AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-03-01, 14:27   Link #1
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Making an RPG out of a current series - Y O U CHOOSE

Before I say more: Do not expect professional games with amazing graphics. All games created here will be in 2D [an example of the type is FF6/Lunar/Thousand Arms]. I will work hard to get the game near perfection, story and fun wise, but don't expect too much...or you may be dissapointed.

Ok, you're probably like:
"OMG, it's that crazy Chibi again, planning another thing he isn't going to finish"
but I promise that these will get done. It may take [and most likely will] over 6 months or more for these to be completed or even planned out, so be patient

Now onto what this thread is actually about.
Think. Of all those fansubs you watched recently, which would make an interesting game? Think hard, and please try to pick one that is still availible for download. [because I'll have to download it to analyze the story, characters and actually create a good game]

So, which anime would make a good game?
Well, I'm going to make it
[If I agree that it would be good, or if I'm interested in that series]

Again, don;t expect anything great. Some ideas I have now are:
- D.N.Angel
- Read or Die
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 14:37   Link #2
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

SoulHunter (if it isn't already one)
Scrapped Princess
Naruto (...naaaah)
One Piece
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 14:38   Link #3
xxziggybitsxx

Send a message via AIM to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via MSN to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxziggybitsxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Again, don;t expect anything great. Some ideas I have now are:
- D.N.Angel
- Read or Die

Yes those are some good ideas... I also have some more...

-Scrapped Princess
-hunterxhunter (when he is playing greed island)

thats all that comes to mind right now.... More will probly come
xxziggybitsxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 14:47   Link #4
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Ah, Scrapped Princess!
This is an ideal choice to start out with, why you may ask?
Well I have it all on CD, and have watched it twice so far.
I love this series, and since I enjoyed it so much I think I would
work extra hard on a game for it. If more people choose SP then this
will be done.

Of course, my final desicion won't be for a while, maybe once we have over 30 user opinions.
Old 2004-03-01, 14:50   Link #5
xxziggybitsxx

Send a message via AIM to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via MSN to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxziggybitsxx
Quote:
Ah, Scrapped Princess!
This is an ideal choice to start out with, why you may ask?
Well I have it all on CD, and have watched it twice so far.
I love this series, and since I enjoyed it so much I think I would
work extra hard on a game for it. If more people choose SP then this
will be done.

Of course, my final desicion won't be for a while, maybe once we have over 30 user opinions.

YHA YOU ARE RIGHT... its got magic, sword-fighting.. pretty much the basics of what an rpg is.. I would deffintly suggest that you start using that for you basic as your RPG game
Old 2004-03-01, 14:55   Link #6
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
I once had an RPG which contained more than one show merged together, that can result into funny stories
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 15:04   Link #7
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Hehe, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien + Hellsing
Old 2004-03-01, 15:09   Link #8
xxziggybitsxx

Quote:
Hehe, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien + Hellsing

OMG is that even POSSIBLE... If so.. that would be some weird stuff... .

Ohh heres anouther..

narutru+naruto=???A SOAP OPREA???
Old 2004-03-01, 15:21   Link #9
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Ok, Im going to give you guys some specs on what the game will support/run under and such stuff. Here we go, BTW these are estimates, finals will be given when the game is completed:

It will run under 800x600. Do not worry if you resolution is set higher then that.
When you start the game it will auto-resize and when you finish playing [when you close the game] it will re-size again back to what you set it to before. Nothing should be affected.

The Battle systems, if any, will be side view. Or, if it suits the game, an in-game battle system, much like that of Kingdom hearts.

Ok, this part is a real estimate...
The game itself should run under any Windows version [I am fully not sure about Linux or Mac, but it should play fine]. If I decide to include movie sequences [scences directly from anime, or animated in flash] you might be required to have a faster system.

Thats all I know atm.
Old 2004-03-01, 16:07   Link #10
7thMethuselah

series that can easilly develop into RPG

Naruto : it feels RPG, has several different spells, weapons, factions, ...

Scrapped Princess : this one would offer a perfect quest system, you start out as pacifica or one of her compagnions and follow more or less the story ...

Apart from these 2 it's rather hard to think up a good fantasy rpg based on a series i think, at least for the shows i'm following recently
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 16:12   Link #11
xxziggybitsxx

Quote:
Ok, Im going to give you guys some specs on what the game will support/run under and such stuff. Here we go, BTW these are estimates, finals will be given when the game is completed:

It will run under 800x600. Do not worry if you resolution is set higher then that.
When you start the game it will auto-resize and when you finish playing [when you close the game] it will re-size again back to what you set it to before. Nothing should be affected.

The Battle systems, if any, will be side view. Or, if it suits the game, an in-game battle system, much like that of Kingdom hearts.

