AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 27 32.93%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 35.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 20.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.10%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.22%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-17, 23:36   Link #121
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Geekish stuff are hobbyists of popular culture. Like Trekkies, Star Wars Fans and Otaku.
On that thought:

Geeks = Trekkers

Nerds = Trekkies

Old 2007-08-18, 00:24   Link #122
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
You can probably extend that to most of Asia, because my entire family prefer showers at night.
Yeah, showers at night is probably an Asian thing, although the Japanese are particular about their bath. I used to just take showers until I found out the joy of the bath first through spa, and right now I'm just out of my bath; beer in hand (milk is just as awesome), on a Friday night. Juuuust perfect

As always, AVPlaya, thanks for your posts! I still need to spread my cookies around more...
Old 2007-08-18, 17:38   Link #123
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 19 References Part III

Okay enough laziness.. let's get this finished up. A lot of Otaku Ref in this one so it maybe shorter - my otaku-knowledge isn't that fabulous as you all know. All this is from Part B (after first eyecatch).

Spoiler for Long post! Unhide to read.:

====
Okay that's part III! I thought it's supposed to be short but it's still long! Damn can KyoAni cram any more references in this little show?

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-19 at 18:35.
Old 2007-08-18, 18:08   Link #124
Raykun
Protect my imouto ~

eps 19 i giv it a 9/10
Old 2007-08-18, 21:24   Link #125
Minorou
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to Minorou Send a message via MSN to Minorou
Another great explanation, AVPlaya! Keep it up; they're a good read and are very educational! I look forward to reading future explanations.
It may just be the fact that I'm rather hungry at the moment, but your description of Melon-pan makes my mouth water. I should see if I can get a taste of one sometime... they sound delicious!
Old 2007-08-18, 21:36   Link #126
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Thanks for another super awesome post!

I adore meronpan... It's so sweet, I can feel my teeth rotting everytime I eat it.
Old 2007-08-18, 21:49   Link #127
aorta

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure did have some OVAs (13 total episodes) and a movie.
Old 2007-08-18, 22:23   Link #128
Calawain
Gaijin

Good stuff once again, cultural stuff is always fun!
Old 2007-08-18, 23:51   Link #129
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post

Melon Pan!
Also many Westerner will find it strange, but bread is absolutely huge in Japan. Every street has a bakery or sorts and most Japanese eat toasts for breakfast now (as you can tell from anime). IMHO bread in Japan and other part of Asia are 100 x better than the bread in the US, and since they really fuse the best of all worlds, the best bakeries in Japan are even better than the best bakeries in Paris. You really have to visit one of them to really know the incredible variety and flavors Japanese bread offers. Same goes with Cakes and other sweets, but that's another post altogether.
Considering how popular Yakitate! Japan is, I'm not surprised!

(and Kazuma's novel take on melon-pan was ingenious!)

Old 2007-08-20, 14:39   Link #130
Dflowen
Lexus/Porsche Runner

what is that chin chin translation, I know the Italian part, how about the Japanese? In the guerrand translation it said dogs standing on their hind legs.
Old 2007-08-20, 15:00   Link #131
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Seek and ye shall find.
Old 2007-08-20, 15:55   Link #132
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I've been relating myself to Kuroi-sensei when it comes to aging and messing up my own sleep schedule.
Having worked in security during night shift, I've experienced paranoid moments when I heard unidentified noises. In that regard, I knew how Tsukasa did feel.

That chin-chin bit was excellent.
But this is the Hiyori + Minami x Yutaka chemistry that won me over.

And I am falling in love with that weird Indian Dhalsim-like music that plays whenever Hiyori is on screen (first heard it in ep 18 then in this one).

This episode did work for me.
Old 2007-08-21, 09:06   Link #133
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Really, it depends on the area where you live in. In some places geek is someone who's tech savvy while nerd is someone academic savvy, while others have both of them being passionate about a certain thing, but geek is a 'certified expert' (through studies or what not) while a nerd is someone who just has passing knowledge about that thing (more of an amateur of sorts).

And of course, there's different connotations according to the region. Some places have geek as the compliment while nerd is derogatory. This often is related to social adeptness, with one nerd being the socially inept one.

And then there's places who has it the other way around. And of course there's someone out there who uses both interchangebly.

I'm really tempted to upload my Nerds: A Documentary that was showcased in this years Anime North just to showcase how people differ in their definitions of nerd and geek, but since the makers specifically said not to spread it over the web... XD

And lets not get into the way some people classify geek and nerd into the dork/nerd/geek spectrum...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-08-21, 12:27   Link #134
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
And I am falling in love with that weird Indian Dhalsim-like music that plays whenever Hiyori is on screen (first heard it in ep 18 then in this one).

This episode did work for me.
Aye... I hope the OST is complete (like the AzuDa, Paniponi Dash, and Petopeto-san OSTs were). I'm liking a lot of the BGM (especially that half-insane neko-singing festival tune played when Kona and Kagami enter "comedy duo mode".
Old 2007-08-21, 13:15   Link #135
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I think I may have discovered the reason behind the sudden Gundam references in Lucky Star. Check Here. Frankly I'm more intrigued by the Flagship Keroro Manga.
Old 2007-08-21, 16:50   Link #136
kevin13
Disabled By Request

A.F.K subs are out
Old 2007-08-22, 01:30   Link #137
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Just for add on

Spoiler for spoiler 1:

Spoiler for spoiler 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Nanako the Violent Teacher
When she hits Konata, two person appears in the flash": Akira and Kanata.
Don't forget the third one that appears along with Akira during the flash

Spoiler:

Last edited by margafred; 2007-08-22 at 01:45.
Old 2007-08-22, 02:30   Link #138
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

I havent gone through this whole thread yet so I dont know if this has been posted but i just paused episode 19 for now to post this,. Cousin Yui is reading fate/stay night, awesome!

EDIT:
Alrighty just finished the episode. Its cool how they split the episode into 2 now. Part 1 is konatas krew and part two is her cousins crew. The artist girl is awesome, her flip was great! And their teacher has a wii!!
This is one of the episodes where i actually understood all the anime references.

THere is one thing wrong though. The artist girl likes Suzaku!! Is it the suzaku from code geass?

Last edited by Double_Edge; 2007-08-22 at 02:52.
Old 2007-08-22, 04:46   Link #139
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
That's just beautiful! I figured some Japanese must have ponds... It's just nice to read about ponds (with koi!) in the yard, as that's something that would be considered rare here... *Especially* rare where I live.
We have a pond with goldfish...

It used to be a spar
Old 2007-08-22, 05:12   Link #140
darksider

Well, let me correct this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
Just for add on

Spoiler for spoiler 1:
That apparently is one of the famous Shigaraki-yaki ceramic tanuki statues, not a Totoro!
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BF%...A5%BD%E7%84%BC

I think these things are all too common (just like jizou by roadsides or something), so very few Japanese will take any notice of them anyway - but now come to think of it, what's with it in the yard of a Shinto priest's?
Well, they just don't care too much about anything unimportant maybe.

And, as for the possibility of some quotation from Totoro or any of Ghibli's works, I guess it is utterly impossible. Since Hayao Miyazaki believes and once openly said that 'anime is basically for children', and more than that, he abhors those otaku and their cultures (and I believe no one ever was brave enough to oppose him.)
Making a long story very short, even if Kyoani staffs are all Shiraishi-minded, it still will be extremely hard to show them up in their own show.
Closed Thread