AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-01, 01:27   Link #461
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Wow, that BSOD at the end was pretty shocking. That was kinda horror flickery of them.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 16:52   Link #462
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I, for one, am glad to see them reintroduce some costs associated with mind-reading. To me that was the whole point of the opening and the most interesting aspect of Kotoura-san. Sure they can all be cute and funny together, but that's not really what I'm watching this show for.

I'm going to capture the encounter and watch it frame by frame.

Update: There are only four frames. The first shows a girl's skirt, and the third and fourth frames a blurred picture of what appears to be the attacker followed by a raised knife. The second frame has more detail:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
That could be the same school uniform as Kotoura and friends wear, or it could just be yet another sailor fuku.

Four frames consume just 1/6th of a second in a standard 24 fps anime.

When Kotoura falls to the ground the camera turns on Manabe behind her. You can see the apparent villain over Manabe's shoulder in the background. Otherwise we have no clue who he (I'm pretty sure it's a he) may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Also am I the only one who thinks Mifune sent the two of them out to that specific place knowing that Kotoura would pick up on the location of a dangerous mind?
The couple appeared to travel fairly far and wide on that date so I think it's more likely a chance encounter. I doubt Kotoura will convince the police of her ability. I foresee the ESP Society donning their Sherlock Holmes garb (except for Mori who will be dressed for battle) and bringing down the "final boss" on their own. Somehow we'll resolve Yuriko's issues along the way.

I laughed at the scene where Daichi's mother comes into his room while Yuriko is there and expresses disappointment that she has no reason to knock. Is Yuriko in love with Daichi? Is it requited? I think the answers are yes and no, but I do wonder why he spends all his time with her including, apparently, outside the ESP Society.

What's going to happen to Kotoura's mother if the focus shifts to the mystery? That scene Haruka recalls of being sick as a child was heart-breaking. Her mother must have memories like that, too.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-03-01 at 17:47.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 17:48   Link #463
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I, for one, am glad to see them reintroduce some costs associated with mind-reading. To me that was the whole point of the opening and the most interesting aspect of Kotoura-san. Sure they can all be cute and funny together, but that's not really what I'm watching this show for.

I'm going to capture the encounter and watch it frame by frame. Each of them has a lot of objects to examine, and they go by quickly.

When Kotoura falls to the ground the camera turns on Manabe behind her. You can see the apparent villain over Manabe's shoulder in the background. Otherwise we have no clue who he (I'm pretty sure it's a he) may be.

The couple appeared to travel fairly far and wide on that date so I think it's more likely a chance encounter. I doubt Kotoura will convince the police of her ability. I foresee the ESP Society donning their Sherlock Holmes garb (except for Mori who will be dressed for battle) and bringing down the "final boss" on their own. Somehow we'll resolve Yuriko's issues along the way.

I laughed at the scene where Daichi's mother comes into his room while Yuriko is there and expresses disappointment that she has no reason to knock. Is Yuriko in love with Daichi? Is it requited? I think the answers are yes and no, but I do wonder why he spends all his time with her including, apparently, outside the ESP Society.

What's going to happen to Kotoura's mother if the focus shifts to the mystery? That scene Haruka recalls of being sick as a child was heart-breaking. Her mother must have memories like that, too.
you only noticed who yuriko love daichi now???? this was hinted from the beginner, i think he's not answer her feelings due to his "chibi" and glasses look, he just think he is too ugle and little to be her love, than try to stay on the "friend zone" while she still trying to pass this zone.
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 19:05   Link #464
HandofFate

I think Daichi notices and does care for Yuriko. He certainly is observing her with care and supporting whatever goal she has, but is making sure she doesn't go too far off the deep end that she regrets her actions.

And he probably doesn't want to spoil her lol. So he has to keep a stoic attitude so she takes his words and advice seriously.
Old 2013-03-01, 19:16   Link #465
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
I think Yuriko's love IS requited, it is just that he knows her inside and out and knows that he must keep her wanting some sweet loving, otherwise she would get too full of herself. They are like a married couple without even realizing it, one day when they are older he will say "let's get married" and she will say yes without even thinking about it.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 09:13   Link #466
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Diabolus Ex Machina at work as always.