Ok, this part is a real estimate...
The game itself should run under any Windows version [I am fully not sure about Linux or Mac, but it should play fine]. If I decide to include movie sequences [scences directly from anime, or animated in flash] you might be required to have a faster system.

Thats all I know atm.

Umm what Program are u using to make this game???
Old 2004-03-01, 16:36   Link #12
Hellraizer0

Hunter x Hunter seems like the ideal choice, especially Greed Island...that is my 2 cents anyway.
Hellraizer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 16:58   Link #13
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Hm, oh to let you know. It doesn't have to be RPG despite the title of this thread ^^"
I was thinking D.N.Angel would make a certain mission-based game, not exactly an RPG

Oh, I use RPG Maker to create this, along with various tools to edit music, etc.
I am going to use HQ OST sources from the anime I choose for the background music BTW, to give more of a feel to the game.
Old 2004-03-01, 17:16   Link #14
Iori Branford
UH OH SEI IS A KITTY

I want to do a Sutepri RPG so badly that I'm getting my C++ groove back on now. I've got ideas coming out my ass here:

- first-person exploration engine and Disgaea-style isometric battle engine, modified from the Betrayal at Krondor engine
- new story set a few years after the series, starring new main and supporting characters (I've design sketches for two already) and guest starring a bunch of series veterans
- music from Betrayal at Krondor, Gunslinger Girl, Blood, Castlevania SOTN, and more
- graphic novel style cutscenes a la Phantasy Star and Max Payne

But for a retelling of the anime, I would prefer the Planescape Torment engine. Info on modding that game can be found at www.teambg.net.

EDIT: I haven't seen much of DNAngel, but for an idea of what that game could be like, you should play the two very awesome Thief games, Dark Project and Metal Age. They come in a two-pack for about $15-20. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

Last edited by Iori Branford; 2004-03-01 at 23:54.
Iori Branford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 23:28   Link #15
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I think'll create a D.N.Angel mission based game and possibly a SC game
for my first projects. Need more opinions, and BTW please explain why you chose
what you did
Old 2004-03-02, 00:10   Link #16
fenrihr
is dime-a-dozen

Send a message via AIM to fenrihr
well. whatever you come up with, Berserk would make an awesome game, i think it is being made one? or was it a Berserk card game..... eh... whateva. heheh

another that would be good... prollly
Groove Adventure Rave.

ah you wanted further explainations...

well. berserk could be done more like Fire Emblem (if you're basing it off the anime, or the manga too, just be some realllllly hard battles though). As that type of game i think it would be rather interesting, moving the units to fight the other peoples.

Rave: you've got a main character who can use "sword techniques" and some others, set up like the Lunar series it would be good, also it could work well as a FFVI type. eh.

take it how you want.
fenrihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 07:09   Link #17
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxziggybitsxx
YHA YOU ARE RIGHT... its got magic, sword-fighting.. pretty much the basics of what an rpg is..
That's funny, I always thought the basics of what an RPG is were, you know, roleplaying.

I've always found the best source of a roleplaying environment to be a group of people who have reason to talk and interact with each other in a meaningful and situation-defining way, coupled with one or many external sources of conflict and plot, where each has the potential to have a massive influence on the other. Two recent anime which seem to fit that structure that spring to mind are Gunslinger Girl and Uninhabited Planet Survive, though if I were doing something like that I'd want to use my own invented situation, since that could be uniquely designed for the task.

Actually, it's just occurred to me that you could do an RPG with only the most minimal coding ability, as long as you didn't intend to give it any sort of presentation. Up until the point where you can use AI routines to represent people, roleplaying on a computer is all in the writing, after all. Hmm.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 08:01   Link #18
TronDD
Team the box!

Scrapped Princess would be a cool one but I think I'll vote for Gunslinger Girl. The anime basically set up the "universe" but didn't really have a story. That leaves the game pretty much open to go anywhere you want.

It'd be pretty cool to play one of the girls who gets reconditioned by her "big brother" a lot so if your character screws up they "fix" you and you forget everything from your previous game playing. Not to mention your life gets shorter.

Limitless great possibilities.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 08:44   Link #19
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I like the Gunslinger idea, Nice idea TronDD with the life and forgetting things
Old 2004-03-02, 10:18   Link #20
nojevo

It's nice that you're making an rpg game based on current anime shows. Back when I played AD&D with my friends, I was making a tabletop rpg based on escaflowne. I just wanted to use the guymelef But I couldnt finish it cuz I decided to create everything from scratch. Its a good idea that you're using rpg maker for it. of the current titles, I think scrapped princess is the best. Full Metal Alchemist can work, but why bother when a gba version of it is coming out. You should consider Escaflowne
nojevo is offline   Reply With Quote