AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-03-08, 04:48   Link #5961
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
You're forgetting that these are mobile suits with onboard computers. Your mobile suit's computer will identify an ally/enemy's mobile suit faster than you can see the insignia on the mobile suit's left shoulder, which can only be seen from the front side.
While this is true, does it really matter? Pilots do like putting personal things on their machines, to show their connection to said machine or in some cases being purely cosmetic. Sometimes they do serve a ID purpose even in the modern age of computers (for example nation flags painted on their planes)

Personally I like these touches in most cases, sometimes I prefer the stuff plain but most of the time I like these insignia's/numbers/decals, just to spice things up and add an extra level of cool to it
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 05:01   Link #5962
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
While this is true, does it really matter? Pilots do like putting personal things on their machines, to show their connection to said machine or in some cases being purely cosmetic. Sometimes they do serve a ID purpose even in the modern age of computers (for example nation flags painted on their planes)

Personally I like these touches in most cases, sometimes I prefer the stuff plain but most of the time I like these insignia's/numbers/decals, just to spice things up and add an extra level of cool to it
I agree with this too.

If I were to compare things, Destiny’s red-blue-white-yellow color-scheme is much sillier than a mere FAITH insignia. So, if you’re okay with Destiny’s color, why would you be troubled by a single simple insignia on one of its shoulders?
Old 2013-03-08, 05:18   Link #5963
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I never said that insignias are only needed to take over the command.
I never said you did.
Quote:
In this specific case, “FAITH” insignia will be useful during emergency situations (where system fails) to let the FAITH MS and its pilot to do what he has to without any interruption from lower-ranked ZAFT members. Sure, confirmation is needed when an “unknown pilot” of a FAITH MS wanted to take command, but we’re speaking emergency here where eveything must be done fast or it’s too late and the system is failing (eg. making them unable to confirm something).
To be honest, I don't see the kind of situation you're thinking of is likely to happen. If a mobile suit is too damaged to even identify another mobile suit, I don't think it will pose any problem.
Quote:
The fact that not everybody can access FAITH MS except for the “right” person chosen by Durandal also help things.
And what makes a FAITH MS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
While this is true, does it really matter?
Objectively? No. But subjectively, it looks silly to me and I prefer that Destiny doesn't have it. It looks better as it is.
Quote:
That's cool.
Quote:
If I were to compare things, Destiny’s red-blue-white-yellow color-scheme is much sillier than a mere FAITH insignia. So, if you’re okay with Destiny’s color, why would you be troubled by a single simple insignia on one of its shoulders?
A conditioned response? It's been a staple of Gundam, after all. That doesn't mean I have to like every design choice.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 05:24   Link #5964
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Calm the f*ck down people. It's just promo picture.
As if they are going to re do all the shots of Destiny with the insignia on it..
Old 2013-03-08, 05:26   Link #5965
monster

Hey, I think we're calm.
Old 2013-03-08, 05:35   Link #5966
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

This is the BG on Fukuda's Twitter:

Look at SF.. He just likes to put random stuff on his mobile suits, thats all.

Edit: and now we know when it's streaming:

Last edited by kaito-kid; 2013-03-08 at 05:52.
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 05:39   Link #5967
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
To be honest, I don't see the kind of situation you're thinking of is likely to happen. If a mobile suit is too damaged to even identify another mobile suit, I don't think it will pose any problem.
For example: communication/link failure, corrupted database, but the MSs can still operational. No other choice but to go on manual.

Quote:
And what makes a FAITH MS?
Those MSs given by Durandal to the FAITH members (so far there’s only Saviour, Legend, and Destiny IIRC). Not every ZAFT officer is familiar with the said MSs, so an insignia will help even a little (especially during emergency).

Quote:
A conditioned response? It's been a staple of Gundam, after all. That doesn't mean I have to like every design choice.
I never said you should. Just wondering about your "pet peeve".

@kaito-kid: I think both monster and I are calm. And nice dress on Lacus there. Her "assets" are still big as ever. What the hell happened during the peaceful times that made them that big? XD
Old 2013-03-08, 06:12   Link #5968
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Didn't the faith insignia sticker come with the MG model?
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 07:57   Link #5969
monster

Quote:
For example: communication/link failure, corrupted database, but the MSs can still operational. No other choice but to go on manual.
Anything is possible, I suppose, but I still don't think such cases are necessarily solved by an insignia. For anyone to even hinder a member of FAITH in a case where they're not able to verify anything, that member would have to be doing something that warrants attention, in which case an insignia would still not be the way to bring up trust.
Quote:
Not every ZAFT officer is familiar with the said MSs
Which is why an insignia is pretty useless as an identification because you can put a FAITH insignia on a Dom Trooper.

While the same thing may be said about medic/press, their roles are more specific and they're less likely to be involved in the battle.
Quote:
I never said you should.
Again, I didn't say you did.

You asked why one is okay and not the other. And I merely replied that just because I've accepted one doesn't mean I have to accept everything. That's the simple answer to your question.
Old 2013-03-08, 08:07   Link #5970
tetsuo69

its almost time to re watch destiny
Old 2013-03-08, 08:48   Link #5971
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Anything is possible, I suppose, but I still don't think such cases are necessarily solved by an insignia. For anyone to even hinder a member of FAITH in a case where they're not able to verify anything, that member would have to be doing something that warrants attention, in which case an insignia would still not be the way to bring up trust.
Insignia might not be the most secure method of confirming ID but in some emergencies, it's best to have it than none at all. For example, if a ZAFT squad lost their commander in the middle of a battle, away from the mothership and having some system failure, then a MS with FAITH insignia passes by and offering help, it's better to trust the pilot in MS with FAITH sign to take command than going around aimlessly in the battlefield, right?

Quote:
Which is why an insignia is pretty useless as an identification because you can put a FAITH insignia on a Dom Trooper.

Umm...If the FAITH member was given a Dom then the insignia is even more useful to differentiate it from other non-FAITH Doms from the outside.

Quote:
You asked why one is okay and not the other. And I merely replied that just because I've accepted one doesn't mean I have to accept everything. That's the simple answer to your question.
But in your case, it’s like you saying “I have no problem watching someone got killed, but I have a problem watching someone got punched”. That’s how I view the comparison between Destiny’s color scheme and the little insignia on its shoulder. But let’s stop this. To each their own. And like I said, it’s your pet peeve, right?
Old 2013-03-08, 11:29   Link #5972
Gundamx

Quote:
Umm...If the FAITH member was given a Dom then the insignia is even more useful to differentiate it from other non-FAITH Doms from the outside.
What if someone stole it?

e.g.: Kira stole Freedom from ZAFT >>> if it have FAITH insignia than that will give him free pass on all ZAFT area
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 11:38   Link #5973
S.Freedom

I'm with Monster here.

In the situation your talking about Athrun could have slaped a FAITH insignia on the Justice and screwed with ZAFT forces. Just like Gundamx indicates.

With the level of tech on display in Seed/Destiny I would think it'd be easy enough to provide each Faith member/there MS a unique ID code that would allow him/her to take command and such.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 12:25   Link #5974
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
What if someone stole it?

e.g.: Kira stole Freedom from ZAFT >>> if it have FAITH insignia than that will give him free pass on all ZAFT area
Where do I ever said that mere FAITH insignia on your MS will give you free pass to all ZAFT area?
I only said that insignia will be useful in emergency situations where the system fails and people go on manual. If the system works normally, ZAFT will know instantly whether the MS is stolen or not (insignia or no insignia).

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
In the situation your talking about Athrun could have slaped a FAITH insignia on the Justice and screwed with ZAFT forces. Just like Gundamx indicates.

With the level of tech on display in Seed/Destiny I would think it'd be easy enough to provide each Faith member/there MS a unique ID code that would allow him/her to take command and such.
If the condition is like what I mentioned in my previous post, then why not? It could’ve been a good strategy.

Then again my example can only apply if the system itself fails (like I mentioned above), so it doesn’t have anything to do with the level of tech anymore.
Old 2013-03-08, 16:43   Link #5975
monster

Quote:
Insignia might not be the most secure method of confirming ID but in some emergencies, it's best to have it than none at all. For example, if a ZAFT squad lost their commander in the middle of a battle, away from the mothership and having some system failure, then a MS with FAITH insignia passes by and offering help, it's better to trust the pilot in MS with FAITH sign to take command than going around aimlessly in the battlefield, right?
No, in this case, the squad would have to decide on a case by case basis. The FAITH insignia is irrelevant. If they were in trouble, and someone offered to help, they might not have any choice but to accept the offer regardless if the person who offered to help is a member of FAITH.
Quote:

I'm saying that, without other identification, someone could masquerade as a FAITH member. Don't assume that only official FAITH members could have the insignia.
Quote:
But in your case, it’s like you saying “I have no problem watching someone got killed, but I have a problem watching someone got punched”.
The difference is that this is a matter of taste, which is subjective. Someone getting killed is reasonably and objectively worse than someone getting punched. So, yeah, let's not go there because that analogy is just terrible.
Old 2013-03-08, 16:52   Link #5976
S.Freedom

Quote:
Where do I ever said that mere FAITH insignia on your MS will give you free pass to all ZAFT area?
I only said that insignia will be useful in emergency situations where the system fails and people go on manual. If the system works normally, ZAFT will know instantly whether the MS is stolen or not (insignia or no insignia).
You didn't say it per say, but it was implied by your comments.

Sure Zaft high command would know. But would the rank and file mooks know the suit was stolen?

Back when the freedom was "stolen" by Kira/Lacus. Did the rank and file mooks know that the freedom was designed and built by ZAFT or that it was simply a really powerful suit?
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 20:09   Link #5977
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
No, in this case, the squad would have to decide on a case by case basis. The FAITH insignia is irrelevant. If they were in trouble, and someone offered to help, they might not have any choice but to accept the offer regardless if the person who offered to help is a member of FAITH.
Easy, those squads still have their mobile suits and still able to fight, just don’t know what to do. Now if they met an MS they’ve never seen before, they’ll have, say, 100% suspicion to the pilot. But if the MS has FAITH insignia on it their suspicion level will be, say, 50% or lower. So, less questions asked, less trouble, save more time, quicker action.

Quote:
I'm saying that, without other identification, someone could masquerade as a FAITH member. Don't assume that only official FAITH members could have the insignia.
But of course. In the worst case scenario, the enemy can masquerade as FAITH member (given they even know what FAITH is). I never assumed that only FAITH member can paint the insignia. But I doubt the enemy will rely on FAITH insignia alone to masquerade coz it needs certain emergency situation to work.

Quote:
The difference is that this is a matter of taste, which is subjective. Someone getting killed is reasonably and objectively worse than someone getting punched. So, yeah, let's not go there because that analogy is just terrible.
Well, I already said to stop.

Quote:
You didn't say it per say, but it was implied by your comments.
Well, then it’s just you misunderstanding my comments.

Quote:
Sure Zaft high command would know. But would the rank and file mooks know the suit was stolen?
If you agree with monster, then you must also agree with his comment that each suit has high-tec system to identify every ZAFT suit. If the MS is unknown, they'll confirm the pilot. In the case of Kira stealing Freedom, he already goes into offensive-mode to those GINNs.

Quote:
Back when the freedom was "stolen" by Kira/Lacus. Did the rank and file mooks know that the freedom was designed and built by ZAFT or that it was simply a really powerful suit?
I don’t know. The series never goes into full detail explaining whether those grunts know it or not. You might wanna ask the scriptwriter for that.
Old 2013-03-08, 22:42   Link #5978
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

What is the air date of the Destiny remaster? I heard March once. Is that true?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 23:12   Link #5979
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
What is the air date of the Destiny remaster? I heard March once. Is that true?
You can see kaito-kid’s post above.

Live streaming: 29 March 2013

TV air:
[BS11] 7 April 2013
[Tokyo MX] 9 April 2013
Old 2013-03-08, 23:17   Link #5980
monster

Quote:
But I doubt the enemy will rely on FAITH insignia alone to masquerade coz it needs certain emergency situation to work.
No one would/should rely on FAITH insignia.

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep