AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2012-10-26, 07:12   Link #9901
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Hello, Fairy Tail fans! I'm starting to pick up the manga series (just started at Volume 1) after seeing the end of the Cait Shelter/Nirvana Arc, some parts of the anime-original Daphne Arc and the beginning of the Edolas Arc (c/o Animax Asia) and there are some questions that I wanna ask:

How far did I land in the anime series?
• I remember some references to particular terms in Groove Adventure RAVE in Fairy Tail, especially Oracion Seis and Ethelion/Etherion, Erza Knightwalker's version of the Ten Commandments, and the similarities of some of the characters' designs with RAVE's (Jellal and Sieghart come to mind). Are there any more references to RAVE in the series?
• What are the anime original arcs of the anime series?
• Does anyone here like Juvia's personality?

I thought that Fairy Tail would be a rip-off of One Piece, but it looks like it would be a more interesting series.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 07:19   Link #9902
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for 305:

btw, Gray's clothes reminds me of a jacketless Ragna the Bloodedge. Ironically, Gray is voiced by Yuichi Nakamura which voices Hazama. lol

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 07:21   Link #9903
Chris38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

For the first question, you are around chapter 164 -165.

About the second question, it's simple those are arc's that aren't in the manga, designed / created by the anime studio, in other words, the so called "filler arcs"
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 07:28   Link #9904
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ No, I mean which episodes are those? I'm planning to take note of those episodes so that I'll watch them exclusively while I focus on the manga (like in Bleach, there's just too little time to spend on every single episode. )

And welp, I'm smack dab in the middle of the manga.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2012-10-26, 07:29   Link #9905
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Hello, Fairy Tail fans! I'm starting to pick up the manga series (just started at Volume 1) after seeing the end of the Cait Shelter/Nirvana Arc, some parts of the anime-original Daphne Arc and the beginning of the Edolas Arc (c/o Animax Asia) and there are some questions that I wanna ask:

• I remember some references to particular terms in Groove Adventure RAVE in Fairy Tail, especially Oracion Seis and Ethelion/Etherion, Erza Knightwalker's version of the Ten Commandments, and the similarities of some of the characters' designs with RAVE's (Jellal and Sieghart come to mind). Are there any more references to RAVE in the series?
•If you've watched as far as the start of Edolas, it's not that far away from where the manga is right now
after Edolas is Tenrou Island arc already. After that is the Dragon Festival arc, which is where we are
•There's a special chapter where Rave meets Fairy Tail
•I don't watch the anime so I don't know what the filler arcs are. Here's the list of FT manga's main arcs.. the ones I recall
-Lullaby arc
-Deliora arc
-Phantom Lord arc
-Jellal arc
-Laxus arc
-Nirvana arc
-Edolas arc
-Tenrou Island arc
-Dragon Festival arc
•Juvia is my favorite girl of the series. Next is Mira. Erza, Lucy and Wendy are awesome but they're pretty overrated by now.

Last edited by Frailty; 2012-12-15 at 21:48.
Old 2012-10-26, 07:39   Link #9906
Kafriel
Senior Guest

@ Marcus H.: The only filler arc for Fairy Tail is the key of the starry sky, spanning from episode 128 to 151. Although it's an AO arc, its elements have been incorporated in the later manga chapters, so watching it will clear up a few things about certain characters and places.

Rave references: Plue is now a celestial spirit, a certain character comes to own a Musica sword later on, while another uses cookie killer's DarkBring as break magic.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2012-10-26 at 08:11.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 07:39   Link #9907
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Chapter 305: Awesome. Mavis shows why she was the original guild leader. There had to be some reason, other than Fairy magics and cuteness. But the real test will be when they face harder foes, which is starting with Rufus vs. Gray.

And why did they have Lucy change into the clothes from Charle's vision? Wouldn't Charle go: "Hey, wait a minute... that's what you were wearing in my vision!"

And of course, Laxus blocking the lightning will get Ogra interested, and he'll go after Laxus. That will probably take up the chapter after Gray vs. Rufus.

Didn't see the floor thing comin'. Why do I get the feeling they are gonna stumble upon the Eclipse Gate and active it?

Quote:
Fairly far. I would recommend starting from the beginning, either manga or anime, or even both. Early on, the anime suffers a bit from stock footage, but it gets fairly awesome after a dozen or so episodes.

Quote:
I haven't seen RAVE myself, so I can't tell you. But Mashima is the manga artist who wrote RAVE, so it's not surprising to see similarities in art styles.

Quote:
Daphne arc and Key of the Starry Sky arc (the latter of which *just* finished in the anime). There are a few one-shot eps here and there, but very few.

Quote:
Of course. She's awesome, and totally belongs in Fairy Tail.

Quote:
I thought that Fairy Tail would be a rip-off of One Piece, but it looks like it would be a more interesting series.
That's because One Piece is more of a standard, typical straight shonen series. A lot of manga artists go for straight shonen or shoujo, to appeal to the largest possible base, and thus boost their sales numbers. It's fine for people who like that sort of thing, but Fairy Tail incoporates more than just typical shonen elements, which I find is what gives it it's appeal to me. There are male and female leads and villains, topics that involve more than just fighting like romance and mystery. No dropped plot threads, and a tighter storyline that is just complex enough to be interesting, but not so complex that you need a huge chart to keep track of everything (including dropped plot threads).

We also seem to be getting close to the end, so I'm grateful this won't be a 10+ year manga, heh.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 07:44   Link #9908
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, I saw how long a single chapter is (40+ on average, compared to the 20+ of a single Bleach chapter), so this would be a long read. Hopefully I'd be able to absorb everything and reach the anime series' latest episodes' discussion.

Old 2012-10-26, 07:49   Link #9909
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Fairy Tail's a weekly manga so it has 18-20+ pages per chapter. the only one that exceeds that is the first chapter IIRC

Old 2012-10-26, 08:19   Link #9910
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I always wondering why Mavis still in this arc?? is she something like immortal being (fairy) and get freed after S-class test arc?
how long will she stay?? I'm suggesting Makarov to return guild master position to Mavis

loli-strategist FTW
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 08:36   Link #9911
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

technically, Mavis is dead
only FT members can see and communicate with her.
they wouldn't want a ghost(?) for a guild master now do they?

I guess fans wanted more of her since her introduction so Mashima made her stay.

Old 2012-10-26, 08:39   Link #9912
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Shokatsuryo-chan...is that you?
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 10:10   Link #9913
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Hnn, if Sabertooth was utilizing the spirit of a past guild master to think of their strategies for them, would we call it cheating? Double standards FTW. XD

More Mavis is a good thing.

Although, where have I seen this kind of power before...it's like an upgraded version of Hibiki's 'Archive' but I know that I've seen it in another anime/manga.
Old 2012-10-26, 10:23   Link #9914
II Maestro

Mavis sure is cute giving FT some info on the battle field, Don't underestimate the Dead/Loli Master.

So Ichiya got owned in one page and no come from behind victory, Men~!
Old 2012-10-26, 11:27   Link #9915
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Although, where have I seen this kind of power before...
In Fringe, for sure :P Also in SCRYED, though in a different manner.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 13:20   Link #9916
kitten320

Quote:
^ No, I mean which episodes are those? I'm planning to take note of those episodes so that I'll watch them exclusively while I focus on the manga (like in Bleach, there's just too little time to spend on every single episode. )

And welp, I'm smack dab in the middle of the manga.
Every arc is manga material in anime.
The Daphne arc was a tiny filler, not very successful one.

The only other filler arc is the one that finished not so long ago, a clock arc. You'll recognize it by seeing new character named Michele and some of Edolas characters.

However, it was a successful arc and I do recommend to watch it. There were several silly episodes and moments but over all it had a lot of nice twists worth the watch.

Besides creators managed to blend it well with manga material so it doesn't feel out of place and actually adds up to what manga had missed a bit.
Old 2012-10-26, 15:45   Link #9917
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
technically, Mavis is dead
only FT members can see and communicate with her.
they wouldn't want a ghost(?) for a guild master now do they?
personally I think an epic ghost guild master is amazing. no one can do harm to her since they can't even see her. there'll be no secret strategy to take down the FT master like Jose did back in the phantom vs FT arc.
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-26, 18:37   Link #9918
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
In Fringe, for sure :P Also in SCRYED, though in a different manner.
Can you point out the character in Fringe that has this power, please?

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 00:33   Link #9919
HiddenMessage
Tofu Driver

Isn't Master Mavis's strategy/commanding her kids in to battle considered "outside interference"? Shame on you people who are blinded by her cute appearance. Yaaaay! gogogoogogo Master Mavis! xD
HiddenMessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-27, 01:23   Link #9920
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenMessage View Post
Isn't Master Mavis's strategy/commanding her kids in to battle considered "outside interference"? Shame on you people who are blinded by her cute appearance. Yaaaay! gogogoogogo Master Mavis! xD
Outside interference? What are you talking about? All I see is team Fairy Tail being extra strategic, there is no first master giving them help of which you speak of (she's only visible to the guild, and with all the crap FT went though in this tourney, cut them some slack would ya?)

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen