AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 35 47.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 32.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 14.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.05%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-13, 19:03   Link #81
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstellar View Post
what is particularly interesting about her, what does anyone see and want to imitate, if at all, about this character saki that can be just about anyone else randomly pulled off from the street.
That's likely part of the point — the viewers have a point of identification with Saki because she's not pegged too much into one character type. She instead represents the general feelings of disillusionment and helplessness among people entering "adult" Japanese society. Her character, more than anything, frames the series' perspective.
Old 2009-06-13, 19:04   Link #82
jtstellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I can't tell for sure why Saki said that, but I can understand why someone would.
There is a growing hate and disappointment towards society and the world in general. The constant report of all the evil that happen in the world (war, crisis, fraud, corruption, criminality, pollution). I can hear more and more people making statements like "humanity will soon go extinct", and I somehow can sense that they are hoping for that to happen. Just look at seven (the movie) and how the world is perceived by the main characters: "This world is so ugly to live in I think giving birth to a new life is cruel."

But I don't even need to look at the present situation, a few decades ago someone said:
"We will glorify war - the world's only hygien"

I think number X thinks the same. The world is corrupt, a war will cleanse it.

It's funny how those people can't see the inner contradiction.
i think i agree with irony. but if you look further and add ignorance into the equation and see that most of the contradiction is caused by childish thinking, lack of knowledge and the the will to acquire it, lack of both the power to modify the system and the knowledge of consequences to such modifications (perhaps also a reason why there was a lack of will in the first place -- no one knows for sure what happens after the system is modified), the irony disappears rather quickly. what's left is sadness and a mass of ignorant public. if the missile attack represents the elimination of that "certain element in the society that makes it unsustainable", then the general philosophy is actually something i can agree with. but the method is so childish and primitive it's almost laughable. ignorance is what makes the system unsustainable, you can't eliminate that with a missile.
Old 2009-06-13, 19:12   Link #83
jtstellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
That's likely part of the point — the viewers have a point of identification with Saki because she's not pegged too much into one character type. She instead represents the general feelings of disillusionment and helplessness among people entering "adult" Japanese society. Her character, more than anything, frames the series' perspective.
well i see where you're coming from, but it really depends on where the series is headed. it's like pulling a ayanami rei type character in a ghost in the shell type series.. it'll be out of place and anti-climatic though i will still like it because i like those characters. this series seems to have a good potential in eventually getting into heavy thought provoking plots about world's current state of affairs as i think it's already headed that way, and that would be very different from what a generic anime series does with its plot. well there's still couple episodes and a movie, i will just stop making predictions here because i might turn out wrong about the whole thing anyway. it might not go nearly as far as i'd hope.
Old 2009-06-13, 21:24   Link #84
Lostdreams

10/10 this ep, for being so awesome. I have a feeling that the next one will be even better.
Old 2009-06-13, 22:16   Link #85
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

I havn't rated an episode this whole season I think (except for K-ON) As soon as I got done watching I came here to give it a *Perfect Score*

This episode was uber-epic. The dialog between Akira and Saki was really powerful.

Saki finally showed some real depth. I like her alot more after seeing her feel guilty for her betrayal.

Shouldn't all of X's purchases been available to XII? Maybe he just followed the purchase history and figured out what they were up to.

If Lady Juiz is a machine just like glowing Juiz it should be just like 2001: A Space Odyssey's HAL9000. She was programed and she will do whatever it takes to complete her prime directive.

I just restarted the show but didn't watch it. I had it on so I could listen to the music again. Simply perfect. Every scene's score was brilliant.

ok, im done kissing the show's ass (and i enjoyed it)
Old 2009-06-14, 00:04   Link #86
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
i swear the music when Akira and Saki are talking on the train is a direct copy&paste from Gundam 00. so similar
Old 2009-06-14, 01:19   Link #87
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Watching this episode was one hell of a blast. Everything seems to be tying together really nicely and though I do fear an imminent rush job, it looks like they've allowed for enough breathing room to bring forth a gripping finale.

And yeah, the interactions, that little twist at the end, the fact that despite Daiju's knowledge of the identities of all the characters, he still can't discern which one's the Supporter, all of that brought an air of excitement into this episode and if you can't tell, I'm eager to see how things pan out.
Old 2009-06-14, 01:59   Link #88
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
... what is particularly interesting about her, what does anyone see and want to imitate, if at all, about this character saki that can be just about anyone else randomly pulled off from the street. i mean, she is that generic. and she doesn't seem to develop.. granted this story is more about suspense than character development.
Thanks for your interesting posts. I think shounen/adventure shows tend to be about imitating some character and what he does, but shoujo/romance shows (and josei and seinen shows, perhaps) are maybe less didactic and more about identifying with a character and what happens to her. Saki is the heart of the show because I see the world from her perspective while I am watching, whether she is always doing the best thing or not.

I find her very real and sympathetic. It's less that she is developing than that we are gradually discovering who she really is: her despair and uncertainty, but also her determination. She's hardly generic. Who is likely to give their coat to a naked guy on the street? She was the real animating force behind the Eden of the East group, as far as I can tell. She refused a job offer because it didn't feel right, despite being a company she thought she wanted to join.
Quote:
i know you were responding to someone else, but what does 'the only person who wants her is a dork' mean.. is that some sort of pyramidal rating system? it seems like every character in the series including takizawa tries to please her but if your analysis was correct, she feels she has a plain life because the quality of her pursuers weren't as high as she wants, and the company she applies to (which she missed an interview for) denied her? i mean sorry, i just don't understand how a female's mind works perhaps because it's so out of touch with reality. sorry in advance for my lack of humor and imagination.
As far as I can tell, I wasn't establishing any "pyramidal rating system." This is a simple matter. Her devoted admirer, Oosugi, is not someone she herself is attracted to. He is a very uncool, rather slavish and blind person, too conservative for her, despite his virtues. I myself don't hate him and think he is justified in what he is doing now, whatever his motives. But the fact remains that she doesn't like him in a romantic way, and the anime has been at pains to paint him as a bit of a buffoon.

Why shouldn't she feel her life is unsatisfactory? She has no boyfriend (not even Akira, as yet). Her chosen publishing company turned out to seem as if it was going to exploit her, so she refused its offer (that was before the missed appointment with the construction? company). Now she thinks maybe she should have accepted, but still knows she didn't want to. She is not some little mouse, but demands more than a mouse-like conventional life as a wage-slave and eventual wife of someone she doesn't love. She even wants to improve the world, as evidenced by the recycling club. I guess all this is a bit "out of touch with reality," but maybe it's also having some real ambition for her life, and a bit of independence and spirit, despite her mild nature. If she settles for less, she'll never have more. She had the good judgment to realize that this Akira guy was actually not just a freak, but someone special. And I expect she will be crucial in the final development of the story, maybe even in ep11. In any case, it seems pretty likely that she will someday speak the epilogue, as she did the prologue. The story is told through her, I think.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-06-14 at 02:55.
Old 2009-06-14, 02:26   Link #89
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Huhuhu, i knew sometime something about brazilian soccer would come. You can't have seleçăo and juiz just because of a coincidence.

About the supporter, i think it makes more sense to be the coach... The coach is the one who decides who's going to be on the team and who's gonna be left out, if someone is not doing a good job, the coach is the one who got to take him out, just like the supporter. I guess to be the referee make sense too, but since the Juiz already stand for the referee and the others are just his helpers, i don't think so. So i'll stick with the coach theory.

And juiz = judge is not he best translation, cause judge stands for the judge in the court too. Referee is the best choice after all. Instead of Juiz, árbitro would have been a better choice, it's the same thing, but without the other meaning... But Juiz sounds cool and no one uses árbitro that much, so i guess i understand them.

Last edited by Kid Ying; 2009-06-14 at 03:11.
Old 2009-06-14, 02:32   Link #90
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
dunno if anyones mentioned this, but juiz means judge in portuguese

btw, isn't it interesting how she blatantly disobeys a command from one of the Selecao? Wonder what the implications of that are...

Last edited by paradox13; 2009-06-14 at 02:49.
Old 2009-06-14, 03:15   Link #91
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

And it means football referee in brazilian portuguese. Source
Probably inspired by the same sentiment as led Outside to name the selecaos from the Brazilian national team.
As for why 12 selecaos and not 11? Well, my guess is that the supporter doesn't count, since his primary duty would be to observe the others, ergo he doesn't really "play".
Old 2009-06-14, 04:25   Link #92
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

This episode was awesome execpt for two minor things.

Spoiler for episode 10:
Old 2009-06-14, 06:35   Link #93
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

nah he just transfered data... most probably. That however means there is another supercomputer like Juiz somewhere that was prepared beforehand. This Ato Saizo is pretty amazing isn't it?

Old 2009-06-14, 07:20   Link #94
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah I guess. I'm glad Akira finally opened up to Saki. I don't think their relationship could've been anything more if they hadn't, but it looks as if Akira has remembered what's happened and whatever it is, it will probably get in the way.

The series is likely to end on a cliffhanger. Can't wait.
Old 2009-06-14, 07:28   Link #95
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
And it means football referee in brazilian portuguese. Source
Well, Juiz means Judge in Brazillian portuguese (I should know). It is used to refer to the referee in a number of sports, tho (not just futebol - I refuse to call it soccer, like the yanks prefer). They're sorta interchangeable terms - in that regard and in that context.

Árbitro probably wouldn't sound as good (too many R's), nor have the double meaning Juiz could be implied to have.

Old 2009-06-14, 08:33   Link #96
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
nah he just transfered data... most probably. That however means there is another supercomputer like Juiz somewhere that was prepared beforehand. This Ato Saizo is pretty amazing isn't it?
Could be that Juiz is just on a stack of backup tapes somewhere and not actually running, which would bring down most of the Noblesse system.
Old 2009-06-14, 08:39   Link #97
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Craziness. I don't think I've ever seen an 11 episode series though. Its a crime I say, a crime!
Old 2009-06-14, 08:51   Link #98
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Nodame Cantabile paris also has 11 episodes

About the thing Saki said concerning her "betrayal" I think I know what she's talking about. It must be the scene on the metro in episode2 (10:40 ca.)

I think she says: "motto nani ka sugoi koto ga okoranai kana tte omotteta" (I wondered if something even greater would happen). And she said that in front of Akira after telling him about the careless monday. From the way she says so, it looks like she sees the careless monday as something wonderful (sugoi).

Old 2009-06-14, 10:10   Link #99
Bordix

ah, so many post to read so little time...

Yeah, the episode was epic since it answered so many questions. Agree, BGM was awesome, really gets the mood going and how many neets are there in one cargo box? I can totally imagine the awkwardness...and wait, what!? the 3rd guy never spent a single penny!? That's.....impossible....

Next episode would b so awesome. I'm really interested how the other selecao would react. oh yeah, and thousands of naked NEET'S rampaging around the streets
Old 2009-06-14, 13:20   Link #100
Dop
Mmmm....

Whoa. I'm going to have to watch that again to digest it. And once the series is over, I'm going to watch the whole thing again. Can't believe it's almost over.

Traditionally in football number 12 would be the substitute. Maybe number 12 is a substitute for Mr. Outside?
Closed Thread