fact, their status automatically makes them correct, regardless of what the truth may be. If a high-ranking businessman tells the world's top Guilty Gear champion that Dizzy is the crazy guy who manifests spirits, then he has to smile, agree, and suck it up. And the fact that the VA's here are white makes it all the deeper of a problem.

I don't know how expensive they'd be to hire from overseas but if they could get good recordings of the lines read without the engrish, I'd prefer that. But if they can't, I'd prefer they use the existing engrish than try to get more VA's. The lower the savable voicing costs, the higher the chance that we'll see a good production in all other areas.
Old 2007-03-04, 19:17   Link #25
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Dragnfly, remember that the VA's for Raging Heart and Bardiche do seem to be from the West. Their names suggest that, at the very least. Sort of even money on whether or not the lines are cleaned up though...
Old 2007-03-04, 20:15   Link #26
BatAttack
Gaou!!

They may be westerners, but that their voices were used in Nanoha, a Japanese production, makes it highly likely that they live in Japan.

But then again, maybe they have moved, or do work remotely. Who knows.
Old 2007-03-05, 06:20   Link #27
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I'm pretty sure Donna Burke, although Australian (I think) has nlived in Japan for a number of years.

Even if working online, it'd still be a world of problems if she'd have tried to correct their engrish. It's not about working in Japan. It's about working on a japanese production.
Old 2007-03-06, 01:12   Link #28
Shadow Angel
Hellraiser

Guess this means it's not getting licensed?
Old 2007-03-06, 01:25   Link #29
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Where'd you get that idea? O_o

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-03-06, 01:44   Link #30
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Angel View Post
All it means is that Higurashi's the 'latest' license that Geneon acquired.

Its almost certain that they have the license for Nanoha as well, since I don't think they've ever registered domains just to fool people with their licenses before.

Now its just the waiting game for the license announcement, which I'm guessing will be announced at that Nanoha Party thing April 1st.
Old 2007-03-06, 04:18   Link #31
Shadow Angel
Hellraiser

Hope something is a brought up there.
Old 2007-03-06, 04:31   Link #32
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Angel View Post
I suggest you read the first post of this thread a bit more carefully

So far, every domain Geneon has registered has resulted in a license, but until they make an official statement we have to assume it's just rumour. Just because When They Cry - Higurashi has been announced doesn't mean anything for the others (Nanoha, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Saiunkoku Monogatari).
Old 2007-03-06, 06:29   Link #33
Bloodseeker

I hope that they take "Magical Girl Lyrical" out of the title and just leave it at "Nanoha" for the R1 release. Whenever I try to recommend MGLN to someone that's looking for a good action anime, I always get a "WTF, the magical girl genre is still alive? DO NOT WANT!" reaction until I show them an AMV or badass Fate wallpaper or something. The phrase "magical girl" seems to drive a lot of people away...
Old 2007-03-06, 06:33   Link #34
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
I hope that they take "Magical Girl Lyrical" out of the title and just leave it at "Nanoha" for the R1 release. Whenever I try to recommend MGLN to someone that's looking for a good action anime, I always get a "WTF, the magical girl genre is still alive? DO NOT WANT!" reaction until I show them an AMV or badass Fate wallpaper or something. The phrase "magical girl" seems to drive a lot of people away...
that does make sense
people trying to look for a good anime to watch will probably turn away from the phrase "magical girl" in the anime
but at the same time
changing the title to just "Nanoha" wont really make sense
especially to the fans that already know about magical girl lyrical nanoha
Old 2007-03-06, 06:39   Link #35
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
that does make sense
people trying to look for a good anime to watch will probably turn away from the phrase "magical girl" in the anime
but at the same time
changing the title to just "Nanoha" wont really make sense
especially to the fans that already know about magical girl lyrical nanoha
So basically what you're saying is that keeping things the same is more important than not driving away people that have come to associate the phrase "magical girl" with cheesy romance shows with mediocre plots and fight scenes?
Old 2007-03-06, 08:02   Link #36
Cloudy

Finally geneon had the initiative to license animes that already ended long ago and already have a huge fanbase.
Old 2007-03-06, 09:12   Link #37
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I'm gonna have to agree with Bloodsu..SEEKER on this one. If they leave it MSLN it'll greatly reduce interrest. I think just "Nanoha" is a good name for it. Maybe Lyrical Nanoha, but I think even that doesn't have the same impact. Tho calling it "The Nanoha" is kind of badass, it just doesn't sound good.

My DVDs (which I made myself for my own use but haven't burnt to disc yet) are titled:
Lyrical Magical
The Other Magician
Shoot First, Ask Questions Later
Black and White
Friendship

I used the full anime's name of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha but in retrospect, I wish I'd just used "Nanoha". It just works much better and it's far easier to get people to agree to watch it.
Old 2007-03-06, 09:56   Link #38
Bloodseeker

You got it right this time.

I never thought that giving it titles other than listing the show's name and the volume was all that important... though if I were to name them:

1. Raging Heart
2. Rival
3. Allies
4. Redemption

And they need to release it with four episodes on the first dvd (its gonna suck if they stop at three, seeing as how the first three episodes were typical magical girl crap... I've ran into a few people that gave it a chance and were turned away by the first three episodes being exactly what the show title suggested they are) and three on the rest, IMO.
Old 2007-03-06, 11:24   Link #39
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Yeah, personally the first time I encountered "well, I've never heard of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, but it's a magical girl show, so it has to be bad", I just sat there stunned for several minutes, as my worldview got a severe realignment. I've only talked about the show to people who've already seen it for so long that I didn't even consider how the title must sound to those who've never seen it and don't like the standard stereotypical plots in magical girl shows.

Personally, based on gut instinct and feelings, I would prefer that they leave it as "Magical Girl (or Mahou Shoujo) Lyrical Nanoha", if only because the full name (in Japanese) is on all the logos and eyecatches. It's a bit like calling CCS "Sakura", instead of the full "Card Captor Sakura". It just doesn't feel right.

However, I have to concede that the arguments for making it sound more, well, manly are very valid.

I wonder if it's possible to show this on American TV. On the one hand, it's the sort that might appeal to the mythical mainstream audience, since it does have lots of action. On the other hand, there's all the Fate abuse by Precia, which may not be suitable. (I keep thinking back to when I found out ROD TV was being aired in the US, and trying to compare the "mature situations" level of that and this.) If nothing else, letting the General Public know that not every show with a magical girl in it follows the standard stereotypes would go a long way, and is a possible argument for keeping the "Magical Girl" in the title.
Old 2007-03-06, 19:02   Link #40
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
I wonder if it's possible to show this on American TV. On the one hand, it's the sort that might appeal to the mythical mainstream audience, since it does have lots of action. On the other hand, there's all the Fate abuse by Precia, which may not be suitable. (I keep thinking back to when I found out ROD TV was being aired in the US, and trying to compare the "mature situations" level of that and this.) If nothing else, letting the General Public know that not every show with a magical girl in it follows the standard stereotypes would go a long way, and is a possible argument for keeping the "Magical Girl" in the title.
NO!NO!NO!
Closed Thread