AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 63 52.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 10.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-26, 04:23   Link #61
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMage View Post
Episode 13

Well, crap. There goes my initial set of conclusions about Taiga. I thought she was just a childish brat, but there was something more complex behind her vitriol.

It seems that Taiga's exceptionally abrasive attitude is a result of a troubled relationship with her father. Considering that she has been constantly betrayed by her father, I believe that Taiga has grown a deep suspicion of everyone, especially people who are kind to her. In other words, she unconsciously acts like such a ***** because she is afraid of getting hurt and simply wants others to stay away before they can hurt her. I wouldn't be surprised if Taiga still was a tsundere even with a functional family, but I don't think there would be so many genuine expressions of hatred and mistrust.
Yes, that was my observation too. But its nice that she can finally stand up on her own now, instead of "ending up crying somewhere no one can see" as in episode 2.

Taiga has really matured a lot. She is now quite empathetic to people around her, and not so dependent on others for emotional (and sometimes material) support.
Old 2008-12-26, 04:37   Link #62
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Copied from the MAL thread:
Minorin just makes this show for me. She's all kinds of freaking awesome. During her scenes, I either smile happily, grin like a lunatic, laugh out loud or jump up and down. Now recently, I even got teary eyes. Which is the highest emotional reaction anything gets out of me, so it says a darn lot.

MI-NO-RI! MI-NO-RI-N!

That said, Taiga gained points this episode. Good to see that she can handle stuff on her own as well. It's fine to have friends you can rely on, but there's a limit.
It also made me very happy to see that Ami has sort of calmed down. Seeing her putting on these masks all the time, switching personality randomly; it was painful. She's cool in her own way, even if she's feeling insecure, so my bet is that once she can permit herself to be herself - her biggest obstacle really - her coolness will increase tenfold.

Unfortunately Kitamura is still too random for me; so did he give up on the seitokaichou and went to Taiga? Consolation, genuine interest, what.. his motives are too blurry. I can't tell if he's a nice fellow or an asshole.

Also, yuri Minorin would make me nosebleed oceans and skyrocket me to effing heaven. I'd love her all the same if she was head over heels for Ryuuji, but hey, I won't refuse super-special-exquisite-gourmet-icing on the cake that is the magnificence, the shining splendor of Kushieda Minori.

+Animesuki addendum
Thoughts on Minori wondering about talking normally.
She usually talks in funny/exotic ways, which is pretty hard to carry over into English. However, when she said 'I wonder if I prefer girls', that sentence was in completely normal, regular Japanese.

Spoiler for Incomprehensive speculation part:
Old 2008-12-26, 04:51   Link #63
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

This is one of my favourite episodes. Taiga is happy, shes still friends with Ruyji and possibly is going out with Kitamaru… and Ruyji and Minori maybe going out (other than that stupid lesbian comment O.o) lol.
Old 2008-12-26, 04:59   Link #64
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
You know, she didn't say "I'm a lesbian", she said "I wonder if I like/prefer girls". In CoalGuys' translation the subtlety of her musing was abandoned rather brutally.
Old 2008-12-26, 05:12   Link #65
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

CoalGuys' translation didn't have her saying "I'm a lesbian", it had her saying "I wonder if I'm a lesbian".

Not the same thing.
Old 2008-12-26, 05:20   Link #66
therationalpi

That was a great episode. I'll agree that I prefer the curls in Taiga's hair, but that's just me. Also, Ami in her dominatrix getup doesn't really do it for me, but that overtly sexual things never really do. That said, I really am liking Ami a lot as a character. At first, I felt like she was nothing but two-faced and cold. However, it's very clear that she has a beat on things and is just working from behind the scenes. She has a certain chess-master quality, or maybe it's a benign observer quality.

The Minori thing did bother me. At first, I thought that something had happened with Taiga and her father that Minori knew about, and that her opinion of the father was formed before ever meeting him (Essentially, she always knew he was a scumbag). Thus, she was getting on Ryuuji when she had never had a chance to make the same mistake. When it is revealed that the same thing happened with her, though, I suddenly felt a little angry at Minori. I thought, "If you knew he could trick you like this, then why didn't you tell Ryuuji!" However, it does make Ryuuji seem like less of a moron, though.
Old 2008-12-26, 05:22   Link #67
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou View Post
You know, she didn't say "I'm a lesbian", she said "I wonder if I like/prefer girls". In CoalGuys' translation the subtlety of her musing was abandoned rather brutally.
Hey,I don't mean Minorin is lesbian.
Old 2008-12-26, 08:34   Link #68
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

To make everyone happy, they should totally have:
- Sumire x Kitamura
- Ami x Ryuuji
- Minorin x Taiga.

Too bad it won't happen.
Old 2008-12-26, 08:51   Link #69
Fran~
floating away...

Ami= Sheryl Nome... the whip and the SM costume :lol:
Kitamura= Makoto of School Days... man... you are in a dangerous path... oh boy...
Old 2008-12-26, 08:55   Link #70
typhonsentra

RationalPim I took it as her assuming Ryuuji was more capable than she was (Being able to see the good/bad in people). It was supposed to be a sign of respect for him.... I think.
Old 2008-12-26, 09:23   Link #71
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therationalpi View Post
That was a great episode. I'll agree that I prefer the curls in Taiga's hair, but that's just me. Also, Ami in her dominatrix getup doesn't really do it for me, but that overtly sexual things never really do. That said, I really am liking Ami a lot as a character. At first, I felt like she was nothing but two-faced and cold. However, it's very clear that she has a beat on things and is just working from behind the scenes. She has a certain chess-master quality, or maybe it's a benign observer quality.

The Minori thing did bother me. At first, I thought that something had happened with Taiga and her father that Minori knew about, and that her opinion of the father was formed before ever meeting him (Essentially, she always knew he was a scumbag). Thus, she was getting on Ryuuji when she had never had a chance to make the same mistake. When it is revealed that the same thing happened with her, though, I suddenly felt a little angry at Minori. I thought, "If you knew he could trick you like this, then why didn't you tell Ryuuji!" However, it does make Ryuuji seem like less of a moron, though.
She said it herself - it was jealousy. Minori's only human. There's also the fact that Taiga made it quite clear a year ago she wasn't to interfere in family matters. And Ryuuji wasn't being very receptive either. He knew her father abandonned Taiga, even if he didn't have all the details. He could have added what Minori said, not to mention his own mother, and drawn the conclusion he wasn't to be trusted. But he was too busy projecting his own desire for a father on Taiga.
Old 2008-12-26, 09:26   Link #72
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Another amazing Toradora episode with some nice character development and a great end the current crises. Taiga has stepped up a bit in my eyes and showed that she can handle difficult situations. She acted like an adult concerning her father and we also had a chance to learn that her father has done this before.

Minorin and Ryu manage to make up without having to say much which also speaks volumes about their personalties. Minorin even commented on how she was speaking normally around Ryu. Combined with Kitamura asking Taiga to dance and she didnt clam up like usual. Taiga was gorgeous in her little dress even though Ryu creeped everyone out with his dress talk. Regardless Taiga dressed like a angle (anyone see the irony here?) and Ami dressed like a dominatrix (which seemed so appropriate for her) was fun to watch especially she tore the hell out of it and went to Plam Top Tiger mode and she managed to win. I think others in the class finally had a chance to see how pretty Taiga is.

I had no clue whats going on anymore in the romantic department. We seen Taiga and Kitamura get some nice time together and Minorin and Ryu got quite a bit on nice time together where the camera never strayed from them. Im just not sure how things are going to end up now and where Ami stands at the moment. I also think Minorin's confession of being jealous of Ryu's and Taiga's relationship is somewhat of another hint, of course the seriousness of it fizzled after the "am i lesbian comment" LOL

I throughly enjoyed episode 13 there was so much going on but they managed to fit in and reslove some of the issues going on without taking away from progression and without the episode feeling rushed. Each character is Toradora just fits so well into their respective roles in the series.

