AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-28, 08:55   Link #141
Prestige

Good and tragic chapter at same time.

We get lot of stuff with one chapter, we get introduced Oars who is little simple minded but good hearted fellow who greatly likes Ace and he is just trying to help him as fast as he can...

Then we see some Schichibukai action where Boa actually reveals what she can actually do in real combat, Kuma continues to be god-like and Doflamingo is being total bastard and showing that he can do much more than simply control others movements with his string abilitys.

Doflamingo is very sadistic charecter, if you look back where he forced Sarquiss to kill Bellamy slowly while toying with them.

Good chapter and Schichibukais shows again that they are not to be toyed and even weakest of them are formidable.
Old 2009-08-28, 09:50   Link #142
'Pryde
I am better than you

wuldn't it be funny if buggy defeated don flamingo and become a yonkou? lol
Old 2009-08-28, 10:01   Link #143
Nosauz

Enjoyed this chapter the most out of the current marine whitebeard confrontation. Still it's pretty clear that shichubaki haven't even used any of their "real" strength yet.
Old 2009-08-28, 10:26   Link #144
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Well looks like we got to see the Shichibukai flex their muscles in this chapter, I personally loved seeing Kuma continue his show of dominance in the OP world and own Oars with Ursus Shock.
Yeah, that was pretty badass.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2009-08-28, 10:38   Link #145
Gibber

I loved this chapter, great to finally see Hancock fight as well as the other Shichibukai.
Old 2009-08-28, 11:34   Link #146
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Pryde View Post
Whle DoFlamingo would probably not be able to slice Buggy, that wouldn't stop DoFlamingo from simply seizing control of Buggy's body and then walking him into the sea ..
Old 2009-08-28, 12:01   Link #147
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

The episode is pretty epic, with both awesome and tragic moments. A new character can earn that much sympathy from readers... surely Oda's trick with flashback worked nicely.....

Personally i have hope that Oars would escape and be cured somehow. There should be medic in every pirate ship, especially in "the strongest man" 's flag ship. Also, considering if Oars tragicaly died and then be later turned to zombie, it will kill Oda's "No1 die" Policy and mess up the overall theme of OP. So i hope he will escape......

This event could put WB into rage and release White Beard ruthless power through. The man still hasn't taken the war so serious yet (either that or he's really sick now and can abrely move around).

Btw Hancock's power didn't surprise me that much(she hasn't used a fraction of power yet certainly), but her fighting style did, considering i expect her to use multiple short range attacks rather than melee. At least we can see some decent moves since the war start instead of Logia or energy shots.

Also i think we all should stop thinking too hard about why such character don't use some skills and such. If only based on our POV, we all have to wonder 1st why WB did't blast half of the Marine headquarter out with his range attacks, instead of risking to bring so many cannon folders into the war. Try to judge fiction characters out of your ordinary mind would be like asking why the boxer don't just use cross-counter all the time, or why the Karate rarely use flying kick..... while you have no idea about those sports
Old 2009-08-28, 12:03   Link #148
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Whle DoFlamingo would probably not be able to slice Buggy, that wouldn't stop DoFlamingo from simply seizing control of Buggy's body and then walking him into the sea ..
Not to mention his basic combat abilities probably dwarf those of Buggy, he might not even need to use his DF (assuming that's what it is) ability.

Nice chapter, too bad Oars Jr. was so foolhardy. Whitebeard was right, it was suicidal to charge in like that. Any shichibukai could probably have taken care of him, let alone 3, which is overkill. Nice moves by Hancock too, we finally see a bit beyond her pistol kiss. And she once again showed her contempt for men, besides Luffy. Not sure she would be much more considerate towards female marines and pirates though.
Old 2009-08-28, 12:19   Link #149
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Pryde View Post
How could that ever happen? Unless probably the fact that Buggy can split up will cause him to have a small amount of immunity, by virtue of being extraordinarily hard to control. Boa's fight segment was difficult to follow, but it seems she deliberately does stuff to evoke non sobriety, then petrifies people. I don't quite like the idea, but its kind of devastating. As long as she can have you deviate one yod, she wins. It's almost scary.

I don't know why everyone keeps saying that Don Flamingo is wicked: he wouldn't have attacked Oz/Oars Jr. if he hadn't attacked first. And don't let's not forget that Oars Jr. is in the middle of a epic clash between world powers. If you don't meet the criteria, then what are you doing there?.

I'm beginning to feel a little more on Blackbeard D. Kuma's side where Luffy's power compared to Moria is concerned. I really don't believe, given what Morial just did with the Shadow Lizard, that Luffy could possibly have beaten Moria if he had been taking the fight seriously.

Moria's abiity, as refined by this chapter, without a doubt allows him to solidify his shadow, Doppelganger. Why didn't Oda make him create swords? Or even better, just like the did in this same chapter: stab straight through Luffy?

Doppelganger, being a shadow, can also be extended based on the amount of light, and being also a free-form 'being', it can dynamically change shape at any moment. This alone makes Moria compatible with the "Stand-Still" type of battle style, like Gaara.

How was luffy able to beat Moria? Because he got unreasonably stupid, and decided to increase his surface area by absorbing all the shadows in Thriller Bark. But EVEN THEN, Doppelganger should have increaed in size!!! This should have made Moria much stronger, as well as provided him with a bigger shield (Doppelganger himself), and more lethal attacks.

Moreover, I think with the amount of creativity that Oda places into other characters' abilities, he should have perceived that since Doppelganger can be solidified, Moria should be able to create wings, claws (real ones: I know his hands already look like claws), a tail, and other useful combat attributes. Why not also... The possibilities are endless. Luffy, I now proclaim, should never have beaten Moria.

right now, as I see things, the Shichibukai, in order of strength, from first to last are: Don Flamingo, Blackbeard, Kuma, Moria, Jinbei, Mihawk, and Hancock.

However, There is hardly any real ranking since I firmly believe that Mihawk has yet to really get into the fight, and Hancock is not taking it seriously. The difference between the other five isn't really perceptible. They're all monsters.

Quote:
Personally i have hope that Oars would escape and be cured somehow.
A war should have casualties. Don't be naive. The Marines can't be the only ones getting damaged. Right now the war is being fought from the Pirates' POV only because we are more interested in seeing specific pirates' combat abilities. We don't know or feel familiar with anyone from the Marine side, and our anticipation for their side is over, with the exception of Sengoku. But when the pirates have all shown their true colours, I expect a LOT of collateral, and most importantly, irreversible damage on the 'good' side. Note well that the good side in this manga are pirates, so they are more accurately called protagonists.

I don't think it's fair for this whole war to go on and then after all that, Oars just comes back alive. That's nonsense. Not only that, but what purpose would he possible serve? He died to show that the battle field was wild, and everyone was fighting with their agenda on mind, and his tiny, naive, childishly executed aim was too small in comparison with what was going on. Not every good thing will succeed. Good intentions aren't enough to pull through. That's the real world.

I wouldn't like it if he just simply crawls back up alive again.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Last edited by holypanl; 2009-08-28 at 12:30.
Old 2009-08-28, 12:20   Link #150
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Oars I Loved the flashback they showed of him and Ace
Old 2009-08-28, 12:39   Link #151
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Oars I Loved the flashback they showed of him and Ace
I though it was pretty dumb. Just like Barragan's flashback. How pointless. You go and pretty much hurl yourself into death and accomplish absolutely nothing. We understand feelings and whatnot, but humans have brains so that they can keep their emotions in check.

I didn't feel a thing for him: why did he rush in like that? And you can't say: "He is of subnormal intelligence" since he very plainly understood that what he was doing was rubbish. He asked Whitebeard not to stop him. Why? Because he was doing rubbish. And nobody told him so: he said that without being prompted in any way.

He has a whole CREW who need him. And now they are in danger since there would be nobody explicitly watching out for them no that their captain is gone. Even Luffy understands basics like that. You do things with some sense.

Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;

Then they came for me!
Old 2009-08-28, 13:13   Link #152
james0246

^While I partially agree with you, as a point of difference (and to explain why they can't really be compared to each other), Barragan's flashback unnecessarily hyped the character and added layers of motive that were never really portrayed in the series itself (which is why no matter how cool Barragan's flashback was, his present self makes very little sense...that is a Bleach discussion though, so let's leave it alone before Mold and Phen-kun hop aboard and start yelling obsentities about fans not liking Bleach over One Piece ).

