AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-01, 09:43   Link #61
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Depends on your system and internet speed; your system will need to download all of the updates (it won't happen at anywhere near your max speed if you do it via Automatic Updates). HD speed and processor speed also count for a lot. If you need to install SP2 and a host of other updates, I'd think maybe 20-40 minutes.
So far my os is SP2 and all i need is the update so how long will it take got ah 384kbps broadband hooked in my pc..my ram is 720mb and hd is 40gb motherboard 2.26 vga is 128mb
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 18:01   Link #62
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I don't mean for this to sound rude, but why does it really matter how long it'll take? Your PC's security is vital, not only to your own protection from things like identity theft, but for people's inboxes (like mine) from needless spam sent out by people whose computers were compromised. If you're running a corporate network, then I could understand that you'd need an estimate for downtime.

If you want to know how long it should take so that you can gauge whether an error occurred or not, then I'll let you know that there's really no exact time estimate: there are too many factors. If something goes wrong, you won't know it until you reboot. Don't worry about it - millions (if not billions) of people have run through these updates with no problems. If you have a problem, we'll help you sort it out.
Old 2007-04-01, 18:27   Link #63
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Leave it overnight if you're so worried about it. It won't take longer than that. I recently did it and it took no longer than 20 minutes.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 21:48   Link #64
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I don't mean for this to sound rude, but why does it really matter how long it'll take? Your PC's security is vital, not only to your own protection from things like identity theft, but for people's inboxes (like mine) from needless spam sent out by people whose computers were compromised. If you're running a corporate network, then I could understand that you'd need an estimate for downtime.

If you want to know how long it should take so that you can gauge whether an error occurred or not, then I'll let you know that there's really no exact time estimate: there are too many factors. If something goes wrong, you won't know it until you reboot. Don't worry about it - millions (if not billions) of people have run through these updates with no problems. If you have a problem, we'll help you sort it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Leave it overnight if you're so worried about it. It won't take longer than that. I recently did it and it took no longer than 20 minutes.
Thanks alot! My apologies I'm so paranoid when It comes to this things..woho
Old 2007-04-09, 21:19   Link #65
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
@Ledgem yeah I can see the ST########## I was thinking of replacing the ram that is free with the computer because I think the ram is abnormal 224mb since they came form different manufactures I think they deny each other.. thanks for the info you are so pro..

As expected from Jinto Lin you know every answer in my problem was it because of the mass messages that I send computer related ehehe..
Well as I told you in my reply (didn't you receive one?), there is a chance, that the RAM is shared with an onboard graphics controller. In your case, that means 256-32=224, the shared graphics RAM is 32MB. Did you try the Aida diagnostic tool to get the information of RAM and grpahics card?

(and lets not hijack the other thread... we can use this one )

Last edited by Jinto; 2007-04-09 at 23:52.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 23:38   Link #66
tritoch

this thread has become a Q&A thread.

Well something random..

Any good kanji/katakana/hiragana to english dictionary programs out there? I found kanjiquick but its confusing >,>
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 01:35   Link #67
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
Well as I told you in my reply (didn't you receive one?), there is a chance, that the RAM is shared with an onboard graphics controller. In your case, that means 256-32=224, the shared graphics RAM is 32MB. Did you try the Aida diagnostic tool to get the information of RAM and grpahics card?

(and lets not hijack the other thread... we can use this one )
I'm sorry got carried away....cause I didn't visit that thread for a long time...sorry...!

and yeah hijack is baddd...

Edit: The program you mentioned I can't seem to download it...It says you need bit torrent to download this blabla like the program but I dropped already because I can't download it.....I was suppose to pm you about it but I forgot...

How do you download it?

Oh yeah about hard drive defragment I think I should do it because I analyzed the disk and it said that I have to defrag it....but I'm to paranoid to do it..ehe

Edit x2: I think the source of my pc crashing is either the ram or the hard drive.......you think so???

Last edited by toru310; 2007-04-10 at 06:11.
Old 2007-04-10, 10:51   Link #68
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Usually I don't like hotlinking, but you can try the mirrors on this page. I am sure one of these mirrors allows you to download Aida.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Once you downloaded Aida, look into Motherboard->SPD. There will be the Serial Presence Detect EEPROMs information of the RAM modules. Very important for further investigation.

this is an example of my system memory (so you know how the information looks like)

Memory Module Properties
Module Name MDT512M PC400 CL2.
Serial Number 2B2A2007h
Manufacture Date Week 40 / 2004
Module Size 512 MB (1 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 2.5 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz)
2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (6.0 ns @ 166 MHz)

Memory Module Features
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Not Supported
Precharge All Not Supported
Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Another interesting read will be Motherboard->Motherboard. If you have an onboard graphics card, it should be listed there. At least the exact ID of the board is provided, which helps too. Well I wish you success for this.

To answer your concern if the RAM and the hdd are responsible for the instabilities....

At the moment its very propably your RAM, since the Video you send me of memtest86 had these red error prints (bit errors). Also it appeared (I could not clearly identify) that memtest recognized 584Mbyte of RAM. Which is a pretty odd number. You said you have 720 Mbyte RAM and an 128 vga. Lets assume your 720 is actually 768Mbyte. Lets further assume that the vga maybe uses 100% shared memory (means all the 128Mbyte). Then 768-128 = 640. Since 640 is not equal to 584, there must be a serious problem somewhere.

Your hdd is innocent until proven guilty (so lets assume it is okay for now). Once the RAM problem is fixed, and if there are still problems then, we can re-evaluate the situation. (atm. one cannot know if the RAM is masking errors... because every processed data is propagated to/from the RAM)
Old 2007-04-11, 04:07   Link #69
toru310

Quote:
Usually I don't like hotlinking, but you can try the mirrors on this page. I am sure one of these mirrors allows you to download Aida.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Once you downloaded Aida, look into Motherboard->SPD. There will be the Serial Presence Detect EEPROMs information of the RAM modules. Very important for further investigation.

this is an example of my system memory (so you know how the information looks like)

Memory Module Properties
Module Name MDT512M PC400 CL2.
Serial Number 2B2A2007h
Manufacture Date Week 40 / 2004
Module Size 512 MB (1 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 2.5 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz)
2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (6.0 ns @ 166 MHz)

Memory Module Features
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Not Supported
Precharge All Not Supported
Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Another interesting read will be Motherboard->Motherboard. If you have an onboard graphics card, it should be listed there. At least the exact ID of the board is provided, which helps too. Well I wish you success for this.

To answer your concern if the RAM and the hdd are responsible for the instabilities....

At the moment its very propably your RAM, since the Video you send me of memtest86 had these red error prints (bit errors). Also it appeared (I could not clearly identify) that memtest recognized 584Mbyte of RAM. Which is a pretty odd number. You said you have 720 Mbyte RAM and an 128 vga. Lets assume your 720 is actually 768Mbyte. Lets further assume that the vga maybe uses 100% shared memory (means all the 128Mbyte). Then 768-128 = 640. Since 640 is not equal to 584, there must be a serious problem somewhere.

Your hdd is innocent until proven guilty (so lets assume it is okay for now). Once the RAM problem is fixed, and if there are still problems then, we can re-evaluate the situation. (atm. one cannot know if the RAM is masking errors... because every processed data is propagated to/from the RAM)

Edit: Ermm sorry to break this to you but about the video that was not me memtesting...."gulp" I was just asking how can that happen to me....you must have thought about this so much(if I were in your shoes)...Im really really sorry....

Thanks!
Old 2007-04-11, 04:23   Link #70
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I see. Well that can happen if you have bad RAM (or wrong timings for the RAM) or several brands of RAM mixed together which do not get along with each other or the mainboard. RAM is a buffer component, that is meant to be stressed. So stress usually does not have any impcat on the RAM (in contrast to e.g. hdds).
Old 2007-04-11, 05:13   Link #71
toru310

Quote:
I see. Well that can happen if you have bad RAM (or wrong timings for the RAM) or several brands of RAM mixed together which do not get along with each other or the mainboard. RAM is a buffer component, that is meant to be stressed. So stress usually does not have any impcat on the RAM (in contrast to e.g. hdds).
Wow such great deduction...side topic when this pop's out does it only have impact in windows files only or do it affect the other files example:your documents specially rar files
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-11, 05:14   Link #72
toru310

Quote:
Wow such great deduction...side topic when this pop's out does it only has impact in windows files only or do it affect the other files example:your documents specially rar files
Spoiler:

Side topic: you also mention before that when a pc crash it does not affect read only files....so how about a folder with mp3 files will it alternate the file or something because of the crash?

The funny thing here when my pc crash sometimes I always undergo a little trauma for about 30mins or so.hehe pretty weird got to get a psychologies..hehe

Edit: Something weird happen I was surfing the net and suddenly some windows pop out came out and I think I clicked it and this came out.
Spoiler:
weird..