In any case, how will the Kotoura's mother fit into this?
Old 2013-03-02, 11:40   Link #467
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post

In any case, how will the Kotoura's mother fit into this?
Maybe she will appear and save the day during a crucial scene, which conveniently leads to a reconciliation between Kotoura and her. I sure hope that will never happen.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 14:19   Link #468
Dark Wing

Quote:
The couple appeared to travel fairly far and wide on that date so I think it's more likely a chance encounter.
Maybe I am thinking too much about but Mifune’s mom used to work closely with the police and she might have some inside information not available in normal public channels. Possible trying to keeping the murder a secret as not to cause a panic but an old friend of Mifune’s mom let it slip.
Old 2013-03-02, 20:59   Link #469
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Update: There are only four frames. The first shows a girl's skirt, and the third and fourth frames a blurred picture of what appears to be the attacker followed by a raised knife. The second frame has more detail:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
That could be the same school uniform as Kotoura and friends wear, or it could just be yet another sailor fuku.

Four frames consume just 1/6th of a second in a standard 24 fps anime.
Actually, there are five separate shots. The first looks to be the contents of the girl's bag spilled out on the floor. There is not much identifiable except, perhaps, a "Campus" notebook and what appears to be a photograph. The second appears to be the skirt of the girl sitting on the floor, and the third shot in which we see her sitting on the floor with her bag spilled out. The fourth shot seems to me to be the terrified face of the girl in the third shot as she has her hands covering her face in both. The fifth is a little ambiguous. From the angle of the elbow, it looks likes either someone stabbing themself, or someone stabbing someone else from behind, or from some angle I haven't figured out yet.

Quote:
Well, I've scrutinized the image of the person over Manabe's shoulder and I can't tell if it's a guy or a girl. Of course, the visions she had could have actually come from the guy (or girl) that are approaching her on her right, and not from the person (in the white shirt) who had just passed her on her left. Actually, that person seems to have traveled quite an unrealistic distance in the short period of time while Kotoura was having her visions.

Quote:
What's going to happen to Kotoura's mother if the focus shifts to the mystery?
What if her mom is the perpetrator of the mystery? She could have been the white-shirted person. She could have devised some twisted plot to seek revenge on Kotoura by somehow involving her in a murder. As shown in episode 7, she still despises Kotoura and blames her for the miserable life that she probably has had since she abandoned her daughter. She is also, after ten years, still in denial, calling Kotoura's visions "non-sensical outburts."
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 15:30   Link #470
Midonin
Last Engage

The Secret of Haruka Kotoura 09 - Angel inside a Demon

I've never been more glad that Yoshihisa is a huge idiot. His ability to completely ruin the mood of any scene kept this episode from going as despair-heavy as it could. And I would indeed rather spend a lifetime in the company of fools. Aside from that and a few other jokes (such as the mismatched outfits), the tone was heavy, but as I've said before, I feel that heavy things speak for themselves so much that I can't comment on them at length. I am glad, though, and I'll trust Haruka on this one, that within her mother is some good. Nobody's born evil, after all.

Also, I'm suspecting that the police chief's assistant is the real criminal. By the very nature of her being the one I'd least suspect from her personality, all signs point to yes.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 15:49   Link #471
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I certainly hope it is not the new love interest of her mother ... that would spell potential disaster. Still - all in all I thought it was a good ep, and I for one and very glad we are back to the "serious" Kotoura focus-wise.
Old 2013-03-07, 16:22   Link #472
ookamigirl

Serial attacker on the loose.
Manabe almost stayed Haruka's home.
"Luckily" Moritani saved her.
Everyone was kinda on edge about that attacker.
The appearance of Haruka's mom was a surprise.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 17:07   Link #473
U<3Anime
Boo!

Woah Manabe is one of the most competent male lead I have ever seen in any anime. He just met Kotoura's mom for the first time, but has already made a bit progress in helping repairing the relationship between kotoura and her mom. Dude is a genius I say.
Old 2013-03-07, 17:18   Link #474
HandofFate

oh man, tons of substance in episode 9.
Liked the first part with Kotoura and Manabe almost making it, but Moritani showing up and cockblocking Manabe again lol.

Small things that made me rewind a bit to rewatch that caught my eye.
When Yukiko suggested they find the criminals themselves, and Daichi's glasses defogged and got the serioustime look. Just liked the way its portrayed. Liked the "fear meter" for alone and w/ Manabe.

The female detective is suspicious. Was getting a persona4 vibe from her. Kotoura also paled from her mother's new boyfriend. Though it might just be him thinking something about the mother or of the relationship in general.

Was interesting to see the grandfather saying that he told the mother he didn't want to see her again after how she abandoned Haruka.
Also really like the grandfather's personality, while its more on the comedic/eechi side, I think he filled an important gap in Kotoura's growing years where skinship and closeness is important. He certainly made sure that Kotoura felt loved.

While the mother's tongue is acidic as usual towards Kotoura, it was kind of a surprise to see her suddenly get protective when Manabe started smothering her. Even though she is far from redeemed, it was a nice start.

Felt some danger vibes when Moritani left the group to go solo. Thinking she might be the next victim, but the after credit scenes show her at what seems to be another attack, with mysterious circumstances.
Old 2013-03-07, 17:41   Link #475
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Seems like every man her mom's with is a bad man, which explained Kotoura's reaction when she accidentally 'scanned' him. Honestly can't really sympathize with the mother.
Old 2013-03-07, 20:54   Link #476
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've grown a bit tired of Manabe's one-note characterization. Are the writers ever going to let him mature a bit and behave in a manner appropriate to the circumstances? As much as I dislike Haruka's mother, I thought her reaction to Manabe was justified by his boorish behavior.

I certainly hope the criminal is not her mother's boyfriend. When Haruka came up short upon meeting him, I worried that the writers were going to take us down this totally implausible road. As for the policewoman, that seems equally unlikely.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 20:58   Link #477
sikvod00

I assumed the boyfriend is just getting close to the mom and family because of their wealth, and that's what Kotoura was "reading". At least I hope it's that, and not something as totally predictable\cliche as him being the suspect.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2013-03-07 at 21:26.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 21:00   Link #478
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ep.9

school girls being attack while kotoura all better yet still bit scared get manabe to stay at her place til manabe get chance with fear level on manabe over 9000 cue demon-mori to box'd manabe.

police arrive at school give asking students if any info going give kotoura read criminal's mind but can't say give got other students "HMM" on kotoura so esp idea go like scooby-doo to catch the crook.

well at kotoura's grandpa call in invite them to dinner give all formal to a small food place to really a hotel til yikes it that "mom".

give "mom" still bitter while kotoura try to show to try patch but "mom" not notice til enter manabe perv power it still show bit something within the "mom"

& oh mori in shock cause beaten school girls with blood on mori hands?!
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 21:27   Link #479
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I've grown a bit tired of Manabe's one-note characterization. Are the writers ever going to let him mature a bit and behave in a manner appropriate to the circumstances? As much as I dislike Haruka's mother, I thought her reaction to Manabe was justified by his boorish behavior.

I certainly hope the criminal is not her mother's boyfriend. When Haruka came up short upon meeting him, I worried that the writers were going to take us down this totally implausible road. As for the policewoman, that seems equally unlikely.
I thought it was pretty clearly implied that Manabe was pulling the ecchi routine quite intentionally to help Kotoura. He did it to take her mind off being afraid, and to try and goad her mother into feeling protective.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2013-03-07 at 21:39.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-07, 21:42   Link #480
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I thought it was pretty clearly implied that Manabe was pulling the ecchi routine quite intentionally to help Kotoura. He did it to take her mind off being afraid, and to try and goad her mother into feeling protective.
He certainly ... erm ... sacrificed himself for Kotoura, didn't he?

Looked painful....

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy