AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-11, 05:36   Link #21
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

I'm with Chiibi

I'm gonna go out on a limb and claim it's because we're living in the "Nerd Generation"

A good example is the absence of 'real' action heroes in current day media
and the succes of the 'nerdy' marvel movies

While in the past the role-model men were the 'tough guys', in this day and age it's the 'educated men'
No more "Happy Days" with the no-diploma, biker, intimidating Fonz, nope, it's "The Big Bang Theory" with hyper-intelligent nerds as the heroes
Al Bundy scored 4 touchdowns in a single game,.. now he sells shoes

And with that, the stigma of 'sissy' hobbies has slowly eroded
DnD-ers, Trekkies, Otakus, etc, could finally crawl out from under the rock they hid under from the jocks and the martial artists

having a 'nerdy' hobby isn't 'uncool' or 'immature' anymore
so more people take to it and keep it up
Old 2013-01-11, 17:31   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"Kids shows" often have underlying adult themes or jokes that appeal to adults - it depends on how clever the writers are.

Series like "Animaniacs" or "Earthworm Jim" were clearly designed to be as amusing to adults as they were for kids (sneaking the jokes past management).

As for the appeal of anime/manga clearly aimed at small boys or girls ... again, I'll give a few points in that the writing isn't utterly dumbed-down to insult children (much less adults). I don't find them very interesting but hey --- watch an episode of almost any "prime time adult drama series" on television and really LOOK at the script and dialog. Its often worse than comic book writing. I can count the american tv series that occasionally hit adult level writing on one hand.
Old 2013-01-11, 20:14   Link #23
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Well for that some adults do like kids shows and like Vexx said kids shows do have innuendos adults get so yea.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 21:26   Link #24
Write
Banned

I look at it like this: If you're completely in tune with your dreams, and what you see as fun, beautiful, or artistic then that part of you won't fade as you get older.

To quote Kanye West, "society has broken us down to not even feel what we feel anymore". This is true. If you thought giant robots were cool when you were 8, why should they stop being cool when you're 18? Who's making these rules that say I have to feel a certain way about "kid's shows" as an adult?

I can't wait to see what my generation comes up with as we get older and graduate from college. You think shows like Adventure Time are crazy? Wait until you see the visions of all the kids who grew up on anime. It's a cycle and each generation influences the next, so it's only going to become more "normal" for people of any age to watch these shows.

Now if you're an adult and you let these shows consume you then I don't believe you're on the same page as what I detailed above...A lot of anime fans are like that and I think they watch these shows for totally different reason that I'm still not sure of.
Write is offline   Reply With Quote