Also when I went to paint where I usually make screen shots to document the errors...and suddenly the desktop theme turned to classic and back to windows xp again.. and that happened when I was pasting something in paint..cause I usually print screen first and paste it in pain...

My weird problems are now turning in to a habit..ouch!

Last edited by toru310; 2007-04-11 at 06:46.
Old 2007-04-11, 08:47   Link #73
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Wow such great deduction...side topic when this pop's out does it only has impact in windows files only or do it affect the other files example:your documents specially rar files
Spoiler:
In that particular case it says that Windows files were affected ( those in WINDIR\system32\config ). However the explicit determinism of such an error message is, it pops up, because there was severe damage on Windows system files. You won't see such a message, when damage on not so important non-system files occurs. Thatswhy you cannot deduct from this error message to other possible file errors.

Quote:
Side topic: you also mention before that when a pc crash it does not affect read only files....so how about a folder with mp3 files will it alternate the file or something because of the crash?
Well actually I said files with open read handles (which is not the same as read only files). A read only file, has only read permission, that measn one can open this file only with read handle. Usually programs open any files (regardless of their permission) with a open read handle, unless they really need to write to the file (modify it). Files like mp3s rar-files... are most often opened with read file handle.
However, all the names of the files, and the according mapping of data blocks are stored in a look up table on the drive. (each filename points to a set of datablocks on the drive. Those data blocks make up the file. The mapping information of filename to datablocks is stored in a look up table on the drive). When your PC crashes while the drive is writing something to this look up table, severe damage can be done to the file system. E.g. whole folders can suddenly be corrupt. That means the data blocks of the files are still okay after the crash, but you don't know which data block belongs to which filename, thus your files are lost (scandisk tries to recover such files, usually naming them with generic names in the order it found them e.g. file0001, file0002 ... not particulary useful, if you do not know whats inside the file).

Quote:
The funny thing here when my pc crash sometimes I always undergo a little trauma for about 30mins or so.hehe pretty weird got to get a psychologies..hehe
Chill it out with some smooth music

Quote:
Edit: Something weird happen I was surfing the net and suddenly some windows pop out came out and I think I clicked it and this came out.
Spoiler:
weird..
I'ld suggest not to click any such warnings popping up while surfing the net. Just close/abort them (if they are active/top most, you can use ALT+F4 to do this. ALT+F4 is the key command for close).

Quote:
Also when I went to paint where I usually make screen shots to document the errors...and suddenly the desktop theme turned to classic and back to windows xp again.. and that happened when I was pasting something in paint..cause I usually print screen first and paste it in pain...

My weird problems are now turning in to a habit..ouch!
Didn't you use a special window manager to enhance the looks of Windows? Maybe it is related to this.
Old 2007-04-11, 10:45   Link #74
toru310

Quote:
In that particular case it says that Windows files were affected ( those in WINDIR\system32\config ). However the explicit determinism of such an error message is, it pops up, because there was severe damage on Windows system files. You won't see such a message, when damage on not so important non-system files occurs. Thatswhy you cannot deduct from this error message to other possible file errors.

Well actually I said files with open read handles (which is not the same as read only files). A read only file, has only read permission, that measn one can open this file only with read handle. Usually programs open any files (regardless of their permission) with a open read handle, unless they really need to write to the file (modify it). Files like mp3s rar-files... are most often opened with read file handle.
However, all the names of the files, and the according mapping of data blocks are stored in a look up table on the drive. (each filename points to a set of datablocks on the drive. Those data blocks make up the file. The mapping information of filename to datablocks is stored in a look up table on the drive). When your PC crashes while the drive is writing something to this look up table, severe damage can be done to the file system. E.g. whole folders can suddenly be corrupt. That means the data blocks of the files are still okay after the crash, but you don't know which data block belongs to which filename, thus your files are lost (scandisk tries to recover such files, usually naming them with generic names in the order it found them e.g. file0001, file0002 ... not particulary useful, if you do not know whats inside the file).

Chill it out with some smooth music

I'ld suggest not to click any such warnings popping up while surfing the net. Just close/abort them (if they are active/top most, you can use ALT+F4 to do this. ALT+F4 is the key command for close).

Didn't you use a special window manager to enhance the looks of Windows? Maybe it is related to this.
Actually yeah I think it has something to do with that specific program being paranoid again...hehe...

Oh yeah thanks by the way got the program you asked me to download so how to install it's in rar format?

Edit: I'm sorry for the trouble..This is quite to much..

Last edited by toru310; 2007-04-11 at 11:03.
Old 2007-04-11, 12:23   Link #75
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Oh that is easy, you simply unrar it in a folder of your choice and then you can run the main executable. It does not require an installation.
Old 2007-04-11, 23:52   Link #76
toru310

Quote:
Oh that is easy, you simply unrar it in a folder of your choice and then you can run the main executable. It does not require an installation.
Thanks!!! I'll reply once I did it successfully...
Old 2007-04-12, 04:21   Link #77
toru310

Ermm...the program you gave me how can I make it work I mean to actually make the program useful I manage to open the program so how can it make my pc stable?
Old 2007-04-12, 08:16   Link #78
toru310

Many things have happened and I think by day my condition is getting worse...I mean I'm experiencing great amount of worry, trauma and I'm beginning to cry...because today was so hell for me... This torture happened while I was surfing the net like what I always do and just did some searching with some other forums mostly computer related so that I can gather information to enhance my capabilities. Anyway while I was surfing the net it crashed for some reason pretty weird..after the crash I print the screen so that I can post it in some customer help..and I rebooted it so that It can be refreshed..Now after the reboot I typed my password and waited for windows to boot and yeah so waiting for the programs to load and suddenly it crashed....I mean it should be atleast 1 crash per day but today I got 2 crashes...I didn't even done anything yet..no surfing net..or what so ever..it went out by it's own...Now after some hours later thought it might be a cause of malware..or something..so I scanned waited "hmm" "hmm" after I scanned the pc this came out.(currently using avast and Im wondering why so manyfiles was not scanned?? pretty weird..)
Spoiler:

Moving on decided to analyze my disk to see if it needs to be defragmented and it says I should not but yesterday it says I should..this was before I scan my pc using avast! and after I scan with avast I want to analyze it one more time to see if I need to defrag but it showed this.
Spoiler:

Afterwards it made the check disk I think which is not normal I mean it does not happened frequently I think...

It did this if I can remember CHKDSK is verifying files stage 1 of 3 truncating badly linked attribute records form file record segment 21688. etc I get write that fast..
Edit:about the scan this is like this It think is a bad sign..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTbeqbq0nOk go to 1:45 and at that point that's how the scan looked like pretty scary...Im scared..

It's actually pretty scary because I think my time will stop again just because of this...

Im sorry if I can't explain it well because I can't think straight right now..I can't even download some anime because of the risk that it might crash again..Im just so scared..huhu sob

Last edited by toru310; 2007-04-12 at 09:08.
Old 2007-04-12, 13:38   Link #79
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Hm, strange actually chkdsk should happen more or less frequently after BSODs occured (especially if you get severe errors like the one where the registry files where recovered). I suppose you have set a setting, that supresses chkdsk at startup (could this be?).

Btw. fixing wrong records is essential for having a sane drive. Thus chkdsk fixing any errors like this is actually a good thing. Its only bad, if the drive is still marked/scheduled for chkdsk even if the whole chkdsk ran through. Then you might have real problems with your drive (or a nasty virus).

Judging from the size, that C:\ drive could be quite old (does C:\ represent one stand alone physical drive or do you have a drive partitioned in C:\ and D:\ ?)... you said something about a 3 month old drive (I guess that is D:\ ) correct me if I am wrong.
Old 2007-04-12, 18:13   Link #80
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I remember, back when I was relatively new to computers, how traumatic it was when things didn't go well. The major trauma was when I'd have to format, and lose everything I had. I definitely know what you're going through. I haven't suffered anything like that in the past 5-7 years, though. You reach a point where you know enough and are confident enough, and also where you have enough hardware that you can easily respond to issues.

I just finished cleaning my roommate's laptop of a virus (maybe...), but the entire time I just wanted to do a clean install of Windows. Cleaning viruses and such is a pain in the butt. The saying of "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is incredibly true for computers.

First, about the chkdsk: don't worry about it. If your computer crashes, you should see a scandisk or chkdsk screen that would appear after the initial Windows loading screen, but before the login screen. During a crash, a lot of things can happen. I believe Jinto Lin explained it here or somewhere else, about open reading handles and how corruption can occur. Scandisk/Chkdsk fixes problems like that. If you suspect that your drive may have issues, it's usually also better to run Scandisk before running a defragmentation program (supposedly this is a good practice to get into on a regular basis, but I'll admit that I don't do it).

But why are you experiencing all these crashes? Did we ever determine if your RAM was bad? Aren't you working with a clean install of Windows? You seem to have security software installed (including a firewall, right?)... did you put on the security software before connecting your computer to the internet?