AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-18, 09:15   Link #1
Seiryuu

Antiheroes and antileaders

This is an idea that came to me from an old novel called The Book of Three. I was wondering if there were any works that took the idea of the weak, unreliable hero-to-be and took it even farther: he's the "hero" and the "leader" of a band of "adventurers", but no one actually treats him like it at all. They don't follow his orders; if he says right, they go left. They don't have any faith in his combat ability, or his intelligence, or anything that would be needed to lead. Yet still they share his goal and they're all here because of him. Maybe it's his spirit and drive, and maybe they have hope that someday he'll be able to stand for himself, but they choose to stay with him and accompany him on his quest, even if he's the last one to have any say in where that quest goes. In a way, for a time at least, the only way the guy contributed to the cause was that if he weren't there, the others either wouldn't have come, or they would have fought each other; it's because he's here that they're able to fight.
Taran of Caer Dallben from The Book of Three is very much like this, lacking in magic, strength, intelligence, or any real definable worth; yet the heroes are all there because of him (this does change later as he does grow into someone of true worth, but that's a few books down the line).
Old 2010-07-18, 09:31   Link #2
james0246

I'm never sure if you actually watch these shows, or if you just want to know if similar characters/charateristics exist in anime/manga...

It just started, but Komuro Takashi from Highschool of the Dead. He lacks the fighting skill of his friends, but due to his determination the other survivors of the zombie apocalypse follow him.

Additionally, "Hero" from Mahoujin Guruguru is treated quite badly by everyone, but because the "Chosen One" of the series sees him as a Hero, everyone else is forced to...

Parn, from Record of Lodoss War, also follows this path, starting as a nobody that slowly becomes the leader of a group despite his lack of skill (early on)...

Luke from Tales of the Abyss: Starts off as a spoiled rotten brat that various characters follow because they have, but he eventually matures to the point where the other characters want to follow him...
Old 2010-07-18, 09:38   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the first Druaga series, Tower of Druaga, fits this well.
Old 2010-07-18, 09:46   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
A Certain Magical Index?

Oh... Touch. Yeah... Touch has this pretty well covered.

Mirai Nikki might fit.

Baka to Test?

But I'd go with Touch first.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-18, 15:43   Link #5
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I'm never sure if you actually watch these shows, or if you just want to know if similar characters/charateristics exist in anime/manga...

It just started, but Komuro Takashi from Highschool of the Dead. He lacks the fighting skill of his friends, but due to his determination the other survivors of the zombie apocalypse follow him.

Additionally, "Hero" from Mahoujin Guruguru is treated quite badly by everyone, but because the "Chosen One" of the series sees him as a Hero, everyone else is forced to...

Parn, from Record of Lodoss War, also follows this path, starting as a nobody that slowly becomes the leader of a group despite his lack of skill (early on)...

Luke from Tales of the Abyss: Starts off as a spoiled rotten brat that various characters follow because they have, but he eventually matures to the point where the other characters want to follow him...
It sort of depends. Some I've already watched. Some I read up on to find out a bit more about the whole setting. Most of the time I will watch if I haven't already, at least enough to see what it's like.
I have the OVA version of Lodoss. Don't think I have the TV version. Almost forgot that one but yeah, it does sort of fit pretty well.
Closed Thread