AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-01-18, 03:41   Link #1
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Madoka Magica - Character Discussion - Kyubei

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kyuube related.

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Madoka Magica fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 03:47   Link #2
Taufiq91

He's basically a mixture of JC Staff Cat designs, all the Dragonets from Narutaru and Gauron's arm slave design from Full Metal Panic.
Old 2011-01-18, 11:16   Link #3
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
By seeing some fans' reactions, to be honest I've never seen an (often literal) demonization of a character so early for something so cute.
Old 2011-01-18, 11:32   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
By seeing some fans' reactions, to be honest I've never seen an (often literal) demonization of a character so early for something so cute.
True. It's not so often that "mascot characters" are suspected of being evil. Even though he's very cute (is he male of female? I'm not even sure), there's something that doesn't feel right about him. For one, he never blinks nor opens his mouth, and he watches little girls sleep... that's pretty creepy if you ask me
Old 2011-01-18, 21:50   Link #5
Kakkou
Tch.

I don't think I've ever immediately thought of a cute mascot character as a suspicious bastard right off the bat as I have with Kyubey. Maybe it's the paranoia of knowing who the writer is but that little critter had me on full guard on the first episode itself and nothing so far has made me feel otherwise.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-19, 21:12   Link #6
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
True. It's not so often that "mascot characters" are suspected of being evil. Even though he's very cute (is he male of female? I'm not even sure), there's something that doesn't feel right about him. For one, he never blinks nor opens his mouth, and he watches little girls sleep... that's pretty creepy if you ask me
I think he is a male with a little boy's voice judging by what I'm hearing from his voice actor. But he is telepathically communicating with the magical girls since there is really no need to use his mouth since no one except magical girls can see him. But watching little girls sleep is scary indeed..
Old 2011-01-20, 12:56   Link #7
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

For me, the reason for disliking this critter is because of his resemblance to Koyemshi from Bokurano. His role, mannerisms, sweet talk and overall look especially his unblinking eyes makes him very untrustworthy.
Quote:
watches little girls sleep
also this.
Old 2011-01-20, 23:14   Link #8
Asterisk
Irregularity

Did you see his expression when Mami died? Yeah, I didn't either.
Old 2011-01-21, 01:39   Link #9
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
This is immediately after the witch drops Mami's body the first time (prior to diving for it and presumably eating it).

Lest you think Kyuube is only capable of that evil smiley face:

creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 02:10   Link #10
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
For some reason hate that creepy little guy. The watching girl's sleep part aside, certainly a lack of reaction at Mami's death. Sure can twist it at worry about the other girls, but seemed more like he was thinking "chance!"
Old 2011-01-21, 08:56   Link #11
Kakkou
Tch.

At first I felt that Kyubey's timing when he approached Mami to contract her was a little convenient, but then I recalled how it was explained that witches curses are strong around traffic accidents and such, so I can't help but think Kyubey goes around to places like that to look for miserable little girls to contract with. This may not be too far fetched considering he comes of as an opportunistic little bastard who seems to care more about contracts. Bet he was all "Oh yay, dying little girl spotted~ :3" when he saw Mami.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 11:13   Link #12
Genten
has a custom user title

Finally I get enough information to make a post about Kyubey XD

Spoiler for Kyubey:
Old 2011-01-21, 12:13   Link #13
Mentar
Banned

I think you're completely missing the point, Genten. It's not Kyubey's intention to _kill_ Magical Girls, it's his intention to _create_ them. He is trying to keep this system running because its rules inherently ensure that every girl joining it LOSES. By creating Magical Girls, he's creating persons who will eventually turn into witches and die.

He doesn't want to directly interfere, because he doesn't need to. It's the system which is doing the dirty work. He's only trying to keep the engine running, by adding more and more girls to it. They're merely fuel that is processed by the meatgrinder.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 18:57   Link #14
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

imagine how that annoyingly unchanging look on his face finally morphs into a wide maniacal grin akin to light's 0_O

but in any case,i still consider that the other twist includes him to be actually an innocent character despite being the most suspicious of all.XD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 17:41   Link #15
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
What expression? Qべ has always the same expression, it is a pulsie, and keeping the same expression adds to the whole speculation about its motivtion, since it is impossible to tell apart his feelings by his non-existant expressions
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 23:16   Link #16
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Uhh .. I'm just wondering what is the REAL name of this creature ? The title says Kyuube, wiki says Kyubey and I swear i've seen one more alternative somewhere .. :x
Old 2011-01-22, 23:29   Link #17
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Uhh .. I'm just wondering what is the REAL name of this creature ? The title says Kyuube, wiki says Kyubey and I swear i've seen one more alternative somewhere .. :x
Title goes by Japanese Pronunciation (キュゥべえ, Kyuubee) Wiki goes by regular pronunciation (Kyubey) so if you want the real name, I would go with the Japanese Pronunciation. Either doesn't really affect anything.
Old 2011-01-23, 02:49   Link #18
Silverwyrm

This post contains speculation

Im not sold that he is "evil" yet, he may just be morally gray. Witches are bad and cause problems, only magical girls can kill witches. So he finds them to do just that and offers them candy (wish) as incentive. After this, they are trapped as a magical girl forever (? no idea) and have to fight witches until they die. It could be, he just doesn't care that he's ruining their lives as long as the overall goal of "kill witches" is done in the process and...it kind of has to be done either way right?

In any case, there are a few questions we need first answered to know more

1) where do witches come from?
2) how long does being magical girl last? forever?
3) what happens to depleted soul gems/do they deplete on their own without being used?
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 02:57   Link #19
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
2) how long does being magical girl last? forever?
Well here is my guess on this one, I believe that magical girls generally last forever. Otherwise Mami would have set a goal for herself, and wouldn't feel so much pressure on herself. Also, we don't generally know how long Mami has been a magical girl, so when she was out of that crisis it could have been possible that she has been a magical girl for a long time that if there was a time limit, it would have expired.

Quote:
3) what happens to depleted soul gems/do they deplete on their own without being used?
I believe the depleted soul gems generally mean the end of the person, I think they don't deplete on their own. But the magical girls are forced into combat with witches that make them use magic, so it doesn't last forever.
Old 2011-01-23, 05:45   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Kyubey is the official spelling.

Tags
characters