2 out of 10: Very Bad... 2 4.88%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-19, 20:35   Link #101
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
I'm not buying the whole younger demographic bullshit anymore.
Well, unless the ratings numbers have changed since episode 6 or so, it looks as if Japan agrees with you. They missed their target age, but they've also said that it's supposed to be accessible for all ages.

Quote:
This show doesn't know what it wants to be.
Sure it does. Flit's a good protagonist and his motives are crystal-clear. This is going to be a show about how three generations of the Asuno family deals with their world. It's just mediocre in its execution and story-telling.

Quote:
The gaping plot holes like using the AGE system to upgrade the Diva but not the Genoace are just the result of piss-poor story telling. There a lot more but it's pointless to go over them, you guys already know them anyway.
Yup.

Quote:
Flit isn't that much younger than most Gundam protagonists, and AGE so far has dealt with topics like war, loss of loved ones, romantic relationships, sacrificing for a greater cause. You don't see that in shows for 5-9 year olds... I get the impression that AGE doesn't know what it wants to be; it tries to apply to wide range of audiences and instead ends of being mediocre, if not just utter crap.
It probably won't be the last time someone is dissatisfied.

Quote:
Going by the art-style you'd think this is a light-hearted show, perhaps even a comedy if we look at the grandpa, Boyage,his two bodyguards, and the rainbow hair dude. Then the show tries to be serious by having these characters fight in a real war and die. The thing is though, any emotional impact their deaths could've had went out the window the moment they established them as jokes with their dialog and ridiculous designs.
Ah, but in my opinion, the art-style shouldn't make that big of a difference if the emotional impact is well intended and delivered. Plenty of animated works with seemingly comedic designs have dealt with serious or darker themes.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 22:32   Link #102
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Going by the art-style you'd think this is a light-hearted show, perhaps even a comedy if we look at the grandpa, Boyage,his two bodyguards, and the rainbow hair dude. Then the show tries to be serious by having these characters fight in a real war and die. The thing is though, any emotional impact their deaths could've had went out the window the moment they established them as jokes with their dialog and ridiculous designs.
Ever watched Turn A or Volter V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I'd consider the custom to be well above the specs of your standard mass production model as it was probably not built on an assembly line. And rising dragon brings up a good point about the power supply required.
Char's custom Zaku II, nuff said.
Old 2011-12-19, 23:48   Link #103
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
I believe what wingdarkness is trying to say is that there isn't that much depth to the writing. Gundam AGE is very light on the dialogue and quite easy to understand. Then again I do have a degree in Linguistics and Japanese so maybe I'm just biased, but compared to Unicorn, AGE reads like Dr. Seuss.
Thanx...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolusionist

I get the impression that AGE doesn't know what it wants to be; it tries to apply to wide range of audiences and instead ends of being mediocre, if not just utter crap.
My point exactly...If it was good kiddy show (like Yugioh i.e.), I'd be all for that...Might not like it, but I'd respect the fact that it was a true kids' show, but this show (which I still see as a kids' show), isn't kid show enuff...It wants to play all pockets, but there's no pool table in the middle, just the corners...

Once whatever story gets set (Particularly with the U.E.), perhaps the next generation will have a shot at being a good sensible story...
Old 2011-12-20, 00:56   Link #104
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So change of subject cause I mean really , I was kind of noticing this episode that Flit seems to have grown quite a bit since the beginning of the series already. At the start he was obviously just a civilian that happened to be building and maintaining the Gundam, but then he swept up on this battle with the UE and became a tag-a-long on the Diva. Now he's had a bit of experience fighting in a mobile suit squad with Woolf and Largan and it seems like he's become a full fledged part of the crew.

Often Gundam protagonists are pretty reluctant to join in the fighting, but Flit seems to be all about trying to be at the forefront of the fight against the UE and I've gotta say it's made him kind of a badass as far as I'm concerned. He's really one of the most mature Gundam pilots even when he's first introduced which is saying something cause he's one of the younger ones.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 03:17   Link #105
JediNight
キズランダム

As others have been mentioning: My main issue is the writing is so inconsistent. It deals with some adult issues, but then the storytelling overall is so "kiddie" that it undermines my engagement with the characters.

Stuff like the DOTS rifle having an internal power supply, but only giving an extra one to Woolf and leaving the Genoace with the little pistol. The Titus shoulder slams a UE suit without the lasers activated which precipitates a drawn out struggle that he then repeats the manuever, this time with lasers active, to eventually dispatch it, etc.

I really hope moving into AGE2 also includes a shift in tone to a more mature method of storytelling.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 10:22   Link #106
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Excellent episode. I love the interactions between Flit and Yurin. They both look good together. It's a shame that it probably will not end well.

Diva's got a new weapon? And Mardona mentioning that "You know about Diva's secret right?"...Hmm, looks like transformable mothership is still quite possible.

The federation is useless to the core. At this rate I really hope that this portrayal is intentional and the upper level do know the truth of UE and is hiding it...

Shame that no episode next week. It starts to get interesting, especially Desil coming for Yurin
Old 2011-12-20, 10:47   Link #107
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

i'm really interested in the Diva's " secret " aswell, is it going to transform like the Quarter in frontier? now that would be something wouldnt it?

Or is it just going to deplot weapons, like some sort of Attack mode that Kit from the original Knight riders had?

Or is it going to turn into some Dendrobium Orchis/Meteor/GN-Arms form?

.. or just reveal some big Hyper-Dods cannon?

it'll all be revealed in the next episode of Dragonba- Gundam Age Z du du du DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 11:07   Link #108
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
As others have been mentioning: My main issue is the writing is so inconsistent. It deals with some adult issues, but then the storytelling overall is so "kiddie" that it undermines my engagement with the characters.

Stuff like the DOTS rifle having an internal power supply, but only giving an extra one to Woolf and leaving the Genoace with the little pistol. The Titus shoulder slams a UE suit without the lasers activated which precipitates a drawn out struggle that he then repeats the manuever, this time with lasers active, to eventually dispatch it, etc.

I really hope moving into AGE2 also includes a shift in tone to a more mature method of storytelling.
Personally I think it will cause I think they know by now that people at large are losing their minds over this first arc with Flit and because it'll have Flit as an adult and his son will be of older age than Flit is in this arc AND it'll mark the official start of the whole generation gap thing that they're looking to explore.

Whether that actually solves the issues people have with the show being "kiddie" or they just latch onto something knew to grill the show for I don't know, but I would be extremely surprised if the show doesn't get a little "darker and serious". Personally I don't think people will be satisfied even if the show does get a little more mature and more in line with say U.C's style of storytelling, but I'm something like 75% certain they are going to try.

I think the new weapon is going to be something like the Hyper Mega Particle Cannon that the Nahel Argama is equipped with in U.C Gundam. Just a really large beam cannon that can punch a huge hole in a structure or enemy fleet.
Old 2011-12-20, 12:25   Link #109
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
i'm really interested in the Diva's " secret " aswell, is it going to transform like the Quarter in frontier? now that would be something wouldnt it?

Or is it just going to deplot weapons, like some sort of Attack mode that Kit from the original Knight riders had?

Or is it going to turn into some Dendrobium Orchis/Meteor/GN-Arms form?

.. or just reveal some big Hyper-Dods cannon?

it'll all be revealed in the next episode of Dragonba- Gundam Age Z du du du DUH DUH DUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN
I'm going with,...Unicron...

...And BOOM goes the dynamite...
Old 2011-12-20, 12:41   Link #110
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I'm going with,...Unicron...

...And BOOM goes the dynamite...
So, the DIVA is a planet-devouring Transformer? That would be one hell of a plot twist, gotta admit.
Old 2011-12-20, 13:53   Link #111
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

with the evil grins Grodek seem to be doing it wouldnt surprise me
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 14:02   Link #112
JediNight
キズランダム

Looking at the design of the Diva, I'm 90% certain it involves the front half of the ship splitting open between the launch hatches for the beam cannon to fire. Look at the Diva in the opening -- there is a seam down the middle to about the halfway point of the ship.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 14:55   Link #113
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I don't think this show is necessarily bad, it's generic and nothing I would watch if it didn't claim to be a Gundam show.
I've taken to Emily though, and want to see how she fares I guess I'm supposed to root for Yurin judging by popular opinion, but well..

Quote:
You don't see that in shows for 5-9 year olds...
Really? :s
Because when I was 5-9 years old, I watched The Roses of Versailles, Nadine and Sailor Moon and that totally was about war, sacrificing for the greater cause, death of loved ones and all that...
Shame that kids-shows nowadays have to be of the daft kind to qualify, would hate to be a kid today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic View Post
Ah, but in my opinion, the art-style shouldn't make that big of a difference if the emotional impact is well intended and delivered. Plenty of animated works with seemingly comedic designs have dealt with serious or darker themes.
I've noticed that disliking the art style is often dismissed by the defenders of AGE as a valid argument, but I'm not sure why... it's a visual media, and so of course it plays a role. Some people are bothered more by it than others. I've often dismissed a work because the style didn't appeal to me, and I see nothing wrong with that, after all I don't want to have to convince myself to like something I watch for entertainment
You're right though that some shows intentionally use a "cute" style to hide what the show really is about. The problem with Age though is that the style seems to rather be on the "cheap, generic" side of things (looks like any cheap shounen series, and wow the color schemes, gag-characters etc), and because of that, I can't blame people for finding fault there.

The thing with Age is that people are trying to give it a chance, despite the way it looks, and that's imo so far solely because it is a Gundam show.
I feel loads of people wouldn't have even glanced at this show, or given it more than 3 episodes, if it were a standalone series not affiliated with any franchise. If we're honest, nothing remarkable has happened that would've glued anyone to the screen or that would set this show apart from any other random generic super-robot show churned out by the industry.
I might be wrong, but it seems that AGE is scraping by using it's name as of right now... hopefully it will impress somehow during its run

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
My point exactly...If it was good kiddy show (like Yugioh i.e.), I'd be all for that...Might not like it, but I'd respect the fact that it was a true kids' show, but this show (which I still see as a kids' show), isn't kid show enuff...It wants to play all pockets, but there's no pool table in the middle, just the corners...
I think the mark of a good kids show is that loads of adults can appreciate it too without finding major faults with it. I don't even think AGE needed these designs or dumbed down storytelling to interest me, if I were a child. I'd much rather feel the show is taking me seriously and trying to tell me something, but I'm not getting any of that from Age.
I was watching Gundam Wing when I was a kid and I might not have understood everything, but I loved it, and it got me into the franchise, so I don't see the need to churn out a show aimed specifically at kids.... why show them something that's 10 times more lame than the rest?
Is the idea: "Come on kids, if you sit through 50 episodes of this and buy the model kits, you can all watch the GOOD shows after..."

The thing with Yugioh is, most of the original series was really good, some marketing strategies here and there for the game, but the plot and all was interesting. Age sort of reminds me of Yugioh GX in the respect that it was a bit of a dumbed down Yugioh. The difference is, GX started out awesome but became unwatchable later on, so my hope is, it will be the opposite with AGE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Often Gundam protagonists are pretty reluctant to join in the fighting, but Flit seems to be all about trying to be at the forefront of the fight against the UE and I've gotta say it's made him kind of a badass as far as I'm concerned.
That's interesting, as I usually like characters that "do what they need to do", but I didn't get the same impression from Flit... I thought his enthusiasm was more the typical shounen-protagonist kind of enthusiasm, and seemed misplaced, if not a bit unintentionally comical in a show that is trying to tell a serious story.

edit: Jesus, I'm hoping I won't get flamed at for criticizing this show ^^'' these are just some things that came to mind, no ill intentions...
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 18:13   Link #114
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post

I've noticed that disliking the art style is often dismissed by the defenders of AGE as a valid argument, but I'm not sure why... it's a visual media, and so of course it plays a role. Some people are bothered more by it than others. I've often dismissed a work because the style didn't appeal to me, and I see nothing wrong with that, after all I don't want to have to convince myself to like something I watch for entertainment
You're right though that some shows intentionally use a "cute" style to hide what the show really is about. The problem with Age though is that the style seems to rather be on the "cheap, generic" side of things (looks like any cheap shounen series, and wow the color schemes, gag-characters etc), and because of that, I can't blame people for finding fault there.
For me personally, the visual design of the character is secondary, provided that the emotive value of the character interaction and the plot comes through. I totally love watching the Simpsons, but I enjoy it for the clever writing, the witty humor and not necessarily the animation or character design (although it will be very, very hard to top an iconic character like Homer Simpson). While many have criticized the style in which AGE's characters are drawn, I can't agree that it's cheap or generic. The character animation is reasonably articulate and I can't recall a specific incident where we see QUALITY. With the exception of montages and flashbacks, we also see very little in terms of stock footage usage unlike some of the previous series.

Quote:
The thing with Age is that people are trying to give it a chance, despite the way it looks, and that's imo so far solely because it is a Gundam show.
I feel loads of people wouldn't have even glanced at this show, or given it more than 3 episodes, if it were a standalone series not affiliated with any franchise. If we're honest, nothing remarkable has happened that would've glued anyone to the screen or that would set this show apart from any other random generic super-robot show churned out by the industry.
I might be wrong, but it seems that AGE is scraping by using it's name as of right now... hopefully it will impress somehow during its run
Of course, it's a show that you watch because of the franchise. It's similar along the lines of Star Trek. While Star Trek (2009) is a stand-alone masterpiece, to fully appreciate the Trek universe, you can't watch it in isolation anymore than the abomination that was Star Trek V. I really can't think of any Gundam series that's a standalone masterpiece without having seen First Gundam (although some will argue that 0080: War in the Pocket would be an exception). Yes, some of the alternate universe Gundams have attracted lots of new fans, but I would surmise many of the newcomers will eventually be curious as to sample a bit of the main course (Universal Century). Most of the viewers in this forum go in with some measure of foreknowledge of what a Gundam story entails.

Quote:
I think the mark of a good kids show is that loads of adults can appreciate it too without finding major faults with it. I don't even think AGE needed these designs or dumbed down storytelling to interest me, if I were a child. I'd much rather feel the show is taking me seriously and trying to tell me something, but I'm not getting any of that from Age.
I was watching Gundam Wing when I was a kid and I might not have understood everything, but I loved it, and it got me into the franchise, so I don't see the need to churn out a show aimed specifically at kids.... why show them something that's 10 times more lame than the rest?
Is the idea: "Come on kids, if you sit through 50 episodes of this and buy the model kits, you can all watch the GOOD shows after..."
I'm totally in agreement with you on this point. Card Captor Sakura is my gold standard when it comes to universal entertainment, and there you won't see a dumbing down of things. With AGE, I don't think they are necessarily dumbing it down. I see it more as a symptom of lazy writing that lacks exposition.

Quote:
That's interesting, as I usually like characters that "do what they need to do", but I didn't get the same impression from Flit... I thought his enthusiasm was more the typical shounen-protagonist kind of enthusiasm, and seemed misplaced, if not a bit unintentionally comical in a show that is trying to tell a serious story.
It has never crossed me that his actions or intentions are comical. He's one of the most level-headed Gundam protagonist in a decade, and he's not harboring and acting out from emotional baggage despite the loss of his mother and homeland. If there's a character fault, you might be able to call him naive or idealistic.

Quote:
edit: Jesus, I'm hoping I won't get flamed at for criticizing this show ^^'' these are just some things that came to mind, no ill intentions...
No, keep them coming, discussions are great and you've raised some great points!
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 18:55   Link #115
james0246

Please cease and desist with this annoying meta-posting. If you cannot adequately defend a stance without resorting to cheap arguments concerning the subjective nature of the series (e.g. whether you "like" it or not), then do not respond. This is the final warning, and continued responses along these lines will result in an infraction with the potential for a brief ban.

Please feel free to discuss the series, its failings and its successes, but do not bring poster etiquette or other off-topic personal discussions into this thread.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 18:58   Link #116
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
For me personally, the visual design of the character is secondary, provided that the emotive value of the character interaction and the plot comes through. I totally love watching the Simpsons, but I enjoy it for the clever writing, the witty humor and not necessarily the animation or character design (although it will be very, very hard to top an iconic character like Homer Simpson). While many have criticized the style in which AGE's characters are drawn, I can't agree that it's cheap or generic. The character animation is reasonably articulate and I can't recall a specific incident where we see QUALITY. With the exception of montages and flashbacks, we also see very little in terms of stock footage usage unlike some of the previous series.
Well the criticism of AGE's drawing was a bit of a knee jerk reaction that came about as a result of designs being leaked far before the intended announcement. I don't think that's how Bandai intended for it to go down at all As for the designs themselves, they look pretty par for the course as far as Gundam is concerned. Gundam has always had some pretty simple character designs that seem to emphasize recognizability before uniqueness, while the majority of the creativity tends to go into the mecha designs for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Of course, it's a show that you watch because of the franchise. It's similar along the lines of Star Trek. While Star Trek (2009) is a stand-alone masterpiece, to fully appreciate the Trek universe, you can't watch it in isolation anymore than the abomination that was Star Trek V. I really can't think of any Gundam series that's a standalone masterpiece without having seen First Gundam (although some will argue that 0080: War in the Pocket would be an exception). Yes, some of the alternate universe Gundams have attracted lots of new fans, but I would surmise many of the newcomers will eventually be curious as to sample a bit of the main course (Universal Century). Most of the viewers in this forum go in with some measure of foreknowledge of what a Gundam story entails.
Exactly, I feel no shame in watching Gundam because it's called Gundam cause it happens to be my favorite anime franchise. I fail to see why I or anyone else should have to feel guilty for watching this show primarily because it has Gundam in the name.

As for me, my first Gundam franchise happened to be Wing and then when I learned about how big it was I went back to check out some of the U.C series and my appreciation and desire to learn as much about the franchise as possible only grew from there. I intend to watch and consume all Gundam works because as I have mentioned it's my favorite franchise that has rarely done me wrong in the past.

Quote:
I'm totally in agreement with you on this point. Card Captor Sakura is my gold standard when it comes to universal entertainment, and there you won't see a dumbing down of things. With AGE, I don't think they are necessarily dumbing it down. I see it more as a symptom of lazy writing that lacks exposition.
I fail to see how AGE is dumbing things down though. Perhaps the whole thing with Don Voyage's henchman can be considered an example of such a thing, but that's the only one I can think of. The rest of it just feels like they're taking a more super robot approach to Gundam than usually, which to be honest I was kind of expecting from the get go when they said they were trying to appeal more to kids.

Quote:
It has never crossed me that his actions or intentions are comical. He's one of the most level-headed Gundam protagonist in a decade, and he's not harboring and acting out from emotional baggage despite the loss of his mother and homeland. If there's a character fault, you might be able to call him naive or idealistic.
Completely agree with this. Nothing more to say.
Old 2011-12-20, 19:46   Link #117
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Hey man everyone's doing it so I'm clearly in a VERY small minority that just wants to try and enjoy the show for what it is and waiting till the very end to give a full on critique.

Clearly not going to win this one since everyone hates the show and that's all they want
I continue to see it two ways though when it comes to the show being called Gundam. A lot of people are watching it only cause it has Gundam in the title, but I have zero doubt in my mind that a lot of people are going further out of their way to be critical of it for that same reason.
aww, I think you might be taking the critics a bit too seriously.. critique doesn't equal hate: if we're gonna talk about a show, we're gonna talk about what we like and, well, what we didn't like. And that doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing, what's wrong with people saying something didn't work for them? In turn there will probably be something they DID enjoy And it's a weekly release, so while it's technically only 1/5 into the show, it's also been 2 1/2 months, of course people want to see some substance at this point. Other shows (dare I say more capable writers?) can flesh out a world and characters in less than half that time.

Personally, I'd love to discuss something else about the show- but so far the only things that caught my attention are:
to see if Emily will man up, and if they resolve the Emily-Flit-Yurin thing well, or if it will be a Seed- type debacle. I'm probably in the minority with not liking Yurin this episode: I was looking forward to her return as I initially really liked her, but this seemed forced, in a typical Gundam romance kind of way and I enjoyed it less than I had hoped.
I'd also like to see more about Woolf, but really I'm just hoping for Asem's arc to be a massive step up- it HAS to be..

Oh, and what's the deal with the UE- if it's the speculation that they're from the future, I'll be disappointed as it's basically just a lamer re-telling of
Spoiler for square enix iphone game:

Quote:
I agree, the designs only have to fit the show. The Simpsons works because it has this style AND writing. Now imagine the designs of the Simpsons on, say, the storyboard of Madoka Magica... The issue with Age's designs is that people have come to expect something more appropriate, so less Beyblade meets Detective Conan kids and more elaborate design of the serious-looking kind rather than plastic and clashing colors. I mean just compare Grodek to, say Bright... or Murrue.
And after having mechanics like Mileina, I'm guessing Vargas just isn't doing it for people
Add to that how the battles aren't visually impressive, the characters flat so far and the flawed writing, and you've alienated a lot of people, as you've taken out almost everything they expected from a Gundam show.
And personally, I'm finding it hard to take the characters seriously, as they just look so silly. I mean, Dique, for real?

Quote:
Of course, it's a show that you watch because of the franchise. It's similar along the lines of Star Trek. While Star Trek (2009) is a stand-alone masterpiece, to fully appreciate the Trek universe, you can't watch it in isolation anymore than the abomination that was Star Trek V.
I know loads of people who only saw Star Trek 2009- and loved it- a lot of which probably didn't watch any of the old stuff after, some did. That's the way to revive a franchise, by bringing something visually stunning that appeals to the crowd. Not by appointing some dude you found somewhere on your payroll to churn out a series that will surely alienate existing fans and has little to attract new fans.

As with Gundam, I agree: since it's a series and sticks with you for way longer than a movie, you will eventually watch the old stuff if you decide you liked it enough to stick with it for 50 episodes.

Quote:
CCS is a great example, and so are Clamp: Get someone who does amazing adult stories to do a kids show- win.
Or an equally prolific kids writer... it's not as if Bandai didn't have the means to do it, that's why it's weird...
Tbh I think it's both lazy writing and dumbing down though, there's silly plot holes and then there's "Ok kids, today we're going to become mutineers, that's not very nice, but we're all ok with this (except one guy who gave in pretty easily). Our only evidence that this is right is some shady dude who is emotionally compromised and hell-bent on revenge and a little kid backing him up. That sounds like a great reason to be executed as traitors for.We'll explain this stuff in the grown up shows, so stay tuned"
it's a bit like Gundam for Dummies or something

Quote:
Oh, I agree, he is refreshing in the way that he doesn't whine all the time, and I like him reasonably well. But I find it weird how he readily goes and fights, no qualms, no thoughts, just fun being in a the big robot TOY with the nice gun and the shiny tech. He even defends the technology of his Gundam to Woolf as if he were a kid on a playground talking about his "supaah awesome new shiny blue eyes white dragON!!!111 card" :s
I had this impression that he's playing war and sometimes being the big moral guy spewing idealism and love, and the next second he's some genius kid. It's a bit weird.
Quote:
No, keep them coming, discussions are great and you've raised some great points!
Glad to hear, I'm not out to ruffle any feathers

Last edited by Faerie; 2011-12-20 at 19:48. Reason: typo ^^'
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 20:19   Link #118
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Personally, I'd love to discuss something else about the show- but so far the only things that caught my attention are:
to see if Emily will man up, and if they resolve the Emily-Flit-Yurin thing well, or if it will be a Seed- type debacle. I'm probably in the minority with not liking Yurin this episode: I was looking forward to her return as I initially really liked her, but this seemed forced, in a typical Gundam romance kind of way and I enjoyed it less than I had hoped.
I'd also like to see more about Woolf, but really I'm just hoping for Asem's arc to be a massive step up- it HAS to be..
You know what's funny, usually in modern anime it always seems to be the Male lead that we want to see man up and become a proper hero, but Gundam AGE has sort of turned it around a bit by making the female lead the one that starts off somewhat immature and doesn't quite get the big picture, but honestly I think she's already managed to get there after the talk with Madorna's girl. Honestly can't recall her making a scene ever since that point and she just seems to have accepted that Flit if going to be a part of this fight and to allow him to do what he wants and support him in any way she can rather than trying to intervene on his behalf.
Old 2011-12-20, 20:43   Link #119
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie
Oh, I agree, he is refreshing in the way that he doesn't whine all the time, and I like him reasonably well. But I find it weird how he readily goes and fights, no qualms, no thoughts, just fun being in a the big robot TOY with the nice gun and the shiny tech. He even defends the technology of his Gundam to Woolf as if he were a kid on a playground talking about his "supaah awesome new shiny blue eyes white dragON!!!111 card" :s
I had this impression that he's playing war and sometimes being the big moral guy spewing idealism and love, and the next second he's some genius kid. It's a bit weird.
I don't think he's "playing" war. He knows why he wants to do this and he also minds the (daunting) responsibility that the adults have given him.

The way he's different is because he's one of those soldiers (?) who views his enemies as mindless monsters/aliens. The enemy is demonized enough that he does not have hesitations fighting.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 20:51   Link #120
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
I don't think he's "playing" war. He knows why he wants to do this and he also minds the (daunting) responsibility that the adults have given him.

The way he's different is because he's one of those soldiers (?) who views his enemies as mindless monsters/aliens. The enemy is demonized enough that he does not have hesitations fighting.
The previous episode even made it a point that Flit is struggling with the point of EU being human or not, and Grodek quite heavily stating that, no matter what they may look like, they are not human. Flit is running on a blissful ignorance of sorts, blinded by the same thirst for vengeance that is gripping our fine captain. He's a toy soldier and Grodek is keeping him on that path.

Tags
weekly episode discussion