AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-29, 10:31   Link #1
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Need some suggestions for Horror/Supernatural anime.

Like title says, I'd like to hear some recommendations for Horror anime, with a supernatural element. Which basically means, do not suggest anime such as Higurashi or alike.

I've seen Ghost Hound, and Ghost Hunt to mention couple, and I'd be interested to hear suggestions for similar animes.

Thanks.
Old 2009-05-29, 11:59   Link #2
jedinat

xxxHOLiC - a nice supernatural anime with an element of horror to it, the horror aspect being largely dependent on which individual episodes and story arcs you are viewing
Kyuuketsuki Miyu - a pretty good (short) supernatural/horror-ish anime
Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror - the bakeneko arc is good
Old 2009-05-29, 12:24   Link #3
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Well I could of course now suggest you Umineko, since Magic is a really relevant factor
Now being serious, well~

Princess Resurrection, might be the thing you search for or
Shikabane Hime

But I can second xxxHolic it's great
Old 2009-05-29, 13:09   Link #4
Dist

Meh, I've seen xxxHolic. Plus I don't think xxxHolic has anything to do with horror. The point was here that the main element of series horror, but with supernatural additions. Like for example, Higurashi ( afaik? ) doesn't have supernaturalness in it, but it's an horror anime. However, something like Ghost Hunt was pretty scary at times, and it obviously was supernatural, hence the ghosts etc.

Thanks though :<

Edit : Oh yes, Aykashi seems nice, thanks for that. I should have mentioned though, I don't like old anime. So anything made before year 2000, probably isn't something I'd like to watch.
Old 2009-05-29, 13:37   Link #5
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Plus I don't think xxxHolic has anything to do with horror.
Ghosts, disembodied hands, youkai, hauntings, curses... yeah, nothing to do with horror.
I don't really find any anime scary, but it did have at least one episode that was about as creepy as anything in Ghost Hunt. It's all cool though, you've seen it; your opinion, etc.

Quote:
I don't like old anime. So anything made before year 2000, probably isn't something I'd like to watch.
Your loss. I like modern animation as much as the next guy, but there are some great anime pre-2000 (a lot of utter crap too of course, but that can be said for today as well).
Old 2009-05-29, 13:42   Link #6
Dist

Well yeah it's a matter of opinion. Just for myself, stuff in xxxHolic wasn't scary. Supernatural yes, but not scary. I'm quite sensitive for scary stuff, so that's why I found some parts in Ghost Hunt/Hound scary.

And I know, there seems to be alot great anime storywise which is old, but I can't just help but dislike the animation. One Piece is the only exception, and I think that too started on late 1999 so nearly 2000 anyway.
Old 2009-05-29, 14:23   Link #7
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Give Requiem from the Darkness a try. Fits perfectly what you want.

Quote:
Tired of writing riddles for children, Yamaoka Momosuke plans on gathering spooky and gruesome stories and publishing them in an anthology called Hyakumonogatari ("One Hundred Tales"). While researching these old myths and legends he comes across a mysterious trio who call themselves the Ongyou. They are detectives who are investigating the legends to reveal their truths...and bring those in the wrong to justice. Each time Momosuke meets the Ongyou he must face horrible truths and battle with his morals, but he's seeing things he shouldn't be seeing...
Genres: fantasy, horror, mystery, psychological, supernatural
Old 2009-05-29, 15:19   Link #8
qwertyuiopz

narutaru
hell girl
chaos;head
Old 2009-05-29, 17:07   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror - the bakeneko arc is good
Cheap, too. Just $7 for the DVD at RightStuf. The unlicensed Mononoke tells of other adventures by the demon-slaying medicine seller whom we meet in the Bakeneko arc.

Some of the folks involved with Mononoke at Toei later released Hakaba Kitaro ("Graveyard Kitaro"). It's drawn in a comic-book style, though, and is more oriented toward humor than horror.

Dennou Coil, though putatively a science-fiction show, sometimes has the feel of a supernatural show. You'll notice they use the same type of charms that the medicine seller wields in Mononoke.

There are few pure "horror" animes that I've seen. Shows with a supernatural component, on the other hand, are very common. One recent show that might fit your request is Mouryou no Hako, though there are still four more episodes remaining to be subbed.
Old 2009-05-29, 17:57   Link #10
f4nt4

i second mononoke and ayakashi.
also try Jigoku Shoujo, it's about humans taken into hell.

btw, higurashi does have supernatural theme
Spoiler for higurashi spoiler:
Old 2009-05-29, 19:08   Link #11
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

How about Boogiepop Phantom? It's heavy on the supernatural elements of the show, and has a good psychological edge to it as well.

