AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-06, 02:20   Link #1041
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Ya, actually I don't think the routes had much affect on the poll. If I really believed that, then I would expect to see Chihaya and Kotori in the top spots and Kagari and Akane in the bottom spots.

I actually liked Chihaya's route and it is one of my favorites, but can agree with her 6th place standing as a character - I lost interest in her after her tsundere-boke role became too predictable, so I can understand why she's at the bottom of the poll.

Kagari might have had an interesting personality by the time the game ended, but she lacked too much dialogue to make much of an impression during her routes. I think she had enough screentime overall but she developed too slowly. By the time she had an interesting personality, that of a "Heroine", she got the Akane-Route treatment, where instead of being able to enjoy the characters personalities and idiosyncracies and get to know them better, her role got reduced to being a plot device to advance the story. It's easily undestandable why she didn't get more votes, she just didn't show off enough personality during her screentime to make a strong appeal to the fans.

Akane gets enough screentime outside of her route being able to show off her satirical humor to endear herself to most fans I think. I can understand why she's popular.

I can also grasp why Shizuru is so popular, since she is so self-less and devoted. Even though I believe Shizuru's route was lacking, her character didn't have any flaws. Her being cute and being so emotionally strong probably put her on a pedastal in most readers eyes. At least I hope readers liked her for being so "good", it's better than believing that people like her just because she's a loli.

I really would have liked Lucia to win, but I can accept that lots of readers were put off by her actions. Imo she has the cutest personality in game but also has the worst/most hard to understand psyche that scares people off to go along with it.

Kotori might be the best overall character in game( Not too good, not too bad, not too disturbed, but the most "human") but she didn't have much chance to showcase her true feelings throughout the entire game. From what I understand Romeo is working on some sort of Diary for Kotori for HF, so I expect out of Romeo's 3 characters, for Kotori to be expanded on the most (from what I've read so far). That should be interesting.

Rewrite had a strong cast of compelling characters. I think it's characters were it's strongest attribute/selling-point. None of the characters fall into any common stereotypes and they're all different from one another and appeal to different audiences. Which is why the poll seems so divided IMO. I hope they focus on the heroines in HF.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 02:58   Link #1042
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
I'm in a right conundrum regarding character leitmotifs of Key through the years. Listening to each right now and trying to gauge their connections to the characters and afterwards rating them is a pointless, but fulfilling exercise for me. Is the best theme Nagisa? Summer Lights? Gentle Jena? Boys don't cry? Soft Windflower? Daisy? Theme of SSS? Run? The fox and the grapes? By the way, to all Key fans, one should really look up key medley KSLA arrange in youtube, it's a fascinating trip through your emotional downturns in memory lane...Bah, I'm talking too much...
The leitmotifs this time around were kind of lacking in comparison to past Key games imo. Personally I'd go Kanon - Hidamari no Machi (Honorable mention to Snow girl, behind the smile, girls Opinions). Air - Summer Lights. Clannad - Nagisa (HM to That's like the wind, Hurry Starfish). Little Busters - Ring ring ring (HM to Exotic Toybox, Magical ensemble, Cat and Round Glass, Run) . I've actually got all those in my playlist when I go running. For Rewrite I'd have to go Carnation or Anthurium as the best leitmotifs, as in I just like the melody of those songs.

Summer Lights is the most nostalgic. Nagisa is the most emotional. Ring ring ring is the most playful and fun. If I had to choose one leitmotif to use in my VN, I would have to go with Summer Lights.

I find having a song associated with a character you like helps a lot in you enjoying the song. I only like Sunbright as much as I do because of the character it's associated with. Exotic Toybox is a song that brings about memories just by listening to it, because I liked the story and the character that went along with the song as it played. Exotic Toybox might be one of the best leitmotifs because I think it matches the characters' personality perfectly. If heard by someone who never played the game, I would have no confidence in them liking the song, but for someone who played the game and liked the character, I bet the personality of the character and the story along with the emotions which the song evokes would get them to like the song.

Which characters have the leitmotifs that most fits them?
Old 2012-01-06, 03:12   Link #1043
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Off the top of my head, my vote goes: Nagisa (Nagisa ofc), the fox and the grapes (Makoto) because the fast pace and general quirkiness fit her personality well, from what I remember, Approaching Light (Nishizono Mio) since its quiet tone fits the character and by extension her scenes well; in fact, I don't think there are any themes that don't fit the characters, all of them do to an extent, though other people could prove me wrong with their own impressions.

Oh but, having just listened to Etude (Kotomi) it fits her like a glove what with the gradual build-up of instruments, reflecting her route... I wonder how the anime handled her.

Wait wait, in terms of Rewrite, I think Kagari fits most, and Lucia fits the least. Kagari's has the ethereal feel to it, fitting for her being something supernatural. Lucia's on the other hand, is almost like it was only made for the common route during her scenes. Not that it's bad but when you delve into her route, the theme suddenly doesn't quite fit. I dunno, that's just me. edit: the same I think can be said of Akane's - only fitting in the common route because it sure as hell wouldn't resonate in her route!

I've got a whole playlist in my computer devoted to Key leitmotifs since finishing Clannad a long time ago, and it's always interesting to look back and listen after a new game comes out.

Also, while Summer Lights (Misuzu) is awe-inspiring in its own way, in my opinion, it only reflects the scene where she initially appears. Unlike Nagisa which is a constant motif that fits the character....

edit: My obsession is why Key makes damn good visual novels, only very rarely in other eroge, galge what have you do you have music that is not "generic gamey synth" or too "high-class" (I'm recalling a phi-age game) that it may as well not be on that platform altogether.
Old 2012-01-06, 04:23   Link #1044
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I think that Carnation is the most fitting theme. Slow-paced, pleasant, laid-back, whimsical, unthreatening, yet it also a lot of feeling to it. Sunbright has a steady, somewhat fast tempo, with an upbeat melody, with a bit of guitar to make it a little cool. As the upright iinchou of justice, this would fit her well for those scenes. It only plays like once during her actual route, so yes it doesn't match the real Lucia very well. I think the same goes for Akane/Kotori/Chihaya's themes as in that their main themes are rarely played during their main routes. Shizuru gets two more tracks to build upon her theme's melody along with a vocal, so she probably wins the most suitable leitmotif. I think the insert for Lucia is more suitable for her. Itsuwaranai Kimi He, is gentle and soothing, but also emotional at times.

I picked Summer Lights because if I had never heard of Key Visual Arts before, I think that song would be the best song to listen to in order to spark some interest in finding out more about Key. It is the most unique, artistic feeling of them I think.

Did anyone see what February's version of G's said about Rewrite Hf? I wish I could spend more but I'm on a budget... yet dying to know what it says.
Old 2012-01-06, 04:40   Link #1045
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Huh. Before I go, I would like to wonder how Sizuru out of all heroines has more tracks which follow in the melody of her theme than the others. Disparity in production? Maybe there's an insight in her route that I missed or something. I mean, Nagisa was the main heroine; Komari held a crucial part in the "secret", does this mean Key intended Shizuru as the same? (I'm not convinced personally, but it's something to think about while I sleep off this medicine)
Old 2012-01-06, 05:46   Link #1046
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Question

Quote:
Huh. Before I go, I would like to wonder how Sizuru out of all heroines has more tracks which follow in the melody of her theme than the others. Disparity in production? Maybe there's an insight in her route that I missed or something. I mean, Nagisa was the main heroine; Komari held a crucial part in the "secret", does this mean Key intended Shizuru as the same? (I'm not convinced personally, but it's something to think about while I sleep off this medicine)
Didn't Kurugaya get an extra track too? I'll bet Yuuto just likes those specialized extra tracks. I love it when a route gets its own unique track. Or at least have a track that is exclusive from most of the other routes. He used like every track possible of the "common" ones in Chihayas' route. He probably threw in requests for extra tracks for his routes. Other possible reasons were that they planned to market Shizuru the most from the beginning in order to aim for a sequel. Shizuru gets her own unique merchandise and Key seems to have something for Suzuki Keiko. She's had a starring role in 3 different of their "franchises" now. The way they go out of their way to market Shizuru just screams that they have more plans for her.

If her goods were the most popular of all the heroines, then it would make sense for her to be marketed so much. But if the ballot voting is accurate, that should have a strong correlation to sales I suspect. Considering she is second, and that the votestallies for each heroine is so close together, probably suggests sales of her goods aren't THAT much better than the other heroines. But she just keeps getting exclusive merchandise for her. I have a strong suspicion they want a sequel starring her after HF. If that's the case I hope they add in Lucia and make it some sort of guardian sequel with a more friendly path for mankind and separate paths for each of them.

The extra tracks for Shizuru seemed to be there just to heighten the romantic feeling at the end of her route. That's just my opinion. However...

Spoiler for Shizuru:
Old 2012-01-06, 14:09   Link #1047
Balzac
Assistant Professor

By extra track, I meant ones which technically feature her motif and not merely a track that's exclusively used in her route. I mean, Lucia has an extra track in the soundtrack: her ringtone, and yes Kurugaya has that piano piece, but Shizuru has tracks that echo her own towards the end. Your thoughts on the matter are more food for thought, although time will eventually tell if there'll be a spin-off of Rewrite after Harvest Festa (and which heroine shall take up the mantle - I know it was surprising for me to see Kudo get her own).
Old 2012-01-06, 19:11   Link #1048
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
By extra track, I meant ones which technically feature her motif and not merely a track that's exclusively used in her route. I mean, Lucia has an extra track in the soundtrack: her ringtone, and yes Kurugaya has that piano piece, but Shizuru has tracks that echo her own towards the end. Your thoughts on the matter are more food for thought, although time will eventually tell if there'll be a spin-off of Rewrite after Harvest Festa (and which heroine shall take up the mantle - I know it was surprising for me to see Kudo get her own).
Not sure if I misunderstood you, but I'm pretty sure Shizuru's tracks are also exclusive to her route? I don't think anything with Carnations' melody plays in Terra. I think possibly Hinagiku doesn't even play in Terra...
Old 2012-01-06, 19:46   Link #1049
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Yes, exclusive to her own, but Carnation's melody is repeated, in a different track - that was my musing. By towards the end, I meant that her ending theme and insert, I forget name now, echo her main theme, though Shizuru seemed to never have been meant as a main heroine. Whereas, in previous works, we have Nagisa~ parting at the bottom of the hill, Chiisana tenohira, because she was supposed to be main, right, and then in Little Busters! Komari's theme and But one magic word, because of her role in the "secret" which would give people the impression of her being the main. All I was musing was that I'd just noticed Sizuru getting that same treatment, music-wise. Kagari would be like her as having an orgel version of her music, but since she is technically a "main"...

And yeah, you can hear Hinagiku in Terra, so with Nirinsou.

Edit: other Key veterans might disagree, but Misuzu's theme I believe only strongly resonates in her opening scene, where she is revealed to the player. I've yet to read points of view that show that that theme was shall we say fitting for the character, but then again, I am but nitpicking because that is a ten-year old game and all that...
Old 2012-01-07, 02:36   Link #1050
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Natsukage helped define the overall atmosphere and direction of Misuzu's story rather than reflect her personality, for me. Instead of her goofy personality it reminds me of her story, the song reminds me of a lot of sentimental moments, her story defines her in a way as well... rather than enhance her personality, the song adds an entirely new element and emotion to her, one that's not so apparent.
Old 2012-01-07, 03:23   Link #1051
Balzac
Assistant Professor

If you put it that way, then it makes sense, probably...

Shall we halt this discussion for now? Until someone else joins in on this particular topic, that is. It is refreshing to hear another view on Key's music, though I fear the thread may veer into offtopic territory if it continues further. And we've been keeping the Rewrite thread alive just through back-to-back discussion.
Old 2012-01-07, 08:35   Link #1052
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
If you put it that way, then it makes sense, probably...

Shall we halt this discussion for now? Until someone else joins in on this particular topic, that is. It is refreshing to hear another view on Key's music, though I fear the thread may veer into offtopic territory if it continues further. And we've been keeping the Rewrite thread alive just through back-to-back discussion.
My thoughts exactly
Old 2012-02-03, 04:58   Link #1053
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Wallpaper from the character poll is up: http://key.visualarts.gr.jp/rewrite_hf/rank/

Lots of skin. Even I liked it, even though I don't care much for Akane
Damnit, now I really wish Lucia would have won.

Shizuru's wallpaper has a new and interesting image in it too. I'm all for getting rid of the plot and focusing on having easy going dates with the heroines.
Old 2012-02-04, 02:36   Link #1054
matrixhazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
Damnit, now I really wish Lucia would have won.
Me too ,

lol , I can't imagine what will be if Lucia won
matrixhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 02:48   Link #1055
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Good god, that makes me cringe.

Looking back at their track record, I stand by the statement that Key cannot make good ecchi material. I don't know how it was for kudwafter, but all of their other eroge-enabled titles have made me want to gouge my eyes out when those scenes came up. Don't get me started on the blarg-inducing moments that was Ecstasy.

Though, still pleased that Akane-sama won.
Old 2012-02-04, 04:12   Link #1056
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixhazard View Post
Me too ,

lol , I can't imagine what will be if Lucia won
She already has an open shirt pic, so yes, very hard to imagine what they would have done if Lucia won.

Quote:
Good god, that makes me cringe.

Looking back at their track record, I stand by the statement that Key cannot make good ecchi material. I don't know how it was for kudwafter, but all of their other eroge-enabled titles have made me want to gouge my eyes out when those scenes came up. Don't get me started on the blarg-inducing moments that was Ecstasy.
Key isn't known for their ero scenes, and I struggle to find a lot of their scenes even the slightest bit erotic too, I might agree with a lot of your complaints, but not with this pic. Akane is pretty and sexy in that pic(Maybe the shading on the left boob looks like a wardrobe malfunction should have happened, but it's a pic I don't mind looking at.). Sounds like you just have no interest in seeing Akane in an H scene or even anything slightly ecchi. I know my expectations were really low because I wasn't expecting to like anything with Akane in it, but I think the artwork alone is fine and plenty ero...
Old 2012-02-04, 04:27   Link #1057
Balzac
Assistant Professor

It's not that I don't like to see her or the other heroines "ecchily", my beef is purely with Key's horrendous track record with ero that was triggered by seeing the picture. I am myself neutral on the subject of adding ero. (it's their prerogative as a Japanese game company)

And..yeah it is personal taste if one finds Akane's pic arousing or something like that. As for myself - nah. It's a good bonus for other Akane fans, but it's not something I'll go "wasshoi" over.

Edit: Ancient as it was, One~ to the radiant season's scenes were kind of gutclenching even for its generation. There was that one character who should not have had an ero scene at all.....
Old 2012-02-04, 04:58   Link #1058
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
It's not that I don't like to see her or the other heroines "ecchily", my beef is purely with Key's horrendous track record with ero that was triggered by seeing the picture. I am myself neutral on the subject of adding ero. (it's their prerogative as a Japanese game company)

And..yeah it is personal taste if one finds Akane's pic arousing or something like that. As for myself - nah. It's a good bonus for other Akane fans, but it's not something I'll go "wasshoi" over.

Edit: Ancient as it was, One~ to the radiant season's scenes were kind of gutclenching even for its generation. There was that one character who should not have had an ero scene at all.....
Probably very unlikely Akane gets an H scene in any sort of spinoff given her CV. The only CV's who work for production companies that would allow them to do that sort of work are Shizuru's and Lucia's(Maybe Chihaya's too, I think not, but forget.).

As for the pic itself, I find Akane's wallpaper pic more tasteful and ero than like, 95% of the stuff I find in Dengeki Hime. I don't think anyone will go too crazy over a pic, it's just pic... more than the pic, if I were an Akane fan, I'd be more happy that she won the poll, since that sends the message to Key that people want to see more Akane. I don't like Akane, so I don't find that pic "Arousing, arousing", but it's still arousing enough so that I think it's a good picture, if you like that sort of art.
Old 2012-02-25, 04:40   Link #1059
matrixhazard

lol, My dream has come true now by this pic

Spoiler for Kagari - Rewrite Festa:

The site also has some update now. You can check here
http://key.visualarts.gr.jp/rewrite_hf/index.html
matrixhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-25, 23:41   Link #1060
Balzac
Assistant Professor

*foams pleasurably at the mouth*