AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-08-17, 18:29   Link #1
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

The most underrated and overrated series writer?

I feel time and time again, Makoto Uezu is very underappreciated as a script writer mostly adapting a series or visual novel. Whatever he wrote often becomes popular enough but he, himself doesn't get enough credit like Mari Okada or Gen Urobouchi. I often feel that Makoto Uezu is a little better at what he does than these two. It seems that the only reason he doesn't get many recognition is, he doesn't have the characteristics that makes him compelling to talk about. I guess most things he writes are quite pedestrian. Do you agree or do you have someone else in mind?

Mari Okada is known for decent scripts but often puts a very feminine touch on the male characters while Gen Urobouchi puts a tragic spin on any series he works with. While the both of them does does admirable job at world building and making the characters, I like Makoto Uezu's characters for simply being charming.

I was watching Utawarerumono and was quite impressed at how the plot progresses smoothly. It's like Space Brothers but set in fictional fantasy world filled with characters that have dog ears. However, storywise, they were both similar. The both main characters have the honest and down-to-earth quality while secondary characters were so far charming and comical. Since I'm still just starting, no villains showed up yet but still I definitely wasn't bored at all. It's like a gentle curve and interesting things happening along the way with decent build up to make some emotional but satisfying conclusion.

While he might have some failures along the way, with so many works he does, not everything should be perfect. Another thing I want to mention is that he seems to be versatile, he can work with any emotional themes, granted some people may not like his sense of humour but I find most of his work better than certain series I won't name. I guess I understand the reason School days have to be his most well-known work but honestly, I can't help but say that it does nothing but discrediting his work. While he sometimes may put some shock into the series but I like that he doesn't really try too hard to evoke some emotions from the audiences.

As for overrated writer, the only one comes in my mind is Hiroyuki Yoshino. I have to wonder how does he keep getting work. At least he needs some assistance. He does all around poor job at writing the protagonists and especially bad at writing the villains. Watching the series he's responsible for feels like a chore. I'm having a hard time trying to think of series that he's done I liked. Everytime he gets work, I'm one of the others that has to roll my eyes.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 05:05   Link #2
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I feel time and time again, Makoto Uezu is very underappreciated as a script writer mostly adapting a series or visual novel. Whatever he wrote often becomes popular enough but he, himself doesn't get enough credit like Mari Okada or Gen Urobouchi. I often feel that Makoto Uezu is a little better at what he does than these two. It seems that the only reason he doesn't get many recognition is, he doesn't have the characteristics that makes him compelling to talk about. I guess most things he writes are quite pedestrian. Do you agree or do you have someone else in mind?
Uezu is mainly involved with adaptations (the reputation of his work is spotty, although the comedies directed by Seiji Kishi have been well received). While that's an important skill, writers don't tend to get much attention until they've helmed a popular anime original title.

Assessment isn't easy either because much of the story and character work comes straight from the source. The scriptwriter can't take credit for what he/she didn't create.

Quote:
As for overrated writer, the only one comes in my mind is Hiroyuki Yoshino. I have to wonder how does he keep getting work.
Commercial success. With Mai-Hime, Mai-Otome, Macross F, and Guilty Crown under his belt, Yoshino has a proven track record. Association with Code Geass and Gundam doesn't hurt either.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 05:49   Link #3
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
As for overrated writer, the only one comes in my mind is Hiroyuki Yoshino. I have to wonder how does he keep getting work. At least he needs some assistance. He does all around poor job at writing the protagonists and especially bad at writing the villains. Watching the series he's responsible for feels like a chore. I'm having a hard time trying to think of series that he's done I liked. Everytime he gets work, I'm one of the others that has to roll my eyes.
Not really sure if he's overrated, but I must say, this writer seems to write what I consider the opposite of everything I look in a good anime-- basically an overload of black and white morality, plot holes that would sink a ship, and insulting fanservice that ruins otherwise potentially sensual (aka good fanservice) situations and some of the worst male characters I've ever seen (And yes, I know Okada's mentioned already ) He seems to be his own worst enemy, since there are good ideas and concepts of characters but they just get ruined by the above. It seems work with him involved has better female characters and cliffhangers seems to be common.

Well, this didn't always seem to be true. Mai-HiME was great in spite of these tendencies though though then the end part came and whatever goodwill I had with that was thrown out the window when they shit out Otome. But IMO it seems that what elements of what I perceive as degradation in his writing starting with the tail end of Hime/and later Otome finally reached fruition in Guilty Crown, and god damn, it's ugly. I could go on about some others but I've done that enough already.

My opinion of course; I'm sure plenty of unnamed writers are worse. Also, it's hard to attibute everything about a show to single staff member. They aren't exactly free to write whatever they want, and exectuive meddling and other restrictions apply. But like I've always said, you take responsibility for something when you attach your name.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-08-18 at 06:06.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 08:50   Link #4
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

The other writers may be worse but don't get as many jobs as this guy gets, what is baffling is potentially a big anime with humongous production value. Seems that Sunrise employs this guy a lot because they do know this guy is golden goose. I wasn't too fond of Sunrise anyway but I guess Japanese Otakus dig the production company for obvious reason and some other, probably a lot of them, Gundam and Gintama fans.

Even if there are restrictions, I'm sure every series adapters and writers suffer from the same pressures and prodings from the producers. While many anime suffered from lack of character developments, Hiroyuki Yoshino has some freaking extensive track record for poor characters. Well since I haven't seen My Hime nor Otome, I cannot judge it but seen a number of anime from him, I found them barely watchable, at least I found a few anime I'm surprised I like but not often does it happen.

While I do know everything in anime is supposed to be fantasy but some writers like him take the advantage of that idea too much and just run with it whether the series is barely consistent or not.

If there's anything I cannot stand in anime is black and white morality like you since the characters are the ones most likely the major focus in the anime. Their motivations and agendas matter to me more than anything. Watching the Guilty Crown was terrible and I stopped after ep03. All I saw were the eye candy and basically paperweights moving around. At least now I understand just how fickle to please the otakus.

I.e. my idea of underrated and overrated was not really specifically the writers themselves but if the anime that they wrote becomes the topic of discussion often or not.
Old 2012-08-18, 11:49   Link #5
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Oh boy *cracks knuckles* hmmm for overrated I've probably gotta go with NisiOisin to start. This guy bothers me to no end with his writing styles and I simply do not feel he can write dialogue that doesn't immediately digress into irrelevant overly long babbling when he could easily cut his average dialogue between characters down to a paragraph or two since nobody is typically talking about anything interesting or important.

Also he can't seem to write female characters that aren't completely insufferable on some or manly levels, be it by them being written in such a way that they are unabashedly loved by all despite glaring and very up front personality flaws, overly aggressive and powerful for no reason other than to generate laughs as they emasculate the male characters with confidence in their abilities, overly sexualized such they he can make really bad jokes about the male characters inner perversions and how they're seducing them, and worst of all there's typically very little that redeems them other than the plots desperate attempt to have them come across as desirable to the audience in some way....usually sexually as opposed to personality or development wise.

All of the above pales in comparison to the fact that this guy just thinks he's really clever, when IMO he's just really not. Everything about this guys style just comes off as prentious and undesirable to me in the extreme save maybe the fanservice which is honestly the one thing I think he's truly creative with depicting a dubious honor to be sure.

Also have to add Mari Okada for pretty similar reasons to Nisio, though subtract the charge of pretention and add in that she can't seem to write a likeable male character either half the time in her apparent haste to have them be as weak-willed and get emasculated at some point. Not sure if that's worse than Nisio's having the confident male emasculated through nonsensical BS or not to be honest.

As for underrated writers, this is going to be slightly controversial, but hear me out please folks. I'm going to say Hiroyuki Yoshino, but only just ever so slightly and only in relation to one area of his writing. Don't get me wrong I totally agree that the guy simply cannot write anything other than the most black and white scenarios at times when given full control of the story, his writing for women also comes across as incredibly mysogynistic at times, but one area in which he's underrated I think is generating intrigue. Simply put the man will stop at absolutely nothing to keep the viewers interest and is actually pretty damn good when it comes to the internal pacing of an episode and leaving off on a suitable cliffhanger to keep the audiences interest for next week, it's the inter-episode pacing where he really suffers greatly, though that's more a problem for the original series he's written. Doesn't make him a good writer, but it makes him not all bad since I know what his intentions are and that he just needs to be reigned in like the afformentioned. The only reason I say underrated is that I've never seen this acknowledged by others.

Perhaps another less controversial example is in order though so I'm going to say Hiroshi Ohnogi. Who? Well he's the one of the writers for the new Yamato 2199 anime and a DAMN good sci-fi writer that usually ends up in the shadow of his larger than life directors (Tomino with Zeta Gundam, Mizushima with FMA, Ishigoro with Orguss, Kawamori with Macross Zero), but nonetheless IMO is a big part of the reason for why those shows are so enduring for sci-fi fans such as myself. Not exactly a household name though and I doubt anybody's going to be chucking his name into the equation like Urobuchi or Kawahara Reki these days.

Quote:
The other writers may be worse but don't get as many jobs as this guy gets, what is baffling is potentially a big anime with humongous production value. Seems that Sunrise employs this guy a lot because they do know this guy is golden goose. I wasn't too fond of Sunrise anyway but I guess Japanese Otakus dig the production company for obvious reason and some other, probably a lot of them, Gundam and Gintama fans.
Yoshino's only been involved as a writer in one Gundam series and it was one of the least popular ever on Western shores amidst the Gundam fandom (okay they're all the least popular now amidst the Gundam Ragedom, but hear me out lol) in Seed Destiny. Yoshino has never worked on a single episode of Gintama. Also I wouldn't really describe myself as a hardcore otaku, but it's no secret that I really dig Sunrise's productions. The reason for this is they are about the only company I feel is consistently treating the sci-fi/fantasy genre (my not so secret favorite) with the respect it deserves in the 21st century and that by god they know how to make a show fun and interesting most of the time. They're obviously not for everybody though as I can think of no other multi-format production company besides maybe A-1 that is so capable of capturing the attention of cross-genre fandom, but making about half of them bitterly angry by the time all is said and done.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 13:10   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I largely agree with Kaioshin on NisiOisin and Yoshino.

I think that NisiOisin is a good writer, but I think his strengths are slightly overrated and his weaknesses tend to get more of a pass than what the weaknesses of most writers get. NisiOisin is good at witty dialogue, but he occasionally overdoes it. And his overall plots are rarely anything to write home about, imo.

Now, Yoshino has some definite flaws as a writer, but I also think there's some important things that he "gets" which is why his anime works are pretty consistently commercial successes. I think Yoshino is very good at synthesizing together a veritable potpourri of diverse/popular anime tropes in a way that makes it look good and cool. I also think he's good at that high drama "edge of your seat" writing, as we see with his cliffhangers. Yoshino's shows often don't seem that good in retrospect, but there's a certain intrigue that he puts into his shows that makes it hard to break away from them while they're still ongoing. A Yoshino-wrote show is usually "an experience", be it good or bad.
Old 2012-08-18, 16:00   Link #7
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well, indeed Mr. Yoshino doesn't seem devoid of talent at all, but this is also why I get particularly annoyed when he umm... does shit. But then again Mai-HiME had an enormous cast that was managed well, and that is no easy feat. (Look at Nanoha StrikerS, an anime of the same length and a established background already for contrast) For an extreme example, see DBZ, where the author can't even remember some characters.

In a way, he's actually similar to the infamous Mari Okada. They both write significantly worse male characters. I'll let Shu off the hook, but come on... Tate... there's no defending this guy. Ironically, the Mai Otome manga, of what he is the author, would make Okada extremely jealous.

Spoiler:

However, when kept under checks or provided with a source, they seem to do fine. I notice they both seem to be best at writing attractive, strong women. (Mai-HiME was chock full of these.) Surely, he can't get credit for creating Snow Black from Accel World, but given the base of a character, and she simply rocked. It fell straight in with his talents. I should watch Macross Frontier.

On the other hand, when either of them go wild, you get some really really silly things, to say the least. Both of them worked on Fractale. Does anyone remember that?

But yea, in my opinion they certainly have had better times (Mai Hime, True Tears). Note that Mai HiME wasn't as big of a sales hit, compared to Otome. Shall I rephrase? In their current state, it's pretty much the opposite of what I want.

I also have to agree with Kaioshin somewhat on NisiOisin. The witty banter is amusing at times, but I think the overindulgence and clouds of smug tend to dampen any sort of cleverness that pops out. He's generally the opposite of the above. He writes good male characters, but his female characters, well... umm they're sort of the opposite of what I consider good ones and some come off as too much of a sexual fantasy and not enough depth, rather just objects of desirability. >.> And this is coming from someone who loves Kuroneko from Oreimo, and she is a basically a nerd's fantasy.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-08-18, 16:05   Link #8
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
oshino's shows often don't seem that good in retrospect, but there's a certain intrigue that he puts into his shows that makes it hard to break away from them while they're still ongoing. A Yoshino-wrote show is usually "an experience", be it good or bad.
Or some people drop them precious "experiences" right quick...?

What, you think everybody who watched Guilty Crown episode 1 stuck around for episode 3 or, oh dear, the end?

Also, can anyone explain to me, in straightforward English terms, preferably with concrete examples, what the hell is the male emasculation thing you are all talking about? This is apparently a thread to criticize writers, so by the gods please follow the holy writers' code and stop acting like a bunch of Deconstructionists! Tell it like it is, if you can.

I will ignore the overrated/underrated thing and the problem of proper writing credits in a "team" production for sanity's sake.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 18:00   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Or some people drop them precious "experiences" right quick...?

What, you think everybody who watched Guilty Crown episode 1 stuck around for episode 3 or, oh dear, the end?
Well, I've very rarely seen so many people highly critical of a show follow it right to the bitter end. Sure, some people dropped it before then, but there's a lot that didn't seem to like it and yet they didn't seem to be able to pull themselves away from it. Especially for a two cour show, this stands out to me.

So I think that Yoshino may be better than most anime writers at making his show's... addictive, perhaps you could say.

Quote:
Also, can anyone explain to me, in straightforward English terms, preferably with concrete examples, what the hell is the male emasculation thing you are all talking about?
It's more a criticism of Mari Okada in particular than of anime as whole (the growing criticism with anime as a whole is that male characters tend to get short-changed development-wise in certain types of anime shows, but not necessarily emasculated). And even with Okada, it's not evident in every show she writes, just some.

Here are two posts I wrote on the topic of emasculation in Hanasaku Iroha.
Old 2012-08-18, 18:00   Link #10
webkid94
*Author

No one's mentioned Yousuke Kuroda: damn, this guy can can do pretty much any genre of anime like:
--Action (Hellsing Ultimate)
--Romance (Ano Natsu de Matteru)
--Mecha (Gundam 00)
--Slice of Life (Honey and Clover)
--Ecchi/Harem (Maken-ki)
--Sports (Ookiku Furikabutte)
--Comedy (Hayate season 2)
--Horror (Highschool of the Dead)
--Drama/Suspense (Phantom Requiem of the Phantom)

Sure some of those were solid to begin with but Ano Natsu was one that was an anime original and the writing was really balanced. Some aren't the best (HOTD),but that too can be attributed to original writer but literally anything with his name on it, I usually really enjoy. Well except that Gundam 00 movie (what Gundam 00 movie?).

Okada's all over the place - from stereotyping transgenders
Spoiler for small ano hana spoiler:
and that scene with Kou in Hanasaku Iroha and then a show about kids and gender identity, Hourou Musuko. When she has free reign, this woman is insane. That ANN article stating that Ano Hana was supposed to be a harem ecchi was her idea but got shot down in favor of a friendship theme. This proves if she can be checked thoroughly, she can do pretty good like with Hourou Musuko a manga that truly deserves a thoughtful adaptation, and from the director of Fate/Zero of all people...

Yoshino is awful. Anyone realize he created Seikon no Qwaser? It's like this guy hates women or feels inferior to them. Awful, just awful. Combined with the director of Death Note (Who likes Misa?) and Highschool of the Dead (don't even get me started), they made almost every female in Guilty Crown except Ayase into some hollow shell with their only purpose being fanservice: example Tsugumi's...butt..on pushing.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 18:35   Link #11
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I guess in a way, Otakus are to blame for studio's frequent decision to hire these two writers. I guess Yoshino's scripts just fulfill their inner fantasy. In that sense, they are comprised of masochists who don't really mind watching the same old thing again and again as long as the picture is pretty.

I also have to say I like Jukki Hanada's adaptations who's been doing it for long time and does a real solid job. This guy can also make hits and infinitely more watchable and compelling. Honestly I'm not too keen on Steins Gate anime but I like it enough to rewatch it again someday.
Old 2012-08-18, 18:36   Link #12
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, I've very rarely seen so many people highly critical of a show follow it right to the bitter end. Sure, some people dropped it before then, but there's a lot that didn't seem to like it and yet they didn't seem to be able to pull themselves away from it. Especially for a two cour show, this stands out to me.
That may actually be a sample bias. I propose an alternate hypothesis -- which I have no intention of defending because it's a pain -- that many first day watchers did indeed drop it soon after, and what you're seeing is Kaioshin (no hard feelings man ) and others who either have various reasons, perhaps even compulsion, to stick to the end, and that they are generally more vocal than people like me who signed off and never looked back.

If you're really curious you can even do some statistical analysis -- how many posters posted in the Guilty Crown common thread + forum, how many continued to do so at episode so and so, how much activity the forum had at date so and so, and how much of the continuing negative criticism belonged to the same users. I'm not going to do that of course.

Plus, it can be fun to be a hatedom. Even I indulge in it from time to time. Doesn't mean we have to think Yoshino-san is in any way underrated because he likes that cliffhanger twist trick of his. Getting people to rage at stuff is incredibly easy, if anything that's the overrated thing, and if that's the case all the trolls in the world are just underrated writers, which...no, they aren't.

Quote:
Here are two posts I wrote on the topic of emasculation in Hanasaku Iroha.
Got it, so basically the "emasculation" thing is a perception that Mari Okada's writing tends towards misandry or at least a failure to create "role model" male characters in comparison to her female ones. Or in simple English terms her boys are wimps while her girls rock the world.

But really why the catchy, Freudian term? Emasculation sounds like someone just made eunuchs out of men. Too phallic.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 18:50   Link #13
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I think it goes beyond having a negative view of male characters or portraying them as ineffectual. These things aren't bad in themselves, actually. It's fine for someone to be weak, or ineffective, or stupid. It's all part of being human.

The problem is the lack of empathy that is meant to be generated for them because all their flaws are for comedic purposes. This added in with a lack of depth, gives off a very jarring vibe. For example

Spoiler for AnoHana:

The term emasculation is used because the traditional way to demean male members of certain minority groups by downplaying their "manhood". Because society is still male dominated, associating them with non-traditional masculine traits is the norm. For example, one can just think of all the slurs towards homosexual males and why the camp gay stereotype is especially offensive. People still think gay = feminine, still, but that's not necessarily true at all. Regardless, calling someone a fag in the United States is one of the most offensive things currently.

And this is also sexist, because it assumes feminine traits are bad and, effectively weak.

Demeaning people for not following gender roles, is not cool, basically. You may insert in your random anime where random spineless male lead gets their ass beaten in for no real reason, and it's okay because they're a guy.

If character flaws or weakness were viewed as a vehicle for development and not just for comedy, then this wouldn't happen. But as we've seen in shows like Hana Saku Iroha, most of the male characters are just punching bags for comedy and have minimal development or interests. And Okada didn't even let go of Beanman!

And let's not even start on what happened in Lupin.

Spoiler:

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-08-18, 20:49   Link #14
Kirarakim

Well I don't know about underrated because he hasn't written much but after Tsuritama they need to give Oono Toshiya more scripts.

I also love when Fuyumi Ono's works get adapted. Twelve Kingdoms is my favorite but both Ghost Hunt and Shiki were very solid works.

I also wish Yoshitoshi ABe would do a new work.

But basically I just think the anime industry needs to expand a bit. When you get the same writers to keep writing stuff than there is a lack of different voices and everything starts sounding the same. It gets boring after awhile.

Oh and Guilty Crown...dropped that one by episode 5 and I think I stuck around too long
Old 2012-08-19, 01:46   Link #15
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Tsuritama was an extremely personal story for Oono Toshiya, but if it's an indication of what else he's capable of, bring it on - it's a magnificent piece of writing. I would also list Aikawa Shou as an underrated writer, because I think most of the criticism he receives is because he doesn't tend to dumb down his stuff to make a series accessible. I have no problem calling Uezu Makoto underrated as well.

Yoshino Hiroyuki is self-evidently overrated for me, but given the massive imbalance of sales to talent, it would be hard to top Nisio Isin. His stuff is about the most insufferable, self-indulgent and pretentious writing in anime for many a year.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 04:19   Link #16
Westlo
Lets be reality

Why is NisiOisin even being mentioned in this thread? This thread is clearly talking about anime writers not light novel writers since we're in General Anime not Manga and Light novels. if you want to shit on Nisio go make a thread in that forum. Oh wait he wrote the script for Medaka Box Episode 12, clearly justifies his place in this thread. And it's not like his best received novels haven't even been turned into anime yet or nothing...