It is from 2000 and I know you said you mainly wanted post-2000 stuff, but I think it's definitely worth a look if you want a good supernatural show.
Old 2009-05-30, 14:47   Link #12
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Will just repost one of my ancient posts made in another thread . Also SeijiSensei post in that thread is a must read ...

Spoiler for SeijiSensei:

Spoiler for Now me:

EDIT : Reference thread here
Old 2009-05-30, 14:55   Link #13
Dist

Thanks for the above poster. I'll be sure to check out those I haven't. Also I was just about to write a rant about Ayakashi how the first episode got me dead bored, but now after reading the thread again, I realised I had downloaded completely different anime, called Ayakashi Ayashi xD.
Old 2009-05-30, 15:10   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

One of the other famed horror show left in my previous post has to be Hundred Stories . Wonderful show with right amounts of supernatural horror mystery and suspense . In my personal opinion its a must watch for a supernatural/horror fan .

Hundred Stories is nicely reviewed / summarized here

Regarding Ayakashi the first few arcs are tad boring esp the Lemonn Dono one . If your planning to drop the show watch the last arc Bake Neko / Medicine Seller . As the arc are not related and feature a new set of characters wont feel strange. Also the last arc is a prequel to another great show Mononoke .

Ayakashi Ayashi well the first two episodes are very confusing and takes a bit to understand what exactly is going on . Its one of those cases of bad starts good anime . Even GH started out like that , if you are willing to show patience things drastically improve from episode 3 onwards .
Old 2009-05-30, 15:47   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Also SeijiSensei post in that thread is a must read ...
Thanks!
Old 2009-06-01, 20:34   Link #16
Dist

Well, I picked up Denno Coil from the SeijiSensei's list, and it was good actually. Although I disliked the character design at first, I got used to it. I have to say though, I don't see the '' hint of supernatural '' as he mentioned in the series, not that it really mattered.

Though the topic was originally about Horror/Supernatural, does anyone know any anime similar to Denno Coil ? You know, like.. virtual world, cyberspace and stuff like that.
Old 2009-06-01, 20:54   Link #17
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Well, I picked up Denno Coil from the SeijiSensei's list, and it was good actually. Although I disliked the character design at first, I got used to it. I have to say though, I don't see the '' hint of supernatural '' as he mentioned in the series, not that it really mattered.

Though the topic was originally about Horror/Supernatural, does anyone know any anime similar to Denno Coil ? You know, like.. virtual world, cyberspace and stuff like that.
Serial Experiments Lain Ehh. Not much else to say.
Old 2009-06-01, 22:35   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Well, I picked up Denno Coil from the SeijiSensei's list, and it was good actually. Although I disliked the character design at first, I got used to it. I have to say though, I don't see the '' hint of supernatural '' as he mentioned in the series, not that it really mattered
As I mentioned above, there are places throughout the show where the director includes touches that connote the supernatural like the charms Megabaa creates. The black, gooey, amorphous illegals also have a certain air of the supernatural about them. Also, as the Wikipedia entry for Coil observes, there are repeated suggestions that children can "lose their souls" in the VR world, particularly if led there by "Michiko-san."

Most Japanese science-fiction shows I've seen occupy a place between science and fantasy. Even shows with apparently strong scientific material like Noein seem more fantasy than science. There are a few shows like Planetes that stress scientific realism, but shows like Ghost Hound or Noein use science to motivate what are fundamentally fantasies.

I started rewatching Natsume Yuujinchou this evening. That's an excellent show about the supernatural, though it doesn't have a "horror" component. If anything, it often tells quite sentimental stories, as is common with "slice-of-life" shows.
Old 2009-06-02, 07:54   Link #19
Dist

Meh. I actually tried to download Natsume Yuujinchou, but I'd only find torrents for the second season with still seeds in them, and obviously I can't start from the second one, if the stories are even slightly related :<.

And well yeah I guess you're right about Dennou Coil, just didn't think about it so thoroughly. And I have to say, I do like more animes with sci-fi+Fantasy rather than just pure sci-fi, like Planetes. I've seen Noein for example, and I really liked it.

Also as for Serial Experiments Lain, like I said, art before from 2000 is a huge turnoff. What I don't get is that why the cover of the DVD box of Lain looks so good, why the hell is the animation so crappy looking ? Since the anime is from 1998, I'd expect the cover to look bad aswell.

Last edited by Dist; 2009-06-02 at 08:35.
Old 2009-06-02, 08:23   Link #20
denice25

Ayakashi
Kyuuketsuki Miyu....
Closed Thread

Tags
horror, supernatural