AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2003-11-11, 20:41   Link #1
Captain K

Attachments and uploading Images

This is an embarrassing question to have to ask, since I imagine the answer is in front of me somewhere and I haven't found it in any faqs or anything... but I haven't ever really posted in forums before finding AnimeSuki's and I can't figure out how to add images to my posts.

Obviously I should be using the IMG tags, but how do I insert an image that's on my own computer rather than one hosted on a website? Do I have to run Apache or some similar program just to get images into a post? That seems like it would be an awful lot of work (and probably more than the average poster would be willing to do... or even know how to) and I bet the solution is much more simple, so...

Anyone want to fill me in, and fill me with shame by telling me exactly how obvious the answer is?
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 20:46   Link #2
Esperchld
Photographer

Code:
[img]<image URL>[/img]
where <image URL> is the complete address of the picture in question.
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 20:52   Link #3
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

btw...the file cannot be uploaded from your comp...or from what i heard...it can...but you'll be the only one that can see it...we'll only see the little red x

you'll have to most likely find a site to host your files...there were a few out there but i dont know that many...one of them is www.uploadit.org
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 20:54   Link #4
Captain K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
btw...the file cannot be uploaded from your comp...or from what i heard...it can...but you'll be the only one that can see it...we'll only see the little red x

you'll have to most likely find a site to host your files...there were a few out there but i dont know that many...one of them is www.uploadit.org

Thanks Superchop, that's basically what I needed to know... I guess I really do have to use Apache to run a webserver :P
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 20:57   Link #5
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

You're welcome...hope everything goes well for you
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-28, 10:09   Link #6
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
To the AnimeSuki people in charge types. Why not make the site so that we can upload images from our computers. Please don't think i am trying to be a jerk or anything so nasty relies please. It's just that it is much easier and faster too.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-28, 11:05   Link #7
Xiandu

Hmm ok i didn't know that. Unfortunately i am not very computer savvvy. As for the website i seem to have problems every time i try to make one so for the time being i have given up on the website til my friend helps me out(he's taking his pretty little time)
Old 2003-11-28, 11:16   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

As mentioned by The Small One, there are attachments which do allow images to be included but we do not have any plans to enable this feature (for very much the reasons stated).

I would still suggest you try www.uploadit.org
You don't need to build a website there, you just use the site to download your image and then you can link to it using the [img] tags.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 06:17   Link #9
Xiandu

Hey thanks for the help. I will give that website a shot.
Old 2004-01-29, 22:56   Link #10
Northern Touch

attachments..

cant you make attachments here..and if not..why not ?! lol..
Northern Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 23:11   Link #11
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Bandwidth -- pure and simple. We have too many users and use a lot already. Attachments would cost too much
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 19:08   Link #12
Northern Touch

o.O i see..
Northern Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 13:41   Link #13
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Apart from bandwidth vB also stores attachments in the database
(although that could be changed with a hack), which is ugly especially
in the viewpoint of database backups.

In any case... sorry -- attachment's won't be enabled (not for normal
registered users anyway).

If you need to upload an image, see www.uploadit.org

I may also perhaps revive my own www.imagehost.org someday
(note: that link is currently not working...)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 15:18   Link #14
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Help with the " Insert Image"

I seem to have lots of Problems inserting images to my attachments. I can either be that the image is copyrighted, which i doubt it but it always ends up in errors.

It seems to have problems when i inserting a larger images, smaller images work though...how embrassing, cant get the "Insert Image" to work

ill show my steps:
1. click on "insert image icon"
2. copy and paste my url
3. go preview my pic
4. Dont work ^_^

that pratically it...., thanks
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 15:37   Link #15
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Firstly you can't attach images; but I don't think that's what you're doing -- just a confusion over words.

Inserting an image with a URL should be possible; maybe you can post the URL here and someone will have a look at it. The site you are trying to link to might not support "hot linking" (that is linking to images from somewhere not on their server). Try Image Host, as that definitely supports hot linked images.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 16:18   Link #16
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
Firstly you can't attach images; but I don't think that's what you're doing -- just a confusion over words.

Inserting an image with a URL should be possible; maybe you can post the URL here and someone will have a look at it. The site you are trying to link to might not support "hot linking" (that is linking to images from somewhere not on their server). Try Image Host, as that definitely supports hot linked images.
Quick question: Even if the site he uploaded the image to does not suppot hotlinking, wouldn't he still be able to see the image in the preview (others won't since they don't have the image cached)?

My guess would be that he isn't using the the [Img] tags properly; it should be like this:

[IMG]Url/of/Image[/IMG]
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 16:24   Link #17
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Quick question: Even if the site he uploaded the image to does not suppot hotlinking, wouldn't he still be able to see the image in the preview (others won't since they don't have the image cached)?

My guess would be that he isn't using the the [Img] tags properly; it should be like this:

[IMG]Url/of/Image[/IMG]
I think he managed to do that just fine, because he said that smaller images DO work.
He means the button "insert image" (the yellow one with the mountain) and when you use that, all you have to enter is the url, because the [img][/img] will get put in automatically.
Don't know about the quick question though.
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 16:47   Link #18
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
I seem to have lots of Problems inserting images to my attachments. I can either be that the image is copyrighted, which i doubt it but it always ends up in errors.

It seems to have problems when i inserting a larger images, smaller images work though...how embrassing, cant get the "Insert Image" to work

ill show my steps:
1. click on "insert image icon"
2. copy and paste my url
3. go preview my pic
4. Dont work ^_^

that pratically it...., thanks
It seems that you are doing it correctly. I can only think of two possible problems. The first is a problem with your image host. Try using http://www.imagehost.org/ as NightWish suggests so that we can be sure that it is completely compatible with our forum. I don't think that this is the problem though since you can post smaller images just fine.

The more likely solution is that you need to make sure the image ends in .jpg .gif or .png since if it ends in another extension our forum software might not accept it. I believe that it accepts .bmp also, but you really shouldn't be posting bmps since they are uncompressed. I'm thinking that your larger images might be in a different format from your smaller images.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 23:24   Link #19
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
The more likely solution is that you need to make sure the image ends in .jpg .gif or .png since if it ends in another extension our forum software might not accept it. I believe that it accepts .bmp also, but you really shouldn't be posting bmps since they are uncompressed. I'm thinking that your larger images might be in a different format from your smaller images.
If you read the news/FAQs, you'd easily find out that ImageHost is still accepting BMPs, but is now converting them to PNG's format.
Old 2004-09-02, 00:37   Link #20
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
If you read the news/FAQs, you'd easily find out that ImageHost is still accepting BMPs, but is now converting them to PNG's format.
I know that. It's a good thing, but I just thought I'd add the information about why bmps are bad since it might be helpful if Aoie_Emesai doesn't want to switch image hosts despite our advice.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote