AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-18, 01:13   Link #121
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Man, I was disappointed with the visuals in ep 56. VERY. In the 1999 version, the Spiders looked like they actually were pursuing something, reflected in how they were animated, but in 2011, I didn't get that impression at all; they looked like they were going for a early morning jog =02. Of course, the 1999 version was OVA quality(as it was an OVA), so it's not like I was expecting 2011 to be a better animated version, but the way it was drawn was really s****y.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 17:20   Link #122
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 56-

Spoiler for Part 1:

--

Spoiler for Part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 22:32   Link #123
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Episode 56 2011 and 1999 aren't far off from each other.

Dislikes: 2011 had Spiders prancing around like they're jogging for breast cancer.

Like: 1999/2011 different variant of head cutting, excellent! The uses of gyro by the girls look much cooler in 1999 and Nippo had me with the extra filler, where the Spiders did the actual car chase!
Old 2012-11-19, 04:30   Link #124
butahill
Inactive Member

I would give it 9/10 too.

Wish Squala's memories of Eliza were shown in Madhouse's adaptation too.
It would give more sadness to it.
Still an excellent episode.
butahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 12:03   Link #125
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I understand some people saying Gyo looked cooler in the OVA version. I really do. I kind of like the "crude" version of the 2011 series better though. Call me a manga purist if you will. It's probably true, and the main reason I'm biased towards the 2011 series.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 02:29   Link #126
waterdragon1793

I am a huge fan of the 2011 remake, but this is the episode where I can say the old anime was better. The fillers, the music, and how they did all the scenes were all just better. I wish they did not remove those people in the cars in Squala's death scene. And the ending felt very rushed. Pakunoda shooting the memories to Nobunaga and Kortopi should not have been rushed that way. I would rather them end it right after Squala's death and Nobunaga learning that Pakunoda had gotten the info. The rest could have been the next episode's prologue.
waterdragon1793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 11:53   Link #127
Clarste
Human

I disagree. I think the old one wasted way too much time on the memory bullet scene. However, I do agree that it was rushed for a slightly different reason. In the manga it was implied that nobody in the Ryodan had ever seen Pakunoda use this ability before (there were a number of discussions earlier in the hideout that implied that they don't all have familiarity with each other's abilities). Which means that Nobunaga let her shoot him in the head with no hesitation whatsoever, and even scoffed at the idea that he should have reason to hesitate. Lots of trust there.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 16:27   Link #128
kitten320

But Nobunaga, Pakunoda, Feitan, Franklin, Sphinx and Machi are the first Spider members. They should know the most about each other.
I don't think that their abilities are a mystery to each other. It could be for other members.
Old 2012-11-23, 17:32   Link #129
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
But Nobunaga, Pakunoda, Feitan, Franklin, Sphinx and Machi are the first Spider members. They should know the most about each other.
I don't think that their abilities are a mystery to each other. It could be for other members.
Take it like the situation happening now with Kurapika. He told his friends of his abilities because he thought the Spiders were dead, but now that they are alive, he's afraid that they will get the information from them since now they know what it is.

If the Spiders told each other all their abilities, then Hisoka would've told Kurapika everything and that would be very dangerous.
Old 2012-11-23, 22:22   Link #130
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
This is what make Hunter x Hunter different from other shounens. In another shounen, the characters would have gone in a long winded explanation about their powers. Hunter x Hunter characters knows that this spells death. I think that other than Hunter x Hunter, only Jojo avoided that pitfall since Stands were introduced, since figuring out a Stand's workings, strenght and weakness IS part of the fun in Jojo.
Old 2012-11-24, 02:25   Link #131
waterdragon1793

Yes, they should find a way somehow to imply that nobody knew Pakunoda could transform memories into bullets and shoot them to people. Maybe in the next episodes.

Although I wonder what they thought was Pakunoda's main ability and why they were a bit surprised that Pakunoda was going to shoot them in the head. Because in order to conjure those memory bullets she needs the same image training of conjurers, I assume she is able to conjure regular working bullets as well, and I have always assumed that that was her combat ability that the Ryodan knew of. Or did they always just think that Pakunoda is just a memory reader and she has no combat ability? So in fights they're like, hey you're useless, here's a gun, use it?
Old 2012-11-24, 16:15   Link #132
Clarste
Human

There's no reason Nen wouldn't work with a gun for the same reason it works with playing cards or other throwing weapons. So she shoots nen-enhanced bullets that can do more damage than a normal bullet. Conjuring bullets without any crazy properties seems like a complete waste of time, actually (for reasons given by Kurapika's nen trainer). But yes, I think they thought she had a non-combat hatsu. And she does, given that her memory bullets don't cause damage. That's not so rare though, is it? Cortopi's copying certainly isn't intuitively useful in combat, and even something like Shizuku's vacuum isn't necessarily better than hitting someone with a bat since it can't suck up living beings.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 21:45   Link #133
waterdragon1793

Yeah, I think you're right. Her only shooting nen-enhanced bullets, more powerful than regular ones, in combats makes sense, like Hisoka throwing nen-enhanced playing cards. And what they know is that her hatsu is purely non-combat, the same way Cortopi's abilities are only for faking and recon. After all they had said that she, along with Shalnark, serves to collect intelligence for the organization so her abilities would be very useful for that purpose. I think that's why Ryodan is so powerful -- they are such a great, working system. And that's right: the fact that Nobunaga had let her shoot him in the head, not knowing of Pakunoda's ability, proves that they have a LOT of trust in each other. And I think that's because him and Pakunoda are both original members from Meteor City.
Old 2012-11-24, 21:47   Link #134
waterdragon1793

Gosh I put a lot of commas in my sentences. That's horrendous. XD
Old 2012-12-03, 07:38   Link #135
SHINOBI-03

Better late than never.

-EPISODE 57-

Spoiler for Part 1:

--

Spoiler for Part 2:
Old 2012-12-04, 08:58   Link #136
waterdragon1793

From the looks of the preview, I feel like next episode, the finale of the Phantom Troupe, will be rushed in a terrible way. I think I can say that this part of the Yorknew Arc was done better in the OVA, aside from the lighting issues, of course.
Old 2012-12-05, 16:34   Link #137
butahill
Inactive Member

I actually loved this episode.
butahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 07:39   Link #138
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

That being said, this episode was pretty awesome. I actually found this episode's atmosphere better than in the OVA. I could literally feel the Nobunaga and Pakunoda freaking out over the Boss suddenly disappearing. Not to mention the suspense from Gon and Killua leading up to the kidnapping moment. It was very well done.

Last edited by monir; 2012-12-09 at 03:12. Reason: comments about reps removed
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 02:46   Link #139
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Man they rushed THE HELL out of ep 58 =0(! The OVA did a MUCH better job at building up the dramatic aspect of the end of the Yorkshin ark. At the very least, they could have slowed down the Paku scenes, since her death was the highlight of the end. Aside from some minor gripes and 'omissions'(from the OVA), I was pleased with the arc as a whole....until this last episode.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 04:30   Link #140
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I've finally caught up to this series. One of my major criticism toward the new adaptation is that at times there is not enough introspection. HxH stood alone from other shounen series I was watching at that time because how those introspective moments in this story rubbed off on me. It wasn't just about fighting or getting stronger. The story worked in a manner where I could feel sympathy even for the ruthless bunch as the Spiders. The new series tend to be devoid of a lot of these moments, probably because it wants to stay so true to the source material. That said, Paku's death still worked for me in episode 58, probably as much as in the old version. In this version, the series is relying mostly on the audience to see for themselves how Paku's last moment might have been like when she fully knew the consequence of using Nen by firing those bullets. The old version went further at expanding for the audience by peering into Paku's final thoughts. It also explained why Paku was asking the others in Spider for trusting her before she fired her gun. Both version have their merits at highlighting Paku's death and both version, I think, did pretty well at crossing the message that comradery isn't an alien of a concept even among these ruthless group of people that forms the Spider. My only wish was that the episode would end with the lingering note of somberness evoked by Paku's death. I was a little annoyed by the lighter moment near the end, but quickly got over it by that little flashback which showed why Paku was thankful to Gon and Killua. Episode 58 was excellent!

Episode 57.... I think the older version did much better, especially at playing out the final moments of Squalla's regret. I found that very touching for similar reasons above.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote