AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-28, 06:47   Link #21
Abbott
Munior Jember

I'm loving Aria. Picked up some eps one day when I was on a random browse looking for something new to watch. It's nice to be able to watch something so peaceful, that doesn't have drama and cliffhangers and stress the crap out of me. You can just sit, watch an episode, and then not have to worry about what's going to happen next. I'd love to see more stuff like this.

On a side note, I was considering buying the Manga, but ADV have stalled the Manga after 3 volumes, and after e-mailing them it really doesn't look like they'll be picking it up again any time soon. Shame really, since now that they've licensed it no scanlators can pick it up. Guess it's time for me to expand on those "Level 1 Japanese" classes I did.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 09:42   Link #22
kron

as much as i love aria being animated. quite a few of the eps lacked the 'relaxed' feel and neglected the background stories of the place itself compared with the manga. i'm a huge fan of the manga myself and i have aqua 1 + 2 and aria 1-7. it really is a rare genre but it truly shines in the recent fanservice driven anime / manga world. personally, i enjoy the 'original' episodes in the anime as well as the episodes that only feature 1 chapter of the manga (for example ep 11 which was absolutely great). i hope the 2nd season focus more on neo-venezia as well as featuring more of the 'fantasy' chapters (eg. cat kingdom, abandoned bus, midnight train, ghost of undine, etc)
kron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 08:52   Link #23
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I recently began on this, and am currently on episode three. I've seen two posts alluding to this, but what's with all of the A-names? Akari, Akira, Ai, Alicia, Aika, Alice, even Akatsuki... I didn't realize it until I found myself trying to remember a name, and the difficulty generated by almost all of the names coming to mind.

If people like this series, I'd also highly recommend Mushishi. It lacks the "fanservice" of Aria (I love Aria's character and clothing designs) but the environments and music are beautifully done, and each episode is unconnected to the last. Both Aria and Mushishi are two of the few series that I've come across where I can watch an episode again and enjoy it just as much as I did the first time I saw it.

Unrelated to the anime, but does anyone here have experience with the Japanese version of the manga? In an effort to improve my vocabulary and slightly improve my kanji knowledge (though you can only really learn those by writing them a million times, in my experience) I'm looking for a series to translate - not for a scanslation group, but just for myself and on my own time. I know Aria has furigana, but how complex is it? I was originally going to translate DeathNote, but one of my friends mentioned that it becomes very complex midway into the series. People here have a favorable view of the manga so I'm not worried about the quality of it, but just the difficulty.
Old 2005-12-29, 10:05   Link #24
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
I recently began on this, and am currently on episode three. I've seen two posts alluding to this, but what's with all of the A-names? Akari, Akira, Ai, Alicia, Aika, Alice, even Akatsuki... I didn't realize it until I found myself trying to remember a name, and the difficulty generated by almost all of the names coming to mind.
The girls are colour coded [hair colour] so this is not a problem here

I put it up before but the wipe seems to have killed the listing T_T So here it is again with the cats and guys thrown in

Akari is red/pink
Aika is blue
Alice is green
Alicia is gold
Akira is brown
Athena is violet/light purple

Aria is the 4 eyed kitty
Hime is black
Maa-kun is the tortie.

Ai and Al are chibi
Akatsuki has a perpetual frown
Woody is never without the goggles.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 13:47   Link #25
kron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
The girls are colour coded [hair colour] so this is not a problem here

I put it up before but the wipe seems to have killed the listing T_T So here it is again with the cats and guys thrown in

Akari is red/pink
Aika is blue
Alice is green
Alicia is gold
Akira is brown
Athena is violet/light purple

Aria is the 4 eyed kitty
Hime is black
Maa-kun is the tortie.

Ai and Al are chibi
Akatsuki has a perpetual frown
Woody is never without the goggles.
i believed that Aria is not 4 eyed... those on top are 'eye brows'....
Old 2005-12-29, 14:25   Link #26
Tabris

I enjoy watching Aria. I can't be arsed to recite too much on the reasons why I like it, but in short:

Relaxing, nice animation, loving the lack of a storyline (Slice of life ftw), music is a plus.

Last edited by Tabris; 2005-12-31 at 14:16.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 05:25   Link #27
kron

just finished watching the last ep of season 1. thought it could've been better but i liked the overall feel to it. waiting for season 2!
Old 2005-12-30, 06:06   Link #28
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by kron
i believed that Aria is not 4 eyed... those on top are 'eye brows'....
I know he isn't. I could have said those marks were horns
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 10:56   Link #29
NeoSam

Volume 8 of the seinen manga ARIA will be released on 10/1/2006 (January 10th, 2006).

Here is the cover of volume 8:

The cover was added with the rest of ARIA manga covers in this post.
Old 2006-01-07, 07:28   Link #30
Jellyfish Marine
ShizuxKino~*

Does anyone happen to have the lyrics to...

"Barcarolle"
It is the song sung by Atena in EP6 (Kawai Eri, eventhough she wasn't Athena seiyuu^^o) I believe it is in Italian and from my search there are many songs under this same title. The one used in ARIA is definitely not Charlotte Church's (which is in English) or the famous Andrea Bocelli's one. There's a japanese webpage which says that this is actually a Chopin's "Barcarolle, op.60" by Helen Grauid...err something =w=ili but after listening, they didn't match. I wonder if the production just happen to compose a new song since there isn't any credit given in OST booklet.
Anyway, if anyone happen to have the lyrics, please post it for me >w<
Jellyfish Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 14:00   Link #31
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

I picked this series up today after i found it lying on a mates ftp, only watched the first episode so far, but one word comes to mind for it: Cute.

It has this whole cute, soft and laid back feel to it. Hope the rest of the series lives upto the promise of the first
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 14:10   Link #32
Psychodragon
Inactive Member

I just recently started this one too. The one thing that attracted my eye for Aria were its promotional posters. I'm a salty guy, and as soon as I saw the blueness of its environment, I went bonkers. And then you add the mundane, slice of life feeling, and yup, that got me hooked.

"Undine" by Yui Makino is such a soft, mellow melody. I love it.

Anyone know of any other "slice of life" animes besides this Aria and Piano?
Psychodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 14:14   Link #33
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Reading this thread, and then finding them on my mates ftp is what got me. Otherwise i'd of just left it, the title dosent really sell the anime as well as it should i feel.
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 14:51   Link #34
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychodragon
I just recently started this one too. The one thing that attracted my eye for Aria were its promotional posters. I'm a salty guy, and as soon as I saw the blueness of its environment, I went bonkers. And then you add the mundane, slice of life feeling, and yup, that got me hooked.

"Undine" by Yui Makino is such a soft, mellow melody. I love it.

Anyone know of any other "slice of life" animes besides this Aria and Piano?
How about these?

Windy Tales - This is still being subbed, but please be patient since the translator is in medical school.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (1998) and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (2002) - Short, but oh so sweet.

Someday's Dreamers - Licensed and quite nice.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 22:22   Link #35
Tabris

Just finished episode 11.

A heart warming episode, and Athena in her youth, what a clutz. She's awesome. I loved it. Yuri innuendo ++. I enjoyed the ending too, it was very nice (more so than usual).
Old 2006-01-08, 22:46   Link #36
madarabe
Dunamist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Volume 8 of the seinen manga ARIA will be released on 10/1/2006 (January 10th, 2006).

Here is the cover of volume 8:

The cover was added with the rest of ARIA manga covers in this post.
Oh yes, I'm waiting for the 2nd set of chibi Alicia, chibi Akira & chibi Athena' figurine that comes with it. At last the chibi's collection will be completed!

いっぺん 死んでみる?
madarabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 22:53   Link #37
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Three episodes and I was totally hooked. After watching up to 11, it's definitely been cemented into my top 3 anime of 2005. Probably #2 overall Shame it's only 13 episodes, I could happily watch their antics for another 13 after that too Eagerly awaiting episode 13 (even though it'll be the last one) because I'm 99% sure Ai will be coming to visit for the last ep.

This series gets the thumbs and feet up of approval in every way.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 00:18   Link #38
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
Shame it's only 13 episodes, I could happily watch their antics for another 13 after that too Eagerly awaiting episode 13 (even though it'll be the last one) because I'm 99% sure Ai will be coming to visit for the last ep.
People in the thread were saying that it's been signed for a second season, so we'll get another 12 or 13 episodes.

Episode 11 was quite humorous. The only thing that got to me was that Aika's hair looked black to me for most of it. Then again, I started watching Aria over winter break on my CRT monitor, and now I returned to my regular LCD (which doesn't display color quite as fully), so maybe nothing was really changed at all.

I've picked up the AQUA manga, and will be translating it for fun when I have the time. Skimming through it, it looks to include things from before Aika and Akari became Singles. Unfortunately AQUA has not been licensed in America, but the Aria manga is available from Tokyopop, I believe. I'm still going to go for translating that too, once I finish with AQUA.
Old 2006-01-09, 00:23   Link #39
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
but the Aria manga is available from Tokyopop, I believe. I'm still going to go for translating that too, once I finish with AQUA.
That's good to know. I have the first volume which was released by ADV Manga, but I heard they'd dropped it due to not pulling enough sales. I guess Tokyopop are finishing it?
Old 2006-01-09, 00:27   Link #40
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Sorry, that's misinformation on my part. A friend mentioned it to me, and I didn't check up on it. Apparently, ADV Manga released the first three volumes, but stopped after that. Based on their website and a bit more, Tokyopop doesn't seem to be doing it. Apologies if I excited anyone.

Tags
science fiction, slice of life