Oars flashback, though, was supposed to be purely emotional (even adding a little touch about coldness being his main weakness), and it was highly reflective of Luffy's own charge on impossible odds (Impel Down). That is not to say that I liked Oars' flashback (I do fell that he was unnecessarily wasted just to hype the Shichibukai), or even the character (actually, I did like the idea, just not the execution), but I do think he served a very nice symbolic purpose (I'm just kind of upset that is all he was used for).

In the end, Oars flashback was more of a stream of consciousness approach to describing just why Oars was fighting so hard.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-28 at 13:28.
Old 2009-08-28, 13:44   Link #153
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246
That is not to say that I liked Oars' flashback (I do fell that he was unnecessarily wasted just to hype the Shichibukai), or even the character (actually, I did like the idea, just not the execution), but I do think he served a very nice symbolic purpose (I'm just kind of upset that is all he was used for).
Yep: that's probably the only thing that really got me disappointed about him dying like that. Because of Oz's hype, I was expecting Oz Jr. to show some more dynamics.

Then they came for me!
Old 2009-08-28, 14:03   Link #154
D Lusion AL

Id like to see more of Donflamigo's power. It seems that even after cutting off oars' legs that hes still toying with everyone and only using a fraction of his power. I really want to see him get serious. But aside from that, I hope these fight chapters dont drag on. As interesting as it is, seeing everyones powers and whatnot, Id rather see the strawhat crew. If at least luffy doesnt make an entrance soon, ill start to lose interest.
Old 2009-08-28, 14:48   Link #155
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

At the end it was Kuma, who gave the biggest damage to Oars. But, these memories seemed too much for a character that may disappear within a chapter. Hopefully, we will get to see more from him soon. Considering that there is someone like Iva, who can change people's gender, there may be another who can fix injuries that look as bad as Oars'.

Regarding Boa; Now I remember the comments that were treating Boa as an inferior being, because of both her ability and the fact that she is a female. I hope this chapter showed that she is a much better fighter than what those comments suggested.

Lastly, I am looking forward to Buggy vs. Doflamingo. Let the one with the higher number of controllable pieces win.
Old 2009-08-28, 14:54   Link #156
james0246

^Technically, Ivankov could probably fix Oars (he did heal Luffy's near death poisoning). I don't know if I would like such an event, but the possibility does exist.
Old 2009-08-28, 14:58   Link #157
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I don't really want Iva to get all the good abilities regarding healing anyone with any kind of injury or disease.
Old 2009-08-28, 15:10   Link #158
Prestige

Unless Oars jr is devil fruit user I doubt that he can get his leg back, well wooden leg is very pirate like.

Chapter hints that Oars dies but we will see what happens.
Old 2009-08-28, 15:47   Link #159
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Oh noes, Oars. ; _ ;

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2009-08-28, 16:54   Link #160
marvelB

Heh, after checking out the chapter in a higher quality, I can see that Moria's shadow spear is even shaped like a lizard. Man, that's so awesome!

Anyway, like I said in the previous chapter thread, I think it's a really neat surprise to have Oz's descendant joining the war as part of Whitebeard's forces (it's always great to see how Oda can tie stuff from previous storylines to future events). While it's a bit of a shame that he pretty much ended up being fodder for the Shichibukai, I still think he took the assault like a trooper (granted, Kuma's Ursus Shock attack didn't KO a wounded Zoro either, but I think it should be expected for the stronger members of the Whitebeard crew to withstand one or two "instant death" attacks from the Shichibukai). As far as the flashback goes, I think it did the job well enough for a single chapter. Frankly, I think it's nice to see that even the demonic giants from Oars' bloodline have their soft side.......

Anyway, even if he's not dead, I definitely think it's safe to say that Oars has officially "retired" from this war. However, his death is definitely possible since the violence rate jumped through the roof during this chapter alone (just look at how Hancock was shattering the limbs of both pirates and marines left and right!). And besides, it's natural to expect death in a war, as was already stated. Yes, Oda doesn't like using death a plot device, but seeing as the storyline's reached an event where the very world's balance is at stake here, an exception to the rule can most definitely be envisaged (and yes, I'm still expecting Newgate to be an expendable entity in this case).........
Closed Thread