Overrated is easily Okada, underrated is Kuroda and Ohnogi. Also don't know why people are saying Hiroyuki Yoshino is overrated. who the heck actually rates him highly in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
However, when kept under checks or provided with a source, they seem to do fine. I notice they both seem to be best at writing attractive, strong women. (Mai-HiME was chock full of these.) Surely, he can't get credit for creating Snow Black from Accel World, but given the base of a character, and she simply rocked. It fell straight in with his talents. I should watch Macross Frontier.
I have to totally give him credit for Sheryl Nome... but he totally dropped the ball with Ranka Lee... but yeah Sheryl played to his strengths... but watching Frontier will show you a lot of his flaws as a writer as well... especially the non triangle ending when the damn thing was emphasized so much throughout. (but need that hook for the movies right)

Also Hime sold more than Otome.

Last edited by Westlo; 2012-08-19 at 04:34.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 04:26   Link #17
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I have to totally give him credit for Sheryl Nome... but he totally dropped the ball with Ranka Lee... but yeah Sheryl played to his strengths... but watching Frontier will show you a lot of his flaws as a writer as well... especially the non triangle ending when the damn thing was emphasized so much throughout. (but need that hook for the movies right)

Also Hime sold more than Otome.
Well, that really gives me something to take note of when I get to Frontier. And yea, overrated being Yoshino made me a bit confused too.

Oh and Hime sold more? Well, I've been misled, but that's still pleasing to know.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-08-19, 04:39   Link #18
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Oh and Hime sold more? Well, I've been misled, but that's still pleasing to know.
I think Hime was like 99xx and Otome was 89xx so it wasn't by a massive margin or anything. Would've been depressing if Otome had outsold Hime though since like most "sequels" it wasn't as good as the original. Hime had it's fair share of problems too but was enjoyable enough.. Otome... well it had a good soundtrack!

The OVA prequels to Otome dropped in sales like a rock IIRC though.

Quote:
And yea, overrated being Yoshino made me a bit confused too.
Yeah it totally confused me, would be like seeing a Michael Bay is overrated in a thread on movie directors.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 06:07   Link #19
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Why is NisiOisin even being mentioned in this thread? This thread is clearly talking about anime writers not light novel writers since we're in General Anime not Manga and Light novels. if you want to shit on Nisio go make a thread in that forum. Oh wait he wrote the script for Medaka Box Episode 12, clearly justifies his place in this thread. And it's not like his best received novels haven't even been turned into anime yet or nothing...
I'm assuming you're talking about Zaregoto. Not sure if that's ever going to get adapted at this point...

As for Mari Okada, yeh, she's probably overrated but I'll call her more inconsistent than anything. Every director, screenwriter or animator has a stinker or two in their resume, but Okada whether it be the fact she's not good at every genre despite what the industry thinks of her or the fact she's taking up way too much work compared to other writers, seems to be have more bombs in terms of pure volume than any other recent writer. I mean she scripted for series such as True Tears, Hanasaku Iroha and Ano Hana which or more less solid series, but at the same time wrote for Fractal, Black Rock Shooter and Aquarion EVOL which were atrocities. I don't even think it's a matter of her tendency to "emasculate" male characters, at this point I think she's not a good writer when it comes to genres outside of Drama set in real world settings.

I also concur with the people that query about Hiroyuki Yoshino being overrated. If anything, he gets what he deserves (i.e. lots of criticism) since he consistently writes bad anime-original material. Mai-Hime, Otome, Guilty Crown and co-wrote Fractal and Code Geass R2. Need I say more? Also not sure how much I should credit Macross Frontier to this guy considering the Macross franchise has always been Shoji Kawamori's baby and he also directed it.

As for underrated writers, no idea other than the fact I don't think Kuroda is underrated. He already got the Animation Kobe Award in 2003 (Okada got hers in 2011 and is only the second writer to do so) so he's already known. A big award like that means his achievements have already been recognised. Plus the only thing recent thing I note is that he wrote was Ano Natsu de Matteru, which was good but not fantastic imo.

I only referenced anime originals for the writers by the way, since adaptations should be credited more towards the original source creator or else it'll completely debunk what I said about Okada and Yoshino. Plus, I think it's the directors that are more important in this regard when it comes to adaptations.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 06:23   Link #20
Triple_R
*Author

I just see Okada as polarizing, at this point. Maybe a year ago she was overrated, but I've seen opinion on Okada really change a lot over the past year or so. I think Okada gets as much hate as she does praise now. And that's probably as it should be - She's done some very nice work, but she's done a lot of stinkers too.