I suspect the next episode we are going to get back on track in the romantic department.

10/10 (i haven't given a perfect 10 to any episode or any series this season this episode deserved it)
Old 2008-12-26, 09:52   Link #73
Kushi

Amazing episode! First episode that didn't focus on Ami that I still really loved. Taiga's stealing the spot light... nuuu Ami!!! Come back with an ulimate moveeee
Old 2008-12-26, 10:13   Link #74
SMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Another amazing Toradora episode with some nice character development and a great end the current crises. Taiga has stepped up a bit in my eyes and showed that she can handle difficult situations. She acted like an adult concerning her father and we also had a chance to learn that her father has done this before.
Perhaps I have a different vision of what an adult is, but I disagree with the assertion that Taiga acted like an adult. A adult would not go out on a public stage and vent his/her frustrations. He/she would grin it, bear it, then sublimate his/her frustrations by socially acceptable means.
Old 2008-12-26, 10:24   Link #75
wistfulloner

Sinestra said Taiga "acted like an adult CONCERNING her father". I think he means that she didn't make a big fuss out of it or blame it all on Ryuji or other people. Why she blew up on stage probably is because the audience were jeering at her. You get the idea.

I have to agree, a mature Taiga is a better Taiga IMO.
Old 2008-12-26, 10:30   Link #76
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMage View Post
Perhaps I have a different vision of what an adult is, but I disagree with the assertion that Taiga acted like an adult. A adult would not go out on a public stage and vent his/her frustrations. He/she would grin it, bear it, then sublimate his/her frustrations by socially acceptable means.
wistfulloner already stated what i meant yes she ACTED like an adult. Also, the scenes i am referring to are not really about her on stage. What we saw on Stage is the real Taiga Taiga doesnt give a damn about being socially acceptable as that would be out of character for her besides thats the kind of crap that pisses her off to begin with . Remember when she complained to Ryu that no one understood her this is how Taiga's is but its not all that she is. She can be an incredibly dynamic character when given the chance.

Taiga showed that on some level she can handle difficult situations during her internal monolog during the race while Ryu and Minorin were running. "I will be ok even if im alone" "You dont have to worry about me so much" These are adult like statements she is making not needy or whiny.

Taiga is still very far away from being adult but she can display adult like qualities when she wants to. We saw her do and say things that she usual doesn't which i felt she deserve's a little more respect after this episode.
Old 2008-12-26, 11:11   Link #77
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
wistfulloner already stated what i meant yes she ACTED like an adult. Also, the scenes i am referring to are not really about her on stage. What we saw on Stage is the real Taiga Taiga doesnt give a damn about being socially acceptable as that would be out of character for her besides thats the kind of crap that pisses her off to begin with . Remember when she complained to Ryu that no one understood her this is how Taiga's is but its not all that she is. She can be an incredibly dynamic character when given the chance.

Taiga showed that on some level she can handle difficult situations during her internal monolog during the race while Ryu and Minorin were running. "I will be ok even if im alone" "You dont have to worry about me so much" These are adult like statements she is making not needy or whiny.
It'd be adult like if it was true. But it reminded me of HnG's Izumi going "this time, I won't get lost".

Quote:
Taiga is still very far away from being adult but she can display adult like qualities when she wants to. We saw her do and say things that she usual doesn't which i felt she deserve's a little more respect after this episode.
yes, she was pretty good in this ep.
Old 2008-12-26, 11:14   Link #78
Sixth
Hu Tao

I not going to say anything about this episode except, Taiga is MOE.
Old 2008-12-26, 12:49   Link #79
Captain Roronoa Zoro

looks like ami is fallin behind..
Old 2008-12-26, 13:48   Link #80
wistfulloner

I like how Taiga and Kitamura converse when they dance:

Quote:
Taiga:
How do you dance?

Kitamura:
We hold hands and look at each other ...
then we go in circles until we get tired.
That's it.
If you ignore how Kitamura might be just playing with Taiga's heart, its a very cute way to describe dancing
Closed Thread